rocket

IF this was an actual game...

• Stand-Alone or Arma 3 Expansion - One-Off payment.
  • I could live with 'Micro Transactions' for 'Cosmetic Items' but in no way for 'Pay to Win' scams we see elsewhere.
  • BiS would have to be the dev/publisher if you went with an Arma 3 Expansion.

• If you went stand-alone you could sell pre-orders to get access to beta builds.
  • I'd like a studio to get behind the project so long as they allow you creative control and did not impose impossible restraints.
  • Don't let us(the community) have too much input in to the development. A 'Vocal Minority' can be the death of start up projects.
  • Both community and studio sponsored servers. Peer to peer hosting will kill it.

• Kick Starter may work, I've never participated in any though and have no interest in any of them so far.
  • Whatever happens I wish you and the DayZ team every success.

Edited by ProdigyMD
  • Like 2

Just make it good and I'll pay whatever.

WoW Style > GW Style. Studio Servers to keep hackers away (Sub makes sense to pay for a good server infrastructure)

F2P/Pay2Win would ruin it, I wouldn´t pay.

Kickstarter? Why not.

Community or studio developed? I would definitely pay people for their work. If they develop a good game, they should earn a lot of money with it. But studios have accountants and accountants tend to turn every good project into casual gamers disneyland where you are diapered, spoon fed with selected content and GMs take care that nobody hurts you. Also, the community knows your game better than you do.

IF you keep your accountants calculating their numbers instead of fumbling with management decisions and keep an open ear for your community, I´d say studio developed.

Definately one time purchase.

I want to play other mmo's, but don't because I refuse to pay a monthly fee for a game.

Edited by xPandaHunterx

I want to play other mmo's, but don't because I refuse to pay a monthly fee for a game.

So you will be satisfied if DayZ launches once and never updates with additional content after launch day?

You will be happy when DayZ 2 launches one year later and you have to pay for that?

People who refuse to pay monthly fees for games absolutely confound me. Makes no sense whatsoever.

For the record, the idea of paying for loot makes my skin crawl and want to punch the wall. But a lot of studios prefer that model because it SOUNDS free to the customer. So the customer plays it, then ends up spending more than a monthly fee. But it destroys any sense of balancing and.. .ugh... I can't even talk about it the idea of it makes me so angry.

Yes i totally agree with this, but i have seen some games with micro transactions that will not imbalance the game. Like an example already posted by some players is different skins. There are many more cosmetic and added bonusses you can think off that will make the paying players not OP, but still make micro transactions besides purchasing the game give some extra income.

I would like to ask you Rocket. Hypothetically if you wasn't a dev and were a fellow minion of the community how would you answer these questions?

How would you rather pay for it?

- Game purchase with Monthly fee? (WoW stylez)

- Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

- Free to play, buy your shit?

- Something else?

Also:

- Community developed or studio developed?

- Community or studio servers? or both?

- Kickstarter? or not?

I'd genuinely really like to hear your ideals of what the model of the project would be as I'm sure many others would too.

Thanks.

Kickstarter and release some stupid epic edition with the Anyone in Cherno t-shirts etc.

I don't care how I pay for it, one of fee, monthly fees etc I don't care.

The Micro transaction model is a little meh to be honest, although I suppose you could do it with cosmetic stuff, let people buy a starting weapon or something but I'm kind of against this option.

Shit on LoL I spent £1,000 in 3 months on skins on that game, another game I played I was dumping £300 a week on cash stop stuff and on a previous game my guild played 2 members spent over £10,000 in a 6 month period and a few over £5,000... They were OP as hell and those who didn't buy anything didn't stand a chance in hell.

Edited by FoulMouth

Game purache and be done with it.

Studio developed

kickstarter

If it's free 2 play then alot hackers gonna come in.

But if it's one time purache then hackers gonna have to pay to hack and then get banned and lose money :P

So you will be satisfied if DayZ launches once and never updates with additional content after launch day?

You will be happy when DayZ 2 launches one year later and you have to pay for that?

People who refuse to pay monthly fees for games absolutely confound me. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I have no intention of paying a monthly subscription for any game, hence the fact that MMO games like EVE have no intrest for me, im wont be held to ransom to play a product i have already bought.

• Like 1

I have no intention of paying a monthly subscription for any game, hence the fact that MMO games like EVE have no intrest for me, im wont be held to ransom to play a product i have already bought.

Eve is the worst example you can give as it's one of the few games that you can buy your monthly time for in game cash.

Thats because i wouln't get into WoW if it was free :P.

I dont have unlimited amounts of money to spend on a video game hobby, and i would rather get a new game every month than pay for the same game every month.

