agippo

Map Hack detection?

After being discouraged from playing DayZ on public serves due to hackers and some dubious clan admins, A few of us have moved to running our own private hive games.

One question before we open the gates and invite people to join us, does anyone have any way of detecting players using map hacks?

we have been monitoring logs for suspicious players that seem to have a superhuman ability to sniff our a heli crashes, but this is obviously time consuming, and also its not impossible to find heli crashes legitimatly.

I am not posting this with any high hopes, but let me know if you have any methods to detect map hackers.

Also on a side note, wow is DayZ different without every second player sporting full kit and a thermal AS50, and every tenth player teleporting everywhere. Couldn't be happier with the decision to go private!

Edited by agippo
  • Like 1

I am consistently blown away by the talent and dedication of the modding community. Proves you don't need a high salary to create great products. It's a shame when people whose only talent is exploitation usually try to hijack it. I have more faith in people like yourself OP than I do in the industry. Trying to provide a cheater free environment for people is a great service, kudos to you.

Nah, not that i'm aware of.

I'd say just watch for obvious things if you can - like a player that logs in and goes directly to a vehicle.

For example, we've had several instances of people who leave a bicycle and take one of our vehicles - which more than likely means they spawned on the coast, went directly to the nearest bicycle and then used it to go directly to our vehicle to take it.

• Like 2

Yeah, thats exactly what I thought. Our server admin is testing a bit of code he hopes will detect players that go directly from vehicle to vehicle (and heli crashes) and then alert us to these people. The aim there is to have something automated so that the admin doesnt have to know in advance where all the good stuff is to adminsitrate properly. Obviously the admins are players too, so a system where nobody has any increased knowedge of loot is what we are aiming for.

If it works ill see if we can share it around for others to test

• Like 2

the only way to find out "smart" maphackers is to maphack.

logs doesent logs this exploit so if you want to find out who is doing it , you will have to go blackhat and monitor players with same kind of tool.

(by smart i mean cheaters that only uses maphack and no other cheat)

Edited by Shuggoth

im kinda thinking on the lings of shuggoth as well.. maybe get someone you really really trust like a truely 100 justice filled admin.. and set him/her up.. in a way they can monitor player movement tele portiing spawning ect. been thinking about anti cheater / cheats lol been experimenting with my own private server.

I just found out that there is a tool for the map showing everything on servers, who makes such thngs, and why?

It's really a high temptation to use it yself if i find it, but that ruins gameplay

I often hide tents at locations NO ONE ever found for months in earlier dayZ stages, and now they are found in a matter of hours... and i am wondering, well, no more

I highly recommend one of the player location tracker maps available. It is only locally available and you can see the inventories of people without needing to look at the mysql data directly. They can even highlight 'suspicious' items that you can set yourself. Like RangeFinders and AS50. It also shows vehicle and tent locations so you can very easily see if they are hopping from car to car, tent to tent.

• Like 1

Mendo.. that soundsa bloody useful tool. I assume it logs that data so you dont have to sit watching it as you go?

Any suggestions on where these can be found?

I am very grateful for people like you guys, you're doing a great thing.

I've recently been playing on a Private hive and even then, we still have people cheating and using map hacks.

We know this because we find people moving from vehicle to vehicle in straight lines and from fresh spawns