C0LDKILL (DayZ)

Keep or Remove waypoints

Keep or move Waypoints?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or Remove waypoints?

• Keep waypoints
    • Remove waypoints

I see where you're coming from. If you enable waypoints then the compass and GPS are usless.

I wish there was a third option - Waypoints only active when you have a GPS.

I mean, what GPS these days doesn't do waypoints?

I know that is not possible in the current mod, but may be possible in the standalone.

Make it a function of the GPS, and take it off the main HUD and put an arrow and distance on the GPS unit (since the GPS can be placed on the HUD), and then it's both fair and realistic.

Otherwise, disable it.

• Like 6

It was on my server, and then my group found out about it. Nobody got lost anymore, which was a damn shame...getting lost is one of the best parts of DayZ IMHO. I turned it off, and only heard complaints the first evening...

Basicly it makes the world to easy to navigate.. I thought people played DayZ because it is hard.

• Like 2

Having a large green pointy arrow floating in space 300m away like some crazy HUD.

Nah, sorry. Learn to read a map, use a compass and landmarks for navigation.

It is actually pretty simple and very rewarding when it comes off. Especially during a night exercise.

• Like 1

GPS should be removed also.

That system does not run without human intervention. It takes thousands of people all over the globe to maintain it on a minute by minute basis.

Unless the zeds are still rocking up for a hard dayz work, those types of system would fail within months of a world wide catastrophe.

Edited by EMT - Jasz
  • Like 1

3. Continue to make it a difficulty option.

Keep.

However, modify it so they only work when you have a GPS. Would make the GPS more useful and add a semi-realistic feature into the game.

• Like 1

Make the GPS needed for waypoints.

Make it so the waypoints are not visible on you HUD but on the GPS itself. Giving you a direction and a distance.

I'm okay with waypoints. But as it is right now, it's detrimental.

• Like 3

I'm for removing them completely. It's perfectly out of keeping with Day Z and should be removed. I'm wondering why it hasnt yet.

Can someone post a link as to what waypoints are in DZ?

If you open your map, place your cursor over a location and press shift+Lclick a marker will be set. Some servers have the marker direction and distance show up on your HUD so you can effectively negate the use of GPS/Compass/Actual navigation skill with a map.

It is true that GPS would fail without hourly syncing of the clocks in the satellites. However, it would be considered a valuable asset worth protecting at all costs by the military, especially the 2nd Space Operations Squadron in Colorado. Even if most of the worldwide monitoring stations are offline, updates and corrections are still possible, but it does increase inaccuracy. Considering the infection is not 100% fatal (since we have survivors), it is safe to assume that the facilities and protocols made for WWIII in Colorado alone that the military has made to survive nuclear, biological, and chemical attacks, that GPS control would still be online for long after most of the world succumbed.

Taking this into account, perhaps make the GPS sometimes inaccurate and even offline at times.

Also, make it need batteries. Requiring batteries (or a way charge from a vehicle with a chance of frying the electronics) in NVGs, GPS units, thermal sights, and rangefinders could really balance things out.

Waypoints are weak, learn to use a compass and a map. no compass? move to a high feature and read the terrain. Waypoints, in there current form are way to gamey imho. If they are included in the stand alone, it should only be with a GPS, it should work approximately like a real GPS (no floating green numbers telling me where to go) and should require batteries.

Edited by John Spectre

Waypoints are weak, learn to use a compass and a map. no compass? move to a high feature and read the terrain. Waypoints, in there current form are way to gamey imho. If they are included in the stand alone, it should only be with a GPS, it should work approximately like a real GPS (no floating green numbers telling me where to go) and should require batteries.

This was the best one to Quote In my opinion, And I think that ALOT of game features should either be restored. Or Shot.

"Waypoints are weak, way to gamey"

Way to gamey? What, and using TeamSpeak or Skype or Steam Voice, etc, To bypass the chat removal, Isn't?

Alt-f4 Doesn't work in real life either, Does here. Esc, abort, Disconnect doesn't work in real life either, It does here.

spawn/REspawn? Thats Pretty Realistic, too, yo. BETTER YET, Is the fact that you SPAWN before YOU spawn, And That guy over there that cares more about Trolling you, dooming the human race, or is psychopathic for no reason but because he had a bad day irl, or was ganked just a second prior, would rather SHOOT you in the HEAD.... POSSIBLY.. three times, before you even finish CONNECTING..... Realistic, I did that just the other day at Wal-mart, This guy was logging in so I shot him in the head and took his wallet. Seemed Legit.

My Opinion. Leave Waypoints, Restore Chat so that you can talk to server admin and or people about whats going on, If theres some crazed killer on the loose,surely someone has heard the gunshots and would write some kinda warning.

etc

I see where you're coming from. If you enable waypoints then the compass and GPS are usless.

GPS makes knowing your location far, far easier.

GPS should be removed also.

That system does not run without human intervention. It takes thousands of people all over the globe to maintain it on a minute by minute basis.

Unless the zeds are still rocking up for a hard dayz work, those types of system would fail within months of a world wide catastrophe.

Who's to say this isn't an isolated incident. Zombie outbreak, No boats on the horizon. zero air traffic apart from the ones that were crashed. Military pulls out. Quarantines everything. World keeps spinning.

Who's to say this isn't an isolated incident. Zombie outbreak, No boats on the horizon. zero air traffic apart from the ones that were crashed. Military pulls out. Quarantines everything. World keeps spinning.

Paging Dr. Loggins.

No? Kenny Loggins? Dangerzone? Seriously, my talents are wasted here.