Gopher (DayZ)

1.7.3 PATCH DEBUG MONITOR TAKEN OUT-SOLUTION

Rocket gave out information on reddit stating that the devs will be taking out the debug monitor in the patch 1.7.3. Now I know what you're thinking. "Oh em gee, but I want to see my stats because I like to keep track of it." But have no fear, I have a solution. Link- http://www.reddit.co...st_want_in_dayz

An easy way to add more realism to DayZ and keep track of your stats would be to add a new item which would be a player diary. Every new character would spawn with one and it could be used as a stat tracker. For example, you'd have to open it up through gear, and it would show how many zombie you've killed, how many headshots you have gotten, and how many players you have killed (in that character life), all of that would go up passively. Anyways, adding onto the diary concept, players could also write person text in it, hence it being a diary. And when you die, other players can go through it and see how many zombies, and players you've killed, they could also read what you have written down.

Though some of you guys may be asking, "Well how about my blood, how about my humanity? How is that going to be determined?" But fear not, I have an amazing solution to that. One of them is already solved, which is your blood count. All you have to do is look at your screen and ask yourself. "What color is my screen?" If its gray then you have low blood, if it's colorful, then you have high blood. But anyways, i'm sure you guys already knew that.

And for the second solution. Well if you think about it, we don't really need to know the exact number of how high or low our humanity is, mostly because the hero, bandit, and survivor skin indicates that pretty well. (Although you still got to be aware, since players like to wear camo and ghillie suits, but that just adds to the suspense and realism.) Though, the way you lose humanity and gain humanity is absolutley absurd and stupid. But let's not get off topic I could write a whole topic just saying how broken the way the humanity system works, but that's another story within itself. We could let the devs handle that problem, hopefully next patch ^^.

TL;DR

Add diaries that could track stats such as zombie kills, player kills, e.t.c---Look at your screen for blood indication---Let's face it who cares about knowing how high or low your humanity is, it's already fixed by bandit/hero skins.

Don't rage about this topic if you just read the TL;DR section. I went more in-depth on the paragraphs you got lazy too read.

lol I put so much time typing this, watch it only get like 10 views and 2 replies <_<

EDIT*

Finding a device that would be able to give ur blood reading would be a good idea since the devs are taking out the debug monitor.

(POSTED BY KYZAHH, 6TH POST)

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

Not knowing our blood value is quite stupid.

Can you imagine playing an MMO and not being able to know when you need to heal since you can't see how much health you/they have?

Not being able to see your actual health (either via visual or numerical representation) works in some games, but in a game such as this one, I do not believe that is the way to go, personally. However, everything else you have said here regarding diaries, etc. I like. Put your current blood count in there as well, and you get my vote.

EDIT: There's bringing "realism" to the game, then there's taking the "game" out of the game. The fact is, it's NOT real life, and it IS a game. Certain things are necessary in a game, and one of those is knowing your character's health statistics. Subtle changes in greyscale/color aren't a good way to do this, ESPECIALLY for color blind people. They'd be COMPLETELY screwed, and unable to play the game anywhere near the efficiency of someone who isn't colorblind. I mention this because I have a couple friends who are indeed colorblind.

Edited by Ipurgepeople

No, it would take the gameplay on an new level difficult , which in my opion is pretty nice and badass like perma death. So people need to act togehter. Maybe it can bring a Team feature where a Teammate can check your health status.

Edited by Paddy0610
  • Like 1

I can imagine looting someone's body and reading the wall of profanity they had pre-written to assault their killers eyes.

• Like 2

No, it would take the gameplay on an new level difficult , which in my opion is pretty nice and badass like perma death. So people need to act togehter. Maybe i can bring a Team feature where a Teammate can check your health status.

I like the idea of an electronic device that can give you a blood reading. But it shouldn't have to be administered by another player as you can't give yourself a blood transfusion so that feature would just be annoying.

I can imagine looting someone's body and reading the wall of profanity they had pre-written to assault their killers eyes.

Or worse...

