kayakinack

Banditry: The Underappreciated Service to the DayZ Community...ATM

First of all, in this game (currently) you can be 1 of 3 things: a bandit, a survivor, or a hero. I am not a hero (I have negative humanity), I am not a survivor (I have negative humanity) THEREFORE I am a bandit. Yes in the real world (which this is not) the word bandit is used to describe a person that uses force to steal, in DayZ however a bandit is a person that is not a survivor or a hero a bandit is a person that has a certain amount of negative humanity, which coincidently is accomplished by SHOCKER, killing players. Therefore, a bandit, in the DayZ sense is a person that kills other players. When I say that I am a bandit, that is what I mean, you can argue semantics all you like, I could not care less. Until the game places me in a category as something other than a bandit I will label myself a bandit just as the game does.

Secondly, it is perplexing how people think that everyone in Cherno/Electro is unarmed and a brand new player, I hate to burst your bubble folks but every time I die (which happens often) I run right through Cherno/Electro myself and dodge bandits with snipers and bandits with assault rifles the whole time. This is what MOST people with experience in this game do, unless they have a camp set up and something else in mind to do up North. It is normal to see groups of 2-4 people in Electro/Cherno looting together in a tactical fashion, should no one snipe them because they are probably new spawns.. right?? Hell just yesterday there were 3 guys with rifles of some sort running around in Electro I killed 1 and the others got away. The day before I chased a bandit and his friend all the way from East to West Electro and killed them WITH an M4. Were these the poor new spawns you talk about? The bandit shot me with an m203 grenade (no idea how I didn't die). I guess he was bugged and spawned with that M16 w/ M203 on him, right?

Thirdly, someone brought up a good point about gear levels and the effects your gear level has on your game play. If a sniper is in Electro with all his nice gear and there are a couple of new spawns in Electro that he is shooting at, he isn't free and clear. There are many places for weapons to spawn in Electro/Cherno, those new spawns have nothing to lose but about under an hour of gameplay, they can easily charge at a sniper and take him out with no real fear for their life. Oh yea, I forgot they are a new spawn so they must be a brand new player, because no one else spawns on the coast when they die....

Last and definitely not least, I would absolutely love to snipe in Stary and NWAF! Problem is, in the game's current condition there are artifacts at these locations. First of all it causes a serious problem for me, SOMETIMES, I can get them to go away after 5-10 minutes of screwing around with video settings, flushing, and alt-tabbing. The second problem is ever since those artifacts were accidently introduced the amount of people that go to these locations has dwindled to virtually nothing. I have server hopped for several hours to high pop servers, low pop servers, mid pop servers, servers with no clan members, servers with all clan members and after fixing my video settings each time there were 0 players to be found. Maybe I have horrible luck or the 10-15 minutes I waited on each server for a player to show up showed my inpatience but until artifacts are fixed I'll stick to my current activities: sniping Cherno/Electro and when that gets boring (which it often does) running around in Cherno/Electro with my high end gear. HEY! Another service to the community, free high end gear to anyone that kills me while I'm running around in Cherno/Electro. Well it will hopefully cost you some blood.

Oh and screw the murder count/bandit count playing on high pop servers those are often screwed up by hackers, I'm trying to see how low I can get my humanity.

Edited by kayakinack
  • Like 1

I totally agree with the OP. Even though the majority of my time is spent as a friendly survivor (i just dont make a good bandit unfortunately) it is the tension of knowing that bandits are out there that makes Day Z what it is. Without them the game would be nothing. Sure i get angry when a 10 day old character gets sniped but in a way that is my fault. I know there are bandits out there and i just need to be more careful.

• Like 1

First of all, in this game (currently) you can be 1 of 3 things: a bandit, a survivor, or a hero. I am not a hero (I have negative humanity), I am not a survivor (I have negative humanity) THEREFORE I am a bandit. Yes in the real world (which this is not) the word bandit is used to describe a person that uses force to steal, in DayZ however a bandit is a person that is not a survivor or a hero a bandit is a person that has a certain amount of negative humanity, which coincidently is accomplished by SHOCKER, killing players. Therefore, a bandit, in the DayZ sense is a person that kills other players. When I say that I am a bandit, that is what I mean, you can argue semantics all you like, I could not care less. Until the game places me in a category as something other than a bandit I will label myself a bandit just as the game does.

