Wüstenfuchs (DayZ)

Voice & Text Communication

I cant use the side chat channel. The only ones I can choose from in all servers are direct, vehicle and group. Any reason? Is there some button I may have pushed or anything like that?

It's explained in the first post:

Removal of global channels

Rocket's plan has always been to remove the global channels, leaving only the direct communication channel so you can talk to nearby players. However, direct communication channel was bugged and not reliable in ArmA 2 v1.60. It has since been fixed in ArmA 2 beta build 93040. Ability to remove the channels has been added in beta build 93398.

Global, side and command channels have already been removed in latest version of DayZ mission (used by a lot of servers). However, this effect applies only to those who are using the ArmA 2 beta patch. Those who are not using the beta patch can still access these channels. If you want to take full advantage of the working direct communication and disabled global channels, you should join a server that requires every joiner to have the latest beta patch. You can see the required version in the lower right corner of your server browser.

TL;DR - If you are using beta patch, join only servers that require beta patch.

I'm going to seriously miss the Side Channel. Not only does it allow for long-range diplomacy / mind games, but it also serves a very important use for newbies - FAQ's.

Lots of times, I've seen someone ask questions about gameplay in the side channel, and invariably a host of people supply helpful answers, hints, or amusing discussion. I, for one, asked plenty of questions when I was learning the ropes, and without side chat, a lot of people are going to find that learning curve that much steeper.

~ Ferrard

I'm going to seriously miss the Side Channel. Not only does it allow for long-range diplomacy / mind games' date=' but it also serves a [i']very important use for newbies - FAQ's.

Lots of times, I've seen someone ask questions about gameplay in the side channel, and invariably a host of people supply helpful answers, hints, or amusing discussion. I, for one, asked plenty of questions when I was learning the ropes, and without side chat, a lot of people are going to find that learning curve that much steeper.

~ Ferrard

I'd love to run around the coast educating people

The problem is I have a tent now that my friends depend on :(

I'm going to seriously miss the Side Channel. Not only does it allow for long-range diplomacy / mind games' date=' but it also serves a [i']very important use for newbies - FAQ's.

I kind of liked to chat with people through side channel sometimes too, especially helping the new joiners. On the other hand, being able to communicate globally makes the game feel less "scary" and the constant global/side spam decreases the immersion.

Because of the improved immersion, I think removing the global channels is right decision. Now you have to actually meet people before you can talk with them. If we can somehow stop this kill-on-sight madness, there could actually be strangers meeting up, talking through direct communication, forming groups in-game, etc.

I have a problem with side/global channel, as of yesterday I cannot access these channels even when they are enabled on the server and I see others using them.

I have mod version 1.7.0 and beta build 93616

I realise this is being phased out but in the mean time I would like to be able to use side channel when others are doing so... people assume that all can use it so when I don't respond in side channel people assume I'm hostile and start shooting at me!!

Also as mentioned earlier in the thread I think having a radio equipment item that allows the use of global chat would be a very good idea.

I have the same problem. Cannot access side/global and see others using them. I wonder if it's the Arma Beta patch that's doing it.

it must be the new mission file, i've been using the same beta build since I started playing on friday.

Odd thing is, these are beta only servers i'm playing on....

Edit: No scratch that, they are beta servers but not all require beta, I guess that's the answer then, the new mission file must remove side channel for beta players only. Though I guess we'll all be beta players on the next mod version.

Gosh if only we had ACRE with DayZ. At least actually using it and being in Teamspeak could be optional.

Best feature to ever be implemented. I have run into almost 7 people since global was scrapped and not one tried to kill me. Bandits are getting lonely, paranoid survivors are too and its showing. I love it. Has anyone else seen the change to culture?

Can the voice and text chat be separated? Voice for Direct, and Text for Side? People can lolspam the text if they want, or you can ignore it if you're in voice range.

I don't know if my post is off topic but I have a question:

Why more and more servers are completely removing anything related to direct voice chat? It massively useful for obvious reasons. Some may think that it causes server lag and things like that but, even with the highest coded, I never had a single problem nor the server.

Would be very interesting if we could find radios which would allow for further "transmission" distance.

Not sure how hard it would be to implement it in ArmA2.

I like the idea of finding a radio and whovever else has a radio can be chatted to in the Side/Global channel

also what direct chat really needs is the ability to scroll back to see what has been said before. But yes, getting rid of side will make a lot of noobs feel very very lonely. And it will take them weeks to pick up backpacks. doesnt matter though, they'll find the forums.

Also the lonelyness of bandits and no ability to gloat or be the tough guy in chat will probably increase interaction again. text range needs to be at least 100 meters, same goes for voip.

