RooBurger

Met a hacker... and I pity him

My girlfriends and I were having a pretend tea party, and a new friend came along to join us. We gave her a pretend crumpet which she greatly enjoyed.

Oh my, it sounds like you had a lovely time.

That guy was a hacker, and he did not yell it to you. He kept it silent. He tried to help you.

I'm not condescending, but you simply don't get it. Giving duped gear to a survivor doesn't help him at all, you just destroy his game experience by letting him go thru a shortcut. Weapons and military gear are supposed to be rare and hard to get, by scavenging or fighting a lot.

• Like 1

The main thing I learned is that some (perhaps most?) hackers are sad, lonely people who just want others to accept and praise them.

Regrettably, your thoughts are wrong. The world is colorful and not as simple as you think, in your seeking for consolation. There are no evil people. There are no good people. Human being are human being.

Edited by plymouth_colony

regrettably, your thoughts are wrong.

Regrettably, I will shoot every piece of shit hacker on sight and insult them as I do so.

Just face the facts: nobody cares, you are just doing it for the peace of your mind. Cheating/hacking/cracking sucks, but however, they won't care about your public whining.

Just face the facts: nobody cares, you are just doing it for the peace of your mind. Cheating/hacking/cracking sucks, but however, they won't care about your public whining.

So you publicy whine in my thread with some pseudo philosophical bullshit about how we're all precious little snowflakes and I shouldn't judge hackers?

Edited by RooBurger

So you publicy whine in my thread with some pseudo philosophical bullshit about how we're all precious little snowflakes and I shouldn't judge hackers?

Stop whining man. Be a man.

I was playing with my girlfriend yesterday. We were trying to meet up, but she ran into someone in a ghillie suit. She asked him not to kill her, and he decided to help her. White night syndrome in full effect. She was talking to me over Skype while all this was happening.

Then she noticed that zombies would run at him and drop dead a few feet away. Of course, must be a hacker.

We were debating whether or not I should try to kill him as I was pretty close at this stage. My opinion is that hackers can go to hell, whether helping or not.

But he spotted me from quite far away. I suppose he has some kind of hack which allows all name plates to be seen.

My GF explained that I was friendly and we were intending to meet up. So they both came over to me on a quad bike, and he gave us some guns and a ghillie suit for me (GF has a female character so that's useless for her). He asked if there was anything else I wanted, and I asked if he has NVGs. He said "well it's your lucky day, I happen to have two on me.". At no point did he admit to hacking.

He noticed that someone was running past in the distance, and decided to run off and kill him. He threw a grenade and the survivor was down. Shortly after, he ran back to us and asked if I'd like to loot the body. I said sure and followed him back.

The body had a lot of the best gear on it. I can only assume that he planted it there for me.

He began to ask if he could add us on Skype. For a moment I considered adding him so he'd be happy for the moment, then block him once we left the server. While he was talking he ran over the side of a hill and came back in a military truck. My GF and I decided to just leave the server. We logged out.

At the time, more than anything I felt sorry for him, and my wish not to let him down outweighed my wish to betray him. It was all quite pathetic. Looking back, I wish I'd told the sad bastard to get fucked.

It's a very hollow feeling to get items I didn't earn. The reason I play DayZ is because finding items is more rewarding than in any other game I've played, and killing bandits is possibly the best feeling I've ever had playing a game. Getting the best stuff for free completely breaks it for me. Due to the sheer amount of hackers in the game these days, I'm considering holding out until the stand alone comes.

The main thing I learned is that some (perhaps most?) hackers are sad, lonely people who just want others to accept and praise them.

beans for you sir. A name would have been nice if you were playing on low pop server, figuring out their handle and submitting server # would help narrow down the search if an admin wanted to check game logs. Then again, the server admin could probably locate when/if they were spawning gear and vehicles. Either way its kind of cool that you actually struggle with the duality of trying to keep cool and being very angry at hackers manipulating your game experience. I advise you not to pity some one like that, they are the cancerous agents that have slowly corrupted our game. but most of all, I am glad it didn't sour you and your g/f on the game and you decide to keep playing. /tiphat

beans for you sir. A name would have been nice if you were playing on low pop server, figuring out their handle and submitting server # would help narrow down the search if an admin wanted to check game logs. Then again, the server admin could probably locate when/if they were spawning gear and vehicles. Either way its kind of cool that you actually struggle with the duality of trying to keep cool and being very angry at hackers manipulating your game experience. I advise you not to pity some one like that, they are the cancerous agents that have slowly corrupted our game. but most of all, I am glad it didn't sour you and your g/f on the game and you decide to keep playing. /tiphat

Thanks you sir. As I said in a few posts before, I now have a shoot on sight policy for all script kids, perhaps I should write their names down too.

that..simply wont do....you had a rare experience of some one scripting and rolling with you. generally hackers will have their fun with you (thunderdome) or shoot you from nowhere and instant kill you. That said how about having a shoot on sight policy about everyone...by the time you figure out what happened youll be dead anyways if they hacked. The chances of a hacker befriending you again are low...next time and for the most part, youll never see it coming.

that..simply wont do....you had a rare experience of some one scripting and rolling with you. generally hackers will have their fun with you (thunderdome) or shoot you from nowhere and instant kill you. That said how about having a shoot on sight policy about everyone...by the time you figure out what happened youll be dead anyways if they hacked. The chances of a hacker befriending you again are low...next time and for the most part, youll never see it coming.

