Obsolescence

M107/AS50 and Skill; do they go with one another?

What is your opinion of the M107/AS50  

168 members have voted

1. 1. I consider sniping with an M107/AS50 to be...

• A legitimate, skillful display of sniping prowess.
    • About the same as the other sniper rifles in terms of skillfulness to use.
    • A point-and-click adventure game where the only option is "use bullet on man."
  2. 2. How prevalent would you prefer the M107/AS50 be?

• I'd like for it's prevalence to remain unchanged.
    • I'd prefer if it was much more rare.
    • I'd prefer if it was removed entirely.

Just because the weapons are powerful, doesn't mean they aren't difficult to use. I say that if you can find them, and know how to properly use them, then more power to you.

AMEN BRO BCUZ ANTI-MATERIEL RIFLES R ONLY 4 SHOT TANK IN IRL

.....ohwait.

yeah... I don't make much sense sometimes.

The .50 Cals are only common because of duping. Lose one? Just shrug it off, you can probably find a tent full of em'.

If you have a range finder, shooting a target is easy.

If you don't have a rangefinder, and have something other than a CZ550, calculating distance is an easy formula away, the Mil dots in the DMR scope also roughly equal a certain range. The only real advanage the .50 Cals have over the others, is the fact that they can zero at a farther range. If you're shooting someone a Kilometer away, you might be overkilling it a bit right there.

So they're about eqaul. Alt-F4 is Alt-F4, shouldnt factor in at all.

But an AS50 or M107 only requires an extremity hit to kill, and a person's head is 1/6th the height of their body. This makes a one-shot kill by an AS50 or M107 at least 6 times (a pretty conservative measurement) as easy as any other scoped weapon within its effective range. So even at 1200 meters, where the human silhouette would be 1/2 as large as the human silhouette at 800 meters, a kill on a stationary target with an AS50 or M107 is still more than 3 times as easy than one with, for example, a DMR at 2/3rds the distance.

Furthermore, a moving target at 1200 meters only appears 2/3rds as fast as a moving target at 800 (you can do this experiment at home...close one eye, focus on a point directly in front of you, and hold two objects in your hands, one directly in front of the other with the tucked knuckles of one hand touching the back of the other hand...then move both hands together back and forth on a plane...notice how the object in front seems to move farther than the object behind it even if your hands never break contact). Add that in and one-shotting someone running from 1200 meters with the M107 or AS50 is 5 times as easy as one-shotting someone running with, say, the DMR from 800 meters.

So it's 5 times as easy to one-shot a moving target with an AS50 and M107 at 1200 meters as it is to one-shot a moving target with a DMR at 800 meters.

The M107 is five times as powerful as a shotgun. The AS50 is 30 times as powerful. So, yeah, this...times 5.

Sorry, but these guns are a joke.

congrats youve done the math behind it, u should post vids of u killing someone running at 1200m with as50 / m107 since its so easy.

i personally dont have a problem with these guns being stronger, most people I see dont have full hp and because of that any other sniper will 1 shot a majority of the time anyway from my experience.

plus if you play smart and dont sprint across open fields and you stick to tree lines and other forms of cover alot of people wont hit you first shot and if u watch ur surroundings you can normally work out where they shot from and then take action accordingly

• Like 2

Ah, reality. In reality you have to hump a 30 pound rifle and the cartridges weigh a shit-ton. In real life you could carry a shotgun, a sniper rifle, three or four handguns, and an assault rifle all strapped to your back with a sack full of ammo for the same weight.

Ah, reality. So we're talking about reality. In reality, a .50 caliber rifle round makes a 1/2 inch hole through someone's arm. In this game, it disintegrates them completely.

Nobody carries 3 or 4 handguns. And one box of my AR-15 ammo weighs about 30 lbs...so if you are talking reality, no, you could not carry all those guns and ammunition for the same weight. Lol.

Please show me where a half inch hole in an arm is based in reality. In reality, if it hit you in the arm, you would lose said arm.

• Like 1

Why is everyone bitching about the .50 cals? The bigger problem is the "wallhack gun" - the L85 Thermal. THIS gun requires no skill. You see your enemies through thickest darkness and hiding under trees or using the surrounding nearly gives you no cover. When I have a L85 no one in my vicinity is secure. THIS gun should be removed from the game. A sniper can be avoided if you move carefully, but a person with a L85 who knows what he/she is doing you have no chance to get away. At least going to cover is senseless.

In all the posts I've read on this topic not once have I heard a single valid reason why these weapons should remain in the game, when I ask for a reason the question is avoided and the discussion changes to how realistic the 50cal damage model is.

All I can think is dayz is full of FPS noobs.

