TheDee (DayZ)

Rocket and team are Lazy/Incompetent/Do not know what they are doing.

3rd person because I HATE THE HEAD BOB.. most likely others do too :|

That's kind of the "immersion" thing. To each his own but I personally perfer HC servers with no 3PC or Crosshair = ultimate immersion.

*leans back in rocking chair*

*takes out pipe from pocket*

*Taps out old tobacco*

*Spends five minutes scrapping out the remainder with a pocket knife his grandpappy gave him*

*Fills pipe with fresh tobacco*

*Lights it*

*Puffs deeply, staring off into the distance as though meditating*

*chuckles*

You know, you young ‘uns are a funny bunch. Always yammering back and forth about what should be in DayZ, and what shouldn’t, and how it’s great, and how it’s terrible, and getting yourselves all het up about stuff that a lot of you don’t really know much about at all.

Now, I’m an old man, and maybe my opinion ain’t worth a cuss to anyone but m’self, but it seems to me that all y’all would be spendin' your time more productively if you actually played the part of Alpha testers that the game as it is requires you to be.

Then maybe you’d notice that in the few months – and that’s months, not years, mind – DayZ’s been around we’ve had bandit skins introduced, taken out, tweaked, and put back in. We’ve had hero skins added so we can tell the good guys from the God-damned varmints. We’ve had zombies adjusted so many times I can’t even remember how they were when we started out, and a cute little hearbeat feature added to give you a tip-off about who’s been a’killin folk.

Way back in the day, we used to start with guns on our hips and a bagful’ of food – that’s gone. And nowadays we got choppers again, when there were none for a long, long time. Once upon a time, if you shouted, it seemed like the whole WORLD could hear you – but that went the way of the dinosaurs too.

Now, you may not believe this, but zombies were liable to break your bones on every occasion you encountered one. Thankfully, that’s also been adjusted.

And you really will think I’m pullin your chain when I say this, but at one point there wasn’t a single woman in Chernarus! Not a one of them fair creatures in the whole county. I’ll keep to myself what a lot of the guys got up to back then. Let’s just say fellers lose their civilisation a bit when there ain’t a female to tell them what’s what.

Behind the scenes, the whole stability of the project has increased. I remember times when it took 10 minutes to get into a game. Just think about that – you had time to log in, go off and feed the hogs, whip up some lemonade, and then come back and still see a loadin’ screen. And it would be that maybe you’d git in a game for a quarter hour, and the whole thing would crash, and you’d have to start agin. I doubt any of you youngsters would put up with that, but we did – we was real fired up to play this here mod back then. Still are, if truth be told.

In between times, that guy Rocket has still managed time to appear on all them talk shows and games conventions my little granddaughter likes so much – drumming up interest in his mod so that it can become a game in its own right. And guess what – he did it! How’s that? Soon, all of us is a’gittin a shiny DayZ game to play – one that’s not essentially a hack on top of an engine that was clearly designed for other uses.

Now, most of you will probably not listen to an old fart like me. And that’s just fine and dandy. But just maybe some of you will heed my words, and learn to stop and smell the zombies as you’re all a-rushing around. What we got here is mighty fine and there’s a passel o‘work gone into it, which perhaps we should stand back and appreciate, if just for a little while.

*takes another puff of pipe*

Lazy and incompetent? *chuckles* My ass .......

• Like 5

Aight, let's see some of you "pro-gamers" come up with something better... Here is where you will find all you need to produce a mod in Arma. Have fun testing all the bugs out of your brilliant contraption!

Seriously, if you've ever dabbled a bit in making missions and scripting in Arma, you'd know it's not all that easy to finetune a lot of stuff. That Rocket dude and BIS have done a pretty good job so far, me thinks. Can it be better? Ofcourse! But... {_x developPatience 1} forEachMember DayzForums...would be even better... :D

Woot?, i didnt understand jack all of your post sir,

Don't like it? go play minecraft or something

You sir make me feel sorry for your parents.

He is telling a truth and exposing his arguments, there has been no gameplay/content addition in a long time, and that is what an alpha is for.

Now some of you will say "it is a mod, developing isn't easy, it takes time to do things", well, we didn't get a single announcement about things to come, for all I know, they just work on fixing graphical bugs, bring back old features, delay the patch and dont get the graphical issue fixed.

So maybe they could be a little more communicative with the alpha community.

So before opening your mouth, use that damaged brain you have to think a bit.

People that say "DONT LIKE IT DONT PLAY IR HURR" when someone tosses a critic or a complaint about something are the worse.

Edited by ixtilion

You sir, are seriously retarded. I personally wouldn't give a shit what rocket says or does because I didn't pay for this MOD(!!!!!!!).