It has happened to me a few times. My friend and I shot two hackers yesterday after they tried to be friendly, which really pissed them off. They found us again and killed us, but it was definitely worth it.

I could not give a feck if they have good intentions. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

What?

Seriously ... everything you post is full of bullshit ...

Lol. I just get really tired at night and talk about random stuff sometimes, I was actually referring to a post on the first page saying that he wanted to find a girlfriend to play DayZ with.

I'm looking for a girlfriend to play DayZ with too; any takers? I'd prefer someone moody, depressing - has to be a whiner and above all NEEDS TO CRY.

P.S. Script kids think they're tough, until they get banned. Then they're nothing. I wonder what it feels like to know you both have and are nothing.

-MONSTER

• Like 1

op was only friended by the hacker because the hacker met his gf first. otherwise, 99 times out of 100 you'd be dead.

and if you feel the need to cheat at something that's supposed to be recreational and at the same time, ruin other people's enjoyment, then you open yourself to have every assumption of your morals, social life etc... thrown at you.

its like saying pedophiles can be wonderful people.

Edited by ptk

op was only friended by the hacker because the hacker met his gf first. otherwise, 99 times out of 100 you'd be dead.

I think you are right in assuming a female player gets a lot more open reception in most games. It is a bit depressing we cannot get equal rights, one of the reasons my wife never reveals herself to be female.

And I have met other people like the OP describes. They are using cheats to be superior, and then are friendly in the hope that awe make up for the friendliness they need. I am not saying all hackers are that sad, but that kind of hackers are a sad breed indeed.

In regard to white hatters, I'd like to chime in with my what I did today.

<brag>

I started at half past nine, walking away from my hideout in the direction of NWA. It is a good hour of walking, so I rigged a stone on a dice on my walk key, doing the laundry as I watched the screen. Almost got me killed when I walked past a couple of zombies, wife shouting "someones coming at you to stab you", me diving for the keyboard and spraying half my last magazine, ripping the zombies to shreds.

After that I had to log off for the reminder of the laundry, only returning after lunch to spend a good twenty minutes running and checking a few interesting spots. Given that the particular server advertises as 3rdP on, but in reality is off, I had the server for myself. Crawling through the grass of the airfield, relogging to get rid of artifacts, I find nothing but a new AKM mag in southern barrack. Still, it is a nice find, tripling the amount of rounds I have for my long gun.

Crossing the tarmac to get to the hangars, I note zombie count drops to zero, so I can run through the hangars. I disregard the Kobra, but then an M16A2 shows up. Shall I take the lower damage of the 5.56mm or keep the loud, but effective AKM? Personal taste wins over analytics, and I pick up the M16, with its single mag. En route to the firestation, a zombie aggros on me, and I have to kite it out to the fence so I can shoot it, while blood is streaming down my body. Into the firestation for the great reward: My very first DMR. I pick it up and ponder long and hard: Risk my precious by going to the north barracks, or take the money and run? I decide that Fortuna is with me, and make an adrenaline pumped crawl into (and out of) the empty north barracks.

To complete the day, I stumble upon a heli crash extracting. AS50, FN-FAL, L85A2 and M249, all weapons I never have had the chance to shoot yet. In the end I go Leroy with the M249, and drop it when the ammo box is almost empty, crouch-running away with a smile like a fox leaving a hen-house. The time is roughly four o'clock then.

</brag>

So why this story? The point is that my gear is getting nice, but not 1337. I had to leave the AS50 and other guns because I would have problems resupplying ammunition (yes I forgot all about M249 and STANAG :rolleyes: ) I spend a whole day getting that DMR and a single mag, and I am damn proud of it. Had a hacker given me a similar weapon, I don't think I would have had the experience I had today. If I knew that an airlift was around, I would not have had to make the cross-country hike, with the following excitement. The thrill of DayZ is finding shinies, white hatters are taking the joy of shinies away. I dare no longer take a weapon from a corpse because I am afraid it is hacked in. What is the warmth of someone giving a helping hand when they can do so without any risk for them? What is the value of a rifle they give you when it is spawned in? Neither are necessities for survival, put things to strive for because they are hard to get. Getting them for free devalues them, and no one offering an item admits them to be hacked.

I got shot while I was in the middle of nowhere yesterday, crouching in a bush at night on a server with four people online. It aggrieved me less than free weapon would have done.

Short version: White hat hackers are even more damaging to the game than black hats. It is not that they play the game their way, they force their way upon us.

Edited by -Freshmeat

I find it pathetic that the guy is trying to hide the fact that he's scripting the game.

I don't need that immersion, I am not a hardcore player of this mod. I have no interest in building up a character, only to have it destroyed by malicious "hackers" or some sniper that picks me off while I am fixing a grounded helicopter. That can be your playstyle, but it is not mine, and it is foolish to assert that yours is the only way to play and enjoy this mod. I get the same feeling of success and pleasure from beating the anti-cheat system plus helping other players.