Secondly, it is perplexing how people think that everyone in Cherno/Electro is unarmed and a brand new player, I hate to burst your bubble folks but every time I die (which happens often) I run right through Cherno/Electro myself and dodge bandits with snipers and bandits with assault rifles the whole time. This is what MOST people with experience in this game do, unless they have a camp set up and something else in mind to do up North. It is normal to see groups of 2-4 people in Electro/Cherno looting together in a tactical fashion, should no one snipe them because they are probably new spawns.. right?? Hell just yesterday there were 3 guys with rifles of some sort running around in Electro I killed 1 and the others got away. The day before I chased a bandit and his friend all the way from East to West Electro and killed them WITH an M4. Were these the poor new spawns you talk about? The bandit shot me with an m203 grenade (no idea how I didn't die). I guess he was bugged and spawned with that M16 w/ M203 on him, right?

Thirdly, someone brought up a good point about gear levels and the effects your gear level has on your game play. If a sniper is in Electro with all his nice gear and there are a couple of new spawns in Electro that he is shooting at, he isn't free and clear. There are many places for weapons to spawn in Electro/Cherno, those new spawns have nothing to lose but about under an hour of gameplay, they can easily charge at a sniper and take him out with no real fear for their life. Oh yea, I forgot they are a new spawn so they must be a brand new player, because no one else spawns on the coast when they die....

Last and definitely not least, I would absolutely love to snipe in Stary and NWAF! Problem is, in the game's current condition there are artifacts at these locations. First of all it causes a serious problem for me, SOMETIMES, I can get them to go away after 5-10 minutes of screwing around with video settings, flushing, and alt-tabbing. The second problem is ever since those artifacts were accidently introduced the amount of people that go to these locations has dwindled to virtually nothing. I have server hopped for several hours to high pop servers, low pop servers, mid pop servers, servers with no clan members, servers with all clan members and after fixing my video settings each time there were 0 players to be found. Maybe I have horrible luck or the 10-15 minutes I waited on each server for a player to show up showed my inpatience but until artifacts are fixed I'll stick to my current activities: sniping Cherno/Electro and when that gets boring (which it often does) running around in Cherno/Electro with my high end gear. HEY! Another service to the community, free high end gear to anyone that kills me while I'm running around in Cherno/Electro. Well it will hopefully cost you some blood.

Oh and screw the murder count/bandit count playing on high pop servers those are often screwed up by hackers, I'm trying to see how low I can get my humanity.

So now you have changed your entire argument from "Praise me for sniping noobs" to "I'm just being a bandit by game mechanics" then this entire thread and your original post is moot. I already explained that the people running through cherno (as in the bandits running through cherno) are the ones providing some suspense and excitement for new spawns. Yes there are a portion of players that still run to cherno and elektro even though they are experienced but do you really think they are the ones sticking there head out so you can pop it off from the hills? No, they are not. They know the sniper angles and avoid that shit which is exactley why sniping outside those big cities gets you newb kills, BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW.

And while were on the topic of bandit / survivor / hero, why don't you see hero threads on here about a REAL minority that should be praised for doing what so little do in game. Coming across people and healing them, bandaging them, taking med requests, and trying to avoid un-needed conflict. Since they are the severe minority that makes for a very interesting experience in game shouldn't we be praising them?

Why make a thread saying "THANK GOD FOR BANDITS OR WE"D BE BORED" when half or more of the population are shoot on sight bandits. The point you were trying to get across doesn't exist, the game is full of you people. Yeah it would be boring if no one killed anyone it would be for sure, but it would be a hell of a lot better if everyone didn't shoot at everything they see.

And I guess that is why people take offence to you posting a thread like this. Because it's insane seeing as how much of a problem high end duped geared bandits shooting on sight and camping noobs are. It's just fuckin silly that you would even bring it up. You want praise for taking the easiest possible route in the game, come on man.

