Gopher (DayZ)

1.7.3 PATCH DEBUG MONITOR TAKEN OUT-SOLUTION

I must be the only one out of all of you who knows people who are colorblind.

That's the only reason you guys can simply ignore the simple fact that subtle color changes are a bad way to convey something.

Furthermore, just because you're a bandit and don't care about zombie kills doesn't mean that there aren't those of us who do care about zombie kills.

When I get attacked by the horde, I'm not counting how many I kill - that's a distraction. One that could get me killed, especially if another player shows up during the process.

Edited by Ipurgepeople

I think the Debug view should NOT be removed.. Maybe altered though.. Remove the Zombie count.. We shouldn't be allowed to know how many zomibes are in the world.. However, we need to keep at least our Humanity, Bloodcount and Zombies and People killed at least. Realalistic.. we can count and keep track of how many zombies will killed and people we killed.

Man, its reallistic and the diary is awesome idea ,anyway, the problem is what if i am in fight and i have to quickly look on my health.. how many risks of being hitted can i take, or if i should run like hell and dont let anybody hit me.. my english isnt so good to write all problems with it correctly :D , i think the new interface should be enough

Edited by Ladas325

I think the Debug view should NOT be removed.. Maybe altered though.. Remove the Zombie count.. We shouldn't be allowed to know how many zomibes are in the world.. However, we need to keep at least our Humanity, Bloodcount and Zombies and People killed at least. Realalistic.. we can count and keep track of how many zombies will killed and people we killed.

Why do we need to know Humanity? Aside from having a skin, what difference does it make? From the actions you are performing as a player, I think youd have a good idea about whether or not your humanity is high, or low. Positive/negative.

If you are killing people...its obviously going to be lower than if you are helping them.

Instead of the subtle color changes of the meter, they should have a "full to empty" gauge for each icon. Colorblindness affects a huge number of people, and having that meter go from green to red isn't doing anybody any favors, especially people who are red and green colorblind. A simple gauge for each icon showing full to empty would be better.

Also, death to the debug monitor.

• Like 1

Instead of the subtle color changes of the meter, they should have a "full to empty" gauge for each icon. Colorblindness affects a huge number of people, and having that meter go from green to red isn't doing anybody any favors, especially people who are red and green colorblind. A simple gauge for each icon showing full to empty would be better.

Also, death to the debug monitor.

Thank you, someone who finally understands. I have two buddies who are affected by colorblindness. One can ONLY see hues of blue, and the other can technically see every color, but his brain confuses them and they bleed together, so a bright green and a dull yellow would look the same to him. Similarly with red/orange/brown, blue/purple, etc. I think you get my point.

If they did such a change, those two wouldn't play anymore, and there's two of my squad gone, leaving only two of us left. Those who are colorblind, and those who play with those who are colorblind would be severely gimped, or simply be forced to quit, due to the incapability of being able to understand your stats at all.

Edited by Ipurgepeople

Why do we need to know Humanity? Aside from having a skin, what difference does it make? From the actions you are performing as a player, I think youd have a good idea about whether or not your humanity is high, or low. Positive/negative.

If you are killing people...its obviously going to be lower than if you are helping them.

Fair point and I can agree on that.. But they should keep Bloodlevel, Zombie&Player Kill Count still on screen.

My only worry with no more debug is blood. The 'color of the droplet' is a godaweful way of measuring that. I think in addition to changing color, it should lower/fill based on your health. At 50%? The droplet is half full with mid-red blood. Alive and good? The droplet is full of green. Etc.

• Like 1

Fair point and I can agree on that.. But they should keep Bloodlevel, Zombie&Player Kill Count still on screen.

To this I say, why? Unless you were ACTIVELY making markings about every single kill you made, would you really remember EXACTLY how many kills you had? Im sure you could ball-park it, and get a relatively close answdr. I personally find it distracting o my screen. Anytime I swe the.number change, I end up looking at the screen because it looks like movement.

I think that it should be recorded, if you choose to record it yourself, and that it should only be viewable in your diary. That is what I think comes close enough to realism, without ruining the "game" feeling.

My only worry with no more debug is blood. The 'color of the droplet' is a godaweful way of measuring that. I think in addition to changing color, it should lower/fill based on your health. At 50%? The droplet is half full with mid-red blood. Alive and good? The droplet is full of green. Etc.

Now THAT is a colorblind-friendly alternative that I can get behind. That would ease my concerns. In fact, if they did that with all the icons, that'd be awesome.

To this I say, why? Unless you were ACTIVELY making markings about every single kill you made, would you really remember EXACTLY how many kills you had? Im sure you could ball-park it, and get a relatively close answdr. I personally find it distracting o my screen. Anytime I swe the.number change, I end up looking at the screen because it looks like movement.

I think that it should be recorded, if you choose to record it yourself, and that it should only be viewable in your diary. That is what I think comes close enough to realism, without ruining the "game" feeling.

Again. This would work fine with players, but not so well when 30 zombies come busting in the door, and your only concern is headshotting as many as you can before you have to just spray and pray and run for the hills.

I can count them when I'm picking them off one at a time, but once I start spraying, and 2-10 drop at a time, I can't count that while I'm looking for an escape route, judging my chances, guessing where they're going to come from, and planning my exact route. The fact is, it is a game. It's not real life. In a game, certain goals are made. My goal is to kill as many zombies as I can in a life. My current record is around 227, I believe, thanks to a hacker.

Edited by Ipurgepeople

Yes. This is great. It would allow people who are affected by colourblindness to see the relative "fullness" of a statistic. Might as well do the same with Food/Drink/Temperature while we are at it.

