switch296

The flies/crows on very low humanity discussion

Note the first word: post. And only 1 in 8 soldiers get PTSD. And PTSD is 99.9% of the time nothing like that.

Most soldiers don't typically kill random civilians for their beans.

Yes' date=' and don't you think that those who go on killing random civilians by choice would be the least likely to suffer from PTSD? That's by definition sociopathic and they don't suffer from PTSD, so there.

[/quote']

No but is it crazy to think crazy people would imagine things that aren't there?

What makes you think those people are crazy? Hallucination is not a symptom of sociopathy.

Really who cares? I'm just adding a suggestion that wouldn't put you at an extreme disadvantage for murding everyone you meet but at the same time can cause a minor annoyance to scare the shit out of you and aggro zombies and alert people.

sure...that's why i don't think there should be disadvantages to being a bad guy only improved advantages to living with a sense of morality

There are PLENTY of seriously good reasons why it's beneficial to play as a survivor (if you can manage to earn the trust of other survivors), there's just not enough reason not to kill people, and there should be because in reality, believe it or not, whether you're in a post apocalyptic world or a Utopia, if you kill innocent people it will definitely affect you negatively in some way or another, most likely mentally.

People kill other people for a reason, it's because they're insane, and I just want the game to reflect that.

sure...that's why i don't think there should be disadvantages to being a bad guy only improved advantages to living with a sense of morality

There are PLENTY of seriously good reasons why it's beneficial to play as a survivor' date=' there's just not enough reason NOT to kill people, and there should be because in reality, believe it or not, whether you're in a post apocalyptic world or a Utopia, if you kill innocent people it WILL affect you negatively in some way or another, most likely mentally.

Do you know why we put murderers of innocent people in prison? Because they're insane, and the game should reflect that reality.

[/quote']

tthe overwhelming vast majority of murderers in prison are not insane. they are people who crossed a mental line and within the confines or a society they were put in prison for it. when society has broken down what is the penalty for killing someone besides they themselves having to live with it mentally? if they are ok with the decision they made to murder is there a penalty in a post apocalyptic scenario where societal norms no longer exists?

Bandits are always fucking sulking. Do you people not live in the REAL WORLD? Animals are not stupid, if you constantly provide food wether directly or indirectly certain animals will notice and begin to follow you around. Birds are ESPECIALLY known for this .. Seagulls, ducks, stray cats and dogs.. the list goes on.

Fucking care bear bandits... This actually makes sense unlike a random skin morph and you still cry.

I think I'm warming up to the idea of increased numbers and difficulty of zeds combined with far fewer scoped and military weapons.

If you look at zombie films and novels survivors have to team up to survive. A fellow survivor is not a possible source of gear, they're a possible source of help and help (teamwork) is more valuable than gear. It should be far more difficult for an individual survivor to loot a building or repair a vehicle. Those actions should be almost impossible for a solo player but manageable for a team. (Novels and films are really the only thing we have to consider since nothing even remotely close to a zombie apocalypse has occurred and attempts to extrapolate what humans would do based on history or psychology are mere speculation that represent the author's personal views more than universal truth.)

Having class bonuses (not a class system per say) would help but I don't know if this is possible with the current engine. One idea is that when you log in you are randomly assigned one of several backgrounds. Each background has an advantage. Possible backgrounds could be medical (bonus to healing), mechanic (bonus to vehicle repair), engineer / construction (bonus to fortification), pilot (bonus to repair / flight of helos), soldier (bonus to combat). One way to do this would be to give each player a non-removable item that represented the bonus (med kit, tool kit, flight helmet, specific military gear).

Want to repair a vehicle? You could speed up the process (and perhaps increase total possible vehicle condition) by finding a mechanic and convincing him to help your group.

The idea is to make a human life mean something more than a couple of cans of beans, some ammo and a weapon.

I'm not loving the whole psychology suggestion. It is an interesting way to provide incentive to play altruistically, but it is so abstract and I couldn't see it easily rooted in useful gameplay mechanics. Furthermore, how could you tell if a mass murderer would be mentally affected by his/her actions? As someone else here said, the most successful mass murderers are sociopaths who lack empathy and have no basis for feeling bad about their murderous deeds. A character who is able to rack up 100 kills in game would probably be more likely to be unaffected by mental breakdowns - the previous 99 kills didn't stop him from changing his ways, why should the 100th!? Seems to me like mental breakdowns would most likely occur with inherently good/altruistic players who have committed one or two murders and are deeply regretting it - not exactly the kind of balance we are looking for (with the focus being more on players who rack up insane numbers of murders)