Can the voice and text chat be separated? Voice for Direct' date=' and Text for Side? People can lolspam the text if they want, or you can ignore it if you're in voice range.

[/quote']

Some form of global chat is still useful for players, since we're all sitting in front of a keyboard with an unreliable and non-standard computer running alpha software attached to it. Problems are still plentiful and benefit from on-the-spot discussion.

Would it be possible to disable voice over side chat, and pop a PDA as a special tool item in a survivor's inventory that allows basic text chat?

When you don't want to see side chat, turn it off by right clicking the PDA in your inventory. You'll still have text and voice available in direct comms for dealing with close encounters, and will no longer have to put up with all that annoying irrelevant text if you don't care for it.

I'd like to see PDAs introduced for other reasons, but I'll make a separate thread in the suggestions forum for that. And by all means implement a findable radio item for long-range voice communications as I've heard that's on the backburner - I've seen it suggested a few times on the forum and (oh the irony) in side chat.

I'm going to seriously miss the Side Channel. Not only does it allow for long-range diplomacy / mind games' date=' but it also serves a very important use for newbies - FAQ's.[/quote']

FAQs indeed. I've helped new players anytime I can, and hoped that being able to quickly answer technical misunderstandings ingame and provide some quick basic orientation would take a little pressure off the forum and give new players a little leeway while they get to grips with the engine, but that'll be gone now.

I can see where we're going with direct comms only, but that currently doesn't help the guy in Kamenka whose screen has gone completely dark, or can't pick up his pack, or doesn't know what key to press for some function or other.

I've also rather enjoyed those little blue side chat exchanges, with the occasional followup of expletives in green chat from the guy who picked the wrong guy to meet with. A little Schadenfreude from time to time surely brightened up my DayZ and I know it was me with the green text often enough.

Theoretically a new player will be able to run towards to someone and just plain ask them for help over direct comms once it's working for everyone - something I'm guessing is coming when 1.7.1 drops and the OA beta is required by everyone. It's too much of a crapshoot at the moment whether they can even hear you, which is a bit frustrating, and the growing trend seems to be to shoot anyone who doesn't reply immediately (or is not in your teamspeak/friendlist/livingroom). Personally I'm inclined to just run away but that's because I'm an incurable coward who's become too accustomed to living after learning from one too many soulless and conversationless enounters with "friendly" players ;)

Really enjoying DayZ in Alpha so far, so here's hoping for reliable direct voice in a future update and beyond.

Why more and more servers are completely removing anything related to direct voice chat? It massively useful for obvious reasons. Some may think that it causes server lag and things like that but' date=' even with the highest coded, I never had a single problem nor the server.[/quote']

What do you mean by servers removing anything related to direct voice chat? Direct chat is built-in to the game, servers don't have an option to remove it.

sorry didn't find it' date=' but do zeds hear my direct com, do they get attracted by talking?[/quote']

On direct? No

Interesting fact from another thread:

Additional communication means occur in 1.8 going forward' date=' but you have to find them.[/quote']

I guess we will be getting radios.

Well, i understand the idea behind the removal of those global channels. Yes it makes the game more realistic and brings a more brutal survival experience ingame.

But i'm not a fan. I think the side channel brings some "animations" in the game. Peoples telling jokes, being scared to death or telling stories about their last bandit kill.

I like to use the side channel for helping peoples on the server. A lot of guys are new (and a lot has never play Arma). So side-channel is the only way to help them or the one who have some issues with a command or don't know how to do something. Plus, it really helps for making friends/groups along the road, because using the direct-communication with a guy quite far just don't work very well (or i have to scream in my mic... yeah not a good idea since i always play when it's night at home lol), and a lot of players don't have a mic anyway and shoot you on sight without responding...

I think we should have the possibility to use or not the side-channel ingame (an option in the menu... an item just for the text-chat like others say in the topic: a radio or i don't know something we can use to communicate). Pro-gamers who don't want to be disturb with text-chat turn it off, the others use it happily and everyone's happy lol

Just my 2cents... And sorry if i write like a retard, English isn't my native language :)

Removing Side and Global is fine but we NEED join messages. It is one of the MAIN current things that has the chance of

A) Naming and shaming the disconnectors/Server hoppers.

B) Alerting guys that it is happening so they can see him reconnecting.

Without them they can hop around freely. So until there are better measures(Better than 5 seconds after disconnect) in place having join messages is important.

i have yet to get to a server without sometype of chat (guess side chat is the new global)... cant wait till it is implemented.

i think it is a good idea considering i can shout when i approach a city and hopefully get a response... and i'll try several times... but without one, i'm firing upon sight :)