rocket

IF this was an actual game...

Sorry for caps but

whatever you do, DO NOT LET THE GAME BE FUCKED UP BY SOME GREEDY COMPANY!!! and extra !

No F2P pay-to-win and so on, thats important :)

Edited by coolmodi

Game purchase only

Official Community + Private Servers (private do not share Hive with official)

Kickstarter. And don't you forget to give out Beans as incentive there.

Would be happy to pay for standalone game or even if it was turned into an mmo sub type thing although being an mmo player maself the pay per month thing is slowly dying off and more and more games are FTP.

Pay: One time transaction, open to cosmetic item stores, but I think that even going down that path will lead to pay to win as the revenue potential would greatly increase.

Developed: Studio developed, I don't see how this can be avoided because of your relationship with BI, if not them then another studio who can pay for all the lawyers you will need. I think you have a better chance of keeping your vision with BI than other main stream studios who would want to expand the target player base.

Servers: Studio or officail, This is the most important aspect I think, If you want to keep the "one world" game world, and a perma death setting that hopefully estabilishes a harsh death penalty and much of the game play is focused on resource gathering having the community in charge of hosting will be a disaster. Add to that the fact that the less secure the code is the easier it will be for hackers and you have the current issues on a release people paid for.

If you need capital or have crazy lawyer fees go to kick starter, I also think that you should strike while the iron is hot pretty soon something else will come along and draw attention away from dayz so the sooner you have a release, even if just a more polished alpha, ala minecraft the better it will be for the whole project.

Payment: 39.99 usd

Developer: Studio Developer, BIS

Servers: Studio, account managed, battleeye, punk buster

STORE: weapons, clothing and items (micro transactions of 10 to 15 per item pack)

ENGINE: ArmA 3 like engine.

cryengine, unreal engine, dunia engine, frostbyte engine, they won't cut it, it has to have a 225km2 landmass and make you feel the same as arma2

Character customization: APB Reloaded.

I mean you can't fall short the LEAST you could do is implement a customization as Global Agenda or Saints Row: The Third

CQC, indoors: Why you have to feel like is a struggle to go inside a building in arma, arma2 and GTA4?

Ragsdolls: euphoria, nuff said.

EDIT: properly implement Melee combat, and use DIRECTIONAL MELEE COMBAT, see Mount & Blade: Warband

Edited by waffen-79

The title of this post should put a lot of stupid arguments to rest.

My one comment on this would be...

Free to play with built-in buying power may be the best way to go just for the future security of the game. Social Media has exploded games like Farmville and others (please don't think I'm comparing DayZ to Farmville). They get you in and it's amazing how many people spend a few dollars here and there on digital purchases.

There's been a huge shift from the traditional way of just straight out buying a game. It used to be, go buy Mega Man 28, pop it in and you've got your game. The last 15 years, with computer gaming becoming as relevant as console gaming, has added subscription-based gaming. This changed the business of game development and the economics behind it. The last 5 years has been an explosion of these free-to-play games that trigger your obsessive side which ultimately leads to little $1 purchases here and there. That has changed it ever-more so.

I think this game has an amazing "grab factor." The best way to let as many people try out a stand-alone DayZ may be to let it be free to play. Or, not necessarily free but let's say $5. $5 is nothing to the average American gamer. What this "game" has to offer is worth WAY more than $5. Automatically, the consumer is getting a ton of VALUE for their dollar. They already feel great about their purchase. Here come the additional little $1 digital purchases along the way.

How would that change the gameplay, though? What could be purchased? It'd have to be worth the money. But would these be items that are game-changers? Then we jump into the realm of whether it's "fair" or not. This isn't meant to be fair but the argument will come up.

I dunno, maybe add an option, for a $1 digital purchase, for one week when you die you can have the option to pick your respawn point. After the week is up your spawning is random. That would affect how many people kill themselves over and over just to find the right spawn. Maybe have some coding keeping people from killing themselves more than once every 10 minutes? I'd pay $1 to by-pass that for a week.

That's just one unique suggestion that tries to add a purchase that won't drastically change the game. Having a ton of different weapons for purchase, for instance, would just flat-out change the game. I doubt you want it going in that kind of direction.

