Sula

Credit to those who play without a microphone

It amazes me how well people manage to play dayz without a microphone. It's such a convenient bit of equipment that you quickly get used to.

Looking back to when I wasn't using one, I realised it takes more time to type "friendly" than to call it out. Same is true of all communication (and I'm a touch typist).

I think all credit to those still using written chat because it's definitely more challenging. :thumbsup: :beans:

• Like 7

frien...

edit: I ran into a guy today who just responded by violently shaking his mouse up and down or left to right when asked a question.

Edited by epitek
  • Like 11

I cannot give credit to people who put themselves and others around them at greater risk.

Not only are they more likely to get shot for not responding instantly over direct chat using voice, but in any kind of group situation they are a massive danger to their allies.

Dayz should not be played without a mic.

I met a chappie yesterday in the up and coming area of Zelenogorsk. He logged in at the supermarket and had no mic. I told him I was a medic, that he was not going to be shot at etc., and he responded by dropping his weapon on the ground.

We did offer him a lift but he preferred not to hop in. Given the way we fly he was both courageous and wise.

• Like 6

Harken, do you plan on banning all our deaf members and what about those who cannot use mics for various reasons? As to greater risk, one can easily argue that the state of play is to type with channels and the use of mics lessens that risk. However, one could just as easily argue that using a mic is cheating. Meta-gaming!

• Like 1

However, one could just as easily argue that using a mic is cheating. Meta-gaming!

I do understand the point you are trying to make, but I'm not sure how you could argue that using a mic could be considered meta-gaming. Using a mic over direct communication appears to be a fairly authentic representation of what would occur in real life when you would approach another person. When you are within the distance necessary to communicate effectively by voice with another individual you have the ability to do so through direct comm.

A deaf player would certainly be at a disadvantage unfortunately. The level of mistrust/paranoia players have for each other is so high that no consideration is given to whether or not a person can only communicate through typing. You just get shot immediately. Of course this occurs even when you do communicate with voice, so really it doesn't matter either way, I suppose.

I've thought about the Teamspeak users as well. It can appear to be an unfair advantage. When you think about it, though, it's more akin to an organized group using radios on a dedicated frequency to coordinate over a distance.

Yes, there is greater risk involved when communicating by typing, but I don't agree that those who use microphones are somehow cheating or having a lesser gaming experience because of it. Mic users can't really be considered to be meta-gaming (exploitative?) because the direct comm. mechanic is a fixture in the core game and is intended to be used for voice comm.

• Like 1

I cannot give credit to people who put themselves and others around them at greater risk.

Not only are they more likely to get shot for not responding instantly over direct chat using voice, but in any kind of group situation they are a massive danger to their allies.

Hello there

For various reasons, I am not able to use a mic at my PC. Should I be banned? How about having some patience before you shoot?

As another beanz filled poster said above there are many reasons folk wont/cannot use a mic. Think externally for a change, we are all different.

rgds

LoK

Hello there

For various reasons, I am not able to use a mic at my PC. Should I be banned? How about having some patience before you shoot?

As another beanz filled poster said above there are many reasons folk wont/cannot use a mic. Think externally for a change, we are all different.

rgds

LoK

True, my desktop that I play DayZ does not work with a mic, for some reason I have yet to discover despite hours of setting changes and troubleshooting.

Instead, I use a netbook with teamspeak and communicate with others like that but if I meet people in game I have to type it out, which is a pain in the ass.

I don't even know the key you press to text chat in game, lol

, and . keys to change channel to direct communication, press / and then type

• Like 1

Azrael, meta-gaming is using anything in our world, such as the abort button, or the Alt-F4 key on your keyboard, and by the same logic/reason, the microphone, to change reality in the dayz world. That's the point I was putting forward. It isn't my view, it's the one put forward by many people.

For example, you can more easily tell your friend on skype that you're going to sneak around the back and kill some sniper than with the keyboard. Now I would say that that is good. But others say using things in our universe/world is cheating and called meta-gaming.

I'm saying that logic naturally falls to microphones too. Of course, we love our microphones so we're not going to want to admit their use is meta-gaming and I doubt Rocket would either, as it would impact negatively on eventual sales!

Edited by Sula
  • Like 1

Rocket endorses meta-gaming as far as I know. I like your point about deaf people playing though, it hadn't occured to me. Now you've made me feel seriously guilty for all of the people I've shot that didn't respond quickly enough. :(. Have I been slaughtering deaf people? I'll surely burn in hell if I have... I'm pretty sure it's against the medics code too.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

I seriously cannot think of any reason at all for not using a mic. Seriously not. Except being to lazy to install one.

A deaf person cannot play games like dayz in the first place, because it basically relies on hearing stuff. There are no subtitles for the hearing impaired anyways.

If you have no headset, just buy one, $20 will buy a decent enough piece. If you don't have that money, well...screw you, why would you be complaining? Complain about the lack of money then, I'd say!

If your PC just has not enough USB-ports...well, it may be a piece of shit you shouldn't have bought! I have 8 of them, using 6 constantly, leaving one to plug in the charger for my wireless mouse sometimes and the other for sticks or external.