"BUY SVD, ONLY $13.99 USD. BUY AT WEBSITE.CHINA FOR BEST DAYZ WEP IN GAMES! CHEPEST PRICE GUARANTEES!"

Imagine if you could leave notes on things.

Find a survivor camp and leave a note on the husk of their ex-chopper with a little message: "Trololololololol"

• Like 1

The indicators that tell you if you're hurt are more than enough. Such as groaning, low color, and impaired vision. While playing the vanilla Arma 2, especially ACE mod, there is no way to tell your exact blood other than those indicators. And in my opinion, it doesn't at all take away to the game. Like I said, the color scheme is more than enough, because ur screen instatly turns dull if u go below 10k, and starts to turn grey around 8-9k. Let's face it, most people aim to the head in to kill in pvp, and usually it'd take 5 good placed shots at the chest to down you. I don't think knowing if u have 12k or 10k health is going to stop you from going down. Because once you get caught and are in a bad position, you're either dead or unconscious.

I like the idea of an electronic device that can give you a blood reading. But it shouldn't have to be administered by another player as you can't give yourself a blood transfusion so that feature would just be annoying.

Sure an Device would do his Job too. So going into Hospitals would have more sense then filling up with Medicals once in a life.

The Team thing was just an though. But i can understand that certain Teamfeatures are annoing to lone wolves like Bloodpack atm.

The indicators that tell you if you're hurt are more than enough. Such as groaning, low color, and impaired vision. While playing the vanilla Arma 2, especially ACE mod, there is no way to tell your exact blood other than those indicators. And in my opinion, it doesn't at all take away to the game. Like I said, the color scheme is more than enough, because ur screen instatly turns dull if u go below 10k, and starts to turn grey around 8-9k. Let's face it, most people aim to the head in to kill in pvp, and usually it'd take 5 good placed shots at the chest to down you. I don't think knowing if u have 12k or 10k health is going to stop you from going down. Because once you get caught and are in a bad position, you're either dead or unconscious.

See my previous post, specifically the edit in regards to colorblind people.

If there's no colorblind-friendly way of determining your state of healthiness, I can tell you right now, I'm losing two squad members. And that pisses me off.

See my previous post, specifically the edit in regards to colorblind people.

If there's no colorblind-friendly way of determining your state of healthiness, I can tell you right now, I'm losing two squad members. And that pisses me off.

I agree what you have to say about color blind. I think that the devs should make more ways to show ur blood count such as captions as an option.

Yeah I posted that before I noticed you had an edit.

But it's nice to know if you're hovering above 9000 or just below so you can decide whether or not to wait for that blood transfusion. Get knocked out by a zombie and you're as good as dead.

I like this idea alot, it'd add alot more to the game in items to look for and it'd be helpful to people who have impaired vision.

There never used to be a debug menu when DayZ first started. You have a blood icon next to hunger and thirst...

But it's nice to know if you're hovering above 9000 or just below so you can decide whether or not to wait for that blood transfusion. Get knocked out by a zombie and you're as good as dead.

Yeah it's a pain, but I guess thats another reason to be more aware of how dangerous and annoying zombies can be.

Finding an item that will give you a blood reading would be alright, but it'd have to be self-usable, and not terribly uncommon (I'd say around as rare as antibiotics, perhaps a little more common)

oh Really! so what did we do when the mod first came out??? There was NO debug monitor! Your blood icon is more than enough! maybe you should start using it instead of relying on the dev's debuging info.

Finding an item that will give you a blood reading would be alright, but it'd have to be self-usable, and not terribly uncommon (I'd say around as rare as antibiotics, perhaps a little more common)

Yeah it should probably be as rare as camo clothing and spawn in residential areas, or something you'd find in a heli crash site specific medical boxes, probably containing 2-3 inside a box.

@OP:

Diaries, Yes.

Notes: Yes.

Stats: No.

Blood: No.

First off, i'll state my opinion: I am sad to see the debug monitor go away. It is going to be a whole new challenge to learn to play without it, and I personally like my zombie kill count.