All you guys complaining should get your shit straightened out because you are playing this MOD for free! No Charge, nothing, nada, niente.

That actually means, that absolutely NOONE (exept for the developer also known as "rocket") has a saying of what's happening to the mod.

He could just stop developing the mod/kill the database/flip us all off because he's done this as a hobby so far.

Luckily he'll get the opportunity to show if the concept of dayz will actually work on an industrial/global scale. And it could turn out to result in an awesome sandbox MMO :)

So I sincerely hope, that he puts ALL his effort into developing the standalone game because I probably WILL pay for that.

Just play the damn game if you like it or play something else, but don't waste your precious time by ranting on about ridiculous crap on the forums.

You might even be able to contribute by giving ACTUAL constructive feedback.

Lol , did you know they sold 600 000+ arma copies for this , man you know nothing about business. I agree with some of OP's points , simple things could of been fixed a long time ago , i know many many free games that get updated weekly , they are not perfect , but the obvious gets fixed .And ill paste your own words lol : don't waste your precious time by ranting on about ridiculous crap on the forums.

You might even be able to contribute by giving ACTUAL constructive feedback.By calling another retard makes you ??? Gtfo

Have to be honest there hasn't been much in the direction of content although there has been a fix for the debug plains, I think probably most resources are now on the stand alone game. I mean they were already talking about an alpha build which had every building enter able or at least that is what I thought I read.

Personally I don't think there will be much movement from this mod anymore in terms of development, It would be odd when they have a standalone to build.

He is telling a truth and exposing his arguments, there has been no gameplay/content addition in a long time, and that is what an alpha is for.

whilst that is true to a certain extent, maybe it would help if you viewed the situation like this...

You open a sandwich shop where every week you invent a new sandwich to add to the menu and for the first few weeks you have a few hundred regular customers. Then a food critic walks by, tries a sandwich and loves it so much he writes it in his blog. Before you know it there's 1 million customers all wanting your sandwiches except you're not prepared for so many, where will they sit? how do they all reach the counter? So while you're busy building chairs and tables and asking friends to man the till/register (intercontinental!) you just don't have the time to create new sandwiches.

So instead you get offers from big food vendors, they offer you a bigger premises and hire staff for you but while you're busy trying to keep up with this massive explosion in popularity and the responsibility that comes with it your original 600 customers are moaning about how you haven't made a new sandwich in weeks and how they don't like the smell of all these new guys who they suspect are just bagelFAGS hopping on the sandwich bandwagon.

Now everyone is fighting in your shop and shouting at you to make more sandwiches with beef in and how they don't like chicken, but some other guys love chicken so now they fight and you don't know what the next new sandwich should be... So you say "fuck it" I didn't want all of this, I just wanted to make sandwiches...

I could keep this up for ages.... :blush:

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

All this Alpha talk and Rocket says this and that. Here's an example of another Alpha project with far greater scope: http://www.trinitycore.org/ Organization is key...and maybe also the know how to take something further than Alpha dabbling and script kiddie style work. Also, yes... the engine has limitations, but last I checked the Unreal Development Kit was free and can support more players and requires less for system specs.. not to mention looks 1000X better. So, let's all complain and QQ about some disappointed players and show our true ignorance by posting "not reading" all over the forums. I wanna hear from the server hosts paying each month for servers that think the project is moving along nicely. Not the freeloaders. I wanna hear how they feel about supporting something out of pocket and what they are expecting in return besides the thrill of hosting. I bought ARMA II to play DayZ, not afriad to admit it; as did most of the people here. I laugh when I read some of the comments about how you shouldn't complain that a new patch should be exactly that.. a new patch (a fix, not another experimental move in the world of a game editor toolset). I think most of us are actually worried about Rocket running off to stand alone land and leaving all of us stranded with an ignored highly glitchy version. I don't blame the guy (Rocket) the whole idea was the money. Just reminds me of the Minecraft guys.. running to events getting publicity while the game itself suffered from glitches. But hey! In the end, everyone got the joy of playing a version of Minecraft that had far less glitches once it was finished! They paid for it and NOW they can bitch about bad coding.

Lol , did you know they sold 600 000+ arma copies for this , man you know nothing about business.

Rocket was a contractor at BI, he didn't see any money from those sales, all it got him was a foot in the door and the chance to work on his dream.

But hey! In the end, everyone got the joy of playing a version of Minecraft that had far less glitches once it was finished! They paid for it and NOW they can bitch about bad coding.

That's a bad example, there have been many regular updates to minecraft since it went official, i'm not sure how this is to be seen as a bad thing?

