Strategos (DayZ)

Semi Perma Death.

I agree with it and would propose limited respawns. Though I almost think your idea is better.

Current life + 2 respawns (3 lives) per 12hrs for vets

Current life + 3 respawns (4 lives) per 12hrs for new comers, after 12 deaths you enter vet mode

-or to be more sadistic (which i think is completely fair)

Current life + 1 respawn (2 lives) per 24hrs for vets

Current life + 2 respawns (3 lives) per 24hrs for new comers, after 9 deaths you enter vet mode

I also feel that life isn't sacred enough. I play with a large group of people and the OP is right. Once you acquire things, dying loses it's meaning.

If you wanted to really enrage some people you could en-state the 1hr or 2hr server ban + 12hr or 24hr limited respawns.

*smile*

Anything that makes a player fear death while allowing them to have another go at it in the same day, I'm all for.

***How about a tag on the gear, so when you die, you are prevented from picking up any of your gear.

All players within 100 meters of you, are tagged as having gear you could not use for maybe for 6 hours so that if you quickly came into contact with a player from that area, the could not give you any gear until they died (death could reset ownerships since you are looting from someone that died).

Then you could stay on the same server, still chill and head towards your friends, and after 4 hours, if you head the right directions, you would pretty much be re-geared anyway. So getting your stuff back would be ok.

The biggest problem with a server ban, is the pain in the ass it is to find a good server. I wouldn't play if I had to spend the 30 minutes connecting and disconnecting on servers looking for the right pop and performance and lighting each time I died. Thats... its not going to work.

hmmm

serverban would be good but sucks because of shitty servers.

limited respawns just sucks. I wanna play whenever I want to play.

This is literally the worst idea I have seen. THe title of the post should be "How to make the game less fun and turn away new players."

EDIT: Actually I lied, every idea in this thread of even considering the possibility of a server ban is moronic.

Thanks for bumping it though Failsafe , appreciated ;)

It might not work as an idea, but I enjoy the discussion. You should try it some time before ironically using the word moronic.

I used moronic in the literal sense. Also, sorry for being so harsh, but the cons far outweigh the pros, there is no good that can come from this.

Great argumenting, saying something is stupid idea generally wins any argument, being so deep and undeniable.

"I used moronic in the literal sense. Also, sorry for being so harsh, but the cons far outweigh the pros, there is no good that can come from this."

Yes saying something is moronic while making a moronic post is Ironic ;)

But seriously joking aside. If you read my original post you can't say no good one come of it. But you may well be right that cons out weigh the pros.

I just wonder about the contradiction in the game, it encourages team work but has a perma (sort of) death system. So you die and are supposed to spawn again as a completely new person. But people playing as a part of a group on TS have no loss of continuity all they suffer is 10 minutes of frustration until their mates pick them up and give them their gear back , after magically knowing where this reincarnation of their old friend has appeared on the shore line.

In many ways Dayz is like two different games. You have the start where lone survivors struggle for survival , dying over and over until they manage finally to progress. A harch unforgiving world of pain, fear and death! Calling out to strangers begging them to be friengly.

Then you have another game where you sit in the wilds with a bunch of mates , not really scared of much at all. Driving around in landrovers etc Communicating instantly across the whole map. When you die it has very little effect and your loot quality gets better and better because of this. And you slay all you encounter because all they can offer you is a threat.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoy that part of the game to be honest, had a cracking time last night with my mates hoofing around in our vehicles. But you cannot deny the dichotomy inherent in the two aspects.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoy that part of the game to be honest' date=' had a cracking time last night with my mates hoofing around in our vehicles. But you cannot deny the dichotomy inherent in the two aspects.

[/quote']

This is the core problem with your idea. You acknowledge that there are multiple ways that someone can play this game that are fun, but then you try to make the case that your way is the only one that should be allowed. And not only is that draconian, but it's also nonsensical. No matter how much you try, you can't make every game like the first. Players have access to information that new players don't, and outside resources that are beyond the control of the staff. Not only that, but your idealistic view of people teaming up runs vastly contrary to how the game seems to work, with most people killing other players or occasionally letting them go by. In the end, people are going to play how THEY want to play the game, and making it harder for people to enjoy the game the way they want to as long as it isn't at another player's expense not only breaks immersion but also causes frustration and drives players away.

And not only that, but if they're not hurting anyone else, what business is it of yours whether or not they're ruining their own experience in the game? Isn't it THEIR choice, not yours? And didn't you just say that playing it the way you'd like to ban can be fun and entertaining?

This idea falls apart on every level. It is unnecessary, it frustrates and drives away players, it is controlling, it breaks immersion, it is difficult to implement, and the usefulness of it is contradicted by your own statements.

