Wüstenfuchs (DayZ)

Voice & Text Communication

i cant find side chat channel i think its bugged or something

"Removal of global channels" in first post explains it. You asked over there and got the correct answer :rolleyes:

There is no more side chat in Dayz with the latest ARMA2OA beta. You may temporarily re-enable it by rolling back to a previous beta. Try beta 93348 or earlier.

Don't get too fond of it - it's most likely gone for good when 1.7.1 is out and direct comms is working, which could be any day now.

Pray for PDAs, radios, cellphones, smoke signals and semaphore flags in a later update.

Edit:. Can confirm that both side text and direct voice comms are working in beta 93160.

i cant find side chat channel i think its bugged or something

There is no more side chat in Dayz with the latest ARMA2OA beta.

how come i've seen people talking in side channel, on the latest beta servers. Whilst im unable to, and my brother on the same server can. Hmm?

Fair enough if the dev team have chosen to disable it, but people are still able to type, they ask me who is that are you friendly, i cant answer...

how come i've seen people talking in side channel' date=' on the latest beta servers. Whilst im unable to, and my brother on the same server can. Hmm?[/quote']

You must have joined a server that does not require beta from other joiners. It's all explained in the first post of this thread.

If you are using a beta patch, it is recommended to join only servers that require beta patch from all joiners. You can see the required build version on the lower right corner of the server browser.

What do you mean by servers removing anything related to direct voice chat? Direct chat is built-in to the game' date=' servers don't have an option to remove it.

[/quote']

There are servers (I'll try to report them when it occurs) where the direct communication voice chat is simply not working; I always play with two friends of mine and it happens that direct voice chat is completely absent (text chat working thouh), we press the button but no one can hear the voice even if we can see the mouth moving.

There are servers (I'll try to report them when it occurs) where the direct communication voice chat is simply not working; I always play with two friends of mine and it happens that direct voice chat is completely absent (text chat working thouh)' date=' we press the button but no one can hear the voice even if we can see the mouth moving.[/quote']

Hmm maybe those servers have set disableVoN = 1; in the config. That setting would disable voice from all channels though. I'm not sure if server admins are allowed to do that on DayZ servers, probably not.

how come i've seen people talking in side channel' date=' on the latest beta servers. Whilst im unable to, and my brother on the same server can. Hmm?[/quote']

You must have joined a server that does not require beta from other joiners. It's all explained in the first post of this thread.

If you are using a beta patch, it is recommended to join only servers that require beta patch from all joiners. You can see the required build version on the lower right corner of the server browser.

It does say the server requires the latest beta in the server name,it just says 1.60 in both fields but other servers like you said are showing beta versions.

So that means that it can accept older beta patches? which is why some people are able to talk.

It does say the server requires the latest beta in the server name' date='it just says 1.60 in both fields but other servers like you said are showing beta versions.

So that means that it can accept older beta patches? which is why some people are able to talk.[/quote']

Yes, if the server name says that beta patch is required, but on the lower right corner it says 1.60 (without the beta build number), the text in the name is incorrect.

In case like that, people are able to join without beta patch.

Question - how do I know what beta patch I'm running - I have Worrom's Day Z Mod Updater v1.45... and I check for updates prior to playing, but where can I find which one I'm on???

I'd like to know considering I would like to be on 93398 for Direct Chat to be working.

Thanks...

When you start the game, and are in the main menu, version is listed on the lower right corner of the screen.

Anything newer than 93040 will have direct communication working. Latest build right now is 93701.

Question - how do I know what beta patch I'm running - I have Worrom's Day Z Mod Updater v1.45... and I check for updates prior to playing' date=' but where can I find which one I'm on?

[/quote']

Look on the main menu screen on the right side, in the corner it gives the version number followed by the beta build number, for example 1.60.33701. You'll also see "Beta" and "Expansion" in the upper corner next to "@Dayz".

Again, for those wondering about communication at a distance....

