Sign in to follow this  
Bsur

anti riot shield & more

hey, i think dayz is missing a weapon/tool to knock players out without damaging them, so friendly players can keep their humanity.

so heres my suggestion, the anti riot shield:

people could be able to find it in buildings like firestations, offices, and perhaps military bases. the shield should be equipped in the main weapon slot, and just work like the hatchet, but instead of damaging players/zombies it just knocks them out for a few seconds (hitting the head obviously knocks enemies out for a longer time).

heres a picture of how the anti riot shield should look like:

DayzRiotShield.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

hunting knife

it would be awesome if players could equip the hunting knife, using the sidearm slot.

the knife should be a fast weapon, but only cause bleedings/damage people from behind to be balanced.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

stench of corpses/zombies

the zombies in dayz are rotting, and mostly covered in blood. so the stench of zombies, or atleast their corpses, should make nearby players cough. that would make it harder to hide in buildings.

clothing

some clothing id like too see in the game:

rdgdg.jpg

thats it! hope you like my suggestions :) im happy for some feedback!

Edited by Bsur
  • Like 1

I want a beanbag gun to knock people out with. O the things I could do to a knocked out player.

• Like 3

I like the idea of huddling in a corner using the shield to fend off hordes of zombies while your buddy comes with an ax to try and get them off you. Equipping the knife would be good, give it lousy range and Makarov-level damage so you're pretty much guaranteed to get hit trying to use it on zombies or players.

• Like 1

I like the idea of huddling in a corner using the shield to fend off hordes of zombies while your buddy comes with an ax to try and get them off you. Equipping the knife would be good, give it lousy range and Makarov-level damage so you're pretty much guaranteed to get hit trying to use it on zombies or players.

oh yes, the shield should obviously offer good protection, forgot to add it to the thread. thanks for your feedback!

Wouldn't mind a riot shield, that would be fun. The knife has been suggested, but i like the idea, especially if i can do stealth attacks to players with a knife, that would be awesome.

A bean bag gun, that would be incredible. Oh the fun i would have with that gun, and what ODoyle said before, the things i could do with an unconscious player :')

Like the idea.

Would few of the shields be ballistic or all non-ballistic?

Also battering rams/hatchets could be used to break down doors instead of them being open by default.

Edited by MLI

Knife yes, Riot Shield too much like COD. I would not carry a riot shield through the forest but maybe in the city with a partner.

Knife yes, Riot Shield too much like COD. I would not carry a riot shield through the forest but maybe in the city with a partner.

Just because there is a riot shield in Cod doesn't mean this suggestion is Cod-like. *facepalm*

I would to like to be able to use the shield and the knife .... AT THE SAME DAMN TIME!!!

Seriously shield on one arm and knife in hand. That would be authentic right? A player could hit an enemy and then stab said enemy. Also a standard riot shield doesn't have ballistic protection so for authenticity's sake it shouldn't deflect endless bullets

Edited by Vindicator
  • Like 1

Foul for unnecessary facepalm.

The last thing I want in a survival situation is a damn shield. IMO all that's needed are more civilian market weapons. Hunting rifles, handguns, shotguns, etc. It's not a horrible idea but if I ever see anyone with a shield coming towards me they will only get so far.

Alright, to be fair the shield could be handy for non PvP encounters. Just seems to unrealistic to obtain. And COD like. =]

despite thebirdolux's opinion, riot shields are perfectly viable, and the fact that COD has them doesn't mean it's a COD thing. (Christ)

Riot shields should be able to stop most handguns and subsonic (SD) weapons, rifles should get a damage decrease and AS50s should go through it like butter.

Edit: before you say "THAT IS BROKEN ASDFAWDAWDAD", remember, you give up having a primary weapon here, so you only have puny pistols to shoot back with.

imho shields should be a one hand thing, so you can use it and a pistol.

when you have the shield equipped, right clicking toggles between holding it in front of you and holding it to the side wile you aim down the sights of the handgun.

when you have the pistol equipped/selected/etc, it's on your back.

Oh also, as long as you have it equipped you can't really run with it, tho I wouldn't slow it down to walking speed either.

Edited by kryvian

Not every idea on this suggestion forum is fully original. A riot shield, and a "fast weapon" hunting knife. I'm sorry but you can't deny the reson for my hesitance. (Christ) *facepalm*

And I corrected myself and said it could be handy for PvE (christ x 2)

Edited by thebirdolux

originality? what does originality have to fucking do with an item being viable in this game or not? riot shields have been around for millennia, daggers/knives for more. It is not a CoD thing, it is not a BF3 thing, it is not a CS thing.

originality? what does originality have to fucking do with an item being viable in this game or not? riot shields have been around for millennia, daggers/knives for more. It is not a CoD thing, it is not a BF3 thing, it is not a CS thing.

I have found your button. =]

Baseball bats for a century and a half as well, or spears! Thoughts?

p.s. Chill out, you'll add years to your life.

I'm all for large variety of melee weps and diversity, but that's not the subject of this thread. stick to it.

PS, you can't randomly say you no like X idea it is cod it is unoriginal, wile thinking this sincerely then come say haa haaa I found your buttons.

• Like 1

I'm all for large variety of melee weps and diversity, but that's not the subject of this thread. stick to it.

PS, you can't randomly say you no like X idea it is cod it is unoriginal, wile thinking this sincerely then come say haa haaa I found your buttons.

Don't call out a complete strangers post as worthless with a nice little (Christ) at the end if you don't want a response or argument.

Truce.

Knife is standard and useful for most FPS (survival or otherwise).

Yes melee weapons, no for mace, tazers, riot shields (military grade stuff, there is plenty IMO)

No need to point out the mace and tazers weren't covered in the thread.

I like the idea, however it needs to take up an inventory slot imo. And i would be cool with it if it had to go where your primary is, but you could wield your side arm (or knife)

if you agree with it, you could do a sum up of viable variables of the mechanics of the riot shield further suggested so that whoever comes along is up to date w/o having to read the whole thread.

Edited by kryvian

The problem would be this, riot shields aren't bullet proof like they are in COD, and also when alot of zombies start hitting you they would be able to tear the shield off you, this would give it some downsides instead of all upsides.

The problem would be this, riot shields aren't bullet proof like they are in COD, and also when alot of zombies start hitting you they would be able to tear the shield off you, this would give it some downsides instead of all upsides.

what is it with this CoD comments? i didnt even know this game has a shield. also, i didnt say the shield should be super bullet proof, and when zombies are able to tear the shield off, the survivor wielding it must be pretty retarded or something...

Edited by Bsur