Why is everyone bitching about the .50 cals? The bigger problem is the "wallhack gun" - the L85 Thermal. THIS gun requires no skill. You see your enemies through thickest darkness and hiding under trees or using the surrounding nearly gives you no cover. When I have a L85 no one in my vicinity is secure. THIS gun should be removed from the game. A sniper can be avoided if you move carefully, but a person with a L85 who knows what he/she is doing you have no chance to get away. At least going to cover is senseless.

Another noob cannon.

I love how within every community, for every game, there always has to be some weapon looked down on and classified as having "no skill" to use, as if it's a bad thing to have a weapon that actually works well in an FPS shooter environment. Here it's the M107/AS50, on BF3/BFBC2 it's the USAS-12, on TF2 it's the Huntsman/Sticky Launcher.

Actually there was no issue in BC2 with the USAS12 and the only problem with that weapon in BF3 was the frag rounds, complaints there were completely justified.

I found 2 AS50s at a helicopter crash yesterday actually, had an M107 before that as well.

I do agree that they take a lot less skill to use, especially when I seem to have a lot more trouble finding SVD camos and DMRs.

Personally though, I think the SVD, M24 and DMR need a buff. They should at least knock someone over in one shot. I don't know how many times I've hit someone with my SVD just for them to get up and run away

If you get sniped by someone using an AS50, he had more skill than you

He ... hehehe ... ha har HAR!

... sure, you can avoid the crosshairs by using every cover ... but there is no single encounter, where the AS50-Guy proves me his skill.

It was more like: "OH MY GOSH!!! THESE SNEAKY SURVI HAVE ENTERN MY PRO-5N1P3R-CAVE ... better i try to quickscope him with my powahfull CoD-Skillzzzzz!

... OH NOES, his AKM tearing my anus apart! I can´t hit em with my SECOND silencend militarygrade assaultrifle! OH, the PAIN!!! ... *gasph*"

Seriously ... there are some real snipers and bandits, they know how to use that gun with all his benefits ... but 98% of the users are griefers or "I am so badass"-Kids. Don´t misunderstand me, i like the thrill of the Sniper-Terror in Citys and open range ... and i like good bandits ... but i don´t like "Bandits" with kill-scores filled with random-kills and new spawns.

The 50.cals are legit ... but they should rare, like a can of tasty mountain dew!

He ... hehehe ... ha har HAR!

... sure, you can avoid the crosshairs by using every cover ... but there is no single encounter, where the AS50-Guy proves me his skill.

Pulling a quote out of context, way to go!

The point was that everyone who kills you has more skill than you do - which weapon he uses is irrelevant as long as it's not a hacked AS50TWS

If you get shot in DayZ then it's because YOU fucked up, not because someone else used a "weapon with a low skill requirement"

A weapon is a tool, you use the right tool depending on the situation

And if you get sniped in Elektro then you might wanna reconsider not going to Elektro without utilizing proper counter sniper tactics

Or maybe don't go to Elektro at all....geez

It was more like: "OH MY GOSH!!! THESE SNEAKY SURVI HAVE ENTERN MY PRO-5N1P3R-CAVE ... better i try to quickscope him with my powahfull CoD-Skillzzzzz!

Implying that everyone who uses a .50cal is camping in a pro-5n1p3r-cave and not just taking it along for long range engagements

but i don´t like "Bandits" with kill-scores filled with random-kills and new spawns.

There's basically nothing you can do about it

And removing .50cal rifles to stop some griefing retards won't actually stop those griefing retards

It will only force them to use other weapons....in the end they will still kill new spawns and random people

One question:

What's so horrible on sniping new spawns?

Is a flashlight and a bandage worth all the rage?

I don't shoot them, but I don't care about people shooting them either

If they want to waste ammo just to let them respawn somewhere else....their choice

The 50.cals are legit ... but they should rare, like a can of tasty mountain dew!

Which would be the case if it wasn't for the wanted and unwanted duping of gear through various loopholes

But you won't fix duping by removing the AS50+M107

Edited by Hawk24

anti-material rifles aren't needed as its not like your trying to shoot tanks in DayZ or anything, A normal sniper is enough against normal vehicles

they're not used on tanks. the bullet can't exactly penetrate a tank's armor, they're used on lightly armored vehicles and equipment. they are effective ways of stopping vehicles in dayz, rather than just emptying magazines at them

• Like 1

they're not used on tanks. the bullet can't exactly penetrate a tank's armor, they're used on lightly armored vehicles and equipment. they are effective ways of stopping vehicles in dayz, rather than just emptying magazines at them

You mean OHK on civilian transports, it's just as bad as shooting unarmed survivors.

• Like 1

50 cal sniper rifles are extremely heavy, too loud, have too high recoil. One cannot just stand and fire with it IRL.

IMHO, 50Cals are imba. I now run with DMR + M14 or SVD + M4A1-silenced, but never take AS50.

