Dayzo

how to get geared up in an hour?

Heres one for you... I did this in the dark, no compass, or map.

I spawned in Kamyshovo

I ran to Stary via Pusta, Mogilevka, Vyshnoye

Along the way i found a bike (lucky me)

Picked up a double-barrel, a Hatchet and a pepsi along the way

Once i got to Stary, i hit the barracks and got an MP5SD

Then i went to the Store, picked up Binoculars, Czech Pack, Map, Watch, M1911, Bandages, Painkillers, Beans and more Pepsi also a Water Bottle

Just need to find some Matches and a Compass

All within an hour.

Now what to do?

Currently I have a huge laundry list of camp sites that I can hit up. We find them while navigating through the woods.

If you have never played OFP/Arma/Arma II, then play some of the training missions. Familiarize yourself with the interfaces, the controls, and customize them as needed. This is not like running around in a normal first person shooter.

I only really died to a player or zombie once, but I've been warped to the beach without gear several times, and also been killed on log-in several times.

First item I need is an Axe. With a basic amount of practice it's a great zombie killing weapon.

If I spawn near a grocery store, I'll hit it up and grab a pack, and nav/survival supplies available, and some food and drink. Otherwise, I'll pick these up at some barns/farms on the way.

If I'm close enough, I'll just go straight to the camps.

AVOID THE CITIES. If you're spending 3 hours in the city, then I have no idea what you're doing there. I've never spent more than 10-15 minutes in one and leave with an ALICE pack full of goodies. Once you have enough supplies to make it to the smaller outlying towns and farms, get the hell out of Cherno. Running around through the city blindly is full of fail.

You need to learn how to navigate with a map and compass (for real) so you can find water and so you don't blunder into things. I don't mean, "oh hey, X city is north of me, I'll walk north..." - I mean, "I'm walking at a bearing of 075 for 6 km until I hit the road between these towns, then walking 220 until the power lines, then turning on a bearing of 040.... ". Have a plan and know exactly where you're going. Stay off the roads, stay as deep in the woods as you can. (if you're not doing this, this is probably why you find no tents).

Once you have enough stuff to live off the land - knife, axe, canteens, matches, compass - you can pursue other activities like looking for player camps. Note the coordinates and servers the camps are on

If you have a solid weapon from a deer stand or camp (say, an assault rifle and a couple of mags), then you really don't need to go running off to the airfield to get killed by organized groups of players. What the hell do you need high end weapons for? If you run around getting into gunfights by yourself, you're asking for a ticket back to the beach.

Edited by Just a Goat
  • Like 1

> Are you saying you're 40 hours in the game, and you're still scared of zombies?

I play alone, so without anyone to apply bloodbags the injuries quickly add-up unless

you have a hatchet, matches and hunting knife to eat cooked meat. And the knife is

really hard to find (or maybe I've just been extremely unlucky).

Nearly all of those 40 hours have been out in the forests, looking for deer stands,

tents, bikes and crash sites, so I'm not sure of city tactics at all. Seems to me like

it would be very difficult not to get injured if you didn't prone through the city!?

Is there a video tutorial of someone running through the city, showing how to lose the

zombies and avoid being injured?

hmm

Keep moving, don't piss about and loot only what you need and get the hell out.

Sort your gear in safety.

Use walls, buildings to drop aggro. An infected with his back to you is less of a risk so wait if you need to.

Shoot only if your life is threatened (noise is not your friend)

Stop and listen in safe spots. Be wary about running around in buildings.

If your finding lots of beans eat them (unless your worried about noise). Any blood is good and beans will help replace any you've lost in zombie hits.

You can learn a lot by just listening. So stop somewhere safe occasionally, check your six and listen. is anyone upstairs?

Zeds aggroing, shots fired near you, good reasons to move elsewhere.

If you can see the hills, the hills can see you. Don't just sit there admiring the scenery.

Sacrifice yourself a few times learning to surviving getting in, through and out of a city.

Thanks again for the replies and offers of assistance.

If you're spending 3 hours in the city, then I have no idea what you're doing there.

I've never spent more than 10-15 minutes in one and leave with an ALICE pack full of goodies.

Sacrifice yourself a few times learning to surviving getting in, through and out of a city.

This is obviously what I'm doing wrong. I'll need to practise losing and de-aggravating zombies.

However, I did try this tactic at Balota last night and got killed straight away - one single zombie strike took

me from 9,000 to 6000 blood, I went unconscious, and they finished me off. I spawned again and went

back to get my gear from the body - stayed prone this time!

This is obviously what I'm doing wrong. I'll need to practise losing and de-aggravating zombies.

However, I did try this tactic at Balota last night and got killed straight away - one single zombie strike took

me from 9,000 to 6000 blood, I went unconscious, and they finished me off. I spawned again and went

That's why it's important to be aware of as much as possible when in danger zones. Know where every zed is and what direction they're facing. You can tell when they're going to attack by the sounds they make usually. If you're being chased and there is is a zed ahead, weave around him, all it takes is one swipe. For now, use 3rd person to peek around corners before you actually go around them so you don't bump into a zed. And just remember, if you have 50 of the chasing you, as long as your standing and don't stop moving, they can't hurt you.

