Sign in to follow this  
harley001

Make Dayz Scary Again.

Well dayz has lost its fear factor. For a noob who joined a server at night for the first time it scared the crude out of me because i could hear zombies but not see them. As a none noob running around with a m4a1 I fear only the sniper in the woods. Now i have heard story's of people having odd men in guile suits stalk them when they are the only ones on servers. If you really want to scare people then you need to do things they don't know about. Add little things without telling us. Like have a pile of dead body's spawn on a server and when the player goes to loot them it gets foggy and a shadow can be seen in the distance.

Surprise us. Wouldn't you be scared out of you're mind if something odd started happening and you had no clue what it is. Dayz would be given a certain fear factor. Players would need to look out for things that they wouldn't know about. If it says in the patch notes "added Slenderman to game" no one is going to be surprised. They are going to looking for a dark figure watching them since they saw him in the patch notes. Will he scare people. Yes but only for the first few times. *well maybe not. He is Slenderman after all. But putting him in the game would be silly*

Put you're suggestions in here. If you got a way to improve this ideal or a suggestion on how to do it. SAY IT. Also, please be civil. Calling someone a idiot because they disagree with you shows much stupidity.

Edited by harley001
  • Like 10

I still think the rare encounter with a player is pretty suspenseful for me. Nothing gets your blood pumping when you've been alone for days and you get that speck of a glimpse of a person half a kilometer away. You never know if you should turn around and run the opposite way, shoot him on sight, or try to make contact.

On the subject of zombies, they will be more of a hassle when the animations are tweaked and they can run indoors.

• Like 1

I understand your point completely. I think adding ghosts on rare occasions would be great... or possibly bigfoot or Slenderman with a 1% chance of appearing in any set of woods. Most of my fear has gone to bandits now so having something different would be nice.

Edited by HazardousJJ

I understand your point completely. I think adding ghosts on rare occasions would be great... or possibly bigfoot or Slenderman with a 1% chance of appearing in any set of woods. Most of my fear has gone to bandits now so having something different would be nice.

I was just joking with slenderman. Big foot would be funny though.

• Like 1

I'm not sure, but this game isn't a horror game.. It's not really meant to scare the crap out of you. It's a realistic survival game in a zombie apocalypse. Zombies will be more difficult to deal with in the stand alone and I'm not sure about you but whenever I encounter another player my heartbeat races, it will always be thrilling for me.

If you want scary/horror, go play a horror game.

I'm not sure, but this game isn't a horror game.. It's not really meant to scare the crap out of you. It's a realistic survival game in a zombie apocalypse. Zombies will be more difficult to deal with in the stand alone and I'm not sure about you but whenever I encounter another player my heartbeat races, it will always be thrilling for me.

You have no clue what I am saying. I am saying in dayz there is no unknown threat. No unexpected. All players are prepared for zombies and other players. Also I am not asking him to try to scare us. I want him to add some cool stuff instead of the boring current game. Nothing new every happens.

What part of apocalyptic zombie survival game isn't horror?

• Like 1

It's an Alpha.. You can't expect a 100% brilliant game with heaps of new and exciting things going on. You're here to test the game.

You do realise they're working on the stand alone right? While they said they will keep updates coming on the Alpha, they're not going to be introducing many big new things into the game. Stand alone will have heaps of new things, stuff to be on the lookout for (Wild animals I believe was one of the things).

Rocket has said that there are limitations to the Arma II engine and that changing how zombies work and implementing new things into the game is extremely difficult and impossible in some situations.

While I can see how some people may think a apocalyptic zombie survival game should be horror (who knows, it could be in the standalone), it's pretty hard to make zombies more threatening at the moment.

It's an Alpha.. You can't expect a 100% brilliant game with heaps of new and exciting things going on. You're here to test the game.

You do realise they're working on the stand alone right? While they said they will keep updates coming on the Alpha, they're not going to be introducing many big new things into the game. Stand alone will have heaps of new things, stuff to be on the lookout for (Wild animals I believe was one of the things).

Rocket has said that there are limitations to the Arma II engine and that changing how zombies work and implementing new things into the game is extremely difficult and impossible in some situations.

While I can see how some people may think a apocalyptic zombie survival game should be horror (who knows, it could be in the standalone), it's pretty hard to make zombies more threatening at the moment.