That aside, it is a GREAT thing that they are taking away the debug monitor. You want stats? Go play CoD. This game is NOT intended to be about how many bandit kills you have, how many murders you have, or how many zombies you've killed. You want to know those? Remember them (or press I for zombies because I still believe that will work.) This game is about SURVIVAL, and the only thing that has to do with the debug monitor is blood, which i'll get to in a minute.

Removing the debug monitor will help people to stop looking at a noob as a "1" next to their murders, and start seeing them more like another player and human being. As long as the debug monitor is present, people will still view others as not only threats or companions (as it should be), but as stats themselves. What could be a devastating long survival death to you could just be a tick up on the murder meter for a bandit on sniper hill. Now am I saying killing people for sport will go away? No. People are dicks and they will always be dicks, that can't be helped. But it will help the amount of times it happens go down.

On to the topic of people whining about the blood going away: Let me ask you something. How do you know if you are really hungry? "Food is blinking." How do you know if you are really thirsty? "Drink is blinking." How do you know if you are really cold? "Temperature is blinking." How do you know if you are bleeding? "White cross is blinking." How do you know if you are really hurt? "It says 2000 blood :D"

See the funny thing here guys? Right off the bat, seeing our blood (exactly) makes no sense according to all the other things we have to worry about in DayZ.

Most of us here have played a fairly decent amount of time, and we know how food and drink meters work. But how many of you have honestly looked at the blood meter? Other than to check for bleeding, probably not a whole lot. I'll be honest and say I rarely if EVER look at the little drop of blood other than to see if I am hungry for a bandage. But do you REALLY need to know your exact blood level? No. And if you think about it, it makes sense. You can't tell me "oh, im 40 out of 100 thirsty right now, i'll be good until I hit 10 out of 100." The same goes for blood. You can't know "oh, I have exactly 2473.2 units of blood left. I should probably be more careful." This game is SUPPOSED to be about realism, and that is WHY there are no rules enforced on it as it is. It is a world in which its members create. Just as it would be if this disaster actually occured.

Rocket talked in his showcase of dogs (woohoo! They look useless!) How he wants to remove ALL icons except for the sight and sound ones. He said EVERYTHING else could probably be done away with. That would mean only relying on cues from your character like grumbling stomach and things like that. There is a good chance that DayZ will one day become just that. You shouldn't see this as something to whine about. You should see this as a new challenge. A way to further prove yourself and shine a new light on the gem that is DayZ. Trust me, I am a huge hater of change, but removing stats, the debug monitor, and exact blood, will be a huge step foreward for us all.

• Like 1

There is a very subtle easy to miss visual hint indicating a low blood value.

Hint: Colors, or a lack of it.

People should try to get away from the MMO mindset and start playing this for the experience (no not the XP kind of experience). It is not about balance or fairness, it is about your heart beating and adrenaline rushing because you think that goat was a hostile player.

• Like 1

What about going down the Red Orchestra route? In Red Orchestra 2 (a WW2 realism FPS) you cannot see your magazine count, instead you have to hold down your reload button, then your character pulls out the magazine and feels the weight of it to estimate how many bullets are left in the magazine, after which a little caption comes up on screen for a couple of seconds, saying: 'magazine is full', 'magazine is light' or 'magazine is almost empty'. The caption acts as a bridge between us and the character because we cannot be there to feel the weight of the magazine ourselves, much like in Dayz we can't see or feel how much blood we've lost. But now that I think about it, should we really be able to estimate how much blood we have lost? I can't imagine myself being able to estimate how much blood i've lost even if I could see or feel it. Especially if I had just been shot or ripped open by a zombie.

Maybe the best solution would be (and maybe this will only be possible in the standalone) to have no blood indicator at all, but when a character is shot have the blood pour out of them and stain the ground, as well as keeping the current greyed out screen after significant blood loss. At first this will take a while to get used to estimating your blood loss in this system, but experienced players will be able to accurately estimate by the amount of blood on the floor, the amount of blood pouring out of them, and the colour of the screen. Yes, in real life, it would be hard to estimate your blood loss after getting shot, mostly because you probably haven't been shot enough times to have practice at guessing that kind of thing. But as gamers who will have multiple characters who have been shot, we can experience and learn from previous lives and encounters and quickly be able to establish how much blood we would have lost, making the blood icon or debug monitor obsolete.

