MasterSith

Are dogs worth 2 months of development time?

How important are dogs?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. How long would you wait for dogs?

• As long as it takes, I want my puppy!
    • Another month should be sufficient time to get the bugs out.
    • As soon as possible!
    • If dogs can't be programmed in 2 months they shouldn't be put in till standalone.
    • I didn't want a pet to begin with, it's just another mouth to feed!

no, just no

Add the Soldier Uniform

support the female model with other outfits

i'm not sure about the 'dog' idea either. from what people are saying the dog character has its advantages and disadvantages. all depends on the creaters in the end. maybe it could be an add on - so you don't need to have it/buy it or just an option to have a dog? and as 'Rocket' said it's only in his 'spare time', so not sure how serious it really is. i would like, however, to see the female get better equipped and before someone tells me off i know they are working on it.

Has anyone here actually looked at how the dogs function?

you dont spawn with one, its like a car, another objective to work towards and one that could be fun for smaller groups that dont want to get cars ect.

I think it will be good, think of the addition of melee weapons, it changed lots of things and made players do interesting stuff like roleplay axe murderes and set up tournamaments

Im all for new content, so cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war! :)

I'll add that we need both the marine uniform and the warsaw pact style uniform. I HATE the camo t-shirt outfit we have now, it looks so poor compared to the proper soldier uniforms in the game. Sometimes I feel that we are being trolled, there are dozens of skins already in the game and all we get to choose from is the wookie suit and the lamest camo clothing in the game.

I agree anyone playing arma can see how many awsome skins there are, would add some well needed variety IMO, I think it would add a bit to characthre attachment. I love Lingor cuz its fun to be some random dude from the 80s with a perm and a jean vest. It makes more sense than everyone being a mall cop...

I've ignored this poll because it's based on two massive fallacies which make the thing completely bogus, but I'm sick of seeing it on the frontpage so it's time for some of you to to go back to school:

The first fallacy is that anyone is in a position to judge the value of a feature which they have not even experienced yet. Even if you really, truly believe that your opinion reflects exactly how the experience of dogs in DayZ will be, you are wrong. No-one can fully evaluate a feature simply by simulating it in their mind, you must experiment with them.

The second fallacy is that 2 months of solid development time has been spent on dogs - as if the DayZ team hasn't been breaking serious balls juggling PR, bug fixing, feature development and working to make the standalone a reality these past two months.

This poll is based on two presuppositions, both of them wrong.

• Like 2

Mod is as good as it will get. Can't fix hackers/duping and artefacts seem to be fixed. Just wait for the standalone

still no valid response to how ignorant the thought of finding a wild dog, giving it a can of beans, and having it obey your commands is

unrealistic bullshit for the wow crowd who need pets cuz they need companionship cuz they either cant make friends, or find more companionship in some digital dog than actual players

INC 4 dog group

LFG for zombie caverns raid

still no valid response to how ignorant the thought of finding a wild dog, giving it a can of beans, and having it obey your commands is

unrealistic bullshit for the wow crowd who need pets cuz they need companionship cuz they either cant make friends, or find more companionship in some digital dog than actual players

INC 4 dog group

LFG for zombie caverns raid

Actually you got a couple of decent responses, you just chose to ignore them. Who said the dog's were wild? It's fair to assume that domesticated dog's would be left without owners and would become semi feral. They would actually be fairly easy to tame as they'd already be used to human contact. As Rocket has already said in this thread, it's also just a way of testing a game mechanic with NPC's and doesn't mean it will become permanent.

Also, try and calm down a bit.

• Like 2

if you think their working on the mod still your barking mad, they want the stand alone out before xmass, their full steam ahead on that I would be surprised if rocket has the time and clone available to sit in on two projects at the same time.

that being said they are working from the same basic code and framework, but I still think their all working harder on the standalone than they are the mod, thats why dogs are not in yet, and are you all freaking stupid just because dogs are in does not mean you NEED to use them, if you dont like them then stay the hell away from them, leaving them for the players who want them. like me.

