Sign in to follow this  
Yatagan

Rocket: Please make some things clear to newcomers.

I have something that I think needs to be done immediately, by the developement team, and that is making a few facts about DayZ known and VERY obvious and in your face before you buy Arma II and get Dayz. These are things that I myself didn't figure out until I spent quite a bit of time on the forums, and they're really 'falsely advertised' because nowhere are they made clear or stated in an easy to find manner for all newcomers.

The two things are: The fact that Dayz is in Alpha, incredibly buggy, broke, and changed constantly. Along with the fact that when it goes standalone we will need to pay again. Let me elaborate.

Alpha: The only warning we get about the game being in alpha when going to download it the first time, is the little tag on the download button that says 'Alpha Version'. It's in a weird black font, doesn't draw the eye, and isn't clear. Well, so? What does that mean? Alpha can mean dramatically different things for mods, retail games, and other developement cycles. It needs to be made very clear on the front page that this mod is in Alpha. It's being worked on. It has very few unique features, and what has been added is buggy, and altered constantly. It's not a stable completed mod in any way, and you are going to face a lot of developement related issues.

Payment: Also NOWHERE does it say that the mod is soon going standalone, and that that will require a new purchase entirely. I think this is the biggest negative of the entire thing. It needs to VERY clearly say this somewhere.

I believe if these two things are made clear it will benefit us (the players that are testing), Rocket and the Dev team, and the potential customers (because frankly they are just BI customers that will potentially make a purchase they believe will give them certain rights) alike. It will turn down a portion of people who would naysay at the fact that they game is buggy. It will turn down a portion of people who will complain about having to make another purchase. It will turn down a portion of people who want a completed game with a full experience. What does that mean? Well it's not all bad. It will free up a lot of space on the forums (and ingame) for serious people who know what they're dealing with. It will allow Rocket and the team a far more cohesive effort with the community.

I think these two things need to made BRUTALLY clear on the front page of the mods website. Frankly, as it stands right now it advertises the mod as some polished complete wonderous experience of nothing but fun, danger, excitement and adventure. And while it's slowly getting there, right now the mod is basically anything but.

I'm sure I'll get the load of 'hardcore' DayZ fans in here to tell me to QQ more and fuck off, but these things need to be said. I'm not complaining about either of these things, I'm complaining about how they're presented. (Rather, the fact that they aren't, at all)

Frankly I feel somewhat lied too. I got this with very little knowledge (as most probably do), and I didn't know I would need to pay again (I don't have a lot of money to throw around), and that it was so buggy and broken and WIP. Luckily for me I'm trying to become a game developer, so I'm okay with working in an Alpha version game mod. However a LOT of my friends are incredibly mad about buying Arma 2 for DayZ, and it just made me think, Rocket really falsely advertises the mod. I've got nothing against him, I think this is an amazing idea and it will go places, but as it stands the mods website is just blatantly lying to people to draw in as many as it possibly can, and it needs to stop.

• Like 1

if you read about DAYZ from ***ANY*** gaming review site, all that information would be in the same post.

if you came here yourself, well... the information isnt hidden by any means, if you werent part of this "instant gratification" society you would read everything including that hard to read black text.

if you had a friend tell you about the game, kill them ingame.

4 months or so until standalone, thats what 7.50 a month unless you were smart and got it for $20 if you shopped around, well worth the money man...

(EDIT or is your argument the fact you bought a fully functioning game first, game to the mod site, and then got all hissy because a released game mentioned nothing about a seperate mod?)

Edited by Charb

The OP has a point. Many players do not even read the forums. Nor do they partake in looking at game reviews and such. I think that the best, easiest way to display the message of the upcoming standalone would be to put it in a message during the loading screen when entering a server. This way, nobody who plays the mod will be stuck playing it without knowledge of the standalone.

However, I do not think the message of telling people it is alpha is that important. Anyone who uses the Six Launcher knows that it is a mod-in-progress because it shows the version of the game when picking a server. Anyone who doesn't use Six Launcher has played the game long enough to know.

The mod will continue alongside the standalone. And since it will be opened up for others to create and modify, who knows how it will evolve. Exciting times ahead.

Take a page from Cortex Command. The game has a blurb during startup that the game is unfinished and potentially buggy, and it's had some fucked builds in the past; can't start the game, having to root around through .ini files fucked. Nobody begrudges them, save the few self-entitled whiners that expect devs to work 24/7. People paid real money dollars for the unfinished game instead of downloading a free mod (yes, that pricing model existed before Minecraft) and the community isn't even a fraction as bile-spewing as DayZ.

Edited by _Gunslinger_

Not trying to be rude, but not taking the time to read other posts to get the information is really not an excuse.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/64335-dayz-standalone-confirmed/ Info on standalone, easy to find.

As far as it being an alpha version. It is currently just a mod. You have to buy another game to play it, it is kinda of obvious.

Not trying to be rude, but not taking the time to read other posts to get the information is really not an excuse.

http://dayzmod.com/f...lone-confirmed/ Info on standalone, easy to find.

As far as it being an alpha version. It is currently just a mod. You have to buy another game to play it, it is kinda of obvious.

Again, not. That's in the forum, and entirely seperate section of the website. It's unrealistic to expect every single person considering buying it to looking through the entire forum for the fact threads and read those.

As for the other comments, no, not all interviews mention these things. Some later ones may mention the standalone thing.

He needs to make it UNMISSABLE, these facts. That would benefit absolutely everyone involved. I don't know why you guys are against the idea. You're basically saying, "No, I want more people to buy the game, regret it, then bitch and slow the suggestion and community aspect of this mod." Why would you possibly want that?

It is just a matter of doing a little research. I read reviews of any game I buy into as I prefer to not waste money on bad ones. Most forums have announcement threads chalk full of info, and most reviews tend to give out a lot of the info needed. Youtube and other social media does this as well.

If you look at the main webpage of the Mod site (to the left side) you see where it says it is an Alpha as well as the version, here http://www.dayzmod.com/?About.

I respect your opinion, but the information is there. If someone does not want to spend a few mins or so looking for it, they have much bigger problems facing them. The forums are designed well, and the topics easy enough to find, the main page as well. Between the two links I have posted you can see the mod is an alpha (main page), and that the standalone is a separate product (Announcements & Info), both very common areas you find on most sites.

As it is anyone who installs and plays it knows it is just a mod of the ARMA 2 game. It is not official, just one of many free mods. Why would you get a free version of a game just because you bought a mod for another game?

I look forward to shelling out some cash to support the standalone as I have done for the mod. I bought 4 copies of ARMA 2 CO for myself and some friends to play Dayz. I will do the same when the standalone comes out as well.

Edited by katniss