Oh and you know why people are calling you a murderer and not a bandit? because up until this latest patch the bandit skin was disabled and people judged others by how they play not by some little in game bar that gives you a different skin based on easily exploitable actions. I don't give a damn if you have a hero skin or survivor skin, if you sniping newbs in cherno im going to call you a murderer cause the shoe fits not cause some poorly implemented skin changer in an alpha tells me to, but because that's how you are acting.

Basicly my point is this. You do what you wanna do in game, you have that right, it's a sandbox. But don't come up in here all like MAN THIS GAME WOULD BE SO BORING FOR YOU GUYS IF I DIDN"T SHOOT NOOBS FROM A MILE AWAY IN CHERNO, cause ya aint foolin no one.

Sorry if I came off rude btw, good gaming.

Edited by Gambles

I'll give you credit for this DayZ is better off with bandits. However because of the ease of banditry we have the rampant hacker problem, the KoS situation, and more wolves then sheep.

I've lived this before in the late 90's. I know how it'll turn out, so I am relishing this while it lasts.

I respect a select few bandits, those who play in the spirit of the game. The rest (majority) of them will cause more harm then you know. You think you have it bad now... Just wait and see what's to come.

• Like 1

So now you have changed your entire argument from "Praise me for sniping noobs" to "I'm just being a bandit by game mechanics" then this entire thread and your original post is moot. I already explained that the people running through cherno (as in the bandits running through cherno) are the ones providing some suspense and excitement for new spawns. Yes there are a portion of players that still run to cherno and elektro even though they are experienced but do you really think they are the ones sticking there head out so you can pop it off from the hills? No, they are not. They know the sniper angles and avoid that shit which is exactley why sniping outside those big cities gets you newb kills, BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW.

And while were on the topic of bandit / survivor / hero, why don't you see hero threads on here about a REAL minority that should be praised for doing what so little do in game. Coming across people and healing them, bandaging them, taking med requests, and trying to avoid un-needed conflict. Since they are the severe minority that makes for a very interesting experience in game shouldn't we be praising them?

Why make a thread saying "THANK GOD FOR BANDITS OR WE"D BE BORED" when half or more of the population are shoot on sight bandits. The point you were trying to get across doesn't exist, the game is full of you people. Yeah it would be boring if no one killed anyone it would be for sure, but it would be a hell of a lot better if everyone didn't shoot at everything they see.

And I guess that is why people take offence to you posting a thread like this. Because it's insane seeing as how much of a problem high end duped geared bandits shooting on sight and camping noobs are. It's just fuckin silly that you would even bring it up. You want praise for taking the easiest possible route in the game, come on man.

Oh and you know why people are calling you a murderer and not a bandit? because up until this latest patch the bandit skin was disabled and people judged others by how they play not by some little in game bar that gives you a different skin based on easily exploitable actions. I don't give a damn if you have a hero skin or survivor skin, if you sniping newbs in cherno im going to call you a murderer cause the shoe fits not cause some poorly implemented skin changer in an alpha tells me to, but because that's how you are acting.

Basicly my point is this. You do what you wanna do in game, you have that right, it's a sandbox. But don't come up in here all like MAN THIS GAME WOULD BE SO BORING FOR YOU GUYS IF I DIDN"T SHOOT NOOBS FROM A MILE AWAY IN CHERNO, cause ya aint foolin no one.

Sorry if I came off rude btw, good gaming.

No change in my "argument" I simply stated my reason for calling myself a bandit because people insist that means something that it doesn't, in the context of the game. People believe that to call myself a bandit I must "rob" someone in game, I was simply explaining my self-labeling of bandit. Murderer is a perfectly fine label, too bad it isn't in game.

I could also not care less if I am praised or not for sniping "noobs" in Cherno/Electro, since once again they are apparently the only ones that are ever killed in these cities by people such as myself and veterans being apparently invisible to snipers really helps your argument that only noobs get sniped in Cherno/Electro...