@OP:

Diaries, Yes.

Notes: Yes.

Stats: No.

Blood: No.

First off, i'll state my opinion: I am sad to see the debug monitor go away. It is going to be a whole new challenge to learn to play without it, and I personally like my zombie kill count.

That aside, it is a GREAT thing that they are taking away the debug monitor. You want stats? Go play CoD. This game is NOT intended to be about how many bandit kills you have, how many murders you have, or how many zombies you've killed. You want to know those? Remember them (or press I for zombies because I still believe that will work.) This game is about SURVIVAL, and the only thing that has to do with the debug monitor is blood, which i'll get to in a minute.

Removing the debug monitor will help people to stop looking at a noob as a "1" next to their murders, and start seeing them more like another player and human being. As long as the debug monitor is present, people will still view others as not only threats or companions (as it should be), but as stats themselves. What could be a devastating long survival death to you could just be a tick up on the murder meter for a bandit on sniper hill. Now am I saying killing people for sport will go away? No. People are dicks and they will always be dicks, that can't be helped. But it will help the amount of times it happens go down.

On to the topic of people whining about the blood going away: Let me ask you something. How do you know if you are really hungry? "Food is blinking." How do you know if you are really thirsty? "Drink is blinking." How do you know if you are really cold? "Temperature is blinking." How do you know if you are bleeding? "White cross is blinking." How do you know if you are really hurt? "It says 2000 blood :D"

See the funny thing here guys? Right off the bat, seeing our blood (exactly) makes no sense according to all the other things we have to worry about in DayZ.

Most of us here have played a fairly decent amount of time, and we know how food and drink meters work. But how many of you have honestly looked at the blood meter? Other than to check for bleeding, probably not a whole lot. I'll be honest and say I rarely if EVER look at the little drop of blood other than to see if I am hungry for a bandage. But do you REALLY need to know your exact blood level? No. And if you think about it, it makes sense. You can't tell me "oh, im 40 out of 100 thirsty right now, i'll be good until I hit 10 out of 100." The same goes for blood. You can't know "oh, I have exactly 2473.2 units of blood left. I should probably be more careful." This game is SUPPOSED to be about realism, and that is WHY there are no rules enforced on it as it is. It is a world in which its members create. Just as it would be if this disaster actually occured.

Rocket talked in his showcase of dogs (woohoo! They look useless!) How he wants to remove ALL icons except for the sight and sound ones. He said EVERYTHING else could probably be done away with. That would mean only relying on cues from your character like grumbling stomach and things like that. There is a good chance that DayZ will one day become just that. You shouldn't see this as something to whine about. You should see this as a new challenge. A way to further prove yourself and shine a new light on the gem that is DayZ. Trust me, I am a huge hater of change, but removing stats, the debug monitor, and exact blood, will be a huge step foreward for us all.

I actually agree with alot of what you're saying. I guess keeping track of kills and zombies could lead away from the "survival" part of the game. With the diaries and notes; since average kills I get per life would be around 3, I could just personally keep it written down in the notes. And about the blood part, you got that nailed, I don't know who could've explained it better. But adding a small item to show your blood count wouldn't do any harm since some people are just "those" kind of people who want to know all their stats.

And anyways, the debug monitor is ugly. I want it out :>

To everyone complaining about, "Oh no, I can't see my ammo count, I don't know my blood, I need to know everything to survive! Those games that did that did bad, that means DayZ is going to be bad!"

No, just, no. That's like taking two games that are really not that much alike, and taking the smallest detail, and saying one is bad because of it.

The reasons why "those" games sucked that had no indication of blood, magazine, e.t.c was because the "gameplay" sucked.

I've played enough vanilla Arma, and ACE, to realize that it has no bad effect on the game itself. It actually plays alot better and makes it more fun.

Then if you add the realism of ACE, where you dont know your magazine count, just reload every time you think you have low ammo. It's not that hard to mentally keep mind in those things. Taking away the debug isn't going to ruin the mod at all since it's just a small feature that the devs have placed in. And come on, do you really think that the devs are going to place the big square debug monitor in the stand alone? I doubt it. Some of you are acting like it's the end of the world and the mod is going to suck since the devs take it out. Well it's not the end of the world and the game would not possibly suck at all if it were taken out. Knowingly because the gameplay is still the same, it's still DayZ in the core. (Well there's still hackers, noob snipers, annoying campers, server hoppers/ghosters. But let's ignore that for now) B)

Now THAT is a colorblind-friendly alternative that I can get behind. That would ease my concerns. In fact, if they did that with all the icons, that'd be awesome.

Again. This would work fine with players, but not so well when 30 zombies come busting in the door, and your only concern is headshotting as many as you can before you have to just spray and pray and run for the hills.

I can count them when I'm picking them off one at a time, but once I start spraying, and 2-10 drop at a time, I can't count that while I'm looking for an escape route, judging my chances, guessing where they're going to come from, and planning my exact route. The fact is, it is a game. It's not real life. In a game, certain goals are made. My goal is to kill as many zombies as I can in a life. My current record is around 227, I believe, thanks to a hacker.

Oh, god. Your goal is about killing zombies? I thought this game is about survival. I set my goal to live the longest that I can and help other players when they need help. And I'm not trying to be a bragging, idiot, toolbag, hype beast, queer. But my record is around 550, without trying to get my kill count as high is it can be.

If you really cared about your zombie count, you would keep track of it yourself. This isn't "zombie shooter simulator 2012." Only things that are necessary to survive should show up as icons on your screen. Period.

Blood, thirst, hunger, temperature. (Maybe humanity. Maybe.)