Sign in to follow this  
harley001

Makeshift silencers.

The ideal is simple. The ability to craft silencers. They should reduce range by alot. Thus they are not as good as uncrafted ones.

Can silencer. Decreases range by alot. Made with can and survival knife. *no the survival knife is not consumed in the process*

Metal tube. Decreased a medium amount of range. Scrap metal and a fire axe. *you keep the axe*

Homemade silencer. Deceases range by just a little. Almost as good as regular. two things of scrap meta and a can. Need axe and knife. You keep both.

Note i said they decrease range not accuracy. Because no one is going to use em if it means their bullets go spraying everywhere.

If you see a way to improve this then please say so.

Its already been stated that weapon modifications are supported in the arma 3 engine and dayz standalone. Chances are it will be a single hard to find weapon mod found in heli crashes/high value military loot. Silencers are prized and the homemade one is just too simple to get ahold of.

I like the idea because it's a solid idea, but most home-made silencers in real life are one shot or few shot use. Mostly one shot. It's not very practical, but in a desperate situation it might come in handy. However, if you're in a desperate situation you probably wouldn't have time to craft the silencer lol.

• Like 1

Can silencer?

I'm no firearms expert, but I don't believe this would work too well.

Edited by *Regulator* Fosty99
  • Like 1

hmm yes interesting idea defenetly but i dont know about the canned silencer ?

maybe you could have to use bandage(s) for this process aswell hence the material that dampens the sound of the weapon.

But like the other chap said the easier ones would be too easy to get your hands on but then again like another chap above said aswell only a few time use but then maybe people wouldnt really bother with them at all in that case.. ?

You can't make a makeshift backyard heehaw silencer.

You can, however, make a suppresor.

And this, people, is surprisingly easy to do.

With the curent items present in cherno, the easiest type to create would be to make a muffled-can silencer.

Basically, you stuff a soda can with fabric and stick it at the end of a handgun.

It will reduce the noise, a bit.

It's also make it impossible to use the gun's iron-sights.

Bandage + sode can = single use crappy suppressor.

• Like 2

New to using forums of any sort, but I love dayz, sorry if I'm not supposed to bump this because of age or anything. But if you happened to find a pillow, put it over your nozzle, and shoot... That'd be good for a few shots. Just an interesting idea, stealing it from a variety of films.

The only thing that worries me is if can silencers are to easy to have where all players now have silent weapons.

Like the idea of having another way but I just don't see it working since how would you place one on a gun.

I have heard of them using in close quarters like the idea of a pillow over target and the gun fires through pillow.

I have heard of them using in close quarters like the idea of a pillow over target and the gun fires through pillow.

Cool so I'm not an idiot. But I agree, everyone would have silencers if you we're able to craft them simply. It'd be cool if broken silencers were not 100% rare and it took a bit to fix them.

• Like 1

You can make supressors/silencers (same thing) from a lot of things, and anything is better than nothing. There is a company that makes a threaded adapter for barrels that then threads to automotive oil filters.

You do not need subsonic ammunition when using a silencer, whether crafted or not crafted. Subsonic rounds just use less powder and eliminate the crack you get from the sound barrier. They also have less powder so the round won't have the same energy/velocity (won't hit as hard, or go as far) which in turn helps with reducing the volume of sound...

Then you have wet/dry silencers, there is a lot more things out there than you may think.

All in all nothing will beat a proper supressor/silencer but there are alternatives that can be put together and be quite effective.

• Like 1

Cool so I'm not an idiot. But I agree, everyone would have silencers if you we're able to craft them simply. It'd be cool if broken silencers were not 100% rare and it took a bit to fix them.

Craftable silencers won't be 'pew pew' but should have a larger sound signature but not as loud as a non-silenced variant. I don't have any problem with everyone running around with craftable silencers if they find the resources/have the knowledge to put it together. We don't know what Rocket plans to do with his concept of crafting for this game so we'll see.

