brites

Why are dayz players so hated?

DayZ's style of play and even the general mechanics are not up to the standards of hardcore ArmA2 players. Not that DayZ players aren't good players, it's just that it's a fundamentally different game. It's like having a World of Warcraft player roll up on your Warhammer 40k game and want to jump right in. "I know all about Orcs," he might say, or, "I have tons of experience with complex damage calculations." That's all well and good, but your game, with all its nuance and character, is not going to prepare you for this other game, with it's nuance and character. Plus you're not taking it seriously enough. They get uppity, and they kick you out.

Meh, if you're really trying your best to enjoy ArmA, then it's probably their loss. I myself want to get into the more technical aspects of ArmA, but all the coolest things, like artillery and remote UAV target designation, is too hard for me to figure out easily on my own. I'll have to buckle down some time and learn it.

• Like 1

I found it to be a slightly annoying that people buy such a great game only for mod (if it were ACE, I'd understand.. but lol).

They've wasted a fair amount of their 30 USD (or 23? USD on last Steam sale), but it is their money, so I don't really care.

Perhaps you might miss the point as to why many of us play DayZ.. I enjoy FPS games, but I don't want to play just another run & gun or enter random tactical shooter [HERE].

Now this is the tricky part.. I do enjoy run & gunning & I enjoy playing tactical shooters "tactically".. Yet I've played them so long that the whole Red Team vs Blue Team aspect has grown old. I like playing with the element of the unknown in a sandbox world.. This is why I played EVE Online for a long time even though I prefer FPS games.

(I used to love the original Ghost Recon just because it had option to have 4 teams. I always felt Red Storm the original RB6/GR developer really missed the boat on pushing that gameplay style)

I also always longed for the ability to be me vs world in FPS games that I played. I don't always want a team to play with or guys on my side. I used to always want be the lone players or tag team vs the 15 or 20..

I like having the element that allows me to sort of do what I want with no clear goal I need to achieve. I like being both good & bad but not having to follow some sort of structure game-play roles.. Games like EVE & now DayZ allow you to play in that manor where it's more of the social interaction that determines your gameplay.

Are there any other ARMA II mods that allow me to do this?

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2

I went straight into ACE mod didn't like regular ArmAII, the community seems better for ACE and lots more teamplay communication and hell I always get new guys in my squad since no one wants to train them up I get them set up with the ACRE radios how to use them how to use the bags, watching their weight how to fire properly and how to move properly. I get about 15 people in my squads avg. so three humm-vees and three fire teams all with call-signs and specialties we will end up playing for 5-6 hours together having tons of fun.

I don't care if you're from DayZ, Vanilla A2, CoD, BF3 but if you have a willing to learn and listen play tactically and not be an ass I love helping new players <3

Very much this and I got you my beans there buddy

Well, there might be also the fact that DayZ community is regarded as one of the worst out there, righ behind CoD kiddies. Nobody likes assholes and many, many DayZ players work very hard to give us all that label.

• Like 3

DayZ's style of play and even the general mechanics are not up to the standards of hardcore ArmA2 players. Not that DayZ players aren't good players, it's just that it's a fundamentally different game. It's like having a World of Warcraft player roll up on your Warhammer 40k game and want to jump right in. "I know all about Orcs," he might say, or, "I have tons of experience with complex damage calculations." That's all well and good, but your game, with all its nuance and character, is not going to prepare you for this other game, with it's nuance and character. Plus you're not taking it seriously enough. They get uppity, and they kick you out.

Meh, if you're really trying your best to enjoy ArmA, then it's probably their loss. I myself want to get into the more technical aspects of ArmA, but all the coolest things, like artillery and remote UAV target designation, is too hard for me to figure out easily on my own. I'll have to buckle down some time and learn it.

Never used UAV to be honest (too tacticool shit for me hahah) but laser designating is pretty easy (obviously once you figure it out ).

All you need is GTLD laser designator (the probably biggest thing that still looks like binos) and battery (one will do). Grab yourself also the littlr thingy called IR target strobe and you're all set. Pull it out, press LMB looking at the target and off you go. enjoy particles < profit.

• Like 1

Here's my 5 cents on this.

Well I understand why it made him angry. I loved Arma way before DayZ and the idea that people bought Arma solely for DayZ makes me cringe a little inside. So yeah, a lot of Arma veterans are going to take offense to it because it kinda sounds like an insult towards the core game, even if you didn't mean it that way. That being said, I don't think he should have insulted or kicked you as you seem to enjoy Arma as well and were trying to give it a chance, and he took that away.

Edited by Dusty926

I found it to be a slightly annoying that people buy such a great game only for mod (if it were ACE, I'd understand.. but lol).

They've wasted a fair amount of their 30 USD (or 23? USD on last Steam sale), but it is their money, so I don't really care.

Why does it annoy you when it has nothing to do with you? Not your money, is it?

And how is $30 wasted if those that buy the game for the mod enjoy it and think it was worth $30?

DERP DERP

• Like 1

Elitism. Short and simple. /thread.

...and penis size.

• Like 1

I knew about ArmA II before DayZ, but I never had any interest in it. I like some features, but the ultra-realism just isn't appealing to me. It's not my type of play style, but if I wanted to try out the Multiplayer I don't see why it would get everyone mad about it. I mean, I could of randomly decided to try out ArmA because I was bored and didn't know about DayZ. Do they just assume all newbies are DayZ?

