"This is an alpha mod!!1!!!"

Is it? The last time I checked, games don't go from ALPHA to final-product-go-buy-it in one step. Even if DayZ is forever branded with the "alpha" title, perhaps we're out of alpha. Maybe dogs is when the beta begins. Stop saying this is an alpha mod, people. Just don't call it anything. Call it a game.

Point being: incomplete mod --> standalone game doesn't make sense. Where are we in between that?

Edited by omgwtfbbq

dayz is a prof of consept for getting funding to make a standalone game.

It is still in alpha since the beta should be made in the standalone versions.

DayZ si currently a Hacker playground.. Nothing more..

Until that is fixed I'm gonna wait for the full version...

Thinker

Alpha is typically tested by people who are involved in the development process of the product regardless. So one could consider it to be beta rather then alpha from the get go... Who cares though? I mean, it's just putting a name to the game, it doesn't rly change anything.

Edited by Hakultair
  • Like 1

It's semantics really, it's not going from alpha to final build in one step either, you do realise standalone is being released as alpha too right? Albeit at a significantly reduced price point (minecraft model), new features/updates will happen very regularly for at least the next six months or so after standalone alpha is released, they will then move into beta where there will be a feature close off to tidy/polish the game in preparation for it's full release.

5.30-7.30

Edited by smasht_AU

The standalone is going to be released in an alpha build at a reduced price. So, still alpha...

• Like 1

Standalone =/= Final product.

It's simply departing from ARMA 2, and will no longer be a mod. Hence the title "STAND ALONE."

Minecraft was a standalone, and you could buy it in its Alpha-stage, back in the day.

This is exactly what DayZ is doing. Buy it once, updates are free forever.

Edit; Blah. Max beat me to it.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Dayz is a zombie survival sim, with a side dish bugs n glitches. The script kiddies are dessert.

We went from alpha to the full stand alone so fast because of the obvious demand. Not just any demand either, demand for a game people in the business were sure would not do well.

In my opinion, this mod will remain an "alpha" until the end of its existence. There is little reason for it to go further. They will test a few more things here and then the standalone will be released either fully or in another "alpha/beta". I can't say. But regardless we will move on to there.

However I agree that I'm getting tired of the "its an alpha so its ok!" attitude towards the mod. It's been considered one for too long now. These bugs and glitches and loopholes that hacks abuse will happen, of course. But it should not just be swept aside, in the hopes that it goes away on its own. It should be addressed properly and we are in the right to bitch whine and moan,Within reason, about it until then.

It's a modification of a game that is still in development and still subject to bugs, glitches and flaws. Not everything will be perfect and only in time will many issues addressed be fixed.

I agree... He has mentioned the "minecraft Model" many times and this indicates the standalone will not be a finished game. :P

"This is an alpha mod!!1!!!"

Is it? The last time I checked, games don't go from ALPHA to final-product-go-buy-it in one step. Even if DayZ is forever branded with the "alpha" title, perhaps we're out of alpha. Maybe dogs is when the beta begins. Stop saying this is an alpha mod, people. Just don't call it anything. Call it a game.

Point being: alpha mod --> standalone game doesn't make sense. Where are we in between that?

What is DayZ?

A playground for hackers.

More questions?

Once DayZ standalone ALPHA flies off the shelves, tell me what will be the incentive for him to take it out of alpha, into beta then finally into a bug free final product?

Someone earlier in the thread said it but I want to echo that statement so I can refer back to this post in the future. This game will never make it to "finished product".

The standalone is going to be released in an alpha build at a reduced price. So, still alpha...

Okay, I see where this is going. But how long until completion? Is completion in mind, as in, do you guys have a harmonious DayZ in your imaginations, or is it ad-libbing as you go along, until you eventually decide that this is the best it's going to be?

DayZ is the new minecraft. It was awesome at the beginning, but as soon as it gained popularity it became a terrible community with a promising developer forgoing to make a genuinely unique game better, and instead wanting to make as much money as possible.

• Like 1

DayZ is the new minecraft. It was awesome at the beginning, but as soon as it gained popularity it became a terrible community with a promising developer forgoing to make a genuinely unique game better, and instead wanting to make as much money as possible.

Shitstorm in 3....

Edited by omgwtfbbq

It will remain in Alpha as long as it does. No more, no less.

He obviously doesn't have a singular vision for the game that he is working toward. He has openly admitted as much, and said that's why he is using this model so that he can develop the mod along with the community and allow it to evolve dynamically.

What difference does it make to you? Are you only going to buy it if you know precisely the date upon which he will stop calling it Alpha and begin calling it Beta, and yet again the precise date when it will cease being Beta and be called Final?

They're just words after all. As long as he continually updates the game and it continues to entertain me, I could care less if he calls the thing Chicken Whiskers or Titty Sprinkle.

It will remain in Alpha as long as it does. No more, no less.

He obviously doesn't have a singular vision for the game that he is working toward. He has openly admitted as much, and said that's why he is using this model so that he can develop the mod along with the community and allow it to evolve dynamically.

What difference does it make to you? Are you only going to buy it if you know precisely the date upon which he will stop calling it Alpha and begin calling it Beta, and yet again the precise date when it will cease being Beta and be called Final?

They're just words after all. As long as he continually updates the game and it continues to entertain me, I could care less if he calls the thing Chicken Whiskers or Titty Sprinkle.

Dayz TITTY SPRINKLE