No. What you have chosen to do, is to make your hobby the pulling of table cloths out from table without upsetting the whatever is lying on top of the table. Except you also play chess and since you are around rows of tables with people playing chess, you have decided to pull the table clothes out from underneath everyone playing chess (like-minded people btw...your fellow gamers). Every now again of course you overturn the chess boards of people playing or cause a few pieces to get out of place, thus ruining the game and wasting peoples time and effort. OUT OF THE MILLIONS OF FASCINATING THINGS TO DO OR LEARN ON THIS EARTH, you have chosen to fuck up peoples games, there time, there endorphin flow....just a little bit. We are hitting asteroids with missiles and going to mars and there are millions of amazing things to learn about and make hobbies out of, but you have chosen to fuck with peoples game and time, a little bit. Every sniper rifle you give out, that is used to kill, fucks the game up for the person that was killed. It would be different if you gave it out to everyone.

What you do doesn't bother me that much though really, except sniper rifles DO change fps games pretty significantly, and in a negative direction imo, so the more of them the worse the game imo.

• Like 1

Heh that's pretty funny. When I used scripts I would always help out people and never kill them :). Usually I would give new spawns and generally anyone who seemed like a good fellow, helicopter tours. Sometimes I'd even let them fly the helicopter. Then I would spawn them some gear, wish them luck and send them on their way. It's too bad you don't remember the name of the hacker we could have been good friends :(

No. What you have chosen to do, is to make your hobby the pulling of table cloths out from table without upsetting the whatever is lying on top of the table. Except you also play chess and since you are around rows of tables with people playing chess, you have decided to pull the table clothes out from underneath everyone playing chess (like-minded people btw...your fellow gamers). Every now again of course you overturn the chess boards of people playing or cause a few pieces to get out of place, thus ruining the game and wasting peoples time and effort. OUT OF THE MILLIONS OF FASCINATING THINGS TO DO OR LEARN ON THIS EARTH, you have chosen to fuck up peoples games, there time, there endorphin flow....just a little bit. We are hitting asteroids with missiles and going to mars and there are millions of amazing things to learn about and make hobbies out of, but you have chosen to fuck with peoples game and time, a little bit. Every sniper rifle you give out, that is used to kill, fucks the game up for the person that was killed. It would be different if you gave it out to everyone.

What you do doesn't bother me that much though really, except sniper rifles DO change fps games pretty significantly, and in a negative direction imo, so the more of them the worse the game imo.

Actually, I've never had a request for a sniper rifle. That's because sniper rifles are almost exclusively used by bandits for PvP, and the only interaction I have with bandits is them trying to shoot my helicopters down. I have nothing but disdain for bandits, and have not yet killed anyone except for bandits (and that was before my "hacking" days). Irregardless of who I hand out weapons to, your posts have offered an interesting perspective showing me how players that are committed to actually playing the game are negatively affected even if I have friendly intentions. However cliche or dumb it sounds, I really did set out to help, but it appears I have had more negative impact than positive. I'm done with hacking things in for a while, and not just because setVehicleInit and CreateVehicle functions are now logged.

• Like 2

Actually, I've never had a request for a sniper rifle. That's because sniper rifles are almost exclusively used by bandits for PvP, and the only interaction I have with bandits is them trying to shoot my helicopters down. I have nothing but disdain for bandits, and have not yet killed anyone except for bandits (and that was before my "hacking" days). Irregardless of who I hand out weapons to, your posts have offered an interesting perspective showing me how players that are committed to actually playing the game are negatively affected even if I have friendly intentions. However cliche or dumb it sounds, I really did set out to help, but it appears I have had more negative impact than positive. I'm done with hacking things in for a while, and not just because setVehicleInit and CreateVehicle functions are now logged.

My beans, I give you all of them. I wish you a happy and prosperous life, for you have chosen the path of righteousness.

But now I'm once again considering waiting for the stand alone. Can't seem to survive for more than a couple of hours without getting hacked and killed. I once had a character for a couple of weeks, seems impossible to do that now.

lol, you got my beans too. Took a bit of courage to post that im guessing. So you've got my respect too.

It has happened to me a few times. My friend and I shot two hackers yesterday after they tried to be friendly, which really pissed them off. They found us again and killed us, but it was definitely worth it.

I could not give a feck if they have good intentions. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

So you think they were mad and it was worth it? You spent countless hours with that roll and they clicked 2 buttons to get everything they had and to get to you to kill you. Doesn't take much to satisfy you does it? lol.

I'm looking for a girlfriend to play DayZ with too; any takers? I'd prefer someone moody, depressing - has to be a whiner and above all NEEDS TO CRY.

P.S. Script kids think they're tough, until they get banned. Then they're nothing. I wonder what it feels like to know you both have and are nothing.

-MONSTER

uhhh.. what do they do? they go buy a new cd key off the hacker forums for 4$ a piece, or in bulk for 3$ a piece. You know the stolen ones battleye has been warning you of? Ya those.