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?133891-A-C-R-E-Advanced-Combat-Radio-Environment-1-4-Stable-Release-Thread

This would be perfect and if a version of this was modified to just have a simple radio that had a short distance (like the PRC343 for those who actually play with ACRE and do more than just dayZ). Clear and more refined direct communication, as well as radios. However it should not be required, just a option for those who want a more immersion experience. ACRE could be allowed it its current form for better direct communication via teamspeak and not be a requirement or affect DayZ since you would not have to add the items and DayZ does not use the "ItemRadio" which ACRE replaces with the PRC343. Thus no problem for those who choose not to run ACRE :)

Was wondering why I couldn't find the side channel to let people know I was a friendly hah. Very brutal indeed, been avoiding everyone like the plague now since they can't seem to hear when I talk on Direct Communications that I am a friendly and end up getting shot in the face.

I strongly disagree with the decision to remove a chat system amongst all players. Today alone, i've been massacred three times by players who i've tried to come in contact with using my microphone.. I'm not sure if they got the message, but i sure as hell got theirs...

Honestly, i get that this is suppose to be a straight out of hell zombie apocalypse... But this turns everyone against each other, no questions asked. (litterally)

heres to reconsidering having global chat re-enabled, the game needs a little bit of sanity, being left in the dark against every player is way to frustrating. I enjoy playing with other players, but with this feature, it basicly makes the entire game a solo operation. Extremly lame if u ask me... My buddies cant be there all the time when i am, and when i'm alone its fucking boring not being able to communicate with anyone in the game. On top of that, everyone is fearful of each other and their first instinct is to shoot on sight.. Making it virtually impossible to request an alliance.

Not care bare, just right.

Here is hoping BIS copy some stuff from the ACRE mod and implement a better radio system for global communications over ingame VON.

yeah i have issues with this only because i can never communicate with anyone so i always get end up shot on sight no matter what i do even people who designate themselves as friendly in blue shoot and kill me because i dont respond.....

This change really, really, sucks.

There is no server community or banter anymore.

Please make this a server setting so I can avoid servers that have no chat.

Currently this is possible by avoiding beta but please keep chat possible on some server somewhere.

DayZ has big, huge, long gaps in action or interest. Global chat helps keep interest going and draws people together.

They should add an auto walk button and encourage chatting to fill the dead time while you chug up hills in the middle of nowhere.

It feels like I've lost my radio at work. Everything is such a chore without some background noise.

I don't think the issue is really the removal of side chat, but I have yet to hear anyone until AFTER the shooting has stopped.

People feel free to call me out when I've already knocked them out, but I can't hear them at all for some reason. I could hear my friends right next to me, about 5m, just fine, but past 10m I couldn't hear anything.

People complaining about the removal of global chat are the ones used to a common online experience like a MMORPG. Most of them just registered so I don't think their opinion has any importance.

Removing the global chat was the best thing that has happened to this mod. Global chat was completely unplausible and unrealistic.

If the signal hasn't gone out by now, it should next update. This is not your typical game, stop trying to enforce common gaming-rules onto it.

Can't wait for the next update and all the threads regarding the missing starting-weapon.

"I just spawned without a weapon, wtf, i thought this was a FPS"

Most of them just registered so I don't think their opinion has any importance.

By that logic' date=' your opinion doesn't have any importance either, since you and I are both a month old on this forum.

I personally am not going to [i']cry to see it go, and I would love the inclusion of a radio or a PDA per that suggestion thread. I mostly play as an avoidant, antisocial survivor anyways, and I just snicker when I see, "Meet me in the Cherno firestation" followed by a kill-feed entry.

As I mentioned before, I am concerned that it makes the learning curve of an already difficult game that much harder for someone new to MilSim to pick up. Radios / PDAs won't help that matter unless everyone automatically starts with one.

BTW, even the most hardcore of MilSims has to take into account realism vs. playability. It's completely unrealistic for us to have a little white dot on the edge of our screen that telepathically tells us of something moving off to the side. Obviously, we should be limited to the artificially defined 60-degree arc of vision that our computer screens allot us, and if a zed sidles up next to us, we shouldn't know of its presence until it noms off our ears, since the white dot is unrealistic.