Oh! While developing a stand-alone DayZ, for the love of Jobs put a good amount of resources into developing an app to go with the game. The app could cost an additional $5. This could include an interactive map, item list, good god you name it. And it's all accessible while you play the game. You're basically dual-screening DayZ. Console Gaming is going dual-screen, if you hadn't noticed ;)

Just another digital purchase idea... another week-long or month-long $1 purchase that would allow you to "alchemize" your food stuffs, changing you Coke cans to Mountain Dew, or your Frank and Beans to Spam. With that, make Spam and Mountain Dew unattainable in the world and only available from this purchase. Another stupid aesthetic thing that people would spend money on...

Look at the money Zynga and other companies like it are making. PC Game companies and Console Game companies are looking. DayZ is so unique and different from what is out there. It is cutting-edge. It's an experiment that people make into their game. Keep it on the edge of cutting in every way possible, from the gameplay, to how to pay, distribution, marketing, customer-relations, etc.

Hell, you could turn dayzmod.com into its own Social Media site but specifically focused on everyone being their DayZ characters.

You've created a community. Respect and use that.

I believe you know what we all stand for in general.

You at the helm making your own game.

Community will support you if you make your own development studio or go to another studio. Your own launch or if needed a Publisher, as long as you get to do it your way.

I would like to see you have access to something like the forge light engine and make a hell of a zombie survival mmo. Or any other engine that allows similar large scale seamless transitions across terrain with many players all at once.

One login server with 30,000 players paying 10.00 - 15.00 a month , maybe 20$ to purchase account and digital download one month incld. One world would really make peoples opinions of you matter.

Thank you Rocket for what we have and have to come.

How would you rather pay for it?

1 - Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

Monthly subscription KILLS ONLINE GAMING IMO FUCK WOW!!!!

Monthly fee if there were many more features and more things to do, etc.

One time fee is ideal in current form. Private servers may be necessary if major issue are not addressed and the game remains on the arma2 engine.

Studio developed with flexibility for server owners or modders to create various takes on current form. There are plenty of good ideas floating around that would make good alternative game modes for DayZ.

Shit is gettin serious.

If this was made as a stand alone game, or as part of some particular existing game, what kind of consumer model would you want to play it on?

- Game purchase with Monthly fee? (WoW stylez)

- Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

- Free to play, buy your shit?

- Something else?

Also:

- Community developed or studio developed?

- Community or studio servers? or both?

- Kickstarter? or not?

Please try and stick to short sentences, its much easier for me to get broad feedback.

- Game purchase with Monthly fee

I don't look to WOW as a model to emulate. Instead I look to EVE Online. Eve Online follows the pay to play Monthly model yet retains it's 'hardcore', survivalist, sandbox style roots. The game's learning curve is very steep and unforgiving, as is DayZ. WOW on the other hand is a joke.

- Studio developed with extensive Community input.

As much as I admire the current openess of the game, I think the game requires the resources of a full fledged studio to give it the justice it deserves. Developer side servers will also go a long way in alleviating the rampant hacking that is currently plaguing the game. It won't be perfect of course, that said, it'll still be better than the current mess.

My first choice would be to pay for it once, then also buy expansions and DLC. But I'd prefer if those expansions and DLC were simply to add more content. Not add increasingly more powerful items in order to promote sales while making the previous content inferior and/or obsolete.

Despite my first choice, if it were to release on a monthly fee platform, I MIGHT still play it. But for how long, I do not know. Players currently subscibe to games like WoW (not me though, hate that piece of shit) that you mentioned. The problem with going with this option, is that it forces players to choose which game(s) they will continue to subscibe to as they generally limit monthly fee games because it's just another monthly bill, and one that you can do without. And when the next "new thing" releases, you're going to have many leave to try that new thing out. And maybe players decide to go back to an old game they like and miss playing. And with FPS games, losing players means less choices in servers and lower populations in the ones you do find. Because with this method, you can't just hop on for a quick game if you're not subscribing. Leave subscriptions to MMO's and their endless carrot on a stick gimmick.

And I wouldn't even consider the F2P route. It's been my experience that F2P really means F2P2W (Free-to-Pay-to-Win). I won't even give this model a chance. I've fallen for it too many times.