If someone is too dumb to install the microphone, chances are he knows who could do it for him, you know, there are a few tech-impaired ones on the net, too! Help them guys!

(edit: a friend of mine got a headset from me because he was annoyingly stating he can't join our TS without a working one...took him 6 months to actually instal it. Lazy guy...also, in a 4-player setting, the only one isolated from the rest...(we played other games, though, not dayZ) )

Playing this without a mic is not an option for me. Although banning people who don't have a mic from your clan seems harsh!

Edited by Traveler

I'm pretty sure deaf people play many games that "rely" on hearing stuff. As in the real world I'm guessing they have developed ways of coping with it.

To be honest, I think I prefer typing things out when it comes to direct chat. Unfortunately, a lot of times I find myself simply unable to hear what someone is saying in direct chat(at least for me).

I've even died once due to the fact I was standing around completely dumbfounded on what someone was saying.

Edited by Deetwo

Agreed, there's a lot of people that need to set their mics up properly.

Fraggle, you always make me smile. Really? Rocket endorses meta-gaming? So why are we not allowed to abort if a sniper attacks for the hills? Why is that cheating? I was told it's because Rocket doesn't like meta-gaming and it's cheating.

Traveller, your inability to grasp such simple ideas is quite shocking. You are unable to grasp that deaf people play dayz, so therefore, it cannot happen? Of course it does. :rolleyes:

Fraggle, you always make me smile. Really? Rocket endorses meta-gaming? So why are we not allowed to abort if a sniper attacks for the hills? Why is that cheating? I was told it's because Rocket doesn't like meta-gaming and it's cheating.

Traveller, your inability to grasp such simple ideas is quite shocking. You are unable to grasp that deaf people play dayz, so therefore, it cannot happen? Of course it does. :rolleyes:

chatting via steam/skype whatever is basically like using handsignals in combat (or whispering or radio walkietalkie), you can tell your partner what you intend to do without the other side knowing about it.

Alt+F4 on the other hand is just disappearing into thin air, not really realistic.

• Like 1

Ahh, I'm glad I made you smile, now i feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

As far as I understand it (I'm sure someone will correct me) meta-gaming is doing things like using using an opponents teamspeak to listen in on their conversations and so on. Or using this forum to infiltrate a clan and so on. I've definatley seen a quote from Rocket endorsing this. Aborting during combat is just plain cheating and against the spirit of the game.

I seriously cannot think of any reason at all for not using a mic. Seriously not. Except being to lazy to install one.

You're an idiot then, if you can't imagine someone playing on a laptop with headphones in their living room, with their wife

watching TV in the same room and a baby sleeping on the other side of a thin wall. In fact I've got a mic right here beside

me for when my friends/family skype me during the day, but I just can't speak while playing.

And where do you get off calling people lazy. By the time I've finished work and fulfilled all the responsibilities towards my family

it's 9pm, and I've got two hours to myself. If I've had a shitty day, I'll unwind with DayZ for an hour. If I've got enough strength and

motivation left, I'll spend that time on a web project to try to earn extra cash.

Nope, definitely not laziness.

Depends on what you mean by "aborting during combat". Being shot at in dayz isn't combat. That's an act of terrorism, unless two parties are fighting each other. (If you're playing arma that's different.)

If someone shot at me I would never abort. I would run, and in the very last resort, shoot back.

However, if I arrive in a server that has one person on it and I spawn in the same remote location I was in the last time I played, yet 10 seconds later some sniper tries to shoot me, I am not staying around. I'm leaving. How can that even be possible without hacking?

And during my first couple of weeks, if I was attacked by a large number of zombies I would abort if surrounded and unable to run. Again, I was told this is cheating so I stopped but I still feel it's not wrong to abort if you are new. Maybe noob licences could be issued that permit x number of aborts agains zombie gangs in your first two weeks of play! :D

when someone isn't responding on direct doesn't mean he will shoot..but when i'm 40m near a guy i watch more his hands than the chat line..it's recommended to have the mic more for playing in group than for casual encounters...

though it should be nice to create a system where you push a button and your char speaks for you..with some basic phrases...

They seem to have kind of dealt with combat logging to a degree. If you log out while in shock you get a really slow knock-out timer when you log back in. That stops people ghosting to get behind you. I agree that getting shot at is different to being in combat but it's still cheating to DC. If you think it's a hacker though, that's a different story, just get the hell out of there!

Azrael, meta-gaming is using anything in our world, such as the abort button, or the Alt-F4 key on your keyboard, and by the same logic/reason, the microphone, to change reality in the dayz world. That's the point I was putting forward. It isn't my view, it's the one put forward by many people.

Thanks for the clarification Sula! I've never had a full understanding of what 'meta-gaming' meant. So, yes, I now get the point you were making.

Oh, absolutely.

It also shouldn't be played by anyone who doesn't have a high-end GPU and CPU, or less than a 20 Mbps down, 5Mbps up connection.

:|

You're not serious are you?

• Like 1