Sula

Credit to those who play without a microphone

It amazes me how well people manage to play dayz without a TrackIR. It's such a convenient bit of equipment that you quickly get used to.

Looking back to when I wasn't using one, I realised it takes more time to continually glance around and re-aim your weapon, rather than being able to instantly glance without moving your gun. Same is true of all the alt+mouse alternative (which disables your aiming altogether while glancing around).

I think all credit to those still using the mouse for peripheral vision because it's definitely more challenging. :thumbsup: :beans:

Azrael, meta-gaming is using anything in our world, such as the abort button, or the Alt-F4 key on your keyboard, and by the same logic/reason, the microphone, to change reality in the dayz world. That's the point I was putting forward. It isn't my view, it's the one put forward by many people.

I don't agree with whoever theoretically said that the microphone is meta-gaming. I understand that a microphone is in "our world" and therefore not in the DayZ world, but if you wanted to make that argument you could say the mouse isn't in the DayZ world so why should we be able to use it? I find it very hard to argue that talking to people changes the reality of DayZ. It's reality, and you may or may not know this but you can actually talk to people in real life.

Now if you could talk to every DayZ player without use of a microphone or text chat then that might change my opinion.

• Like 1

No Dutch, I am pointing out that, to say "It is cheating to use anything outside of the dayz universe to your advantage against other players", must include microphones if it includes software and hardware use such as alt-f4, or hacked items for example. Because microphones are an item that is "outside of the dayz universe". So the point I am trying to make is that the argument that was given to me - that it is cheating to use anything outside the dayz universe to your advantage in dayz - is wrong because that would make using a microphone cheating! That doesn't make sense, so the argument, the logic behind it, must be flawed. :thumbsup:

I have seen so many players use arguments about what is and isn't cheating, when actually, they don't understand the logic or tennet behind that argument. They're just regurgitating what they've heard. It's like people who keep saying "it's a sandbox game..." but really, they've no idea what it means.

Edited by Sula

I thought a sandbox game means we get a free bucket and spade. It's the only reason I bought Arma.

• Like 1

No Dutch, I am pointing out that, to say "It is cheating to use anything outside of the dayz universe to your advantage against other players", must include microphones if it includes software and hardware use such as alt-f4, or hacked items for example. Because microphones are an item that is "outside of the dayz universe". So the point I am trying to make is that the argument that was given to me - that it is cheating to use anything outside the dayz universe to your advantage in dayz - is wrong because that would make using a microphone cheating! That doesn't make sense, so the argument, the logic behind it, must be flawed. :thumbsup:

You are bad and wrong.

Your character's mouth (which is what the microphone peripheral controls) is in the DayZ universe. Just like how your gun (which is what the mouse peripheral controls) is....

How can you compare the game's supported input devices / character abilities to non-official game modifications that the game attempts to block (hacks) and abuses of the rules which the developers themselves have said that they consider to be an exploit (alt+f4)?

Edited by ActionMan

If using a microphone is meta-gaming then so is using your mouse or keyboard...

• Like 1

You are bad and wrong.

Your character's mouth (which is what the microphone peripheral controls) is in the DayZ universe. Just like how your gun (which is what the mouse peripheral controls) is....

How can you compare the game's supported input devices / character abilities to non-official game modifications that the game attempts to block (hacks) and abuses of the rules which the developers themselves have said that they consider to be an exploit (alt+f4)?

I think we need to find someone that is actually trying to argue this point.

Sula is pointing out that somebody (I have no idea who) does believe that.

I don't have a mic' (yet) because I am solo, when I team up i'll buy one, but not untill then.

I don't even know the key you press to text chat in game, lol

all you do i press the ? mark button then youll see group communication at left hand corner of screen so u should go to direct chat with the up and down arrow keys

all you do i press the ? mark button then youll see group communication at left hand corner of screen so u should go to direct chat with the up and down arrow keys

A quicker way to change chat channels is press the comma button.

Pro tip of the day :lol:

frien...

edit: I ran into a guy today who just responded by violently shaking his mouse up and down or left to right when asked a question.

That is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard on this game.

• Like 1

I seriously cannot think of any reason at all for not using a mic. Seriously not. Except being to lazy to install one.

think a bit more, chum.

A deaf person cannot play games like dayz in the first place, because it basically relies on hearing stuff. There are no subtitles for the hearing impaired anyways.

really? sure? Also. are all hard of hearing folk 100pc impaired?

If you have no headset, just buy one, $20 will buy a decent enough piece. If you don't have that money, well...screw you, why would you be complaining? Complain about the lack of money then, I'd say!

Those with financial difficulties may not want to advertise the fact they are having a hard time.

Companies go into liquidation all the time. There's a global economic crisis happening at the moment btw.

If your PC just has not enough USB-ports...well, it may be a piece of shit you shouldn't have bought! I have 8 of them, using 6 constantly, leaving one to plug in the charger for my wireless mouse sometimes and the other for sticks or external.

Glad you've got a decent rig.

If someone is too dumb to install the microphone, chances are he knows who could do it for him, you know, there are a few tech-impaired ones on the net, too! Help them guys!

True, we should assist those in need.

(edit: a friend of mine got a headset from me because he was annoyingly stating he can't join our TS without a working one...took him 6 months to actually instal it. Lazy guy...also, in a 4-player setting, the only one isolated from the rest...(we played other games, though, not dayZ) )

Generous of you, any reason you didn't help him install it?

Playing this without a mic is not an option for me. Although banning people who don't have a mic from your clan seems harsh!