On to the topic of people whining about the blood going away: Let me ask you something. How do you know if you are really hungry? "Food is blinking." How do you know if you are really thirsty? "Drink is blinking." How do you know if you are really cold? "Temperature is blinking." How do you know if you are bleeding? "White cross is blinking." How do you know if you are really hurt? "It says 2000 blood :D"

See the funny thing here guys? Right off the bat, seeing our blood (exactly) makes no sense according to all the other things we have to worry about in DayZ.

Most of us here have played a fairly decent amount of time, and we know how food and drink meters work. But how many of you have honestly looked at the blood meter? Other than to check for bleeding, probably not a whole lot. I'll be honest and say I rarely if EVER look at the little drop of blood other than to see if I am hungry for a bandage. But do you REALLY need to know your exact blood level? No. And if you think about it, it makes sense. You can't tell me "oh, im 40 out of 100 thirsty right now, i'll be good until I hit 10 out of 100." The same goes for blood. You can't know "oh, I have exactly 2473.2 units of blood left. I should probably be more careful." This game is SUPPOSED to be about realism, and that is WHY there are no rules enforced on it as it is. It is a world in which its members create. Just as it would be if this disaster actually occured.

Rocket talked in his showcase of dogs (woohoo! They look useless!) How he wants to remove ALL icons except for the sight and sound ones. He said EVERYTHING else could probably be done away with. That would mean only relying on cues from your character like grumbling stomach and things like that. There is a good chance that DayZ will one day become just that. You shouldn't see this as something to whine about. You should see this as a new challenge. A way to further prove yourself and shine a new light on the gem that is DayZ. Trust me, I am a huge hater of change, but removing stats, the debug monitor, and exact blood, will be a huge step foreward for us all.

Except this is due to limitations of DayZ being a game. In reality I feel hungry (cannot be modelled by the game), followed by more obvious signs such as a stomach rumbling, lethargy and so on.

Similarly with thirst. I don't need to be dying of dehydration to realise that I need a drink. I also don't have to drink a fixed amount. I don't have to 'min-max' a bottle of pepsi because I'm not forced to drink it all. For most people, the only indicator that they need to drink that they'll ever get is that they feel thirsty, which again, cannot be modelled by the game. So how is the game accurately supposed to model something that for the most part, only manifests itself as a sense of discomfort?

Incidentally, I wouldn't know exactly how thirsty I am to the point where I could say it's 43.7/100, but I would have a pretty good idea ("about 40", "about 50" etc).

The HUD makes up for the fact that there are severe limitations in conveying stats such as temperature to the player in an organic and realistic way. If you remove them then it's almost like making every player a CIPA patient.

Removing blood levels is slightly different though because that information can be given to the player in such a way that it's both realistic, and that a HUD is not needed. The only problem is that a hit from a zombie at 9K can knock you out which players strongly want to avoid, but the difference in-game between this and perfect health is quite subtle.

Edited by Photolysis
  • Like 1

I will miss the debug monitor, it helped keeping track of blood/health and it IS very rewarding to see a 700zombie kill count (for me at least)

I like this idea, and all of the others suggested by OP. However there is one thing that I would change.

I suggest that ALL data entered into the Diary be manual. IE: if you wanted to keep track of exactly how manykills you had, zombie/bandit/goats/clowns or otherwise, you would have to write in it manually. The reason I suggest that is this...

Not everybody cares about the kills. I personally, give no beans as to how many zombie kills I have. But I would like to know how many times I murdered somebody else.

It would enable players to be a little more, attached to their characters. And roleplay a little more. Though I think if they implemented the Diary, it would have to be hotkeyed. So as to allow quick, on the fly, entries to your siary.

Just after you kill a zombie, chalk one more up in your list.

Just my two cents.