Edited by HerrJon

Your sig has just made me realise I missed out on looting a whole building yesterday... Barbed wire all at the bottom of this stair case in this building, couldn't get around it so I thought it was just there by design and you can't go up the stairs <_<

I have a text document I've been updating whenever I find a blocked location like that. I note what building/city/server it's on, and I log out in that location on another server, and log in behind the wire.

There's usually some good stuff in there, since no one has looted it.

Also, if you're in Elektro or Cherno, and you hear flies, and stumble around the corner and see a dead player with a nice rifle, don't even bother looting.

It's just bait. The guy on the hill will wait until you're standing still to loot, then take his shot... it's much easier than hitting a running target.

I only made that mistake about 4x before I learned mah lesson.

:huh:

Edited by codave

Prone has its place but your pretty vulnerable. You want to be prone well before any risk of being seen . Rather than go prone afterward and praying.

Some of the infected have bloody good eyesight and will come from anywhere with much enthusiasm.

You can break line of sight and go prone behind a wall that works. The more corners you can turn without stirring up more natives the better.

Just be ready to run and remember how long it takes to actually do so from the prone position.

Hello OP!

I mostly play alone but I never get my gear in citys. I just don't like them I prefer fighting the enemy over some distance. I mostly move from the South-West up to the North-West Airfield and give every Deerstand a visit. Then roam for tents in the woods at the edge of the maps you might find some useful stuff, they almost always contain Morphine and that stuff. If your server is not too filled with players you should give the Airfield a visit, as you probably already know there are 2 baracks which spawn very rare loot, like SVD's and MK48's.

Happy hunting.

Just a BTW, one zombie strike always does within the realm of 300 blood, I'm guessing what happened here was that you started bleeding from it and didnt notice. Also, be aware of the blood thresholds: Below 9000 blood, zombie hits have a chance to knock you out, below 6000, you have a chance of randomly passing out at any time.

Anyway, a few zombie-losing tips.

1) crouch running is fast enough to avoid zombie hits unless you try to run straight past one. Zombies need to stop running and pause for a short moment before doing their attack animation, so crouch running is useful to avoid the zombies that are chasing you without aggroing ones that havent seen you yet. If you are surrounded or zombies have you cornered, however, double tap "W" for a full sprint, and you can run right through a horde of them.

2) The zombie AI in this game is actually pretty realistic, so zombies cannot follow you as soon as they cant see you. When a zombie chasing you loses sight of you, it will run at the last place it saw you and a little more in the direction you were going before slowing down and looking around. Because of this, 2 corners or bushes are all you need to permanently lose a zombie, since you can run around one, making the zombie lose sight, then around the other, so the zombie will not be able to see you after it reaches the point it last saw you at. This means that you can run circles around a bush, large tree or a building to lose zombies in hilarious fashion, as long as you keep the zombie out of LoS. This is less useful with hordes, as they spread out while running and so chances are you will round the second cover and bump into a zombie, but it will still lose about 70-80% of the horde chasing you.

3) no matter how many are chasing you, running through a building will lose every single one of them. *Make sure the building you are running into has another way out* There arent many different buildings in the game so you will soon learn which ones have 2 entrances and which ones are death traps.

4) if a zombie follows you into a building you want to loot, you need to loot fast. Zombies act strangely in buildings, glitching through the walls and the floor, and its very easy to get hit by a zombie you cant see because its inside the walls. They still move slowly though, so keep moving, loot fast, and get out.

It's funny how 90% of the people posting here are missing the point entirely.

OP is not asking how to avoid zeds, or asking how to loot Elektro, or asking for your fucking stories either. He asked how to GEAR UP IN LESS THAN AN HOUR.

Answer is GO WEST, GO NORTH, FIND TENTS, PROFIT.

It's funny how 90% of the people posting here are missing the point entirely.

OP is not asking how to avoid zeds, or asking how to loot Elektro, or asking for your fucking stories either. He asked how to GEAR UP IN LESS THAN AN HOUR.

Answer is GO WEST, GO NORTH, FIND TENTS, PROFIT.

Yeah people love to post nonsense shit like "avoid big cities", etc. Big cities are THE place where to gear up in 30 minutes. If you go west then north then search for the tents in the woods then it may take you few hours to actually find something. Killing campers around big cities is the fastes way to get geared up. Sometimes you even don't need to kill anyone - the body already there waiting for you to loot it. Yes, it might be a trap but might be not.

If you spawn in a crap area don't be a pussy and kill yourself, try to find a hatchet and farm the zeds. I find killing zeds is the fastest way to find food in the crappy villages out in the sticks. If there's a building you can enter, pull them in and whack them one by one. If not, us a night server and sneak up behind them. You are more likely to find tins of food on them then in low level drop points and zeds also respawn. Check the loot piles tho. I've found Alice packs and map etc in sheds and outhouses all the time. Learn where the loot spawns are on non-enterable buildings and you often find goodies others have walked by.

> Sprint carefree through the city, stealth approaches aren't worth the time if you've got nothing to lose.

So do all you guys mean you literally run through Cherno with fifty zombies chasing you?

Even if you don't have a hatchet yet?

Do any of you go on night servers to gear up?

I try to catch dawn/dusk, but the server always has the time wrong.

Gamma, brightness and hdr can be your friends.