Sign in to follow this  
robertmcknz

Another thread on random killing? (Kind of long)

First off, lets get this straight, this is not a complaint thread. Okay cool.

This seems to be the biggest problem that is happening with this game other than players hacking. The issue is that this is a survival based game, which means you survive, not matter what the cost. But instead of grouping together people have just been killing each other, in fear the other kills them first. While this is a logical and understandable reaction to meeting someone, it dose not make the game ...fun.

Now like everyone else who has posted in this topic, i have a my own idea as to how to solve this. So you can either A) like the idea or dislike it, and move on with your life. Or B) Try to give me some CORRECTIVE CRITICISM on the matter. Otherwise we just end up with a thread full of people yelling back and forth at one another and calling each other dumb... which is pretty much what we are trying to solve, am i right? So, you respect my ideas, i respect your ideas, even if we don't like each others. Okay lets get into this.

I notice many people are trying to add in elements to this game in order to stop the random death-match attitude it has. I on the other hand disagree. What this game strives in is its freedom and raw game play. When we add more and more, we end up getting the generic m4 zombie shooting game that all of us are trying to avoid. Instead of Adding things, like a "Carma Bar" or "kill limit", which will weight the game down and center it more around avatar growth, not avatar survival, I say we Organize. What i mean is instead of adding elements to the game, we organize elements to this game. I'll explain through example of games we all know.

Okay, don't hate on me here but I'm going to use some very stereotypical examples to get my point across, but here me out. Anyone who has played left for dead knows that you need other players in order to survive. I know this game is nothing like left for dead, but it dose have a element we want. Team work. It is tough as hell to get through that game all by yourself. You need the assistance of friends OR the 3 AI players to assist you, in case you get caught up by a zed at the wrong time. Everyone who has played left for dead has had that moment where your yelling at your friends; "OH GAWD OH GAWD HAAALPP MEE AFNDKSFJAKF!!!" It dose this through Enemy abilities, and good level plan. Your probably sitting there going: "So now what, you want smokers in Day-z, and this is an open world man, we can't have level plan and stuff gawd whats wrong with you!" Now, i don't want "Smokers in Day-z or anything, but the level plan thing can be done.

Another game that has the band together or battle for survival is Red Dead Redemption. Now i know your shaking your head at me but listen to me. This game is worlds apart from Day-Z, like L4d, but it still contains that great element that we want. On multiplier, the quickest way to earn Xp is to go through hide outs. What these "hide outs" are, are locations in the open world in which you adventure into, in order to kill enemy, gain loot, and gain XP. But the only thing is, these hide outs are complex and hard to do by yourself. So, the game encourages players to team up in order to defeat these hideouts. BUT the option to go out and just kill, adventure and do whatever is still an option.

Now imagine if Day-z took this concept. It had certain areas, in which loot drops where very valuable. But these areas where very hard to get through on your own. In order to get the loot, you would need to team up with a few other players for help. This way it creates a sense of you all needing one another. But we never loose the choice of being on our own if we want. If we don't want to go to these hide outs to get this loot, we dont need to, we can wander around the city if we want. This way though, teaming up or not, we are still always threatened. The element that the guy next to you could kill you, but at the same time he needs you just as much as you need him. What is more valuable, getting the loot, or killing your partner for what he could possibly have in his backpack.

And last but not least, we as a community need to do somethings. We need to talk to one another while we play. And it wouldn't hurt to be able to have a friends list. You could possibly even start clans, who knows. I just hope this has made some scene, and in the least, got some people thinking. I hope you enjoyed this, and if you agree with something I've said, say so, and if you don't, then don't just say it, tell us how to fix it.

SGT Tasty Wheat.

inb4 bandit uses you to get in, then shoots you after you do the hard work. bro your getting there.

inb4 bandit uses you to get in, then shoots you after you do the hard work. bro your getting there.