I simply felt the urge to post my thoughts so I did. The acceptance of my fellow gamers didn't cross my mind; the boredom of waiting for my class to start did.

I'll give you credit for this DayZ is better off with bandits. However because of the ease of banditry we have the rampant hacker problem, the KoS situation, and more wolves then sheep.

I've lived this before in the late 90's. I know how it'll turn out, so I am relishing this while it lasts.

I respect a select few bandits, those who play in the spirit of the game. The rest (majority) of them will cause more harm then you know. You think you have it bad now... Just wait and see what's to come.

Three things cause rampant hackers: the ARMA engine's lack of protection; people selling/giving away hacks, kids that enjoy ruining the day of entire servers full of people. Bandits and banditry have nothing to do with it.

What situation like this did you "live" in the late 90s? I'd be thrilled to hear about it. Please also let me know what is "in the spirit of the game" because I'd enjoy that as well. Last I checked the game is sandbox survival; thus, do what you will that you find fun.... right? Maybe I'm missing something, RP perhaps? Definitely not my thing.

Edited by kayakinack

Three things cause rampant hackers: the ARMA engine's lack of protection; people selling/giving away hacks, kids that enjoy ruining the day of entire servers full of people. Bandits and banditry have nothing to do with it.

What situation like this did you "live" in the late 90s? I'd be thrilled to hear about it. Please also let me know what is "in the spirit of the game" because I'd enjoy that as well. Last I checked the game is sandbox survival; thus, do what you will that you find fun.... right? Maybe I'm missing something, RP perhaps? Definitely not my thing.

1.) I didn't mean banditry was the only cause of script kiddies running amuck. But when you are a scrub and can't compete, you cheat. (not you personally and not every person who sucks cheats)

2.) in 1997 a sandbox game called Ultima Online, for 2 years the wolves ruled. (I was one of them) The casual/carebears cried all over the forums. We insulted them, never listening to their side. Rampant pk'ing thrived until the sheeple left in droves. Shards got split/mirrored into pvp and pve areas. The wolves lost their prey and the whole feel of the game changed. (look up the history of UO, DayZ seems to be going the same route. I hope I am wrong tho)

3.)As for the spirit of DayZ, you are right. But when one playstyle hinders all others leaving no other option but to KoS, something is bound to give. I don't want bandits punished (thru coding) per say, but unless they reel it in / police eachother you will be.

I love the snipers camping spawns. Best source of good gear. I suggest going to unpopulated servers, climbing up to popular sniping points, and then logging into populated servers to pop the sniper while his back is turned. Probably the most fun I've had in dayz.

See, that is the way a wuss would act. Someone that doesn't have the balls to stay on the same server and fight like a man. Although it's not cheating, by doing that, you are no better than the hackers.

I have read all the posts on this thread and here are my 2 cents.

I wonder if any of those complaining about snipers have actually tried to put themselves in their shoes. Do some sniping, and I don't mean the pick up a sniper, get on a hill shoot at someone and die 15 minutes later because you were to busy to notice the guy sneaking behind you. It's not as easy as it looks. Let me tell you why.

A "lone wolf" type of sniper although sounds good it's not. Been there, done that...Not good

• A single sniper has to constantly do 3 things to stay alive:

• Spot for targets - which means constantly switching between RF and scope. If he's lucky and smart he has a L85A AWS (although that means switching weapons if the target is more than 300+ meters away, we all know L85 starts to suck further than 400 meters). Some of you might argue that the scope is good enough. I don't argue that. It works for players that have yet to acquire a ghillie suit of for those that run/prone. Throw in a ghlillie+crawling on the belly 500+ meters away and there's your Monkey Wrench. This is a case where a 2-3 men team works best: one sniper, one spotter - for targets in front of the sniper and one covering the rear/flanks
  • Constantly check his surroundings - You never know who might sneak around you. Remember that the AS50/M107/SVD/DMR are loud as hell, somewhere around 400 meters if i read the list on wikia correctly.Also we have to deal with wussies and cowards, the likes of the dude i just quoted...
  • MOVE/SWITCH POSITION every minute or so - A camping sniper is a dead sniper if he stays in the same spot to long. I learned that the hard way and put it to good use against other snipers. See quote for more details (regarding why it's good to always move). This situation has a downside, you have to do the target search all over again...more work,