You act like I don't know that? THIS IS SUGGESTIONS! I AM SUGGESTING THINGS! Suggestions don't mean "this is what i want and i want now". I would rather have him fix bugs currently. Basically you pulled the biggest excuse known to man for dayz suggestions which is "it be dah alpha" that would apply if someone was whining about bugs. But this is a suggestion for when the game is in standalone or out of alpha. I am sorry but I am sick of people saying "this is stupid" for no reason. Also a "horror" is any game that is bloody, violent, or scary. Dayz is bloody and violent so its a horror game.

Edited by harley001

Hes right, this is a horror game. From the other thread, your a dedicated sniper. You play pvp with laser sticks. The mod was meant for role playing as well. He wants more for non-pvp gamers to do/see. Is that a problem? Lemme answer since i know the answer: NO!

Make zombification real. Imagine it - wanderimg the woods, looking for a Heli spawn that your friend found shortly before he was killed... you arrive, alone, confident but cloaked in night. Aa you approach, silent and close to the soil, your NVGs betraying the positions of every undead as ypu crawl slowly into the cockpit and pilfer its contents. But something is wrong. Someone is running and you can hear their wet, choked panting drawing so close so fast - as you turn arms dart over your line of sight; bloodied, half eaten hands zeize you by the throat and as you swing to blast the zed with your weapon your heart stops. Eyes chewed from tbeir sockets, jaw lolling into his torn wide throat, the screaming visage of your friend breaks your courage as gore and filth hurl from its face onto yoours while your esophagus creaks from the force of his stabbing and strangling hands...

• Like 2

I really hope that they amp up the level of disturbing realism to the game. it is the realism that makes this game frightening. instead of ghosts and the unexplained supeenatural, enhancr sound design. Explore the true horror of reanimated corpses and the cerebral decay of the dead. How chilling would it be to see a little boy running at you, its only whole arm outstretched at you as he tries to speak but no longer has the intwlligence. All that's left is a fading conception of speech, trying to say the last word he wanted to say beforw death "Duhduhduhduhduhduhduh!!!!!"

"DAD! DAD! DAD! DAD!"

To give zombies a ghostly shell of what made them human, betond thwir human body, is what rocketed Zombies into thr annals or Horror History in the first place

• Like 1

Not to burst your bubble but these are 'infected' not the undead... sadly.

@topic:

Anything added will only be scary for so long and I don't think you can just keep adding weird stuff to creep people out. Also this game is supposedly about survival, not horror.

There should be a rare special infected zombie on the server. Not necessarily that unrealistic boss like resident evil zombie, but something out of the ordinary. Something that has youfearing for your life yet you're unsure what you're even running from because you're afraid you'll die if you even try to get a good look at it. Whether it's deep within the woods that you have a rare chance to encounter or only comes out at night we should not know what it is. It should be much deadlier than your average zombie and it could maybe be changed periodically by rocket and the designers. It wouldn't take much work to put out new patches every couple of weeks or so with a new looking special infected. Even mistakenly running into a mob of zombies you arent expecting would scare you.

I don't know about you but as much as I want to survive in the game, I wouldn't mind meeting up with a few friends in the middle of the night and trying to find this new special infected they put in. Go on a little hunting trip not knowing exactly what you're looking for but knowing it's out there and putting your life on the line. And getting that "oh shit feeling what is that" when you see it. And if its the middle of the night and you can hardly even see it. even better.

I think even putting a bear and other deadly animals in the game would scare the crap out of you. the thing you have to do it make it completely random and make you wonder if you're going to live passed it. That's what needs to be achieved. That is exactly the feeling people talk about when they encounter players. You have no idea how it's going to turn out. Currently zombies don't exhibit that same threat.

I definitely wish Rocket would go with the undead zombie. It has so much more depth and room for creativity with features.

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 2

I really hope that they amp up the level of disturbing realism to the game. it is the realism that makes this game frightening. instead of ghosts and the unexplained supeenatural, enhancr sound design. Explore the true horror of reanimated corpses and the cerebral decay of the dead. How chilling would it be to see a little boy running at you, its only whole arm outstretched at you as he tries to speak but no longer has the intwlligence. All that's left is a fading conception of speech, trying to say the last word he wanted to say beforw death "Duhduhduhduhduhduhduh!!!!!"

"DAD! DAD! DAD! DAD!"

Coincidentally, I was running around the woods at dusk last night and got a bit creeped out. I logged off to get ready for

bed, and swivelled around in my chair. My 18 month year old boy was standing behind me, just staring at me as if ready

to pounce, in the bluish glow of the street lamp coming through the window. It was like something out of the film REC.