Great Point! That is something i thought of. This could of coarse be solved by Where and how you obtain the loot, if you all obtain the same loot, and if it benefits you to get it. Maybe you can't kill the members in your group? or maybe there is a protection time that allows you all to collect the loot, but for a certain amount of time, you can't hurt the members of your group (Other players could still hurt you, and you can hurt them). This way, you have time to get away from your group safely, and they can do the same. But if you trust your group members you can choose to stay together. Or, we could make it similar to a raid or dungeon on wow. (I'm guessing most of you stopped reading as soon as you saw WOW haha, but i have a point) After a raid or dungeon you get ported back to a different location, or a safe location where there is no PVP. Maybe the others in your group don't see what you get for loot?

I'm sure that solving the problem of someone capping you off at the very end for all the loot is an easier problem to solve then people killing all the time.

Actually, we already have the zones: Cherno, Elektro and NWA. What I see as the problem is that it already pays off to go in groups. But still, we need some way to make people more dependent on one another. If there was a limit on how much you could eat, you would be a lot more willing to seek others for a transfusion. A higher chance of unconsciousness would make it more risky to go in alone. It would mean that people would be pretty bad off when they spawn, but then again DayZ is not about fair. Maybe a good availability of signal flares would help people find one another.

I think the zombies should represent a significant risk, even against fully decked out players. That would increase the tendency for people everywhere to band together. I would hate taking away the prospect of cold blooded murder and all out betrayal, but right now the zombies are so docile that other players are the real threats.

I wonder i it was possible to include crew-served weapons like M2HB or mortars as high level loot. If you need ten slots for the receiver, another five for the barrel and ten again for the mount, you have to have at least three man to operate the weapon. On the other hand, you get enough firepower to level a small town. More vehicles that needed more spare parts would also change the gameplay, as spare parts are heavy. You would be more willing to risk a stranger seeing your truck if the real find was the motor he just helped you carry to get it working.

********************************WITHOUT PREJUDICE**********************************************************************************************************************************

The simple solution to not being killed all the time, has been given so many times, but you guys don't really listen. My turn.

Don't go to Cherno, Elektro, Stary Sobor or NW airfield. If you insist on going to these places, be very careful when you do, and don't be surprised if you DIE. Doing so on a server with very few people on it is safer but still extremely dangerous. Snipers and haxors love these places, because so do you.

There are vast areas on the map where you can spend weeks and you will likely not encounter anyone else. If you are not a complete pussy, you can go to Berezino (2 supermarkets, 2 sets of apartments, 2 hospitals and even some military tents), snipers and haxors are too lazy and/or impatient to go up there (and maybe so are all of you guys who want all the pointless killing to stop). Go to Vybor, you might even find a helicopter crash site on the way. Have you ever found one? I doubt it, because you are all running straight to Cherno hoping to score an awesome AK-74 and be sniper bait. Did you know there is a NE airfield? Folks rarely go there either, it is even rumoured to be a chopper spawn.

If you want a vehicle, chances are you are going to have to take it off someone else, or at least compete with someone else who wants it. Guess what? They are carrying guns. Zombies don't carry guns, but zombies don't fly helicopters either.

Use the teamspeak server (that most server admins offer), to find a friend to share your tent on green mountain with. After all, you want to trust them, put a little effort into finding them.

If you really want me to stop sniping you with whatever I can find (and I know plenty of tents full of duped shit I don't even bother with), make me look for you. I don't care about losing my gear because I only need a rifle and some binoculars. I don't want your compass or your matches, if I wanted those I would go to Berzino and dodge zombies for them. It's more fun than getting my ass shot off in Cherno.

Instead of trying to adapt the game to your play-style, adapt your play-style to the game.

If it makes you feel any better, haxors find me and kill me all the time, which annoys me. I guess it is my own fault tho really, cos I love murderin in Cherno.

Your gear will not help your character survive longer but your experience and your wisdom will. Loot is cool, blind pursuit of it is foolish. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, is just stoopid.

The game you are talking about in your post is not DayZ, it sounds more like The War Z.

It is only recently I discovered why I can never find a CZ, or the damn ammo. And it was not through lack of looking.