1. Not all long range shooters are true snipers - Using an AS50 or a M107 even a M24doesn't make you a sniper.You are just some dude that found a Long Range rifle. Why you ask? because of the zeroing of the rifle. The target is 600 meters away for example, then 3 clicks on "Page up", increase zeroing to 600, center mass aim aaaaand he's dead.A sniper is someone who uses a DMR or a SVD. Why, you ask? Because those rifles do not have zeroing. Which means that you actually have to waste more time calculating how high above the target you should aim to compensate for bullet drop. Yes, SVD has a built in RF, but it takes some time and skill to use it efficiently. Also, all other Long Range rifles besides AS50/M107 are not one shot-one kill. Trying to get a headshot from 600+ meters w/o zeroing is tough so I for one go for Center mass.

So, for all of you who think what we do is easy, think again and give it a try before you bitch and moan. Yes, I snipe,I had an AS50 but it became to easy so now I use a DMR because it's more challenging. I don't give a rat's ass if the guy i shoot just spawned or it's a bandit with 20+ murders. All i care is that I took him out from 600+ meters away with 2 shots max using the mill-dots and aiming a good one foot above his head so i can hit his chest. That is what true sniping is about in DayZ, the shot, not the kill in particular.

The end.

P.S: If some of you feel the need to correct any of my statements or add any of their experiences, please do. New things are always good to learn....

Edited by razyel_kain
  • Like 1

Bandits camping Cherno/Electro/Coast aren't a problem. Its the hackers camping Cherno/Elektro/Coast with unlimited ammo and godmode that are a problem. When there is nobody in Cherno/Elektro to kill they teleport North and kill players they can find, which isn't hard with ESP. Bandits do add a bit of intensity to a game where the PVE/Zombie/Survival components are pathetically easy to deal with.

See, that is the way a wuss would act. Someone that doesn't have the balls to stay on the same server and fight like a man. Although it's not cheating, by doing that, you are no better than the hackers.

I wonder if any of those complaining about snipers have actually tried to put themselves in their shoes. Do some sniping, and I don't mean the pick up a sniper, get on a hill shoot at someone and die 15 minutes later because you were to busy to notice the guy sneaking behind you. It's not as easy as it looks. Let me tell you why.

A "lone wolf" type of sniper although sounds good it's not. Been there, done that...Not good

• Spot for targets - which means constantly switching between RF and scope. If he's lucky and smart he has a L85A AWS (although that means switching weapons if the target is more than 300+ meters away, we all know L85 starts to suck further than 400 meters). Some of you might argue that the scope is good enough. I don't argue that. It works for players that have yet to acquire a ghillie suit of for those that run/prone. Throw in a ghlillie+crawling on the belly 500+ meters away and there's your Monkey Wrench. This is a case where a 2-3 men team works best: one sniper, one spotter - for targets in front of the sniper and one covering the rear/flanks
  • Constantly check his surroundings - You never know who might sneak around you. Remember that the AS50/M107/SVD/DMR are loud as hell, somewhere around 400 meters if i read the list on wikia correctly.Also we have to deal with wussies and cowards, the likes of the dude i just quoted...
  • MOVE/SWITCH POSITION every minute or so - A camping sniper is a dead sniper if he stays in the same spot to long. I learned that the hard way and put it to good use against other snipers. See quote for more details (regarding why it's good to always move). This situation has a downside, you have to do the target search all over again...more work,

1. Not all long range shooters are true snipers - Using an AS50 or a M107 even a M24doesn't make you a sniper.You are just some dude that found a Long Range rifle. Why you ask? because of the zeroing of the rifle. The target is 600 meters away for example, then 3 clicks on "Page up", increase zeroing to 600, center mass aim aaaaand he's dead.A sniper is someone who uses a DMR or a SVD. Why, you ask? Because those rifles do not have zeroing. Which means that you actually have to waste more time calculating how high above the target you should aim to compensate for bullet drop. Yes, SVD has a built in RF, but it takes some time and skill to use it efficiently. Also, all other Long Range rifles besides AS50/M107 are not one shot-one kill. Trying to get a headshot from 600+ meters w/o zeroing is tough so I for one go for Center mass.

