son54

Age limits are everywhere

Its sad that almost every clan has a 18+ policy. You can't judge people by age. I have played with so many random people I met ingame and nobody ever asked or cared about age. I had a clan once ask me my age after I became a high rank and the leaders gasped. They believed by my voice and calmness that I must have been even older than they were.

To the point: Clans, groups, and teams, please rethink your age policy and judge people on their personality and maturity. If not, a massive demographic of dayz is given limited choice when trying to play with clans groups or teams.

• Like 3

Our community/clans dont have age limits, we just ask for common sense and fair play. Speaking from experience though it tends to be mostly lost on younger players, however we have some really cracking younger guys playing with us.

Edited by Box

I have an age policy of 16+ because anyone in HS has a more lenient schedule than somebody of 14 or 15. Plus a lot of people just don't want the immaturity of a little kid on their team, or they want older people in/out of college who have a lot of free time on their hands.

I have an age policy of 16+ because anyone in HS has a more lenient schedule than somebody of 14 or 15. Plus a lot of people just don't want the immaturity of a little kid on their team, or they want older people in/out of college who have a lot of free time on their hands.

14 and 15 IS highschool

The squeaky voice is ear rape xD

Thats only on call of duty where you find the 6-12 year olds

Its not exactly about the voices but more about their style of play. For example most younger people I have met have been very unreliable and difficult to play with. Some swear constantly and others betray. Its not like that with everyone but In most cases 14 and under usually are like this.

I think the game has an age limit of 16 in most places, so it is actually not too much to ask.

There are a lot of 16+ clans too. You have to understand that some people that are like me, 24, don't bother talking to 16 year olds or even to younger players.

While it is true that there are young and mature people out there, such a group is very much in the minority. Hell if you were to make a graph it would basically be an extremely steep downhill slope in terms of maturity in relation to age.

I can't speak for other clans, but a lot of times the age limit is meant as a general deterrent to most of the immature kids out there. And when you're constantly dealing with applicants day in and day out....the last thing a recruitment officer would want to deal with.......would be kids unfortunately.

Edited by Deetwo
  • Like 1

There are a lot of 16+ clans too. You have to understand that some people that are like me, 24, don't bother talking to 16 year olds or even to younger players.

You don't see the point

You don't know what age person you are talking to until they tell you.

Edited by son54

You don't see the point

You wont have any idea what age person you are talking to until they tell you.

Which is why most applications has a space for age.

And I see where you're going with this. People can lie all they want on the application, but the player's age will be very apparent once they are actually spoken with. Once a recruitment officer goes ahead and speaks with an applicant via voice chat (be it steam/skype/vent/ts/mumbles/raidcall), not only will their voice give them away; but other signs of immaturity will come into light as well. All of which will betray the information listed on said application.

Which is why most applications has a space for age.

And I see where you're going with this. People can lie all they want on the application, but the player's age will be very apparent once they are actually spoken with. Once a recruitment officer goes ahead and speaks with an applicant via voice chat (be it steam/skype/vent/ts/mumbles/raidcall), not only will their voice give them away; but other signs of immaturity will come into light as well. All of which will betray the information listed on said application.

Again, read the first post. Unless said applicant has not hit puberty age is just a guess.

doublepost

Edited by son54

the real question is why are parents letting their kids under the age of 16 play these types of games. where i am at you have to have a photo id and be 17+ to buy an M rated game like this. Don't they hear their kids swearing over voicechat when playing COD/BF/Dayz? It's simply baffling how parents nowadays are completly and utterly useless and wha they let their kids get away with. Frankly most kids don't have the maturity to play these types of games anyway. So why should clans even think about recruiting them? Especially when the majority of them are loud-mouthed and sarcastic little pricks. Don't get me wrong...I did meet some who do act mature for their age and are the exact opposite...but they are few and far between, least in my experience anyway.

• Like 2

I highly disagree about the time thing. When I was in middle school (14-15) I had soooooooooooooooo much free time. We only had homework like once a week so I could dedicate as much time to gaming as I wanted. Now I'm a sophomore homework is a total bitch and I can only get in about 3 hours max.

But on the topic of age restrictions for groups: I would never play with a little boy that sounds like a girl. SO immature. I do however have one friend in the 7th grade that's just as mature if not more than me but he's the only one I know. But 99.9 % of the time they will be annoying as all hell.

Again, read the first post. Unless said applicant has not hit puberty age is just a guess.

Like I've said in my previous post, there are other indications of their age. Generally speaking, any good recruitment officer after only a few minutes of chat should be able to tell if an applicant is not only a kid; but an immature one at that.