• Like 1

i really dont see how you dont get the concept that its unrealistic

and domesticated animals usually dont survive very long in the wild, they dont know how to hunt

so now im hearing that they are semi - feral? grasping at straws are you? lol

dumb concept, and i doubt that rocket is stupid enough to put it in the final version

but hey, theres always warz to look forward to as well if dayz turns into trash, we will just have to wait and see

and lol at the rabid fanbois telling me to calm down for stating my opinion, get mad scrubs

I'm not a rabid fanboy, I'm a forum mod. I'm telling you to calm down because you seem unable to make a constructive point without insulting others. It's pretty straight forward really. Also, you're wrong. Domestic animals (cat's/dog's) quickly adapt when left to their own devices. There's many examples of this all over the world.

actually, being a forum mod usually means you are exactly a rabid fanboi

and i was only insulting the concept of adding dogs into the game, until some fanbois raged on me for stating my opinion

and no, im correct, as you cannot simply give a feral animal some food and have it obey your commands. if you were to attempt this, it would take weeks, or months even, before you could get it to respond to commands like "hunt" "search" or "track"

but feel free to keep telling me how i need to calm down because what i said made you feel stupid

i really dont see how you dont get the concept that its unrealistic

and domesticated animals usually dont survive very long in the wild, they dont know how to hunt

so now im hearing that they are semi - feral? grasping at straws are you? lol

dumb concept, and i doubt that rocket is stupid enough to put it in the final version

but hey, theres always warz to look forward to as well if dayz turns into trash, we will just have to wait and see

and lol at the rabid fanbois telling me to calm down for stating my opinion, get mad scrubs

Shit, who cares if they are domesticated,feral,semi-feral. It's a game, not everything has to be realistic. Just leave the thread please.

if you were to attempt this, it would take weeks, or months even, before you could get it to respond to commands like "hunt" "search" or "track"

Lol so what? go loot a place come back in 10 mins and see if you find more stuff. Have a hunting knife and try to knife someone or something. What? it only guts animals! What kind of sorcery is this?

Or die, to wake up on the beach with all the loot gone and if you choose as a different gender character, or adrenaline that cures fractures, or putting a heli rotor in your bag lol. The list can go for quite a while...

DayZ can't be real life, just a representation, and if some things are allowed, why not gaining the trust of a dog with some food?

and i was only insulting the concept of adding dogs into the game, until some fanbois raged on me for stating my opinion

and no, im correct, as you cannot simply give a feral animal some food and have it obey your commands. if you were to attempt this, it would take weeks, or months even, before you could get it to respond to commands like "hunt" "search" or "track"

but feel free to keep telling me how i need to calm down because what i said made you feel stupid

It's pretty obvious from your posting history and your past threads you're only here to bait people (me included). I hope you get the response your looking for on another thread.

Edited by Fraggle

you can claim that im baiting, or trolling, if it makes you feel better about being wrong, i dont mind

i think you are looking too deep into it. it's a game. ok we get it you hate the idea. don't worry about it.

Edited by lemmiwinks

Hey Lowbei..i thought you said Warz was vapourware, change your mind ? regardless, i don't see your big issue with the dogz. It is going to be a players choice as to wether they want one or not so it is neither here nor there. As for it being a companion, i am more interested in the mechanics than having a companion in game. I am looking forward to the dogz , broken or not it will be interesting.

Bonus item = i will not have to clean up 68 dogturds everytime i need to mow my Chernarus estate, and if i decide the dog is dragging my char down then a fix is only one squeeze of my m1911 away.

I think dogs would be annoying.

I don't want an AI to look after, and have me facepalm all day because they aggro every zombie around me by rushing after every single one of them. I don't want to share my already low supply of food and have a barking idiot next to me all day when I try to be stealthy.

I never liked AI companions because for some odd reason they always do what I don't want them to do.