So, for all of you who think what we do is easy, think again and give it a try before you bitch and moan. Yes, I snipe,I had an AS50 but it became to easy so now I use a DMR because it's more challenging. I don't give a rat's ass if the guy i shoot just spawned or it's a bandit with 20+ murders. All i care is that I took him out from 600+ meters away with 2 shots max using the mill-dots and aiming a good one foot above his head so i can hit his chest. That is what true sniping is about in DayZ, the shot, not the kill in particular.

The end.

P.S: If some of you feel the need to correct any of my statements or add any of their experiences, please do. New things are always good to learn....

Just need to correct one thing: ghosting (the act of switching servers to find a better spot to kill someone) is exploiting a game mechanic and I'm almost certain has been deemed cheating by rocket himself.

Yes I agree DMR is far harder to use, learned that last night. Only issue I have with it is it gives people the chance to ALT-F4, which pisses me off to no end, so for now I'll stick with the AS50 to avoid problems with combat loggers.

The end.

Pretty valid points about using a DMR or SVD vs a M107 or AS50. Unfortunately people who use those' long range rifles are few and far between. Mostly because the AS50 and M107 are now just as common as DMR's because of duping / scripting / what have you. And you also have a point about lone wolf sniping, but the argument can be made that if you are up there using an AS50 almost every time you play you're either just not dieing or you have a camp filled with AS50's and other things and we all know what that means. Those high end rifles should be precious and rare and so should the ammo, and shooting people you may not even loot should be almost unforgivable since you are using something that requires a lot of hard work to replace (or should atleast). That is where the area gets messy, there is no way you are up there above cherno/elektro most of your play time and dieing then getting another AS50 or M107 right away again, it just doesn't seem like that is the way the game should work. Unlimited resources lead to everyones bordum.

Edited by Gambles

Two pages of bandits sucking each other off.

Ask yourself this, if there were no sniper rifles would you still do what you do? Some would, I'm sure - others do it because with the sniper rifle the danger they'll be killed is minimal.

Dress it up any way you want, that's the real reason.

Ask yourself this, if there were no sniper rifles would you still do what you do? Some would, I'm sure - others do it because with the sniper rifle the danger they'll be killed is minimal.

I snipe from cherno rooftops with an enfield or I go into close combat with m249. And even then if I choose so I could be immortal, just have to practice alt+f4 skills.

2.) in 1997 a sandbox game called Ultima Online, for 2 years the wolves ruled. (I was one of them) The casual/carebears cried all over the forums. We insulted them, never listening to their side. Rampant pk'ing thrived until the sheeple left in droves. Shards got split/mirrored into pvp and pve areas. The wolves lost their prey and the whole feel of the game changed. (look up the history of UO, DayZ seems to be going the same route. I hope I am wrong tho)

To be fair, the "casual/carebears" were wrong too. Emotion made them cry on the forums but taking away the source of those emotions made each in-game accomplishment matter a little less.

One thing that UO had/has is the ability to visually identify a murderer/bandit/pk/"red" immediately. The community started to police itself and whole guilds were created whose sole purpose was to hunt reds and help those who were preyed upon. People started collecting the heads of reds and posting bounties for their heads (yes, you could dismember player corpses - awesome, I know). This is why I love the fact that bandit/hero skins were brought back. The potential for new aspects of game-play is enormous. Are skins currently flawed in many ways? Yes. Can they be perfected as a system that supports community morality and consequence? Definitely. Maybe the OP would still kill indiscriminately but many of the punks that we're complaining about wouldn't have the stones for it.