Edited by Badhaggis

Once game purchase with DLC's later on.

No in-game purchases(only skills)

Studio based

Game purchase only. Will pay again for new map or a major upgrade.

Zero (capital zero) interest in MTs, buyable anything, quests etc. If it has to happen, cosmetics only please.

If paid, move to studio dev.

Community servers (assuming hive gets faster, more responsive; and server misuse/abuse is monitored).

Kickstarter... sure.

--

You have 800k+ players who - by their sheer dint of effort to install a buggy alpha mod - telegraph that they are convertible to sales. This is not an easily downloaded, quick to get running Web game that people will drop once a pay gate shows up. These are people putting real effort and time into playing an alpha. Convert 200,000 of them into $10 donations, that should get you through year one, maybe 18 months.

Shit is gettin serious.

If this was made as a stand alone game, or as part of some particular existing game, what kind of consumer model would you want to play it on?

How would you rather pay for it?

- Game purchase with Monthly fee? (WoW stylez)

- Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

- Free to play, buy your shit?

- Something else?

Also:

- Community developed or studio developed?

- Community or studio servers? or both?

- Kickstarter? or not?

Please try and stick to short sentences, its much easier for me to get broad feedback.

How to pay for it:

Well that would depend on a load of things. Will the game be repetitive? Ofcourse not, every experience that happens in it will always be unique, since you never know what'll happen.

'Buying your shit' - do you keep it items permanently or what? in my opinion, I think you should have a market similar to APB. Make something like a safe zone, on a small island off the coast of Kamenka where anyone who wants to go and buy stuff on the 'black market' is able to do so - Could be ranged from Vehicles, to miscellaneous items. Ofcourse they can be bought and sold with either Rockets on 'CASH' (purchased CASH) or earned Gold (i.e, finding them on Zeds or whatever)

The vehicles could be switched between each server regarding it's location. For example - The car which is sold on a seattle server, has to stick to all seattle servers, with a maximum car limit on each server (say 15cars a server?)

so Imo - F2P, but buy your shit if you want.

Mixed between community developed and studio developed. Studio works on stability, community works on what they want added, and try make the files or whatever.

Community and studio servers - since studio servers may not be in someones desired location as it's 'far away'

Except you didn't "already buy" the content that is being developed for an MMO (or any game) after it is released.

Subscriptions pay for ongoing development, so the studio can afford to keep a full team on the product long-term, continuing to release updates and new content and bug fixes, etc. long after launch date.

That's the whole point. If there were no subscription, then the team would move on to develop a new game, not stay on the product you're playing and continue to provide you content and fixes for free.

So if you don't want to pay a subscription for DayZ, then you're just going to have to buy DayZ 2, DayZ 3, DayZ 4, etc., etc. so that they can afford to keep developing the game.

Unless you're perfectly happy only ever having the content and mechanics that are available on launch day and nothing else forever?

Nobody's holding you "ransom." You're just paying for what you get. Nothing is free.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

WoW Style. Or Game Purchase only. If you go free to play expect to lose a lot of your fanbase, rofl.

Edited by Grimlok

To be honest, I love this game myself. The concept is great. It has it's bugs and annoyances. But, It's Alpha, so I don't really care, it'll get better. But, if there's a monthly subscription fee, I probably won't play it. I work too damn hard for my money.

Game Purchase Only.

Studio Developed.

Kickstarter.

I personally would not pay per month to play it.

Game Purchase only. Alot of people have bought ARMAII just for this mod so already its like a Game purchase, making a monthly fee will lower your players.

studio- Proffesional and quick.

Kickstarter as it give a lil extra money for lil extra game ideas.

DayZ is a great game and I would love it to go standalone with:

-Game purchase only.

-Store with cheap downloadable content that comes out every so often that will allow your character to start with a selection of extra stuff but not all of it so there is no OP noobs and some skins so the players can make their character as unique as possible.

-Studio developed mainly but look to the community for ideas and features.

-Studio and community servers.

-Kickstarter would be a great thing to use as many people are excited for DayZ to be released in its full glory. This means many people would donate to speed up the process and make the game as good as it can possibly be.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Nothing could convince me to play a "free to play" game, cause that title is highly misleading. I don't want hats ;-) or to pay for convenience or, even worse, gear.

Do NOT make it "free to play"!

Game purchase only,

Do not want it to be subscription based

Do not want it to be pay to win. I don't mind paying for cosmetic changes though, similar to planetside2's model.

I'm not sure, what we have now is good?

Both

Kickstarter

Edited by smasht_AU