Sign in to follow this  
taco241

Identifying shooting direction

Do we need a shot direction indicator when being fired at?

Recently, I've had real trouble figuring out where a shooter is (even the general direction).

I keep spinning around searching everywhere until I die.

Granted, I play using 2.1 speakers and not a good headset (I assume most use2.1) and I don't pull any tard moves like removing bushes/trees/buildings or tweak graphic settings.

Shouldn't my character at least know where the bullet came from when I got several rounds in me? or at least be able to hear the general direction (left, right, in front or behind) of a shot? I know from experience when hunting in the woods, that I can tell the general direction of shotgun and rifle sounds in neighbouring properties, 300+ meters away.

Getting kinda tired of doing a death dance whenever fired upon.

-never scripted, never will

• Like 1

It's called ears, try using them sometimes.

You can also stop using a 15 dollar mic from walmart.

• Like 1

Hell no, please stop trying to dumb this game down, use your ears

• Like 1

I'm getting 7.1 headset for this reason.

I'm little annoyed by the zombies, with my current headset, theres no telling where they are.

Sure its lame that have to upgrade, but I think better headset can be worth it for the future games too.

Screen indications, that are in every other shooter, are what I do not wish for.

Its all about Soundsystem!

Using 5.1 will definitly change youre Gameplay.

Im using a Simple Soundblaster xFI Card with 5.1 Logitech Souroundspeaker.

The Arma Surroundsound is Badass.With a bit experience you can clearly tell,which Weapon was shootet,from which Direktion in xxx Distance!

Edited by nicebasi

Sorry, but in my view, that's a terrible suggestion, my friend. With a decent headphone you can easily hear from what direction sounds originate from. After a while, you'll even be able to tell which weapon and at what distance, depending on the surroundings. I think Arma does this very well! No need to include a radar or such other crap...for lack of a better word...

I'm getting 7.1 headset for this reason.

I'm little annoyed by the zombies, with my current headset, theres no telling where they are.

I have no Problems wit Z´s on 5.1

So actually getting hit with bullets should not indicate direction either? Like a throbbing flash from the top, left, bottom, or right of the screen? Don't get me wrong, I hate overloaded HUDs and dumbed down COD style gameplay. I'm just not feeling the "reality" of spinning around when in RL I'd know where the gaping wound in my thigh originated from.

Still not on side with limiting gameplay to headphones or die but I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Edited by taco241
  • Like 1

So actually getting hit with bullets should not indicate direction either?

Do you realy think, that after being hit by a bullet, you have the patience to determine from which direction you where hit. Just imagine a bullet crushs through your leg. How do you know it was coming from in front or behind of you? Well you could look at the wound, or may be you were teared down in one direction. But most obvious would be the sound of the shot being fired, to have a vague imagination of the shooters position. Fortunately I have no such experience, but I don't think that what you have in mind is realistic.

Edited by MasterBlaster

Do you realy think, that after being hit by a bullet, you have the patience to determine from which direction you where hit.

ABSOLUTELY. Were I to get shot, I would have no other interest than to find the source of the bullet so I don't die from a second shot.

Just imagine a bullet crushs through your leg. How do you know it was coming from in front or behind of you?

How do __I__ know which direction __I__ got shot from? Please tell me you're joking? A bullet will impart a lot of energy to you, which will result in a change of momentum - i.e. you will feel yourself move in the direction the bullet was travelling.

Well you could look at the wound, or may be you were teared down in one direction. But most obvious would be the sound of the shot being fired, to have a vague imagination of the shooters position. Fortunately I have no such experience, but I don't think that what you have in mind is realistic.

I'm not 100% sure what the OP had in mind, but I can tell you from personal experience that there is more than just the sound of the gun firing to determine when you are being shot at. When a bullet comes close to you, you can _feel_ the shockwave from it. When a bullet hits the ground near you, you can _feel_ the thud of it hitting.

I have been fortunate enough to never take a bullet in the line of duty, so I can't tell you with 100% certainty that you can pinpoint where a bullet comes from, but I imagine you could get a pretty good idea from what I mentioned above. I can, however, tell you that I can tell where a bullet shot at me comes from as long as it comes within a few feet of hitting me.

I would recommend adding an instantaneous flash of red from the direction you took damage right when you take the damage... that way players have to be paying attention to catch the direction, and it's possible they spin around and become confused because they were moving right after the shot.

Edited by Rigor Mortis
  • Like 1

guys its not hard to listen to zambies or bullets, stop trying to make this game carebear friendly, we dont want this game to be a Call of Duty where it play's itself. kthxbye

• Like 1

Do you realy think, that after being hit by a bullet, you have the patience to determine from which direction you where hit.

It's not called patience. It's called being hit with the impact of a flying baseball.... If you closed your eyes and someone punched you, would you not be able to tell where someone hit you from or what part of your body you were hit?

Some gunshot wounds should make it INCREDIBLY obvious what direction you were hit from and there should be at least a momentary indicator of this for authenticity's sake. Hopefully they code this in because right now we have sight and sound and pain but no realistic reflection of how pain actually registers. You don't just get a full-body pained experience and blurry eyes, you get lingering pain in a specific part of your body on the side where the wound came from.

