billyangstadt

Rough models for the green pouch items.

Excellent work dut. You should PM a staff member with an inquiry and links to some of your work if you haven't already,

That's some fine model work. Also' date=' as far as I know, the compass and watch are just GUIs, not actual models.

[/quote']

That's what I thought too but when I opened up the game to get reference pictures I noticed that they are highly detailed models. If the game already preloads them then it will save memory if the ground model shares the gui model, there's probably a good reason why they don't already do this but I don't know.

Making the models and texturing them is only half the work. ArmA is a finicky mistress and I've yet to figure out how to put anything in game. Honestly I would be content with just the makarov magazine model being replaced, because goddamn it is annoying checking the same loot pile twice to find it is just 3 makarov mags.

These models are really awesome Dut

Get some staff to implement these models/

This could easily be a community project considering how busy the dev team is and how little effort it takes to model and texture these things.

E7EWA.jpg

(5 minutes' date=' 5 polys, 35kb texture)

If somebody could post a list of things that spawn in green pouches that would be a good start.

[/quote']

Actually looks nice.

1911 mag is a small ammo box with yellow/green markings. .45 ACP is yellow/red.

they are both .45 ACP' date=' that's why they look almost identical

[/quote']

Makes sense, but put in that context, it would be better if we could find boxes or blisters of ammo and fill mags and jet reloaders with them.

Yes, ammo boxes being able to reload mags you've already acquired.

I got bored, so i thought i'd randomly do a compass for no apparent reason.. Not amazing but not awful for my 6th model ever? Still cant seem to beat my first model though :(

Edit. i just notice she's got a massive arse & would look alot better textured.

Very nice work!!!

this needs to be stickied or bumped to death.

Nice work' date=' I'll bump to support. I have 3DS max but I'm god awful with it.

[/quote']

There's no such thing as awful, takes practice.. Ive done less than 10 models(with no tutorials) unless if im stuck & need to find a solution to what needs to be done.

Start small, here's my second ever model.

Aslong as you've got the passion the model will flow n show.

for a 6th model ever it does look pretty good' date=' would be fun to see the wireframe of it

[/quote']

was a few months ago, i tend to format every 6-8 months ago but ill have a look. It was around 45k polygons which i thought was bad but the tin can's for dayz are around 30k

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/05/trashcan_3dsmax.png

It was ment to be a grenade but ended up being a morningstar type mace haha which i could do again easily. Texturing is my main issue

Excellent work guys, may i add that watches are also in green pouches? If i could model i would contribute.

Excellent work guys' date=' may i add that watches are also in green pouches? If i could model i would contribute.

[/quote']

First step is trying :)

The work in this thread is truly amazing seeing that this is from the community.

Brilliant work gents.

Those AK and AKM mags are excellent. The color is just about perfect.

Thanks for link and suggestions, I'll send some test meshes to staff in a day or two work permitting.

+1 and a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG bump

Also, add all the pics to the OP please, then the devs can see all the work in 1 place and not 5 pages

t3hPQ.jpgE7EWA.jpgKpOjM.jpgfKc9l.jpg

Poly count from left to right: 65, 5, 115, 115.

I try to rationalize model detail by how large or how prominently they will appear in game but I don't think this is what the devs are looking for. If you check out the STANAG mag in game it is very detailed.

The 'community project' did not work out so well (except for Ejaculacid). But with the sudden influx of skilled modellers offering their services on the forum I'm sure that some official green pouch replacements will be made in the future.

Models available here: Dut_DayZ - misc 3ds.zip

If you don't have 3dsmax you can import them into Oxygen2 which is available on the BIS website. Disclaimer: They are very, very basic textures and UV maps.

Starters:

Compass

Map (done)

GPS

Mak. Magazine

Watch

ZMt3J.jpg

Makarov magazine (45 minutes' date=' 65 polys)

There is already a model for the compass and watch in the game. Maybe there is a reason why they aren't used on the ground?

Do all pistol magazines have no model?

[/quote']

maybe a compass and watch is to small to have a lone model, tbh if someone has bad eyes and just scoping the place out they wont see the small object.