I too, would love to play with a mic. My circumstances don't make it feaseable. Please remember other folk have entirely different existences from you.

Good job on helping your mate out though.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

MZLY, exactly! Crazy! Also, looking at your screen is cheating, and aborting to go to sleep is just an attempt to avoid being sniped - immediate ban! ;)

Actionman, I hope for your sake that English is not your first language, dude.

Dutch I know who told me these things. I'm just not wanting to start a war by naming names. And I'm pointing out too how it's just a matter of opinion and perspective unless it is posted on the forums saying "Rules of Play" and it states clearly "The following are deemed "cheating" and doing them will result in your ban". Otherwise, it's not cheating.

I'd say lying on a hill sniping people as they spawn is cheating. Rocket didn't call it cheating but he disliked it and acted immediately he knew it was happening. That's why he took away the gun at spawn and why spawns are random. He said that in an interview.

Fraggle - I'll have pink ones please!

Edited by Sula

Pink ones? errrrrrrrr.... Oh bucket and spade! Soz, I was daydreaming...

people should have a mic if theyre planning to play dayz for more than a couple hours. a microphone could mean the difference between life and death, losing a comrade to a gunshot and not knowing his location, right down to a can of beans while your starving before they despawn. If you cannot afford your hobby(a whole 10$ investment) than i dont think you should be playing =\

Wow, there's some real microphone Nazi's in here. I always play with a mic but people saying don't bother to play without one need to understand not everyone can. Sometimes my brother plays for example, but he's got a baby so doesn't want to make much noise in the evenings, also, his missus is trying to chill out after a long day at work. Him shouting "Friendly!" every 5 mins will be a sure-fire way to piss the whole household off.

• Like 1

I've got no mic at present, using some crappy headphones that came with my phone. :blush:

It ain't the best way to play thats for sure, i think it would be quicker to shoot than type "Friendly" lol :P

I can vouch for the "pissing the mrs off", any time after 10pm and i have to be quiet regardless, otherwise i risk waking the dragon... :o :o :o

Edited by DazTroyer

I haven't even met anyone who even could use the damn direct channel chat.

Met some people who shaked their mouse up-down,side-to side to show they saw and understood and answered to questions.Still they wouldn't chat even if I told them how.

Then otherday I was playing with my brother and he didn't even see or hear what I said or typed in direct channel. Side channel worked though.

I met a chappie yesterday in the up and coming area of Zelenogorsk. He logged in at the supermarket and had no mic. I told him I was a medic, that he was not going to be shot at etc., and he responded by dropping his weapon on the ground.

We did offer him a lift but he preferred not to hop in. Given the way we fly he was both courageous and wise.

shoot if ur a medic i need help i am in elektro with 700 blood please help me

I have a mic but I rarely find use for it outside of talking to my buddy, however the other night I was wondering around the tents in Cherno at like 2AM or 3AM by myself so I didn't have my mic plugged in, I was in one of the tents and I noticed this shadow appear on the floor as I was picking up some meds. At first I thought a Zed had wondered up behind me but then whoever it was turned on its flashlight. My instant reaction was to turn around and view my assailant before they shot me as I was unarmed at the time and there was not one, but two survivors staring at me, guns in hand ready to fire and after about a second of tense silence I heard a faint ".....Friendly?". This was new to me and I didn't know how to react, I had never been face to face with another survivor that I didn't know outside of Dayz who hadn't tried shooting me first. As my mic wasn't in my vain attempts to scream "Friendly!" did nothing and after another couple seconds of what seemed like silence to these two strangers they asked me once more "Friendly?". I hadn't used text chat in lord knows how long and hadn't the slightest clue how to talk with it any more and in my panicked state the best way I could think of to show I was friendly was to franticly shake my characters head up and down. The nice gentlemen pointing shotguns at me somehow understood my inane shaking and responded with "Ok, we'll leave you be". They promptly left me shaking like a crack addict in the dark of the tent and I just stood there wondering how I was still alive, I quickly vacated Cherno and logged out so I could get a stiff drink and plug in my mic.

Top marks to those two who didn't give me new breathing holes for not responding quickly, I will never be playing DayZ without my mic being plugged in ever again. I have no idea how those people without mics survive contact with other survivors without someone firing at the other, but beans to the ones who manage to not get shot when someone asks them if they are friendly and beans to those with mics who give them enough time to respond!

This may sound crazy but I think most of the problems here, could be solved if 90% of DayZ's population wasn't in the mindset of "kill it first"

But I play Dayz without a Mike when I go to a friends house as my laptop doesn't have one and my rig is to bulky to stuff away in my bag. and I don't notice a difference. If I say friendly I get shot, if I don't I get shot. In fact all the times I havn't got shot and got help were times when I didn't have my mike plugged in. So does Dayz require a mike? no. Should you use one? only if your running with someone otherwise its just a waste of time, your gonna get shot either way from what I've seen.

people should have a mic if theyre planning to play dayz for more than a couple hours. a microphone could mean the difference between life and death, losing a comrade to a gunshot and not knowing his location, right down to a can of beans while your starving before they despawn. If you cannot afford your hobby(a whole 10$ investment) than i dont think you should be playing =\

No no no...

We do not live in an ideal world, please read the other posts in this thread.

Although, i do agree with you that a mic is very helpful indeed and gives a massive advantage over those without. The rest of your post I cannot agree with.

Rgds

LoK

My microphone has been broken for a few weeks now, and though I can garble out sound over my onboard mike, Typing normally ends up being my modus operandi.

You don't need a mic to work in a group or interact with players, it's just incredibly helpful.

Edited by amaROenuZ