Edited by Deetwo

the real question is why are parents letting their kids under the age of 16 play these types of games. where i am at you have to have a photo id and be 17+ to buy an M rated game like this. Don't they hear their kids swearing over voicechat when playing COD/BF/Dayz? It's simply baffling how parents nowadays are completly and utterly useless and wha they let their kids get away with. Frankly most kids don't have the maturity to play these types of games anyway. So why should clans even think about recruiting them? Especially when the majority of them are loud-mouthed and sarcastic little pricks. Don't get me wrong...I did meet some who do act mature for their age and are the exact opposite...but they are few and far between, least in my experience anyway.

I don't see a single thing wrong with a little foul language here and there. What, do you think they've never heard it before?

And who is anyone to to judge another person's maturity level? I watched movies that would make make grown ups shit their pants at the age of 5! Look at me, I turned out to be one hell of a serial killer... :rolleyes:

I not only agree with the seemingly never ending age restrictions, but I would prefer MORE of them, it was playing with children that killed Halo. A lot of children although not always thier own fault, are terrible at games and don't quite grasp the concept of action and reaction as much as the rest of us.

Obviously this is not fair to the children who are good at games and play just like the rest of us do, but unforuntaly if them getting a bum deal is the price we have to pay for making sure we don't play with people who (using Halo as an example) scream down mic's, team kill, not play, killing a team mate for his weapon / vehicle even though he is clearly a superior marksman / pilot, takeing the flag in the wrong direction, play aimlessly (running in circles), boot players every chance they get, targeting allies who are on a killstreak, geust killing, random poorly spelt hate mail, giving the bomb to the enemy...

I could go on, the point is if to avoid all that and more we have to give the "innocent" children a bum deal..... Well, what do you think?

• Like 3

If I were the leader of a Clan I would use a age restriction because like people have said, they don't exactly want the squeaky voice 12 year old's playing with them. Its better if they just stick with playing call of duty.

I'm sorry son, but you can tell someone's age by their behaviour and language, very easily.

For example, when you find yourself dealing with someone who is impatient, or finds it difficult to follow the instructions of other players who have senior roles in a clan, that is often a sign of someone who is very young and immature. Bragging is another sign.

Also, another example, someone who posts threads that say things like "Yo, sup, I is lookin to git me a clan", you can tell you are not dealing with someone who is 20 or 30 years old.

Yet another example is swearing. I swear from time to time but I don't feel the need to swear frequently, as some younger people do. These are all indicators that you are dealing with a young player.

However, NONE of the above means that all younger players do those things or are immature. It just means that when people do those things, older players can tell they are dealing with someone younger.

For me, I am not interested in playing with someone who just keeps on wanting to go to an airfield for guns and find people to shoot, and no matter what other plans the group might have, they keep on and on about wanting to the thing they want. If they don't get what they want, they storm off. It's another sign one is dealing with a child or young person. Adults, young or old, don't do that unless they are immature too.

Axe, I'd love an over 21 forum. Somewhere peaceful to post actual questions and get proper answers that are useful. Bliss!

Edit - sorry I wanted to add that some of the most helpful and friendly people I have come across in Dayz are 14-16 years old. I do not include those friendly, kind, generous, playful and enthusiastic young adults in what I've written above, as they don't do those things.

Perhaps clans could have a probation period? I know one 14 year old person who is friendly mature and eager to learn but he can't get into a clan because of the more immature people of his age group, and lower.

Edited by Sula
  • Like 3

I don't see a single thing wrong with a little foul language here and there. What, do you think they've never heard it before?

And who is anyone to to judge another person's maturity level? I watched movies that would make make grown ups shit their pants at the age of 5! Look at me, I turned out to be one hell of a serial killer... :rolleyes:

...this response is a good reason why alot of groups have age limits. And just because they heard swearing before doesn't mean they should do it. The point is younger people like yourself swear excessively and needlessly just to act cool or to act like morons, all of which is annoying to older players. If you were older trying to play a game and all you hear over voicechat is F this and F that and so on and so forth it kinda ruins the experience. I also have to mention the famous other common saying over chat/voicechat "faggot n00b!" or similiar saying i have read/heard from the younger players that I can't remember off he top of my head nor care to. This is not counting the younger player's who dont act like this of course. Kudo's to you and glad to play with you. B)

Edited by jc984

We picked up a friendly kid in-game a few nights ago. He was mostly tolerable. After a while he started repeating anything that the older guys said since he thought it was cool but it wasn't too bad. Last night, however, we finally got to a spot to set up camp and he was whining he couldn't get the tent set up. One of the older guys asked for the tent and he'd set it up and the kid kept running around in circles, messing with the vehicles, saying he'd give him the tent if he could catch him.

Moral of the story: Even kids who seem cool at first are still kids.