Plus, DayZ added a lot to ArmA II's sales. If a person wanted to take the time to learn ArmA II aside from DayZ knowing they are completely different they should quit being hipsters.

Their mentality: "I PLAYED ARMA II BEFORE DAYZ. I'M COOLER AND MORE HIP THAN YOU. I'M TACTICAL!"

My Mentality: "Hmm maybe I'll try it out, why waste the $30 for nothing."

End result: Okay, I'll just go back to my noobish ways and play DayZ. At least I have more fun trying to learn that game. Maybe try some other mods.

I just have to share what happened to me 15 mins ago.

I was playing arma II multiplayer with my friends, where this guy comes insulting me and my friends because we said we were new and that we started playing arma because of dayz.

Being the admin of the server, he started kicking my friends at random and I started an argument with him, but he would only say things like: "There are people who could be doing better in your spot so leaving" with lots of bad words in the middle.

I wonder, why are we hated so much? I bought arma II because of dayz and only played dayz for quite a long time. But now I'm enjoying arma II pretty much and guys like that just make the game experience really bad.

What are your thoughts on that?

Admin abuse is weak.. I think they need to chill with that. Or maybe there mad dayz is better. Joking not trying to offend!!!

They are just mad that Day Z is more popular.. I would have never known about Arma 2 if it wasn't for Day z and my friend who knew about Day Z :P.

Perhaps you might miss the point as to why many of us play DayZ.. I enjoy FPS games, but I don't want to play just another run & gun or enter random tactical shooter [HERE].

Now this is the tricky part.. I do enjoy run & gunning & I enjoy playing tactical shooters "tactically".. Yet I've played them so long that the whole Red Team vs Blue Team aspect has grown old. I like playing with the element of the unknown in a sandbox world.. This is why I played EVE Online for a long time even though I prefer FPS games.

(I used to love the original Ghost Recon just because it had option to have 4 teams. I always felt Red Storm the original RB6/GR developer really missed the boat on pushing that gameplay style)

I also always longed for the ability to be me vs world in FPS games that I played. I don't always want a team to play with or guys on my side. I used to always want be the lone players or tag team vs the 15 or 20..

I like having the element that allows me to sort of do what I want with no clear goal I need to achieve. I like being both good & bad but not having to follow some sort of structure game-play roles.. Games like EVE & now DayZ allow you to play in that manor where it's more of the social interaction that determines your gameplay.

Are there any other ARMA II mods that allow me to do this?

Takistani(Takistan?) Life.

Well admittedly, true, mods like ACE and such are pretty much enhancements and expansions to what ArmA 2 had to offer (for example, ACE and all those steps to line up a shot) and are all combat oriented.

Why does it annoy you when it has nothing to do with you? Not your money, is it?

And how is $30 wasted if those that buy the game for the mod enjoy it and think it was worth $30?

DERP DERP

I am entitled to my opinion, as much as you are.

My opinion is it is a waste not to play vanilla ArmA 2, but I did state in my post "slightly annoyed".

Slightly annoyed.

Edited by ExESGO
  • Like 1

Man I was playing in a purely strategic way, i was cooperating with other people on side channel and then the guy insults me for not know how to operate with one of the bombs of the jet i was flying.... he didnt even try o teach, he just began insulting

Don't fly jets if you don't know how to use them then.

Every game I've ever played has had haters. Who the fuck cares what some random shmuck thinks? Mock their rage and get on with your bad self.

The gamer community is full of ding dongs with stupid opinions. (myself included) If you enjoy a game then enjoy it! Some shmoe gives you shit about it, laugh at their ignorance and move along.

• Like 3

Don't fly jets if you don't know how to use them then.

Nice answer, i thought you were guy talking about people being ignorant ? How about helping out and maybe a few pointers for Brites instead of coming across in the same way as the guy he is talking about. Or you could just reinforce his view. Oh wait..you just did.

• Like 2

no hes right though flying jets in servers..... DO NOT DO IT!

people get mad and if its clan only for jets or inside TS and you do it chances are you will be banned

spend some time in the editor or play the missions that help you learn to fly fixed wing :)

I just have to share what happened to me 15 mins ago.

I was playing arma II multiplayer with my friends, where this guy comes insulting me and my friends because we said we were new and that we started playing arma because of dayz.

Being the admin of the server, he started kicking my friends at random and I started an argument with him, but he would only say things like: "There are people who could be doing better in your spot so leaving" with lots of bad words in the middle.

I wonder, why are we hated so much? I bought arma II because of dayz and only played dayz for quite a long time. But now I'm enjoying arma II pretty much and guys like that just make the game experience really bad.

What are your thoughts on that?

If you did buy Arma II for the DayZ mod and have not played any similar games in the past, then he probably really was kicking you for more useful people.

Most FPS gamers in Arma II will just run around like retards doing stupid things without even knowing it.

some don't like noobs full stop.

others dislike dayz players through multiple bad experiences such as team killing for a better weapon (sound familiar?)

some arma 2 players are idiots, some dayz players are idiots, and people like to generalise.

I've always been an Arma fan but hate the "Arma snob" attitude. I'm glad that the game is finally getting the attention I've always thought it deserves.

It's a bit of a crap analogy but it reminds me of when Nirvana became popular all those years ago (they were a band kids). The original fans struggled with their popularity because it turns out they liked being alternative hipsters and "their" underground band had gone mainstream. (Crap analogy over).

Next time your playing Arma and that happens just shoot them in the face.