Also, a production silencer would be pretty hard to "fix" ... I'm not sure what you mean by broken? Bent? Hole blown in it? Good luck fixing them.

You can make supressors/silencers (same thing) from a lot of things, and anything is better than nothing. There is a company that makes a threaded adapter for barrels that then threads to automotive oil filters.

You do not need subsonic ammunition when using a silencer, whether crafted or not crafted. Subsonic rounds just use less powder and eliminate the crack you get from the sound barrier. They also have less powder so the round won't have the same energy/velocity (won't hit as hard, or go as far) which in turn helps with reducing the volume of sound...

Then you have wet/dry silencers, there is a lot more things out there than you may think.

All in all nothing will beat a proper supressor/silencer but there are alternatives that can be put together and be quite effective.

Craftable silencers won't be 'pew pew' but should have a larger sound signature but not as loud as a non-silenced variant. I don't have any problem with everyone running around with craftable silencers if they find the resources/have the knowledge to put it together. We don't know what Rocket plans to do with his concept of crafting for this game so we'll see.

Also, a production silencer would be pretty hard to "fix" ... I'm not sure what you mean by broken? Bent? Hole blown in it? Good luck fixing them.

Well now I feel stupid.

I plan to walk around with a backpack full of pillows.

I plan to walk around with a backpack full of pillows.

If you slip off a building I hope you land on your back to break the fall.

• Like 2

I personally believe that silencers should be rare and something for players to strive for.

By making home made silencers very easy to make which have a negative affect on the game.

Plus I don't think pillows will make the cut in the final game,.....awww =(

One thing confuses me, how the fuck would a can or a metal tube slow the bullet down? It wont even do anything, the bullet will go right trough and make the same amount of noise as before. By the way, it's called the suppressor. Maybe that will give you a hint what it actually does.

It slows down the release of gas, without silencer the gas is released in a single sudden impulse causing a loud bang. A silencer releases it over comparatively longer time making it a longer but quieter sound.

That said, i think even silenced guns are atleast 100Db so even with military silencers we are not talking about great advantage.

Hello there

For those not in the know, do some googling on "silencers" and suppressors.

It's not like you seen in the movies, for the most part.

Pillows do not good "silencers" make:)

rgds

LoK

you can potentially make, silencers yourself, but they wount have a long life, propably 5-10 shots. then you need to replace the fillings, and with each shot the sound becomes louder as you use it. Good idea imho, but i think we would need to implement something new to do it, or improvise multiple current mechanics to create it, say toolbox, scrap metal and empty tin/soda cans as required materials from current ones, then add a new item vaseline or thick hydraulic oil which is closer to gel.

It is all about baffling and controlling the gases (slowing them down and cooling them before they escape the muzzle)... it's not rocket science.

20110912-224428.jpg

Here is the cutaway of a supressor. This one has a pretty intense baffling system. Supressors aren't some cutting edge technology like people seem to think they are.

As mentioned oil filter supressor.

Pretty basic design. All they did was create an adapter that hooks up to modern day oil filters. Oil filters have a baffling system already in them for ... filtering oil. These can be effective at reducing your sound signature but obviously not as effective compared to a product specifically made for a weapon.

Edited by Dreygar

First of all this is my friend Stu's idea (Evilution on here). I also used the search bar and never got anything back surprisingly.

Basically empty bottles should be used as silencers it'll only last for 2-3 shots due to the pressure destroying it.

Also you should be able to sacrifice your flashlight for a silencer;

we7e5.jpg

This is a great risk reward situation. Choose stealth over light. You'll regret it when the sun goes down but it'd be an amazing help during the day.

Hello there

There have been several threads on this. If I can find it I'll merge yours, if not, I'll leave it be :)

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

There have been several threads on this. If I can find it I'll merge yours, if not, I'll leave it be :)

Rgds

LoK

Damnit :D

damnit indeed :)

Merged.

l