The little tyke had climbed out of bed, and I've no idea how long he'd been standing there watching.

It scared the living hell out of me!

• Like 2

yes yes ! exactly what i want to ! i want 2 see strange situations and or events / rare circumstances that are surreal and bizzare in this game. I was thinking possibly say a very rare ghost sitation that spawns in a town when there is only 1 player in the town but anymore than 1 player and it wont spawn. I more so mean this only "1 player trigger" so that they will tell the stories to freinds and they wont beleive them.. :D

I can't agree more with this. The game is already a horror show in a Steven King sort of way: People murdering each other despite an abundance of canned and animal food....

Would love to see some scary, weird shit, ominous, unexplained sounds in the distance, black helicopters flying off in the distance or using spot lights at night looking for something (would have to be unkillable which isn't realistic, but hey, if you shoot like an unimmersed asshole, prepare to pay the price of being reminded the helicopter isn't a real entity).

I'd love to see a Stalker map with Chernobyl at one end of it with all sorts of well made creatures in the middle.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and more importantly the iconic film that Andrei Tarkovsky made which inspired the games creation, are two of my most favorite pieces of media ever created.

Whether the zombies or undead or infected, I think that it has boundless potential to frighten anyone who is human. George Romero's approach was timeless and classic. Imagine enterign a home, scavenging, when you see a person in the bathroom... an infected, staring at themselves in the mirror, clawing at their face to the point that they are bleeding or have caused themselves bodily harm, tears running down their face as they intone "Nuh, nuh, nuh..." over and over, knowing in some capacity that they are beyond saving but being terrified by it all the same. Then you take the next step to get a better look (as you cannot quite see who it is and perhaps their clothes are eerily similar to a players...) and they see you at the same time, and the homicidal, rabid rage or paranoia that has made them insane drives tghem to charge you into a wall...

Or you enter a vehicle, windows tinted, and as you open the door you find an infected paying at the steering wheel, drooling on the broken corpse that has been jammed beneath their feet...

Or you trying swimming to an island, and up from the waves come hands flailing in the water, trying to swim. A drowning player, or an infected trying to swim... you won't know unless you try to save them, for a boon of humanity, or a watery grave...

Or an infected wandering the streets of Cherno at night, a flashlight in their hand, beam sweeping back and forth looking for things they cannot see.

By blurring that line, the interaction between Survivors, Bandits abd Zed alike deepens and grows all the more disturbing.

• Like 1

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and more importantly the iconic film that Andrei Tarkovsky made which inspired the games creation, are two of my most favorite pieces of media ever created.

Whether the zombies or undead or infected, I think that it has boundless potential to frighten anyone who is human. George Romero's approach was timeless and classic. Imagine enterign a home, scavenging, when you see a person in the bathroom... an infected, staring at themselves in the mirror, clawing at their face to the point that they are bleeding or have caused themselves bodily harm, tears running down their face as they intone "Nuh, nuh, nuh..." over and over, knowing in some capacity that they are beyond saving but being terrified by it all the same. Then you take the next step to get a better look (as you cannot quite see who it is and perhaps their clothes are eerily similar to a players...) and they see you at the same time, and the homicidal, rabid rage or paranoia that has made them insane drives tghem to charge you into a wall...

Or you enter a vehicle, windows tinted, and as you open the door you find an infected paying at the steering wheel, drooling on the broken corpse that has been jammed beneath their feet...

Or you trying swimming to an island, and up from the waves come hands flailing in the water, trying to swim. A drowning player, or an infected trying to swim... you won't know unless you try to save them, for a boon of humanity, or a watery grave...

Or an infected wandering the streets of Cherno at night, a flashlight in their hand, beam sweeping back and forth looking for things they cannot see.

By blurring that line, the interaction between Survivors, Bandits abd Zed alike deepens and grows all the more disturbing.

I played stalker. Awesome game. Kinda like dayz. The bandits are just like dayz players!

I played stalker. Awesome game. Kinda like dayz. The bandits are just like dayz players!

Nah... STALKER bandits had much more personality and charm. At least they could play the guitar sometimes ;p

• Like 1

Someone actually started a topic asking slender to be put in dayz shortly after this...

Rocket should add this in stand alone not in aplha. He should just be fixing bugs currently.