Honestly, I am trying to help you enjoy the game more, to the detriment of myself. Murdering scumbag that I am. I love easy kills, but I love killing those dicks who use an AS50 or a M107 more.

The real challenge of this game is...... the challenge of this game. Confused? Think about it.

********************************WITHOUT PREJUDICE**********************************************************************************************************************************

First off, lets get this straight, this is not a complaint thread. Okay cool.

This seems to be the biggest problem that is happening with this game other than players hacking. The issue is that this is a survival based game, which means you survive, not matter what the cost. But instead of grouping together people have just been killing each other, in fear the other kills them first. While this is a logical and understandable reaction to meeting someone, it dose not make the game ...fun.

Now like everyone else who has posted in this topic, i have a my own idea as to how to solve this. So you can either A) like the idea or dislike it, and move on with your life. Or B) Try to give me some CORRECTIVE CRITICISM on the matter. Otherwise we just end up with a thread full of people yelling back and forth at one another and calling each other dumb... which is pretty much what we are trying to solve, am i right? So, you respect my ideas, i respect your ideas, even if we don't like each others. Okay lets get into this.

I notice many people are trying to add in elements to this game in order to stop the random death-match attitude it has. I on the other hand disagree. What this game strives in is its freedom and raw game play. When we add more and more, we end up getting the generic m4 zombie shooting game that all of us are trying to avoid. Instead of Adding things, like a "Carma Bar" or "kill limit", which will weight the game down and center it more around avatar growth, not avatar survival, I say we Organize. What i mean is instead of adding elements to the game, we organize elements to this game. I'll explain through example of games we all know.

Okay, don't hate on me here but I'm going to use some very stereotypical examples to get my point across, but here me out. Anyone who has played left for dead knows that you need other players in order to survive. I know this game is nothing like left for dead, but it dose have a element we want. Team work. It is tough as @#!*% to get through that game all by yourself. You need the assistance of friends OR the 3 AI players to assist you, in case you get caught up by a zed at the wrong time. Everyone who has played left for dead has had that moment where your yelling at your friends; "OH GAWD OH GAWD HAAALPP MEE AFNDKSFJAKF!!!" It dose this through Enemy abilities, and good level plan. Your probably sitting there going: "So now what, you want smokers in Day-z, and this is an open world man, we can't have level plan and stuff gawd whats wrong with you!" Now, i don't want "Smokers in Day-z or anything, but the level plan thing can be done.

Another game that has the band together or battle for survival is Red Dead Redemption. Now i know your shaking your head at me but listen to me. This game is worlds apart from Day-Z, like L4d, but it still contains that great element that we want. On multiplier, the quickest way to earn Xp is to go through hide outs. What these "hide outs" are, are locations in the open world in which you adventure into, in order to kill enemy, gain loot, and gain XP. But the only thing is, these hide outs are complex and hard to do by yourself. So, the game encourages players to team up in order to defeat these hideouts. BUT the option to go out and just kill, adventure and do whatever is still an option.

Now imagine if Day-z took this concept. It had certain areas, in which loot drops where very valuable. But these areas where very hard to get through on your own. In order to get the loot, you would need to team up with a few other players for help. This way it creates a sense of you all needing one another. But we never loose the choice of being on our own if we want. If we don't want to go to these hide outs to get this loot, we dont need to, we can wander around the city if we want. This way though, teaming up or not, we are still always threatened. The element that the guy next to you could kill you, but at the same time he needs you just as much as you need him. What is more valuable, getting the loot, or killing your partner for what he could possibly have in his backpack.

And last but not least, we as a community need to do somethings. We need to talk to one another while we play. And it wouldn't hurt to be able to have a friends list. You could possibly even start clans, who knows. I just hope this has made some scene, and in the least, got some people thinking. I hope you enjoyed this, and if you agree with something I've said, say so, and if you don't, then don't just say it, tell us how to fix it.

SGT Tasty Wheat.

I like what you're trying to say, but there are better ways. The best thread I've seen on the subject (I'll find the link later) suggested that we make DayZ EXTREMELY hard. SO hard that you absolutely have to depend on someone to survive.

