Trizzo

Standalone Poll: First Person Only?

First Person View?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support first person only view in future versions of DayZ?

• Yes, first person only
    • No, i want other camera options

Poll: Would you support first person only in the standalone and or patch?

Here some of my thoughts both for and against first person only:

For:

-Increases realism and immersion

-Increases tension because this would remove an invisible third person periscope that lets players hide behind obstalces and peek around corners

- Balances combat due to third person expoliting

Against:

- Third person is fun and adds to the cinematic aspect of the game

- Game engine is clunky and third person helps navigation/finding items

Discuss! Curious to hear your thoughts. Despite the nice aesthetics of third person i would support first person only.

(edit: there was a poll but it dissapeared for some reason sorry about that!)

edit 2: more after thoughts in favour of FP

*First Person only would radiclly increase the stealth aspect of the game. Prone would be highly effective because the periscope of third person is gone and players overwatching an area would actually need to make themsevles more visible in order to see people

*First Person would change combat, more manover, less camping because people need to see people with their eyes, not a periscope

*It would shake up the game and make it fresh. Previous camping spots would cease to be relevant, new ones emerge, new combat dyanmics, new stratergies.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 24

I'm still undecided, I do kind of like being able to switch between them.

• Like 8

I say give us the freedom to choose whether we want First or 3rd Person. It's set up just fine the way it is right now. Give servers the option to include it or not, that way people who like 3rd person can use it and people who don't want the option can find servers without it.

• Like 15

This is something its been bugging me for some time, why do ppl argue about immersion and such, when they play 3rd person only? And lets be honest, 90% of the players use 3rd person, its kinda sad.

• Like 8

I like the third person view because of how instead of 90 degrees of vision, you have the option of 180 degrees. This offers a lot more space to keep an eye on your surroundings. Of course, it's a completely optional thing, and if you don't like other players using it, go to a server that has it disabled. I like how you weigh the advantages and disadvantages of the topic though.

E: My post was so stupid, it was laughable.

Edited by Gesundheit

I like third person mainly because first person tends to give me a headache, especially when prone. My screen shaking around like I have Parkinson's is brutal, and I'm pretty sure if I was forced to look at that for an extended period, I'd end up with a migraine.

Basically, my reason is medical related.

• Like 8

If you want immersion.... there's a reason why you can switch cameras. Keep the freedom to switch POV, for many reasons, that's one of the great charms to Arma, your ability to change view points. And for looking around cover, it doesn't matter if you can see the person, it matters how you act upon him... The moment you leave cover the other person can cap you, it doesn't really matter if you got a glance at him peeking over a wall IMO.

leave it as it now is, some servers have first person only and others have both, let the player decide...

• Like 1

I use 3rd person because I can look over/around walls and cover without ever having to expose myself. I don't like that this is part of the game, and wouldn't mind seeing everything go to first person only. Just another adjustment players would eventually get used to, like spawning without a pistol.

• Like 8

I use 3rd person because I can look over/around walls and cover without ever having to expose myself. I don't like that this is part of the game, and wouldn't mind seeing everything go to first person only. Just another adjustment players would eventually get used to, like spawning without a pistol.

yeah, pretty much this, 3rd person gives an unfair advantage over 1st person just because of the you can see behind walls, If it wasnt for that I would mind 3rd person at all

I would like combine them both. You have the third person perspective but your fov is restricted when trying to peek around corners. Maybe a really horrific blur that you could make out something moving but can't determin who/what it could be.

• Like 2

Honestly, third person adds someone more realism than people give it credit for. It adds for perception you lack in a game. It allows you to see yourself, as if you were patting yourself down, or if you felt a wound. First person, you feel nothing, cant check yourself and surroundings, and cant tell where you got hit for shit. As for corners? In reality, you can flatten yourself on a wall, and peak around the corner with JUST an eye, DayZ first person? You lean half your torso out into the open just so you can look around a corner. Then there's prone, unable to see anything through the grass, and you cant adjust your angle, or arch your back up to get a slightly better view while laying down. Your only option in game is to stand up. You might as well spotlight yourself and throw flares around your body, in cherno, in the middle of the night. Sure, you cant ACTUALLY see things in the 3rd person in real life, but when it comes to perception, 3rd person can turn a game into more realistic advantages without actually building in the extra shit it would need. I mean, come on, your keyboard is already loaded the eff up with controls. To add the perception needed for these things would take up an extra keyboard. Leave the 3rd person on, and if you really hate it, just go somewhere that doesn't have it. But honestly, a lot of us like it, and not simply for the sake to see the entire world unfairly. Typically I use first person, but in certain situations, 3rd person is a must, otherwise I have to stand 3 feet out from a wall, and lean my body out into the open while checking a hill for a sniper, where in reality, all that would be exposed would be 20% of my face. And honestly, if you focus on how the 3rd person bends, its not that bad, I cant look over a wall. Only around the corner a bit. I cant bend it to face the back way of a room that I'm afraid to go into. Its none of that, bit it does allow for a little extra to those who actually know how to use it. I say its not a cheat, I say its not unfair. Especially when everyone has this advantage, not just your target.

• Like 16

MFW people in forums put "poll" in the title but didn't actually create a poll.

ke69hx.jpg

• Like 7

I play on first person servers only, wouldn't mind if there was no option at all for 3rd person. Intense, immersive and hardcore is how I like this mod. Its just too bad that when noob crutches like crosshairs, nametags and magical periscopes are a server option like they are now, it seems impossible to find a veteran/expert server with more than 1-5 people playing.

• Like 4

i only use first person never used 3rd seems kinda against the point of a game where relism is ment to be a key factor but thats just me

• Like 2

Yes. First person only would stop people getting the advance to lay down behind some objects and see other players.

I know some servers disable this, but not enough for me.

Note: I even use it myself, but disabling it would make standalone much more realistic and balanced.

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 1

-Only First Person

-Add a wider FOV

This.

Like I say, this isn't a game, this is a SIMULATION. Ultra-realistic.

• Like 5

Having 3rd person makes you get attached to the guy ur playing as 1st person makes you feel like your there.

I like the 3rd person as having to walk for 15 mins in 1st person makes me want to not play it as the shaking screen does my head in.

3rd person looks cool when your all kited out all bad ass.

Keep 3rd person in.

• Like 2

Having 3rd person makes you get attached to the guy ur playing as 1st person makes you feel like your there.

I like the 3rd person as having to walk for 15 mins in 1st person makes me want to not play it as the shaking screen does my head in.

3rd person looks cool when your all kited out all bad ass.

Keep 3rd person in.

This is meant to be ultra realistic. Can you go 3rd person in real life? No. Also, you can turn head bob off if you don't like it.

• Like 2