Mikeloeven (DayZ)

Give Current Dayz Players Free Game Keys On Release

I understand that the way the OP phrased this is, in general, complete asshattery, and I also understand that the vast majority of the forumgoers are Arma fans (their community lends itself to communicating actively, hence all the mods and stuff) but I stand in a unique position, here. Before standalone was ever even mentioned, I spent about two weeks convincing a variety of my friends to purchase DayZ (we frequently joke around that "arma 2 isn't a game, it's an engine" but I do understand that some people like it, I guess?) and in the end, standalone was announced. Putting aside my initial excitement, me and my friends are college students. That taxes heavily on an individual spendable income. I expected the initial purchase to last, at least, a couple years. I didn't buy a Madden game, after all. This evidently isn't the case, and we don't have our parents money to throw around willy nilly.

I know, legally they aren't required to do anything, but it still feels like a betrayal. Or, to be a bit more blunt, a kick in the nuts. Getting it for free WOULD be absurd.

However, a 'trade-in' refund for Arma 2 would not be so ridiculous. =\ The people that enjoy Arma 2 still can, and the people that don't can upgrade their copy of DayZ for a smaller cost.

Think of the investment as buying an outstanding game for less than the cost of the beer you bought to drink while playing it in college. That's how I have to justify it.

I hope you are trolling otherwise you are very misinformed and you'd be careful to make claims like you have as some people may think you're an idiot.

I hope you are trolling otherwise you are very misinformed and you'd be careful to make claims like you have as some people may think you're a douchebag.

My Two Cents

Although I'm more than happy to throw money at rocket for the standalone DayZ, I can see where people are coming from.

A lot of people did buy ARMA 2 strictly for DayZ - now at the time (and even now) it was an alpha mod and as such I felt it generally led people to believe the mod would either progress and get updated, or stay the way it was. No one, not even Rocket could have predicted he would be able to turn his mod into a proper game.

Here is where my problem lies.

From what I can see development has basically halted so they can work on proper DayZ and lets face it with the sheer ignorance of any information regarding an update/fixes to the game breaking bugs in 1.7.2.5 it is apparent that support for this 'mod' is going to basically stop while they are developing the full (or beta version if you will) of the actual game.

Yeah, it is really cool for Rocket that he is getting to develop his own game now, not to mention get a bugger load of money but he would not be where he is if it weren't for the thousands of people buying up ARMA 2 just to play this mod.

Asking for the game for free is way too much. I'm confident it will be well worth every penny.

Asking Rocket to actually keep the 'Alpha' version of his game playable, even if it is only fixing the graphical glitching and sorting out vehicle saving/inventories/tent inventories is not a lot to ask for. Especially considering this mod wouldn't be worth a penny to the company who have bought this out if it weren't for us thousands that have been playing so far - and as people have pointed out here, it's mainly these game breaking bugs that have caused it.

• Like 1

Guys, the thing is ... I can perfectly understand your arguments.

Arma 2 and dayz standalone are different games, but with the nature of the mod ( like naizarak said ), BI made much profit with it.

So you've seen Bohemia's books, and know exactly how much of the money they made back was profit? And you know what they're using that profit for?

Take a step back and realize just how ignorant you are about business, then tell me you should get to trade in your copies of Arma for DayZ standalone.

• Like 1

If you didn't play the DayZ mod and just the standalone you couldnt shake your cane and babble about the "old days." I remember this with Red Orchestra.

So you've seen Bohemia's books, and know exactly how much of the money they made back was profit? And you know what they're using that profit for?

Take a step back and realize just how ignorant you are about business, then tell me you should get to trade in your copies of Arma for DayZ standalone.

money is money and they've probably sold around a million copies of CO after dayz's launch. so if you're the smart one why don't you explain to everyone what happened to that massive revenue stream?

I think i'll go up to the dodge dealer where i bought my 2011 and tell them that since there is a newer version car out, they need to give it to me for free or at least half price. yeah, that will work......

• Like 1

How about this? If the standalone is released you give me a free copy and disable my

Arma 2 key? That way I own the game I actually paid for, and you guys don't have to

give me a free game, it's just a replacement.

Are you serious or just trolling?You paid for ARMA 2 no one gives two shits why you bought it, you bought ARMA 2 not DayZ, DayZ is a free mod, I dont saw anyone bitching about paying for CS (which was a mod for Half Life!!!!!!), so why do people do now

If I have to pay for the standalone once more, I guess I will just switch to WarZ.

WarZ looks better anyways.

Nobody knows for sure if the standalone will be better than the mod.

EDIT:

lol ... WarZ even has some rpg elements.

Then it's settled, if I HAVE to pay, I pay for WarZ.

Jesus Christ...dafuq did I just read

1.No one cares if you switch to WarZ, go to the WarZ forums and tell them your story

2.It looks better?You serious?You saw some photoshoped screenshots (NO VIDEO) and say its better than DayZ (WHICH IS PLAYABLE) there is not even a proof that WarShit even exists

3.You are curious that the standalone is going to be better than the mod, but have no problem spending 30€ on a game that doesnt even exist

4.You HAVE to pay for the standalone if you dont like it go play some F2P games, looks like you cant afford spending 25€ on Arma 2+ 10€ for DayZ, but 30€ for WarZ is no problem right?

5.Please now go to the WarZ forums were you can talk with your kind of people who believe everything if they see a few photos, If you want I post you a picture of a dragon eating salad in burger king, trust me its real!