Look at you trying to define "true snipers" in a video game. Guess what? If you learn to use the mildots for any of the rifles that have them you'll be MUCH quicker at ranging target for a center mass shot than a rangefinder. In addition, the rifles without zeroing are quicker to shoot once the range is estimated than one with zeroing - provided the operator has the chevrons/dots memorized. This is where the DMR shines. Someone who is competent with the DMR (has the particulars of its scope memorized/listed) can easily range, adjust and shoot in 2-3 seconds without coming out of the scope view. But wait, you know all this already 'cause you use the DMR everyday, right?

My point is that the act of killing with a "sniper" rifle in DayZ can be insanely easy or it can be something that requires a bit of practice and talent. The guys that prefer AS50s on nametag servers are the most likely to get flanked and shot in the head. The ones that use CZs, DMRs and SVDs without mouse wheel ranges are probably much tougher to kill and actually deserve some respect. Then there are all the rest of the "snipers" somewhere in the middle. We can all recognize the distinction but to put labels on them and tie those labels to an arbitrary feature such as zeroing is pointless at best and ignorant at worst. To each his own - especially in a sandbox game like this.

I love your sentence about the shot, not the kill. That's the joy I take from using a "sniper" rifle. But don't knock others for wanting to experience it at a different difficultly level. You've killed with an AS50 too. Oh, and an essential part of your shot is the target. Stop picking fresh spawns for targets, dick.

I agree with you to a point, I hate snipers because it is incredibly unrealistic to have guys up on a hill going full sociopath just for the lulz. I do not begrudge your choice to snipe, nor do I want to see it removed, I just think you are cheap for doing it especially to the new spawns that inhabit Cherno. I am fully geared (except rangefinder) with a M240 as primary, M9 SD as secondary, and M14 AIM as my backup and I walked into Cherno on a medium populated server (after taking out some snipers in the hills so it was safe) just to see what type of threat there was. Some unlucky guy spawned into the hospital but only had an axe, when I told him to leave he ran at me and was quickly killed. Next a guy took a potshot (and hit me) from the second floor of the fire station and was quickly killed as well. Finally some guy came running by and was too slow in responding and was shot (I was going to let him live but about 30 zombies agroed so they got to feed on him). It was fun, but I felt somewhat bad for offing three low tier players with my vastly superior weapons. I have no idea how someone can truly find it challenging or fun to sit on a hill and snipe those running around with makarov's.

I guess to each his own. But I do agree with your overall theme of without player kills this game would be boring.

Most of these people do it because it's "easy". There is nothing wrong with killing other players but the game isn't what it should be TBH. If all the duping of weapons were fixed & the hackers removed, I think you would see a lot less retards with their high end sniper rifles sitting around the hills of Elecktro or on tall buildings in Cherno.

When I play on private servers that ban for duping/hacking the player mentality of the locals if you will is very different than what you see in public servers where you can find high end gear at the drop of a hat. You still have banditry & pvp but players tend to be much more careful with their higher end gear and it's rare to see guys sitting on hills sniping because they know they will get killed fast.

At this point IMO real DayZ as it was meant to be is only played out on private hives away from all the dupers & script kiddies.

Edited by crockett

Going to point out that you can have negative humanity and still be a survivor. There is a threshold. Just FYI.

Inside Cherno and Elektro? I've seen mayyyyyyybe 2 fully kitted out people in all my time playing, dying respawning at these cities, ect. I've seen a few moderately geared people. I've gone into these cities moderately geared. But I have seen actually geared people twice since I've started playing. And when I've got good gear I see zero real reason to hit these places as there are far easier places to get said loots that you could get there far more reliably and safely. And by safely I do mean easier to cover/better cover/less places with good sight lines to the good stuff.

So really I have no idea what you're talking about. Yes I do occasionally go back to those places but only with throw away gear -if- i bring any gear to begin with.

Especially in Electro there are very few places where you can get any decent equipment without a sniper having a good line of sight on you. As for being able to charge the sniper...sure its possible. With no real fear for their life? Ehhhhhhh....you lost me there.

Not sure I'd call that a service to the community.

