Sign in to follow this  
Lil Bunny

Evacuation mode

To be honest all you need is a compass, and you can run from coast to north with out need of food or water, if you go in a straight line. Even then you don't need a compass, just a good sense of direction.

I like the idea, but I just don't think it would fit well with the game

Unless there's a DMZ filled with mines and fences and guards with guns shooting the infected. Right now there's no reason to stay in Chernarus in the first place, so if we rely too much on current game design and the map to dictate logic we'll get nowhere. Truth is, the map isn't going to be the map in the standalone, it'll be bigger. But it could also be walled off like Berlin or Jerusalem to keep people on one side.

Unless there's a major hub on a totally different island that has other surviving people and NPC's that the evac chopper takes you too, I don't see any point in this. I mean, you get on a chopper and survive, what then? It's a feature that will retain novelty of a whole five minutes. In the end, it's completely pointless and people would forget about it, cause you know... They'd rather play a survival simulator instead of getting to a chopper that ends the game and has no reward.

The idea is flawed.

However, as I said, if there was another island that's a lot smaller and has a big settlement on it, where you can get quests and/or supplies from, then the evac chopper could work. It means you get to go somewhere safe, and you can return to surviving in another place when you're ready. The hub could have NPC's, guards and stuff, but still not safe from bandits. However, I read that rocket doesn't want to add in NPC's so the whole idea would be pointless.

• Like 2

What if there where radio stations at military base, and every so often there would be a call out that gave coordinates on the map where an a heli evac would come and try to get some survivors, say four. The first four people to get there would then be lifted off the island.... but... they would... wait for it.... CRASH ON LINGOR OMMGAKDKAJ BEST IDEA EVER KSHDJAKLSD. jk xD this would never happen

Edited by Undrun SIgna

I definitely think this could be done. It might not even require a mod, I'm pretty sure the ArmA editor has all the tools needed to make this sort of gametype a reality. I was trying to make a short mission along these lines, where I and a team of my buddies would fight through Chedaki fighters on Utes and get to the dock at Strelka, then signal our position with a smoke grenade so a PBX would come pick us up. Couldn't figure out the script for the smoke signal, so I made it a radio call, and then I couldn't figure out how to have the lousy boat take off when everyone who wasn't dead got aboard, and then I couldn't get it to leave without our douchebag sniper who wouldn't get out of the stupid lighthouse so we were all getting murdered in the boat while he collected ears. Dickhead.

In short, my mission sucked, but a non-sucky mission editing guy could make the mission you describe without a lot of difficulty. I like the idea of starting out on Chernarus, getting exfiltrated by chopper to Utes, where you have a second mission to defend the chopper while it refuels at the airstrip (with secondary objectives like getting files from the ATC and grabbing weapons from the Utes base).

There are lots of ways to add narrative to ArmA missions. You could get some voice actors in on it and really do it properly.

• Like 1

The intolerance on this forum is staggering. Horrifying, even.

I really don't see the difficulty in not acting like an outright prick all the time. Are the people here all deathly allergic to anything that doesn't resemble insolence and hate? Fucking hell.

On topic, i don't particularly like the idea, as it hasn't been given a very good description..

• Like 1

The intolerance on this forum is staggering. Horrifying, even.

I really don't see the difficulty in not acting like an outright prick all the time. Are the people here all deathly allergic to anything that doesn't resemble insolence and hate? Fucking hell.

On topic, i don't particularly like the idea, as it hasn't been given a very good description..

Well... my comment was a joke, the idea is self is ok but the execution of the idea is the problem. and on your topic, everyone one who is on the internet is like that... well most people are xD.

This is my original comment:

What if there where radio stations at military base, and every so often there would be a call out that gave coordinates on the map where an a heli evac would come and try to get some survivors, say four. The first four people to get there would then be lifted off the island.... but... they would... wait for it.... CRASH ON LINGOR OMMGAKDKAJ BEST IDEA EVER KSHDJAKLSD. jk xD this would never happen

Edited by Undrun SIgna

I stopped reading after the 10th post. This thread is beyond salvation.

To OP, the point of DayZ, what makes it SO uniq is that it is lawless in every way possible. there's no time, there's no top kills wins, it is like the games of old when you just have to survive as long as possible. Sure it'd be a cute side mission for dayz but ppl will get bored fast. I'd be p much Left4Dead in a sandbox.

Make this the prologue to the game. You fight to get on the chopper and an infected is onboard biting the pilot causing it to crash into the ocean. You then wash up on the beach and start the regular game.

• Like 1

I stopped reading after the 10th post. This thread is beyond salvation.

To OP, the point of DayZ, what makes it SO uniq is that it is lawless in every way possible. there's no time, there's no top kills wins, it is like the games of old when you just have to survive as long as possible. Sure it'd be a cute side mission for dayz but ppl will get bored fast. I'd be p much Left4Dead in a sandbox.

Firstly, what are these "games of old" you're talking about? As far back as arcades in the 80s, there's been Top Score screens (remember putting your initials in there, because it was only three characters?)

Even when the goal is to stay alive as long as possible (asteroids, galaga, etc), scores are recorded and top scores recognized. EVEN IN DAY Z, you get a leaderboard for the server you're on if you press your (I)nfo key.

Secondly, isn't the point of a sandbox to build things? Missions and events are just building things, in the sandbox. All of the tools are already there. You claim that the point of a sandbox is that it is lawless in every way possible...yet you wish to restrict development, expansion, and change. You're saying "don't do this." Sorta like a law ;)

My idea is about a new gamemode to dayz called evacuation where the players will start like normal in random places along the coast but it is timed. The players have X amount of in game days to get to grozovy pass where they will win and at the end of this match anyone who doesnt make it to the evac point loses

-EDIT-

Or perhaps when you evacuate you end up appearing at a helicopter crash site with military gear around you

I like the idea for a sort of "last man standing"-kind approach: you start on a map sized like bigger than utes or something and you have to go to the rescue point. BUT there are only 4 places in the car/heli so 12 or more players must die. And the rescue vehicle must be triggered or comes after a set period of time so there is no sense in running to the vehicle. You have to gear up, maybe you even have to eat and drink once... but the game shouldn't take more than an hour max because this should be a more "I wanna play DayZ but not for long and just for the funs of it"-kind of gaming sessions. Which sound a bit like the COD-kind of game mode but it can't be like it because you aren't the Übermensch and you actually lose health and you die by a shot to the head. Imagine it more like CS 1.6 or Insurgency (if you ever played that HL2 mod) or even L4D without all that "my pistols has unlimited ammo so I shoot everything I see" realism which are more fitting for the DayZ / Arma gaming experience as I would see it in this game mode.

But don't change the DayZ as it is for it. This should be an addition or even a community mod!