Server Hopping  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How should server hopping be handled.

• I think it's fine the way it is.
    • A timer before you can rejoin the server you were on .
    • A timer before you can join any server.
    • Character should be locked to one server.
    • Characters should be allowed to change servers a limited number of times.

Server hopping is a contentious issue.

It's really nice to be able to change servers at will, but it creates all kinds of problems, Ghosting being the primary issue, server hopping for loot farming, vehicles and sniper killing noobs being other issues.

I wonder if the cons outweigh the pros on this one and thought it might be interesting to see what everyone else thinks about how it should be handled in the standalone.

So vote and discuss.

Edited by Strategos
  • Like 1

A timer before you can join any server.

The one above wouldn't stop server hopping for loot, and the one below is too extreme imo.

Also you have to stay on the server for some time (Like 1-5 mins?) before the timer would kick in.

Edited by Angryofficer

add option for "Its this thread again"

i might be biased though, got reprimanded when I suggested this obviously often-discussed solution a few weeks ago...

• Like 1

A timer would be best. After maybe 3 server hops in a one hour period. Before I owned a server, I'd server hop to multiple servers just trying to find one that would run properly. So, let's not have the timer start right away after you hop to a new server.

personally i think you need another option

people should be allowed to DC and then reconnect on the same server that way they cannot move, but if your char is going to a dif server you have to wait 10 mins or something like that, that way people cannot server swap behind you *unless your camping and they saw you* but people can still DC to avoid zombies, and from what i've seen thats very popular among people who don't know how to headshot.

because when the 5 seconds of staying in the server after DC comes around it will look funny as hell to watch someone getting mauled

waiting 10 min? as already said that doesn't stop looting but is hard on justified reason. For example if I am relativly fresh with my character I sometimes connect 5 times until I find a server where its not pitch black night.

If its a cloudy night one can gamma up but otherwise without night vision there is no point.

Maybe a timer to connect to same server again would help partially/some issues.

Most of the poll choices are silly, ESPECIALLY "your character should be locked to one server"

Those who voted that choice obviously are ignorant towards hackers and other server ruining things.

• Like 1

Then again the timer has to difference "abort" from "connection lost" or it gets more anoying than it helps.

And even then please after the graphic issues are fixed bc that alone is often a reason to re-connect.

OP do you mean server hopping or ghosting?

answer #2 seems to refer to ghosting not server hopping

Edited by Magicool

No timer for rejoining last server (you cannot move) or substantially shorter, like 1 min, and 5 mins for a different one, maybe. Current problem would be how slow some server seem to be, or at least for me it is annoying sometimes because it's taking forever to join a server and with no real bias I just jump onto another if it's taking long to connect.

Then again the timer has to difference "abort" from "connection lost" or it gets more anoying than it helps.

And even then please after the graphic issues are fixed bc that alone is often a reason to re-connect.

This wouldn't help. I can see people turning off routers or unplugging wires to simulate 'connection lost'.

I propose this combination to fix most server-hop problems, the first a common suggestion, the second I believe is original:

1.) Combat server hopping to avoid death by keeping the character on the server for say 10 seconds after DC (can be harmed/killed in this time).

2.) Combat server hopping to find fresh loot (at least partly) by lowering the spawn rate percentage of good items on lower population servers. If you want to switch servers to find good stuff your best bet is to go onto a busier server, and this means more danger. Original post here:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/73791-item-spawns-rarer-on-low-pop-servers-rarer-by-day-than-night/#entry701392

Edited by kander

The thread is about how the standalone should handle characters and servers. I didn't word question two very well as it infers a particular problem.

I realise the subject has been discussed at length, i didn't see another poll for it though and was interested to get some idea of what people think.

waiting 10 min? as already said that doesn't stop looting but is hard on justified reason. For example if I am relativly fresh with my character I sometimes connect 5 times until I find a server where its not pitch black night.

If its a cloudy night one can gamma up but otherwise without night vision there is no point.

Maybe a timer to connect to same server again would help partially/some issues.

Flashlight

I think its also important that people HAVE to play at night sometimes. Its a really atmospheric integral part of the game.

People need to step away from what's "easy" and immerse themselves in the experience.

This can't really happen right now, but we are talking about the standalone here.

agreed I prefere n8 but not if I can't see a thing, cloudy nights are ok, where you see some outlines. Flashlight? yeah why not a ghetto blaster and sing loud :) ..in real life I would keep hiding and sleep a bit. so I do that or save try to find a server a bit closer to dawn.

Server hopping is a contentious issue.

It's really nice to be able to change servers at will, but it creates all kinds of problems, Ghosting being the primary issue, server hopping for loot farming, vehicles and sniper killing noobs being other issues.

I wonder if the cons outweigh the pros on this one and thought it might be interesting to see what everyone else thinks about how it should be handled in the standalone.

So vote and discuss.

Minecraft has it own minez and its log out idea would work. You have to stay still for 15 second you can't move or use your weapon or it stops the log out.

This would stop people from leaving when someone is around because in that 15 seconds they could line up a shot on your head.

I go on and off of servers quite frequently when first getting on DayZ until I find one with good connectivity and such.

I chose number two, mainly for people who log out momentarily in order to avoid dangerous situations. If there could be some sort of log kept for an individual player, that would be nice.

Say a player joins a server, the log would record the player joining said server. Then, after the player logged out because a horrible group of zombies/bandits/flaming helicopters started spreading a trail of destruction in their direction, it would say something like "You cannot join this server for X amount of time."

This would not affect people like me, who are just trying to find a good server to play on, but will also prevent people from gaining unfair advantages on certain servers.

A timer before you log out would work fairly well. Locking people to one server would be bad for those of us that may have to switch servers a lot due to artifacting or broken connections.

I understand Rocket's vision with a persistent character between worlds, but I don't think it works with the small amount of people on one server. If he had servers (or shards) where you could have 1000s of players at once then I think it would work a lot better to have a character that is locked to that server/shard.

Because of how crappy the server code is - having to be continually reset the server, tents/vehicles not appearing, small amount of players, servers going down for hours/days, etc. you can't have characters locked to a server. That means you have to be able to server hop in some form.

I personally think, and I've recommended this before, that you should be able to server hop as often as you want, unless you are within X meters of another player/zombie or have the shock icon (looted something recently as well?) - throw in logout timers or something then. If you're off by yourself in the middle of the forest, who really cares if you server hop.

Because of how crappy the server code is - having to be continually reset the server, tents/vehicles not appearing, small amount of players, servers going down for hours/days, etc. you can't have characters locked to a server. That means you have to be able to server hop in some form.

That is a good point. If your locked to a specific server and it's shut down (maybe for good) your stuck so that idea wouldn't work.