• Like 1

I like iron sighted single shot bolt action rifles, you can't deny skill there. There is a bit of disparity between some of the high end sniper rifles and every other weapon in the game. Id rather see the likes of the AS50/M107 removed or to fill in that gap between these with other weapons that aren't so weak. Honestly though, the AS50 is game breakingly OP right now.

Im just fine with these weps being in game, rarely use them any more since they r too easy to use and it makes shootouts boring...

But they should take the backpack slot as an rpg does!

Lets be honest... these rifles are huge and heavy...

This way you could take a really powerful sniper but you would have to sacrifice ALOT of space for carrying gear and food and so on, with pretty much makes team play mandatory to use these weapons! Just as in real life =)

• Like 2

<br />Ah, reality.  In reality you have to hump a 30 pound rifle and the cartridges weigh a shit-ton.  In real life you could carry a shotgun, a sniper rifle, three or four handguns, and an assault rifle all strapped to your back with a sack full of ammo for the same weight.<br /><br />Ah, reality.  So we're talking about reality.  In reality, a .50 caliber rifle round makes a 1/2 inch hole through someone's arm.  In this game, it disintegrates them completely.<br /><br />Ah, reality.  In reality, firing a .50 caliber rifle would rock you back on your heels and take about 10 seconds to sight while standing.<br /><br />In reality, there are less than 1,000 trained snipers in the military.  But in TF2, they average about 10% of your typical squad.  Even more than that in Battlefield.<br /><br /><a href='<a href='<a href='<a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia....lse_equivalence</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://en.wikipedia....lse_equivalence</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia....equivalence</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='<a href='http://en.wikipedia....lse_equivalence</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia....equivalence</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://en.wikipedia....equivalence</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia....valence</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>False equivalence</a>.

Where have you found these facts??? Less than a thousand?? Over 10 times a year the Army produces 30-40 new snipers.  That's just Army, this does not include the Navy, Coast Guard and Marines. Also not including graduates of the ASOC SOTIC classes. A half inch hole??? Really buddy? If you get hit by a .50 round from the M107 in the foot your leg is coming off. If you get hit in the hand, you'll be down an arm.<br /><br />

Edited by McAlpine

tl;dr

another thread about an elitest retard who thinks using inefficient guns to get 20% kill rates makes him good

Edited by Buffjesus

"I'd wager to say that the substitution of the AS50 and the M107 with the KSVK would be a sort of middle-ground compromise between the players that are for/against the removal of .50 cals.

The KSVK is bolt action, and I believe it only has 5 rounds per clip. It also fits into the post-Soviet environment of Chernarus much better than either of the other .50 caliber sniper rifles. On the other hand, it uses the same type of scope as the SVD, which makes it extremely easy to use if you know how to use the built-in rangefinder."

Edited by black people

"I'd wager to say that the substitution of the AS50 and the M107 with the KSVK would be a sort of middle-ground compromise between the players that are for/against the removal of .50 cals.

The KSVK is bolt action, and I believe it only has 5 rounds per clip. It also fits into the post-Soviet environment of Chernarus much better than either of the other .50 caliber sniper rifles. On the other hand, it uses the same type of scope as the SVD, which makes it extremely easy to use if you know how to use the built-in rangefinder."

The PSO scope kind of sucks past 500-600m though.

A half inch hole??? Really buddy? If you get hit by a .50 round from the M107 in the foot your leg is coming off. If you get hit in the hand, you'll be down an arm.

No, that's not how it works. A supersonic round is "just" going to punch through your foot. It isn't traveling slow enough (nor have enough weight) to snag on your foot and tear your leg off, or however you think that happens. Sorry to break it to you, but Rambo isn't an accurate depiction of what a .50 cal round does.

Im not basing this off of rambo. I am basing this on knowledge of actually attending the USASS in Ft Benning and being in a Recon Section for the last 5 years of my military career. I can promise you a hit to the extremity will more than likely amputate it. Not always, but the majority of the time.

Edited by McAlpine

Anyone who says that using the AS50 or M107 is just as easy as using the other snipers, such as the DMR, have obviously never fired one of the other sniper rifles in the game before. I got my first AS50 a few days back after killing another sniper in my territory for it, but ended up switching back to the DMR just because I couldn't get any satisfaction from it. It takes almost no skill at all to just point and click with the proper zeroing on one of those. Having to aim half a screen higher and still getting a headshot from a DMR though, that is satisfying.

As for rarity, I think they would be plenty rare if it wasn't for people hacking and duping the items like crazy. Get rid of those two, and I think then we could start talking about how rare the loot spawns themselves usually are. As it is, every CoD script kiddie is introducing dozens of these rifles, and entire inventories woth of ammo, every week. Given that most of them suck with the weapons, they end up dying a lot too which means that pretty much every player has access to them.

Sniping, with or without 50 cals is easy. This is how sniping in DayZ should be.

Edited by Sakeoe