Sign in to follow this  
jdz (DayZ)

Helicopter crashes, do they ruin the intensity?

Helo crashes are the best type of loot spawn in the game. I hope there will be more randomly placed spawns in the future, think wrecked HMMWVs, overrun checkpoints, etc. I like them exactly because they draw people away from the know loot points. If everyone is camping the barracks and hospital I feel way to safe running through the woods.

Sure gear probabilities could be adjusted and there probably needs to be a cap on the total number of high-end items that can spawn but those are somewhat separate discussions.

That is, if you can find a motorcycle, car or helicopter. I don't think heli crashes are too common. In fact, I think they need to be just that many to make it a real possibility for someone without a motorcycle, car or helicopter to find a heli crash and get some decent loot.

Last night while driving my Ural around looking for Industrial areas I managed to stumble upon 5 crashed sites.. But this was from two hours of driving around every medium and high value in the map. Checked out all the crashes and walked away from them all with medical supplies. The as50's/M4a1 cco's/FN fals/Mk 40's ALL GARBAGE!, well not garbage, but our camp has multiples of each. So the medical supplies made more sense.

Never ever. Whenever i see a downed chopper, it usually gets really intens cause there is a much greater chance of meeting a group of bandits there cause downed choppers are such high value

I have a few ATV's so I get around the map pretty quick.

But to be honest, I can find the crash sites pretty easily. I can hit basically all of them up in a day and I've only found a few good weapons. Crash sites don't affect the weapon economy that much and the stuff on them is pretty rare. Add in the fact that maybe things would be a bit different if you were on a very low pop server all the time then yeah.

From personal experience the choppers aren't that common. I've had points where I grab a vehicle with some buddies and drive up and down the north, and we usually find a crash site whenever we least expect it. Overall we've stopped hunting because we know we can just find guns on newbz with lootz, but when we were hunting crashes we usually came up empty handed. It's always exciting to be skulking around Gorka, refueling your vehicle, then seeing those pilot zombies walking around a mass of metal in a field. If they were any more rare, it would really make for a grueling task to find them. Everyone knows where they can be found, but it's always the question of "Where will they be this time?"

I can relate to finding crash sites that have always been looted, sometimes I find them and I have no need for the guns. It's still pretty exciting to find one though IMHO.

I don't know how you guys don't come across them. Do you just hold right mouse and alt? It really is your best friend, you can see everything.

I come across soooo ms y without even trying to.

High end gear isn't generated as much by heli crashes as it is by duping. it's more like 3% heli crashes 2%barracks, 95% duped to hell.

Get over it, it's not the heli crashes that ruined the game.

I agree with most people here. The crashes are not too much. Any time you find like an AKM or somethingl ike that at a crash its most likely a discarded weapon from soneone who took the rare spawn. Another thing to take into account if the crash spawns even 5 AS 50's. At best it spawns a mag or two for each. A: It would take a huge group to carry them all to make use of them, the ammo for that gun is fairly limiting. Doubtful its adding much.

On a side note I tend to find crashed like its my job, I don't actively go Heli hunting but my routes of travel are always along the fields that are known to spawn them. I find them 50% of the time not fully looted and split from empty to fresh with the other 25%. Best day ever came to NWAF from the west, two crashes one just on the outside of the southern wall (Could see the blades) and one on the inside near the woods. Was so pretty I cried. Of coarse they were picked clean but still was nice to see them at the NWAF anyway. Also found 3 L85's at one once, no ammo which I found odd.

People seem to be missing the point where I mentioned being fully geared up after only 3-4 hours of playing...

I've got an M4A1CCO, Alice pack, M107,NVGs and medical supplies for miles and all of this was from helicopters and loot spawns, nothing out of tents.

This thread isn't about the duping problem, I am well aware of that problem but this thread isn't about it.

Back in the days this would've taken weeks to acquire, I'd have had to do many missions to the super dangerous NWAF but now there's no point in going there, I never see anyone there because these helicopter crashes spawn loot 10x better than anywhere else.

Edited by jdz

I still do not understand what intensity chopper crash loot might take away. In many respects chopper crashes arent that important to many people. Also if you wanted to turn this into a suggesstion, move it to the suggesstion section and perhaps offer something like:

reduce amount of chopper crashes per server or increased rarity of said crashes. if you think this will add something to the experience wouldn't you be interested to see if the community felt the same way?

Just food for thought and good luck

/bump

After a day of chopper hunting on my bicycle I came back to my camp with a DMR, an M14, a bison and 4 FN FAL's with 7 mags.

Now when I go on a loot run and put all my valuables inside my tent I take a Fal with me instead of my Enfield lol.

There were a couple of crash sites a found that were pretty useless though (3 medical boxes and other junk). Haven't come across a .50 cal yet, not that one would be much use to me.

Just to add, I think chopper hunting is about the same as loot cycling simply by knowing the mechanics and how they work.

Why my post is relevant I don't know.

Edited by Wargunner
  • Like 1

I don't know how you guys don't come across them. Do you just hold right mouse and alt? It really is your best friend, you can see everything.

I come across soooo ms y without even trying to.

Some of us don't play on recruit level difficulty.

I practically trip over crashed helis, but then again, I spent a lot of my time up at Stary and NWAF where they are most common.

Gotten my fair share of L85's out of them for sure.

They should lower the spawn rate of AS50s and L85 TWS' and they would be harder to come by and so its not just FALs spawning add more of the L85 varreants (just not the silly ones with the m203) and some other british guns.

Edited by Holykittens

My preferred mode is veteran/expert...

Just to let you know BazBake is just being his normal douchey self and is mocking you for using third person. He thinks only recruit servers should allow the option because he is a pretentious dick.

So I found my 3rd Heli Crash today. DMR and FN FAL. I don't feel that they ruin intensity any more than running to NWAF and Stary break intensity.

They could lower weapon spawn rate or maybe place only 1 heli/reset but they are fine. There are more important things to worry about.

I play on a server that's like a ghost town. It's ideal for learning the game I guess but I'm growing bored of being the only one looting high-risk areas even though I haven't got a fancy AS50 I'd sure love to take pot shots at someone with the CZ 550.

That said, I have searched high and low and have not found a heli crash site in a combined 40 hours+ of surviving. (obviously I died a few times lol.)

I found a ghillie suit in a church, believe it or not lol. I've also found 3 camping tents so far, 2 in grocery stores 1 in a church as well.

Best gun so far I'd say.. uhm.. MP5SD / M9SD both I found in the hangers at NWAF not even the barracks.

I've also come across towns with grocery stores that are completely empty, but the rest of the town has loot.

Any thoughts? Just wondering, thanks.

OH I also found a GPS which I understand is rather rare? Subsequently it "disappeared" or was looted from my tent in the middle of freaking no where.

Edited by Muffinman

Back to the topic at hand...

The Helicopter Crash sites, in many ways, seem to be an impossibility, not by frequency, but how it functions. First off, how would zombies survive and explosion like that, especially DayZ zombies? Also, practically all the equipment would be inoperable, if not destroyed by the resulting explosion. In my luck, they seem to come by as a little loot spot just in case my past excavations weren't so promising. All I am saying is, they practically seem strange...

...then again, I am questioning a game where you reload a hatchet.

• Like 1