Hence you're not really a bandit. Just a prick.

Yes. The only difference is without sniper rifles I have to get just a little closer to kill you. Its not all that more difficult, or less safe. Same principles still persist. If I see you before you see me it doesn't matter if I have a sniper or not.

• Like 1

You all keep calling this banditry, it isn't, it's murdering for sport. If you kill without intention to loot it's murder.

I don't care about this tactic at all and agree with OP that it does add a suspense aspect from the game that I do not want removed or changed.

That said, OP is a egotistic douche. What you do isn't all that difficult, you aren't gods gift to gaming, get over yourself.

• Like 1

The frequency of killing in the game has had the opposite effect on me. I expect that in any encounter with another player will result in them trying to kill me, as a result this is the boring outcome in my eyes. Death is common, life is cheap and starting as a fresh respawn really isn’t the hassle it seemed when I first started playing – I no longer care with my character lives or dies. It’s kind of cheapened true banditry (“Your beans or your life.”) type encounters.

• Like 2

Hehe. I think i realised what this experiment rocket is talking about really is all about. Its not a test to see what people would do in a zombie apocalypse. Its what the internet trolls would do in a simulated zombie apocalypse ;D Some are gonna play fair, and some are gonna hack. Some are gonna snipe noobs and some are gonna break peoples legs for fun. And theyre ALL gonna whine on the forums for all eternity :) I think rocket is a troll who feeds of nerds tears.

I've obly died to one hacker, a battle arena thing. Possibly a second but I think it was a bug. I've died to glitches once or twice. And bandits probably twice. Other players that shoot everyone on site 4-5 times. Zombies that glitch through walls and ether trap me in a room or 1 hit knockout, 10+. Zombie glitches are the worste for me.

The end.

You know what? You just buyed a military simulation where you can do all this but that is not the point of a zombie-SURVIVAL-game.

Who would shoot people from a hill in a zombieapocalypse when there is no need to do that.

As i understood, a bandit kills someone because the other person have something the bandit want for his own.

You would just be a psychopathic military veteran which is shooting to have at least some fun in the last hours of his live.

Just like this guy, andy, from the new version of "dawn of the dead".

• Like 1

Sniping into a city far away and popping noob players is not banditry. It's camping and faggotry.

Banditry is taking supplies from others instead of obtaining the items yourself. Banditry is killing someone or holding them up for their beans/ammo/weapons/w.e.

What you're doing isn't even that dangerous. I don't know anyone who actually stays still while running through Cherno. I duck through each building, grab what I need and bug out.

• Like 1

All the people saying sniping isnt dangerous have obv never tried it, haha. I stopped doing it, cause i got tired of dieing all the time :P I know i suck at sniping, but still, you never do it unless youre ready to die. Its 10000000000 times riskier to snipe than to run through cherno deathmatching. And no, im not saying the people youre trying to snipe is gonna kill you, but all the people coming for you up there once you fired your gun once or twice. The five most common places to snipe around cherno is very well known, so even if youre relocating to another "good" spot, youre gonna get tracked down within 5 minutes by at least 2-10 people.

If the sniper sinks a bit lower, and server hops after a few shots, even then it can be dangerous, cause those spots are often under surveillance, and it can get you killed even before you spwan in 100% :P

I do not appreciate griefers. I do like that there is banditry. I do not think griefers, especially op snipers are a valuable part of the game. Having said that, they will always be part of the game.

I have played a lot of pvp, from diablo one and two, to hardcore ones like lineage 2. Wow, mount and blade, a few call of duties and modern warefares. A few douzen that are forgettable. The one think that is always there are griefers. Some people enjoy a real challenge, some enjoy domination. That is always true in pvp games.

Some people use cheat for just that reason. They enjoy domination, maybe one day they will learn to enjoy success gained from a really difficult challenge. While griefing and cheating are not the same thing, I think motivations are similar. DayZ is a great challenging game. Adrenalin is common and success brings a real sense of satisfaction.

Some may just be bored, the devs need to step up their game to keep players occupied, also, make snipers more vulnerable.