6.Every reason why WarZ "is going to be so good" is invalid until there is actual gameplay

7.When did you pay for the stand alone last time?

• Like 1

money is money and they've probably sold around a million copies of CO after dayz's launch. so if you're the smart one why don't you explain to everyone what happened to that massive revenue stream?

Whats wrong with a company making money because someone wants to play a free mod for THEIR game?

Idiot.

Pointless thread. Rocket (or any member of the dev team) probably saw the title and said: "Like hell that would happen!" and never even bothered to read the thread.

• Like 2

Whats wrong with a company making money because someone wants to play a free mod for THEIR game?

Idiot.

Here's what's wrong with it:

Dayz is a product of BIS - it was made by their employees.

They can't just label it as a "free" mod only to require players to spend $20-30 to play it.

Then they can't release it as a proper standalone and double-charge those same customers.

Douche.

Well, EndlessNight, good morning, should we start all over again?

May I repeat everything once more?

Guys, the thing is ... I can perfectly understand your arguments.

Arma 2 and dayz standalone are different games, but with the nature of the mod ( like naizarak said ), BI made much profit with it.

While I have to admit that you guys are theoretically right, I simply don't see the problem.

Those people who enjoy arma 2, keep it and buy dayz standalone.

Those people who just want dayz trade their arma 2 for dayz standalone.

This way BI, would make a really nice offer for their customers and the community, everybody is happy.

Otherwise the customers are considering to buy another product.

I'm not saying they consider it because they don't get something for free, which they also have no right for, I'm saying they're considering it

because they have to pay anyways.

Simple as that, and if you think about it ... just a SECOND ... you know it's true.

As I said before:

It's not about boycott, it's just that the design of the alternative game solution is

even more appealing to me.

Dayz is a product of BIS - it was made by their employees.

They can't just label it as a "free" mod only to require players to spend $20-30 to play it.

Then they can't release it as a proper standalone and double-charge those same customers.

Exactly my thoughts. It may be possible that Rocket wasn't an employee when Dayz was release, but he is back in the boat, if he was ever out.

So instead double charging us they should at least give the little offer to just trade our arma 2 for the standalone, that's all I'm saying.

Edited by grasmann
  • Like 1

Well, EndlessNight, good morning, should we start all over again?

May I repeat everything once more?

Exactly my thoughts. It may be possible that Rocket wasn't an employee when Dayz was release, but he is back in the boat, if he was ever out.

So instead double charging us they should at least give the little offer to just trade our arma 2 for the standalone, that's all I'm saying.

Didnt really anser my questions/statements

Didnt really anser my questions/statements

There are no reasonable questions/statements to answer.

There are no reasonable questions/statements to answer.

Its hopeless talking to you, go and play WarZ, oh wait..

Well, ok, I will make you happy.

CS:

I got CS 1.6 for free with Halflife

I got CS:S for free with Halflife 2

WarZ:

Well, you don't really know much about WarZ, ok ...

What do you actually know about DayZ standalone?

Where is the gameplay?

Where are the screenshots?

And once more, don't focus on WarZ, just call it an "alternative game solution",

actually it doesn't even matter which game it is.

Edited by grasmann

Hey guys, I bought Half Life for Counterstrike, now I want CS:GO for free.

• Like 1

I hope you are trolling otherwise you are very misinformed and you'd be careful to make claims like you have as some people may think you're a douchebag.

Good reply, glad to see my point still stands.

-_-"

And people tell ME it's hopeless talking to ME

Edited by grasmann

Well, ok, I will make you happy.

CS:

I got CS 1.6 for free with Halflife

I got CS:S for free with Halflife 2

WarZ:

Well, you don't really know much about WarZ, ok ...

What do you actually know about DayZ standalone?

Where is the gameplay?

Where are the screenshots?

And once more, don't focus on WarZ, just call it an "alternative game solution",

actually it doesn't even matter which game it is.

Haha owned.

CS:GO is a console port, which is why most CS 1.6/CSS players aren't even buying it.

This discussion has lost it's point almost completely again XD.

CS:GO:

Yes ok HERE you are right, it's an own game.

BUT

The predecessor is not a half-playable mod with lots of errors and problems.

If we could just come back to the discussion again ... that would be cool.

The comparisons you come up with just don't work here.

Edited by grasmann

Haha owned.

CS:GO is a console port, which is why most CS 1.6/CSS players aren't even buying it.

Care to give some facts, sources, etc to why "most" people aren't buying CS:GO or are you making stupid outlandish claims like usual?

This discussion has lost it's point almost completely again XD.

CS:GO:

Yes ok HERE you are right, it's an own game.

BUT

The predecessor is not a half-playable mod with lots of errors and problems.

If we could just come back to the discussion again ... that would be cool.

The comparisons you come up with just don't work here.

There's nothing left to discuss. Some people don't agree with BIS' pricing scheme, while others don't really know what they're talking about. All I see is name-calling from the other side with no clear arguments. Done with this thread.

Care to give some facts, sources, etc to why "most" people aren't buying CS:GO or are you making stupid outlandish claims like usual?

sources: my experience from CS1.6, CSS, CS:GO, and counterstrike forums. general consensus is that CS:GO is just a graphics overhaul and mainly targeted at consoles. doesn't help that they broke the balance of the game either.

now back to dayz.