You should get a big, bright, sharp red mark on your screen at the angle of impact where you were hit that slowly fades out and spreads wider over time making it harder to pinpoint as the pain starts to spread. Maybe, just like painkillers and hyperventilation, it would only work if you're in first person view.

• Like 1

Yep and after you got shoot.It automaticly places a Huge red Marker over the Shooters Head and places a Jetpack right next to you,so you can punish him from the Air with Baseballs!!

seriously this is .....

I hunt...bear, deer, birds, etc. (with Bow, shotgun and rifle.)

I've never seen an animal run in the direction of a gunshot. It's usually in the opposite direction.

ALL ANIMALS know the general origin of where the shot came from when they feel the impact.

Getting mom & dad to buy a $150 pair of headphones to play an alpha as suggested by pretty much everyone is the only answer?

Think about that for a sec.

I'm not saying we need carebear handholding radar and red arrows pointing to shooting direction forchrissakes.

Just a quick, white flash of light on a side of the screen. Adding this does NOT DETRACT from realism. it ADDS it.

• Like 1

I'm using a cheap 2.1 speaker system and I can tell where shots are coming from.

You can also stop using a 15 dollar mic from walmart.

What the fuck does a microphone have to do with anything?

I've never seen an animal run in the direction of a gunshot. It's usually in the opposite direction.

ALL ANIMALS know the general origin of where the shot came from when they feel the impact.

Getting mom & dad to buy a $150 pair of headphones to play an alpha as suggested by pretty much everyone is the only answer?

I'm not saying we need carebear handholding radar and red arrows pointing to shooting direction forchrissakes.

Just a quick, white flash of light on a side of the screen. Adding this does NOT DETRACT from realism. it ADDS it.

You really dont get what we are talking about! Sure i understand what you mean but.

If i run through the Forest and Suddenly i hear a shoot! I can instantly say what Weapon it was,which Direktion and how far away was that shot!

Adding things like this will detract my Realism and understanding from a Simulation/Survival shooter.

Hello there

I'm an old OFP/VBS/A1/A2 etc etc etc player and since A2 was released I have had issues with gunshot sound location.

I'm no uber l33t player and don't pretend to be, but I just can't seem to place where those shots are coming from..

I've used Audigy internal/external (varying versions), and am now using my onboard 7.1.

I've tried with cheap headphones and reasonable price ones. 5.1 speakers and 2.1 speakers.

if there is a solution (and I'm fine in other games/sims) I'd like to know as well. Even if it's something a silly as i havn't plugged in my earphones.

You are not alone. (well there's two of us :) )

rgds

LoK

PS most other sounds are directionallly fine.

Edited by orlok

No actually, you don't need to go buy a $150 headset that is a massive over-exaggeration by you. Also just Christ, no, use your EARS, you don't need some indicator telling you where it is coming from. I use a $35 headset and I can tell perfectly where it is coming from and my hearing isn't too good.

I'm using a cheap 2.1 speaker system and I can tell where shots are coming from.

What the fuck does a microphone have to do with anything?

He meant headset.

there are 3 ways to identify the direction of fire. sound, tracer and flash.

flash is simple enough as it is the thing the weapon makes at the end of the barrel

sound is also simple enough as it is the noise made by the rounds come from the barrel and wizzing by your head

HOWEVER (in caps) THE ADMINS TURN OFF THE TRACERS ON NEARLY EVERY SERVER SO THEY CAN NOT BE SEEN

• Like 1

"Carebear": translation, anything that makes the game harder for snipers.

Directional hit markers are realistic.

You really dont get what we are talking about! Sure i understand what you mean but.

If i run through the Forest and Suddenly i hear a shoot! I can instantly say what Weapon it was,which Direktion and how far away was that shot!

Adding things like this will detract my Realism and understanding from a Simulation/Survival shooter.

"Adding more realism to the game detracts from my realism because my realism only includes things that make sniping easier."

/facepalm

Can we stop confusing "stuff that makes my sniping easier" and "stuff I really, really like" with "realism?" Realism would be windage and forcing you to carry a .50 caliber rifle in your backpack slot because it weighs as much as three other sniper rifles. Realism has nothing to do with anything you've argued against so far.

as some people said, hit indicator is realistic, because you will feel pain when bullet hits your body, and its easy to determine side from where bullet came from. if you dont believe you can ask a kid with a bb gun, to shoot you while your eyes closed.

adding realism into a game doesnt always means to make it harder, in some cases it make its easier.

• Like 1

ok guys, this is getting to much rage, first off, if it was real life and someone was shooting you, they would really only take 1 shot if they were a good shot, and you'd get hit with the bulelt BEFORE you heard the gunshot, thats how sound works, its slower then bullets specialy the farther away you got shot from, so it doesnt matter if you cant hear the dirrection currectly, you just need to trust your instincts or just guess.

"Adding more realism to the game detracts from my realism because my realism only includes things that make sniping easier."

/facepalm

1. You bring in some Complete useless stuff dude!

2. Why you Quote when typing in youre own shit i never Wrote? (Make Sniping easier?) lol

3. Back to Topic ... Im mean youre talking about some kind of "Hitindicator" lol? That means You are Hit and probably Dead?!!

4. The Essence for me of this Topic is ... Taco needs a new Soundsystem :D Because the Arma Surroundsounds are Fuckn Awesome!

5. Im outa here....