When was the last time you worked for a million+ people for nothing but love (not that you get much love from the internet, it's full of people who think they know better without actually knowing anything in particular

Edited by ironman Tetsuo
  • Like 1

I must admit... I was a little disappointed Dogs were the newest addition to the game. I was hoping it would be more teamplay aspects or perhaps even additions to the late game. I understand that Rocket is under pressure and there's only so many hours in a day - but dogs feels like a very minor addition to a game that is still in desparate need of a late-game play. After you've played 50 hours, chances are you've obtained most of the guns, most of the vehicles and had a fair share of PvP. And then what?

I'm really hopeful that the patch after 1.7.3 will include some big improvements to the state of the late game as right now this game starts to become boring after the first 50-100 hours of play unless you're happy sitting in Cherno or Elektro sniping all the time...

Lol , did you know they sold 600 000+ arma copies for this , man you know nothing about business. I agree with some of OP's points , simple things could of been fixed a long time ago , i know many many free games that get updated weekly , they are not perfect , but the obvious gets fixed .And ill paste your own words lol : don't waste your precious time by ranting on about ridiculous crap on the forums.

You might even be able to contribute by giving ACTUAL constructive feedback.By calling another retard makes you ??? Gtfo

And did rocket get any money out of this...? No? Jeez think before posting.

Also I meant giving constructive feedback to the developers. Calling the OP a retard was just my personal opinion which is still remaining.

Oh and considering that you obviously didn't get the point of my initial post: You don't seem very bright to me too :)

EDIT: And as long as noone is starting to contribute some veritable arguments for the OPs assumptions and expectations considering the development of this free Mod the whole discussion is useless.

- Rocket got no money out of this.

- He's employed by BI now

- You bought Arma2. Not DayZ.

Hit me.

Edited by Mortal Wombat

@OP

Rocket and team are Lazy/Incompetent/Do not know what they are doing.

Really? Because I see a rather large mod for Arma.

That's a bad example, there have been many regular updates to minecraft since it went official, i'm not sure how this is to be seen as a bad thing?

When was the last time you worked for a million+ people for nothing but love (not that you get much love from the internet, it's full of people who think they know better without actually knowing anything in particular

Did you check my link? The line you quoted me saying IS the point! Wow, how obtuse can you get? Let me help, when you pay for something as a standalone and find bugs that are not being addressed in a timely manner that inhibit normal gameplay you in turn have the right to bitch about it. However, if it's free you have little room to complain especially seeing it has identified itself as "Alpha." Hope this helps you out. Please read the entire message before rushing to quote and respond.

Edited by Flexserve

3rd person because I HATE THE HEAD BOB.. most likely others do too :|

You can turn that down or off in the game options.

Blah, I started typing a reply and then realized I had already said it all countless times..

That, added to the fact that most of the things I was planning to say, have already been said in this thread, made me say screw it and cancel the post..

All that I'm going to bother saying is that the OP doesn't seem to read anything, nor understand programming and game dev.

I've been involved in design for about 10 years now, maybe a bit longer, and seen many mods come and go.

I've seen updates that didn't include *any* content, just a heap of code that improved performance and connectivity, nothing that the average player would even notice. There is so much behind the scenes code involved in a game that we could have gone the past 3 months with no visible changes, and they would still have been working non-stop around the clock.

For the last time (that I'm going to bother posting in one of these threads) it's an alpha, we're supposed to be testing, not playing it like it's a finished game:

If you don't like testing and providing feedback, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you don't like the bugs and glitches involved in testing an alpha, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you don't like hackers, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you think the game is dying, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you don't like losing your gear to bugs and glitches, wait for stand-alone to be finished...

If you don't like connection issues and crashes, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you don't want to wait for stand-alone and insist on playing an unfinished alpha of a prototype/proof of concept, don't complain when things happen.

There's nothing else to say. There is an entire team working on the stand-alone product, it will be polished and it will work perfectly, but it will be a long road getting there.

I'm along for the ride.. if you're not, stop asking "are we there yet?" every 5 minutes, and ruining the trip for the rest of us.

• Like 3

While i understand this mod is in alpha you would think with the $30million BI have already made out of people buying arma2 for dayZ alone they would have a full team working on bug fixes to bring this mod up to a good standard untill the standalone comes out.

You do understand what alpha testing of a game is right? http://en.wikipedia....ife_cycle#Alpha

you do understand that they are programming a standalone RIGHT NOW?

the mod will be updated, but not as often as before, this is common sense

if you dont like the way the devs work, just dont buy the standalone

except, you will buy it anyway, even if you are flaming here

Edited by Zombo

While i understand this mod is in alpha you would think with the $30million BI have already made out of people buying arma2 for dayZ alone they would have a full team working on bug fixes to bring this mod up to a good standard untill the standalone comes out.

There is a full team working on bug fixes.. they're working on the Stand-alone, which is using a custom version of the same engine.

