goosemanxp

Dynamic Underground Shelters-Interiors

The other day i have the idea of creating dynamic underground shelters for this mod. Well the Arma 2 engine doesn't really allow characters under the terrain level, but this can be tricked. Aparently the engine does allow objects at really high altitudes (like 100 Km), at this distance the object it's completly invisible for the players.

Here is how it works:

When collect all the needed materials you can place a fake ground door where you want to create the shelter, this will call a script that will place the shelter in the exact possition of the fake door but 100 km up in the sky, the outside door contains a teleport script to the new shelter, and the shelter door (or a ladder in my case) contains a teleport script to the outside door. When the player goes into the outside door script, the object shelter is dynamically created and the player placed inside, when all the players go out the shelter the position of the shelter and all the objects inside are stored into the Database and the object destroyed for optimization.

Here is a video example (not dynamically created, i suck at coding, but you'll get the idea):

http://www.livestream.com/goosemannertv/video?clipId=pla_a0848b55-47a5-4feb-aaf2-cd77b9a7c313&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

I think this could be made for the empty houses too, allowing fake interiors for all the map if it's doable.

I love this idea, they could also make the inside of like the hospital, or police stations if they made the interiors.

sucks for the random person in there helicopter 100k up?

Even statically created, this would spice up the wilderness a bit, especially if they had loot tables associated with them and the possible range of settings. Say, one is an abandoned medical facility once used during the war, one perhaps a secret barracks, another a kooky end of the world survivalist's shelter.

Coming across one of these could be a player's dream... or a nightmare, if they find it to be populated with its former, reanimated inhabitants in a tightly enclosed area. A sort of high risk/high reward system, random enough to not be common, but useful enough to be worth the risk.

Interesting idea and fairly simple (those are generally the best ideas), surprises me that I've not seen anything like that before.

To optimize things further, I guess it should even be possible to spawn those underground structures on demand. However, that might lead to some other problems, and would have to be tested.

sucks for the random person in there helicopter 100k up?

I think i've readed somewhere that the top flying height for AI is like 2000 m, that is 2 km, i don't think any vehicle would go higher than 10 km high and helicopters fly lower than regular planes, the max view distance is 10 km so 10 high+10 vision = 20 Km max of vision for a player, if the shelter is at 100 km you still got 80 km up of stealth for this objects, so i think no problem in this regard.

The other day i have the idea of creating dynamic underground shelters for this mod. Well the Arma 2 engine doesn't really allow characters under the terrain level' date=' but this can be tricked. Aparently the engine does allow objects at really high altitudes (like 100 Km), at this distance the object it's completly invisible for the players.

Here is how it works:

When collect all the needed materials you can place a fake ground door where you want to create the shelter, this will call a script that will place the shelter in the exact possition of the fake door but 100 km up in the sky, the outside door contains a teleport script to the new shelter, and the shelter door (or a ladder in my case) contains a teleport script to the outside door. When the player goes into the outside door script, the object shelter is dynamically created and the player placed inside, when all the players go out the shelter the position of the shelter and all the objects inside are stored into the Database and the object destroyed for optimization.

Here is a video example (not dynamically created, i suck at coding, but you'll get the idea):

http://www.livestream.com/goosemannertv/video?clipId=pla_a0848b55-47a5-4feb-aaf2-cd77b9a7c313&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

I think this could be made for the empty houses too, allowing fake interiors for all the map if it's doable.

Sounds a lot like my secret lab idea which random spawn at the map to be a challenge for groups. :)

The only thing i can see as a drawback, other than possibly lighting or other atmospheric weird behaviour, is the problem the engine already has of dropping items in buildings. It happens a lot, you drop something when on higher floors and your item disappears (apparently, drops to the _ground_ level, but often that point is unreachable or within a wall).

Unless you only put containers in those dynamic areas, that'd be a major problem.

Anyway, that's a great idea and i'm sure that rocket is considering some kind of "instancing" for content.

I'd see this very well coupled with the "traffic map" thing that someone suggested earlier.

Clever workaround Gooseman! I would enjoy such a feature.

For the coding and general sustainability I'm just happy that isn't my headache :P

I hope it catches Rocket's interest.

Thats an excellent proof of concept. I think these would be a good alternative to tents, although since tents were recently removed, whatever is wrong with them, I wouldn't be surprised if that carried voer.

Not a bad idea at all, if it really is doable.

How would you handle bullets fired in/at/out of the shelter?

Oktyabr, the door doesn't actually open, so I don't see how there would be any chance to fire in / out.

Oktyabr' date=' the door doesn't actually open, so I don't see how there would be any chance to fire in / out.

[/quote']

Precisely.

Or see in/out. While it's a novel solution I think the fact that it would rely on portals to teleport you from one place to another would only introduce a new set of headaches, becoming a death trap for any bandit patient enough to camp outside of it being just one. How about popping in through the portal long enough to toss an HE grenade and then popping back out, cleaning up after wards?

I would much rather see time and resources dedicated to a custom map with more enterable buildings and the like.

great idea. would love to see it implemented. i guess it can work for static not-enterable buildings even better.

The goose is loose once again, well thought out my man. This game could use some random elements (besides player interaction and whatnot) to keep it interesting. To the whole bandit argument: There are easier and more nasty ways for a bandit to kill already. Camping spawns with a sniper is one of them. So I am not too worried about that.

This would help make DayZ one of the greatest mods ever, id kill to have a dark spooky lab, like the ones in stalker.

It should be implented with a 5 second delay or actually 10 second delay of getting into the shelter, go into the same animation like gutting or so. But you can jump out of the anim too just walking forward. But in general this is an epic idea, I would LOVE to see this being implented and made into the mod.

This actually exists in other games. It's called an interior. But I totally would like to see these. Furthermore, non-enterable buildings could be made enterable. (If of course someone makes an interior for it)

Great Idea, I also was thinking about underground facilities (like military secret bases or secret laboratories). I hope someday it will be added. Reminds me of "stalker" scariest places in-game :3