Obsolescence

M107/AS50 and Skill; do they go with one another?

What is your opinion of the M107/AS50  

168 members have voted

1. 1. I consider sniping with an M107/AS50 to be...

• A legitimate, skillful display of sniping prowess.
    • About the same as the other sniper rifles in terms of skillfulness to use.
    • A point-and-click adventure game where the only option is "use bullet on man."
  2. 2. How prevalent would you prefer the M107/AS50 be?

• I'd like for it's prevalence to remain unchanged.
    • I'd prefer if it was much more rare.
    • I'd prefer if it was removed entirely.

Since it is the only fix for Alt+F4 until they find some way to fix it, its pretty much the only weapon to use if you want to kill someone

The shots from these weapons require skill, my group found over six sniper rifles yesterday, two .50 cals at a heli, an M107 at the NWAF, and three DMR in some tents. I am not really a sniper due to lacking patience and not really liking the idea of camping, but I went out and tried anyways with the M107 and found it is not as easy as it looks. I was trying to hit someone on a bike and barely missed my first shot, then my range got messed up and kept missing. I missed the next survivor as well with a shot but my buddy took him down, it was not until the third target that I actually brought someone down. Sure most never knew where I was shooting from and none of the players looked very geared up, but it still took some skill, patience, and risk to shoot these players. Sucks to be them but we have all been sniped before.

Anyone want to try this? Download the shooting range mission from armaholic. Set your target test as follows.

Range = 1000 m

Targets = 10

Movement = random

Duration = 320 seconds

You can use either AS50 or M107. Fraps and post results.

My predictions are we will see the AS50 yield higher scores than the M107. I will try and post one when I get home tonight, but I also freely admit to being a lousy shot!

Edit: uploading to youtube now. 1000m, 120 seconds, random movement on target. 2 hours left, will post video tomo morning.

Edited by OhShitSarge

I was hoping somebody would call him out on his BS....50cal only doing a 1/2 hole is just lol. Go watch Smoking Aces and watch the end where the black assassin girl starts UNLOADING her .50cal on the FBI agents. Those bitches start FLYING. You limbs would be blown off from a .50cal no problem. Get hit in the stomach? say bye bye to your lower half and if you don't lose that, say goodbye to your intestines, stomach, kidneys, etc etc..Either way you are dead....1/2 hole..jackass

And I Don't feel like reading all the pages, but the as50 is still a rare ass gun. i promise you if you try to find a legit as50 on a helicopter, you will notice nobody has one except a small %. HOPEFULLY when the standalone comes out, it will be mostly bug free at least with the bugs like duping..Here's hoping!

I liked how you used Hollywood as proof the .50 cal makes big holes in people.

• Like 1

I liked how you used Hollywood as proof the .50 cal makes big holes in people.

Noticed that too, lots of people do not understand physics apparently. Unless the recoil shot you across the room flying then the hit will not send people flying. As far as the damage a .50 cal does, yea you are pretty much dead or completely incapacitated unless they hit you in the foot (even then you will not get that foot back).

The only reason they are so abundant is because of hackers. If all of the AS50s and M107s in the game were legitimate, only the very best snipers would have them (either from scalping another sniper and claiming his gun or by finding one and actually retaining it for more than a day, thus showing you are a capable player), they wouldn't be considered a problem.

Aww, come on. I was hoping some of you "point and click adventure" guys would take the challenge in the video above. Need a larger group to empirically prove this shit. Science, bitches!

The 50. cal's should be nerfed in a way it won't loose its 1 shot 1 kill manner, because in real life you'd die to a 50. cal bullet no matter where it hits you, other then in your fingers or toes. It tears apart limbs.

I'd nerf them in the following way:

1) Make running with a fifty cal on your back way slower and disable unlimited running + increase the drop on the water bar.

2) Make them inaccurate while fired from a standing or crouching position. Only prone (with bipods) should be the way this rifle is fired. Seriously no one could fire this heavy ass sniper from a standing or crouching position while hitting a target at 500m+ distance.

Simple as that.