Fixes that can be applied to the mod, will be, but engine issues can't be fixed in the mod, because the team has no access to the Arma2 engine code.

That is why there is not much else that can be done for some of these issues.

It's pointless for the "Full team" to work on the mod, because it will take away from the development of the actual product.

The mod was an experiment, a proof of concept if you like. The experiment was a success and now we're getting a full version of the game that we all love.

I for one am extremely happy, and I have the utmost faith in Rocket and his team.

I'm asking you , would it make ANY sense for a company to invest a large amount of manpower and money into a free MOD? Even considering the money they earned by selling more Arma2 Copys? They are going to need that money to finance the development of the Standalone DayZ game.

Noone in their right mind would invest in this mod considering that you've got a full development of the standalone game ahead of you.

I must admit... I was a little disappointed Dogs were the newest addition to the game. I was hoping it would be more teamplay aspects or perhaps even additions to the late game. I understand that Rocket is under pressure and there's only so many hours in a day - but dogs feels like a very minor addition to a game that is still in desparate need of a late-game play. After you've played 50 hours, chances are you've obtained most of the guns, most of the vehicles and had a fair share of PvP. And then what?

I'm really hopeful that the patch after 1.7.3 will include some big improvements to the state of the late game as right now this game starts to become boring after the first 50-100 hours of play unless you're happy sitting in Cherno or Elektro sniping all the time...

omfg, getting bored doing the most boring thing of all times, sniping cherno etc.? what a suprise

maybe you should try real pvp or go to another server and f*ck up a clan or two, destroy their camps and wage some war if you are that bored

get some ideas...

This:

whilst that is true to a certain extent, maybe it would help if you viewed the situation like this...

You open a sandwich shop where every week you invent a new sandwich to add to the menu and for the first few weeks you have a few hundred regular customers. Then a food critic walks by, tries a sandwich and loves it so much he writes it in his blog. Before you know it there's 1 million customers all wanting your sandwiches except you're not prepared for so many, where will they sit? how do they all reach the counter? So while you're busy building chairs and tables and asking friends to man the till/register (intercontinental!) you just don't have the time to create new sandwiches.

So instead you get offers from big food vendors, they offer you a bigger premises and hire staff for you but while you're busy trying to keep up with this massive explosion in popularity and the responsibility that comes with it your original 600 customers are moaning about how you haven't made a new sandwich in weeks and how they don't like the smell of all these new guys who they suspect are just bagelFAGS hopping on the sandwich bandwagon.

Now everyone is fighting in your shop and shouting at you to make more sandwiches with beef in and how they don't like chicken, but some other guys love chicken so now they fight and you don't know what the next new sandwich should be... So you say "fuck it" I didn't want all of this, I just wanted to make sandwiches...

I could keep this up for ages.... :blush:

And this:

Blah, I started typing a reply and then realized I had already said it all countless times..

That, added to the fact that most of the things I was planning to say, have already been said in this thread, made me say screw it and cancel the post..

All that I'm going to bother saying is that the OP doesn't seem to read anything, nor understand programming and game dev.

I've been involved in design for about 10 years now, maybe a bit longer, and seen many mods come and go.

I've seen updates that didn't include *any* content, just a heap of code that improved performance and connectivity, nothing that the average player would even notice. There is so much behind the scenes code involved in a game that we could have gone the past 3 months with no visible changes, and they would still have been working non-stop around the clock.

For the last time (that I'm going to bother posting in one of these threads) it's an alpha, we're supposed to be testing, not playing it like it's a finished game:

If you don't like testing and providing feedback, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you don't like the bugs and glitches involved in testing an alpha, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you don't like hackers, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you think the game is dying, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you don't like losing your gear to bugs and glitches, wait for stand-alone to be finished...

If you don't like connection issues and crashes, wait for stand-alone to be finished..

If you don't want to wait for stand-alone and insist on playing an unfinished alpha of a prototype/proof of concept, don't complain when things happen.

There's nothing else to say. There is an entire team working on the stand-alone product, it will be polished and it will work perfectly, but it will be a long road getting there.

I'm along for the ride.. if you're not, stop asking "are we there yet?" every 5 minutes, and ruining the trip for the rest of us.

There's about 27,000 threads in the General Discussion section, and probably 26,500 of them are the OP's post worded a bit differently. Enough already. For fuck's sake.

:edit: If you feel like voting.

Peace.

SD.

Edited by Sir Diealot
  • Like 1

I'll think you'll find that BI have another rather big game launch in a few months, everyone at the company is crunching on ARMA III, it has deadlines to meet and contracts to honour you can't just move staff around willy nilly during peak periods.

@OP

Really? Because I see a rather large mod for Arma.

Actually, if you know how to use the editor at all, you can remake this game in a day. The only big thing is the cross server database/inventory