~ Ferrard

lawl i hope some people remember that.. uhh, this is a game we are playing here...

why so serious? who the hell wants to play a zombie apocalypse by themselves?

RADIO CONS STAY !!! or else....

I registered just to drop in my 2cents for this thread.

I think global chat should be available, or the ability to join a group and use that for chat.

Should someone want to find a friendly person to team up with on-the-fly it's nearly impossible to do without some form of chat. Should they wish to publicize their incentives (read; "meet me at the firestation in cherno" or whatever) then that's their choice, as like someone mentioned it opens up possibility of ambush etc.

I'm partially deaf, and don't use radios/phones/teamspeak because I can't understand people over it. My problem yes, but if there is no other option then I'll simply stop playing.

Sometimes I like to be a bandit and mess with people, other times I like to team up with a few people and conquer as much as possible. There needs to be SOME form of global comms.

Removal of global channels is a great idea, but there are some problems with it, firstly its not possible to warn other players of a hacker doing bad stuff to people and secondly how on earth are people that don't use external voice or other comms supposed to meet up when they die or get separated.

Although it steps away from the realism angle perhaps we need to be able to create groups on the fly and use group communication features existing already in arma 2. You could require everyone to have a radio to use that perhaps but they need to be quite common so that dead people can get back online and start to regroup fairly quickly.

So I've been enjoying this game for a few days and been lurking on the forums reading alot of the nonsense that goes with most communities and frankly people like Ferrard Carson come few and far between.

The coms e.g., global/side. chat has literally no impact on my play what so ever and does not detract immersion which many are proclaiming. I can literally ignore that chat until I come across a survivor or when I'm hiking across the mountains. Me reading that isn't going to suddenly make me go oh no I'm not alone in this world, I already feel it, I know if I meet a survivor that there is a 50/50 chance he's going to Back stab me if he seems friendly or work with me, the paranoia is still there, the game still achieves that. So that dismisses the ''it ruins the solitariness gameplay'' because you're already feel as you have no companions and in most cases you don't!

Another thing with this is, I have voice comms a third party program that many will infact use to play this with friends so it's already in my favour and guess what to those who use the ''hardcore gamers vs Casual gamers'' Hardcore gamers would be using third party coms with friends, so exactly how does keeping global/side in favour of casual gamers and more importantly how does removing it make this game more for the hardcore gamer?.

Something else that was brought up is people should use the forums to group up or make friends which is alittle hard when you're unable to group up anyway which means using a third party device which in all technically would ruin the atmosphere that you all claim is ruined via having global in, I also can safely say in my 14-15 years of gaming the best place I've met people is actually in the game and I've known and still play with them even after all this time, forums are great but doesn't imply you will enjoy playing with them until you actually have.

Further more the point of Realisim, I love games that try to implement realisim, Americas Army/Special forces and other Military sims that are otherwise not open to the public and used for training albeit those used for training are not made for entertainment and I'm sure many would infact get bored after a few days playing it but I digress the point is these games that are entertainment value aswell as trying to simulate realisim are still games, I can't imagine you flying say a Boeing 747 or Airbus, pausing it in mid air to go for some food or to empty ones bowls, in real life you'd have a co-pilot but for a game and entertainment point of view it's there, does this detract from your gameplay? providing you're into those flight sims and so on.

Now that I covered all the typical questions flying left and right that have very little basis I can see where Rocket is coming from it's his project and therefor he can do as he wishs and as I stated It really doesn't bother me if it's in or not I have my own comms and I'll just treat everyone as suspect regardless as many others will, but what it does do is alienate people from making contact which is a no especially since it's a game. Adding in radios or other tools to be able to have comms is fine but as Ferrard says, give everyone it as a starter however make it so it needs to be recharged so they only have a limited time to use it when they spawn, thus if they wish to keep in open coms, they must power the thing which then makes them have to venture out still possibility of death and even make those moments where you feel you must do so in order to survive along side the food/water system.