Sign in to follow this  
darquan

Advanced melee system for standalone

I suggest implementing an advanced melee system for standalone.

WHY: make the game more interesting AND realistic. Melee weapons are a great choice against the infected - silent, do not run out of ammo, powerful, stylish in a way. Melee weapons are also more common than firearms. If zombies in standalone are tougher, larger in numbers, etc. - a good way to fight them off is melee weapons.

HOW:

1) More weapons. A crowbar and a hatchet are not enough. How about knives, police batons or even swords (why cant i find one at a museum and slash those zombies open?). Hell, pretty much everything can be used as a makeshift melee weapon: a wooden plank with nails, a road sign, a pipe...

2) Power attacks. Hold the mouse for a double damage strike or a chance of knockdown?

3) Running attacks. Strike while moving towards your target for increased damage?

4) ability to block other melee attacks with your weapon.

5) tactical shields. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_shield http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_shield

6) armed infected! Why cant they use a hatchet, really?

7) ability to use your firearms as melee weapons (some should be better than others - and the best choice will likely be having a bayonet attached to your rifle :ph34r: )

8) zombies that can grab you (aka: "tap E to escape")

I recall seeing quite an interesting melee system in a game called Condemned: Criminal Origins. IMHO, implementing something like this will greatly add to the atmosphere of the game - it will look more like survival and less like a deathmatch.

Things like power attacks and so on are ENCOURAGING people to use melee weapons more frequently (it will be a ton more fun!)

One other thing - make firearms less common (hell, why do i find makarovs at church and AKMs at fire stations?).

Any kind of feedback will be appreciated! Thanks in advance mates :blink:

• Like 2

While I too would enjoy seeing some melee action I still like the intensity when you really have to make a choice whether to shoot and wake everyone or to try to escape other ways. Swords, baseball bats and such would be great but I can't avoid thinking Dead Island when you bring up makeshift stuff.. Rough diamond in my opinion and needs some thinking trough before implementation :)

I agree completely, but if there was such a system of this, there would have to be a fatigue system, because it would not be realistic to have someone swinging a 20 pound weapon non-stop, and this fatigue system would also add realism and make it so people cant run from one side of the map to another. But back to your idea, i would like to also see custimization of these melee weapons. Sorry for bad spelling :P But great idea!

Edited by samirocks24

Zombie games without decent melee are like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches without the peanut butter and jelly. And the rapport of guns is too small as it is, and every gamer and developer knows that the mechanics you choose to focus on makes the game you choose to let people play. I swear, if guns were as loud as they were in real life, Cherno on an average server would sound like the Fourth of July.

I like everything but the zombies with weapons

Well I would think the zombies would have terrible aim, and probably on military zombies would spawn with guns at a low rate.

I think punching would be cool. Just seeing two fresh spawns in Elektro, fighting infront of the church, just watching through a sniper scope? That would be hilarious. And instead of it killing you, it would knock you out unconscious for a little bit (i.e. 1 minute). After being knocked out like 3 times by fighting, you die.

Actually in a movie called "survival of the dead" there was a zombie with steyr aug that actually shot people with it :P But I meant zombies armed with MELEE weapons! Like 50% of all zombie movies feature zeds having hatchets or something.