I'm not going to call you a moron, but I WILL call this idea incredibly stupid and not very well thought-out.

"This is the core problem with your idea. You acknowledge that there are multiple ways that someone can play this game that are fun, but then you try to make the case that your way is the only one that should be allowed."

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm making a suggestion and discussing it, hell im even saying it may not be a good idea. I'm acknowledging there are different styles but pointing out that the core mechanics of the game are at odds with each other.

Am I making the rule sin this game ? No Rocket is, and in the game now is the incredibly Draconian insta / semi perma death system AND a mechanics for camps and team play that extent your life beyond the one that the game SEEMS to be geared towards.

Am i saying you should play one way or the other ? No. Am i saying the game seems to contradict itself, yes.

My original suggestion was an idea to focus the game on the aspect of it that I think is the really interesting part. I've never played a game that conjures up so much stress, fear and uncertainty as Dayz in that "survival" part of the game.

Playing as a team in the end game is totally different. Not very scary but great fun.

You can see the dichotomy in the forum, you see one crowd calling for it to be more hardcore, scarier etc.

Then you see another crowd hollering for spawning at your friends, spawning at tents, factions, safe zones etc , artificial mechanics to enhance the teamplay aspect of it.

I like it, but it should be tied in with the "Expert" server difficulty settings. Let the people who want total immersion play on those servers, while still having normal servers for the clans.

Otherwise there would be issues where some people can only get on one server due to ping and a bug killed them so now their night is screwed.

"This is the core problem with your idea. You acknowledge that there are multiple ways that someone can play this game that are fun' date=' but then you try to make the case that your way is the only one that should be allowed."

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm making a suggestion and discussing it, hell im even saying it may not be a good idea. I'm acknowledging there are different styles but pointing out that the core mechanics of the game are at odds with each other.

Am I making the rule sin this game ? No Rocket is, and in the game now is the incredibly Draconian insta / semi perma death system AND a mechanics for camps and team play that extent your life beyond the one that the game SEEMS to be geared towards.

Am i saying you should play one way or the other ? No. Am i saying the game seems to contradict itself, yes.

My original suggestion was an idea to focus the game on the aspect of it that I think is the really interesting part. I've never played a game that conjures up so much stress, fear and uncertainty as Dayz in that "survival" part of the game.

Playing as a team in the end game is totally different. Not very scary but great fun.

You can see the dichotomy in the forum, you see one crowd calling for it to be more hardcore, scarier etc.

Then you see another crowd hollering for spawning at your friends, spawning at tents, factions, safe zones etc , artificial mechanics to enhance the teamplay aspect of it.

[/quote']

Just because you can play a game two different ways does not mean that the core gameplay is somehow at odds with itself, same is how selecting a mage instead of a warrior doesn't mean that there's some big issue with RPG's. There are multiple ways to play, and advocating that be restricted, which is what you did by suggesting what you did, is utterly nonsensical to me.

I don't mind the respawn/clan thing, that's what friends are for. Plus if you think about it when bad things happen people clan up and kill things. Think medieval times, or the early American settlers. Everyone lived within running distance of the fort or a fortified blding and headed for it and weapons when in trouble. My problem is all the people that just kill everyone.

"Just because you can play a game two different ways does not mean that the core gameplay is somehow at odds with itself, same is how selecting a mage instead of a warrior doesn't mean that there's some big issue with RPG's. There are multiple ways to play, and advocating that be restricted, which is what you did by suggesting what you did, is utterly nonsensical to me."

Your really not making a good argument.

Classes in an RPG is a mechanic rooted in one game-play paradigm it's not even closely related to the point im attempting to explain to you. I'm guessing if you haven't got it yet your probably not going to. So I'll leave you to it.

I agree it really is ridiculous that you can get your stuff back in 5-10 minutes as if nothing happened. To some dying is a minor inconvenience. At least now with the buffed Zeds players will find it harder to retrieve stuff - i am sure that is why half the people are bitching about why the updates should be rolled back etc.

I do think there needs to be a solution. Having all these realistic aspects to a survival game is voided by the fact you can get all psychic and go back to your last characters body and get all your loot back.

Perhaps Rockets suggestion that there is a % chance of degradation or destruction of equipment on death may be the only way to alleviate the problem.

Its a tough one and really the only ones who would oppose the suggestion are loot farmers or pussies who cant handle starting again from scratch.

I really don't see the point of all the "hardcore" people whining about this, and saying how they don't care about equipment and stuff but only about experience of playing. If you really don't care about any of those why do you care if i get my equipment back in 10 mins cause i'm playing with friends?