The simple solution to not being killed all the time, has been given so many times, but you guys don't really listen. My turn.

Don't go to Cherno, Elektro, Stary Sobor or NW airfield. If you insist on going to these places, be very careful when you do, and don't be surprised if you DIE. Doing so on a server with very few people on it is safer but still extremely dangerous. Snipers and haxors love these places, because so do you.

There are vast areas on the map where you can spend weeks and you will likely not encounter anyone else. If you are not a complete pussy, you can go to Berezino (2 supermarkets, 2 sets of apartments, 2 hospitals and even some military tents), snipers and haxors are too lazy and/or impatient to go up there (and maybe so are all of you guys who want all the pointless killing to stop). Go to Vybor, you might even find a helicopter crash site on the way. Have you ever found one? I doubt it, because you are all running straight to Cherno hoping to score an awesome AK-74 and be sniper bait. Did you know there is a NE airfield? Folks rarely go there either, it is even rumoured to be a chopper spawn.

If you want a vehicle, chances are you are going to have to take it off someone else, or at least compete with someone else who wants it. Guess what? They are carrying guns. Zombies don't carry guns, but zombies don't fly helicopters either.

Use the teamspeak server (that most server admins offer), to find a friend to share your tent on green mountain with. After all, you want to trust them, put a little effort into finding them.

If you really want me to stop sniping you with whatever I can find (and I know plenty of tents full of duped shit I don't even bother with), make me look for you. I don't care about losing my gear because I only need a rifle and some binoculars. I don't want your compass or your matches, if I wanted those I would go to Berzino and dodge zombies for them. It's more fun than getting my ass shot off in Cherno.

Instead of trying to adapt the game to your play-style, adapt your play-style to the game.

If it makes you feel any better, haxors find me and kill me all the time, which annoys me. I guess it is my own fault tho really, cos I love murderin in Cherno.

Your gear will not help your character survive longer but your experience and your wisdom will. Loot is cool, blind pursuit of it is foolish. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, is just stoopid.

The game you are talking about in your post is not DayZ, it sounds more like The War Z.

It is only recently I discovered why I can never find a CZ, or the damn ammo. And it was not through lack of looking.

Honestly, I am trying to help you enjoy the game more, to the detriment of myself. Murdering scumbag that I am. I love easy kills, but I love killing those dicks who use an AS50 or a M107 more.

The real challenge of this game is...... the challenge of this game. Confused? Think about it.

The issue is not that we are being stupid and just running into elktro. I know how not to get killed in day z. The thing we are trying to get away from is not being killed. the thing we are trying to avoid is being alone and having not multiplier experiences in an mmo. I've learned that no matter what, your gonna die in this game. you should never get attached to things because one: you can always find things again easily, especially if you know the landscape, and two: you will loose it. Your right, when you are new, you shouldn't just run into the city areas or other heavy pvp areas like the airfields. And yes, you can contact people through things like team-speak, but at this point, no one trusts one another. I've hooked up with people online, just to meet them in a certain area, for them to put a bullet in my head. But thats life, and thats the game that you play. I don't want to get trid of the risk, but I'd like to make random killing less one sided. I say we keep areas like the elktro the way they are, full of pvp and item drops. And add these hideout areas also. That way we have starter areas, like shores and small towns. We have the cities for heavy pvp, and then the hideout type areas for grouping up. That way everyone's happy. Newbies have the newbie areas, pvp players have pvp areas, and then hideouts.

You make a good point, and to some point I agree, people shouldn't complain if they are running around high populated areas on servers with lots of players. That's a given. But right now the game has no point in grouping up, making this muiltplyer game, a very lonley multiplier game. We have a lot of people playing this, lets not waste that.

I like what you're trying to say, but there are better ways. The best thread I've seen on the subject (I'll find the link later) suggested that we make DayZ EXTREMELY hard. SO hard that you absolutely have to depend on someone to survive.

This would work great. I like this idea as well. We need SOMETHING to keep us playing. SOMETHING to join together for.