Ideally, it'd be nice if it were studio developed for the higher budget that allows for better game engine and anti-cheat support. The drawback here is that once corps get their claws into anything, management tends to ignore dev opinions, and instead, cater to the masses of whining, spoon-fed players that want everything given to them, and easy mode in all things (ie. WoW). Which would ruin this game, as it's appeal is in it's challenge and hardcore nature.

As to servers, I think both community and studio. It just gives players more choices. I don't see why we'd need to choose one or the other here.

Kickstarter? I don't have any experience with this. But from what I've seen, kickstarter games generally give advantages to the founders, and I'm not a fan of any game that gives advantage to players who have the easiest access to mommy and daddy's credit cards. It'd be different if it were a question of player vs game environment (PvE), but any game with PvP should be created with a level playing field in mind. Let the skill, wits, and experience of the player determine victory and defeat, and not how often the player is willing to punch in the digits of a piece of plastic.

• Like 1

Game purchase or cheaper game purchase with small monthly fee. (whatever works best for the game)

I wouldn't even consider playing DayZ if it goes "buy4power" model a.k.a. microtransaction model that is popular so much nowadays where I can pay for boosts/weapons/etc. Just saying...

Also:

Studio developed with strong community input.

Ideally, Game purchase only.

Studio/community developed not a big issue provided your calling the shots, don't let your 'Hero's Journey' turn into a 'Doodle Centipede'

Current server system works fine just needs more control, forced updates etc.

Vas.

kickstart it, no sub, If you did it right and fixed all the issues there is no game could go for 60$

With the style of the game and how it plays right now I would say game purchase with no subscription is the most suitable and would bring in the most players. I enjoy the game as it is with having to find your own items so there's level playing field for everyone, F2P and "buying" items in this game would ruin it completely and make it unbalanced/unfair.

Listening to what the players have to say is always good and I don't think enough studios do that. It could be studio with that idea in mind, or just community - whichever.

Servers are good the way they are at the moment. Community-ran servers with the input/restrictions from the developers to keep the gameplay the same no matter what you play on is a great idea so everyone can have servers in their country and they can build their own communities around them and bring more players in, etc.

Kickstarter/pre-purchase would most likely be successful, I'd say yes to that also and pay myself.

Prefer pay for game then like every 6 months or so release new content or something for a nominal fee.

but I wouldn't mind paying for items if I kept them on death. Paying $5 for a backpack just for some kid to kill me and take it doesn't sound like fun.

Game purchase only.

If you need more cash then appropriate, APPROPRIATE DLC can be justified - and for God's sake no pay to win.

Don't let yourself get too distracted Rocket - this game feels so fuckin' fresh because a bunch of designers and artists and developers and suits and lawyers didn't get round a table to make it. you did. Don't let them take it away from you one iota.

Kickstarter it as well - you'll have millions and millions.

Edited by Bacon Surfboard

If this mod ever becomes a stand alone I hope to god it's not on this horrific engine. That said...

Game purchase only.

Studio developed.

Kickstarter.

It really depends. I would expect a lot more content from a Purchase and Subscription model than a just purchase one. No FTP.

Fund how ever you have to and as long as you are making sure the project stays true to it's roots I don't care you develops it.

Shit is gettin serious.

If this was made as a stand alone game, or as part of some particular existing game, what kind of consumer model would you want to play it on?

- Game purchase with Monthly fee? (WoW stylez)

- Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

- Free to play, buy your shit?

- Something else?

Also:

- Community developed or studio developed?

- Community or studio servers? or both?

- Kickstarter? or not?

Please try and stick to short sentences, its much easier for me to get broad feedback.

You should have put up a poll? :)

"Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)" for me, any having to buy anything (other than DLC packs) after the initial purchase of the game is a huge red flag for me (and a lot of other gamers).

I would say studio developed, whilst taking ideas from the community, and Kickstarter definitely.

Game purchase only

Both community and studio servers with the possability for server owners to set up private servers/DBs with their own settings without connection to the official database.

Game purchase only.

You can pull a TF2 with purchasing of permanent cosmetics perhaps?

Community servers.

Good luck, my friend. Make it big time.

Edited by Afgoo