And the beauty of this game is that there are so many ways of playing it, and all you people do with suggestions like these is try to narrow it down to your desirable settings. If you really don't care about dying, and equipment but just the sole experience of not knowing what's gonna happen next, don't geared up teams add to suspense really? If there are very little geared up people on the server you have a lot less to be afraid from.

My point is if you don't want to be geared up and play with friends just don't, and let other people have their fun, i don't see why it bothers you what someone else does.

Not sure why you think this will get rid of clan play. If anything it is going to increase it. One or two people from the clan might die clearing the NW airfield, but they will be able to clear it, and they will know nobody is going to be bothering them for at least 2 hours. Clans would also set up people on the coast to get rid of new players joining. Additionally this would kill server populations, which would reduce the number of servers being run, which would decrease the number of "chances" you got to play, which would increase your time away from the game.

#1 priority in the gaming industry is keeping people playing the game you create. The absolute last thing you want to do is prevent people from doing that. You are also essentially punishing people for PvP, which they said they would never do. You are indirectly punishing them, but you are punishing them none-the-less.

This is an age old debate, but overall, there are more pro's than con's of promoting clan play vice trying to prevent it. And most importantly, you are playing to have fun. If you aren't having fun, you need a new game to play, or you need to change the way you already play. Making people sit on the sideline like they got knocked out in a dodgeball game is not fun. There are very very few exceptions to this, and the only one that comes to mind for me right now is CODs Search and Destroy game type. But the max time you will spend on the sideline in that game is maybe 5 minutes? Can't support an idea that will keep you out of action for longer than that, especially when the idea would promote griefing of new players.

If this ever takes effect' date=' im just going to kill everyone, spawn camp everything and have the server to myself and take all the loot, until it is reversed.

[/quote']

I love this idea in OP but woofed brings a slight problem. The possibility that a big group of people join a server and gradually dwindle out the stragglers and have the server to their own :/. Really like the idea, but it can be exploitable.

Well its a possibility! I wonder if that would happen :) Only one way to find out ;) I personally think the number of servers and the huge number of players - and the wide distribution of spawn points would make this impossible.

"#1 priority in the gaming industry is keeping people playing the game you create. "

Luckily Rocket doesn't subscribe to this I don't think. hence his description of Dayz as an Anti_Game.

He must subscribe to this, because if you don't keep people playing you don't have the game any more, well you do but it's pointless. I presume that what he thinks by anti-game is the sole nature of this game, which is different to majority of the games, which is that you can't beat this game, you can't win. Only thing you can do is last as long as possible. Where is other games there is clear goal and clear victory. Here every little aspect of the game is goal, find food, find water, find ammo, transport etc. It's kinda like Tetris, u can't beat it but it keeps you going by getting better and surviving more...

I dont think Rocket created this mod to pander to the "clans just wanna have fun" idea. It is meant to be a realistic simulation of an improbable scenario. Being able to loot your previous characters body while your mates guard it is unrealistic and i am pretty sure it will be rectified somehow before it gets to be a release. Otherwise you may as well not have perma-death and be like a thousand other games on the market.

Ill just grab a few choice quotes from Rocket here:

"DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel, dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game it was more of an experiment, I prefer the term "anti-game" - in other words the mechanics are not designed to be balanced, or offer a way out for different situations. These are things game designers normally take care with."

"Your actions have real and brutal consequences. There are no game designed safety nets."

"It is the kind of system/environment that will sometimes make you want to punch the computer screen. "

"This kind of activity is not for everyone. It really is more of a social experiment than a game. There is no intention to change that"

"Why make something that has already been done?"

"This isn't really a game. Maybe a real game, from a studio, will come from the concept. For me, this is art. My intention was to generate real human emotions: high on the list was frustration, being pissed off, and a general distaste for some elements of society and what happens when the shit really goes down.

If you're fed up, frustrated, maybe even angry then I've done my job. I don't want money, fame, power from it. I've achieved precisely the effect I wanted even if you never play the game again, and hopefully made people think about a few things along the way."

I liked the 'items you have at the time of death are tagged so you can't pick them up (tag dissapears after 12 hours or so.) idea', people can loot your body, but you can't run back to it and re-equip yourself.

Teams could get round it if they all have similar equipment or loads of items stashed in a camp somewhere, but teams will find a way around almost everything really.

I love this idea in OP but woofed brings a slight problem. The possibility that a big group of people join a server and gradually dwindle out the stragglers and have the server to their own :/. Really like the idea' date=' but it can be exploitable.

[/quote']

That would mean nobody else can join. The full servers would get people back faster than you could spawnkill them.

This must happen on expert servers