Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy McNulty

Yep, this mod is dying

So while the OP saying the mod is dying is a little extreme, It's impossible to ignore the numbers. And don't tell me school's back, I'm a student and its not.

Since mid-july, we've seen a drop in players in last 24 hours of about 25 percent (200k down to 150k) while also seeing a HUGE rise in unique players (700k to 1.1m)

The ratio of active players to total players have been decreasing wildly. Fact is, there's tons of people out there who really want to play but can't, because of hackers mostly.

And don't just say "if you're smart you'll go to a low-pop server", because I DON'T WANNA PLAY ON A LOW-POP SERVER dammit.. the funnest part of the game for me is meeting up/engaging other players, not putting it on easy mode (by playing with 4 ppl on the server) and looting til your hearts content, feels practically like exploiting to me.

So yeah, I mostly agree with OP... RIGHT NOW this mod is dead in the water... Im obviuosly gunna buy stand-alone but all this hacking business has put a sour taste in my mouth.

Edited by UsuallyFriendly

So while the OP saying the mod is dying is a little extreme, It's impossible to ignore the numbers. And don't tell me school's back, I'm a student and its not.

Oh really? No school has started for anyone? Interesting. My boss took his daughter up to college today so... My brothers kids start Monday... So yeah I hate to break it to you, just because you haven't started school doesn't mean that it hasn't for others, or they aren't in the process of getting ready to go back etc.

Since mid-july, we've seen a drop in players in last 24 hours of about 25 percent (200k down to 150k) while also seeing a HUGE rise in unique players (700k to 1.1m)

The ratio of active players to total players have been decreasing wildly. Fact is, there's tons of people out there who really want to play but can't, because of hackers mostly.

Fact is there was the steam sale. Fact is the game has a high learning curve. Fact is a lot of people expected a less buggy experience. Fact is several large Beta's are currently going on.

The fact is there is not just one factor at play here. Are the bugs hurting the game at the moment? Sure. Are the hackers hurting the game at the moment? Sure. Correlation does not imply Causation.

Lol noobs. I play a 10 yr old demo that has an average of 20 people online at once, 50 max. So this talk about theres only 200k people on is bs. Go back to halo

this post again! woohoo.. i love how consistent you whingy peeps are :D

Oh really? No school has started for anyone? Interesting. My boss took his daughter up to college today so... My brothers kids start Monday...

ok well 25 percent of the player base didn't start school.. and monday is still next week.... so why are the numbers dropping AS WE SPEAK

Im sure i speak for most students when i say school starts at the start of september.. c'mon man you know whats going on with this mod right now..people are getting fed up

Every mod or game I've ever seen starts off with a huge number of players and then eventually ends up evening out.

You can't call an Alpha of an un-released mod that has just been announced as a stand-alone project dead.

Wait until the stand-alone is released on the custom engine.. then the active players will spike back up.

I also don't get much time to play lately because of work and other real life things, haven't played in a few days, but I definitely will be playing again soon.

I've also got some friends who decided to wait for the graphical issues to be fixed. This will happen sooner or later, and when it does, we will see a large number of players return. Finally, while I agree that the hackers are giving the mod a bad name, I've yet to see one, and I'm sure there are others out there who haven't seen any yet either.

OP: Grow up and stop acting like the sky is falling, you have no idea what you're talking about..

Everyone below 18 pretty much has school here in Australia.

And don't tell me school's back, I'm a student and its not.

Are you fucking retarded?

I dont understand what school starting has to do with the drop of players....i mean, i really dont.....

Its not like teenagers are 24/7 occupied with school rofl

the mod is not dying, school has started again that is why the ammount of player activity as dropped, i have not played dayz the last 48 hours because of school and work.

just wait untill the next holiday the ammount of players active will spike!

Errr, to solve being killed in Elektro and Cherno.... Don't go there... Go inland when you spawn, less populated and better gear

jesus did all the TOR player move here? this exactly sounds like their reasoning, the school thing was used from december to end of january for the tortanic.

the mod is dying

but in return a new life will grow out of it

embrace the mod death and embrace the standalone, and be happy for rocket to finally get to produce his OWN game.

the entire purpose of this mod is to show the world enough that the concept will stand and warrant its own game.

it has served and achieved its purpose.

the game is transitioning from alpha to beta and most devs take the game down for various reasons, be glad you can still play it.

if rocket take this game down there is zero legal action one can take against him to begin with

Edited by BaitedHook

I can accept that the mod had a huge growth spurt and is now starting to level off.

On the other hand, this is one of the best games that I just can't be arsed to play, my last 3 deaths have come at the hands of hackers, all characters on their first day, so I'm not worried about the loot, but spending 30 mins getting from Kamenka to Elektro, only to be teleported and slayed is never going to be fun on any level. I used to stick to low pop servers, but that gets tired very quickly. I want player interaction, but that seems to mean insta-death.

This isn't a rant or a moan, its the reality of the situation - Its difficult to find the motivation to try again, I know how it'll end up, I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Less of my friends play this game mainly do to hacking. I still play but it's getting boring and updates take a bit long. I'm still hanging in there. Go Rocket, don't let us down man.

Edited by esham

I havent played the game for a while, You get bored eventually once you have half dozen tents and vehicles nothing else to do.

The hacker problem is putting me off but ive been thinking of playing for the past few days.

The problem isn't the hackers for me. I've encountered a few, but those were on crowded servers.

The problem is. And my friend stopped playing too. Major graphics glitches in Elektro, Cherno, NW airfield, randomly in the wilderness (near dear stands probably)...almost every place has graphic artifacts. I noticed when this major, game breaking (yes game breaking because the airfield and military places are the best and most fun places in the game, and sort of end game stuff)...that the population started quickly going down.

I bet people (maybe not all, but some/a lot) stopped playing due to the graphic artifacts. That pretty much make the game unplayable, unless all you do is sit in your camp and staring at the sky all day.

^ This. ^

Too bad this issue is so bad. It would seem to me that this issue combined with a lot of bullshit scripting would turn off even experienced PC gamers let alone the influx of nubs that the publicity has dragged in.

Fix er up boys. This Alpha is peoples first look at DayZ and right now it isn't pretty.

That said, Rocket and co. have accomplished a hell of a lot with very little so far.

Edited by AryanBoogeyman

I hope this game continues to "die" for another few months. The game got too big too fast. It used to be a niche community that felt more on point with what rocket was visioning and okay at the rate he did that. Now it has grown to be very large and different ideologies from every playstyle are now being heard. More people feel entitled and like they have a right to complain as alpha testers. I have alpha tested 2-3 games and never once have I seen this much whine and ridiculousless. I think the release of Warz and other games though will help out a lot with that.

I've stopped playing for a couple of weeks ago since the hackers, mass bannings and the unstable as hell 1.7.2.5. Waiting for 1.7.3 and I'll enjoy it again.

It is beginning to stagnate, though and it'll only get worse as they concentrate more on the standalone and less on the mod.

i look forward to its player pop when war z launches....most of u will say its sucks but youll play it...you know it...hell even if you try it will still give them a pop jump....how many active acct/players do u think dayz has? out of the 1mill prob less than 1/2 are dedicated players...

Just look on players in last 24 hours. Its around 153 000, and its decreasing every day. A lot of people I know stopped playing this due to haxors, useless tents and coz there's nothing to do anymore. Yeah, there's more unique players every day but its flustrating as fuck to play dayZ today as beginner coz you're easy target for assholes camping in Cherno/elektro and getting killed by haxors several times a day.

Cant wait for dayZ standalone.

Now the good news about this.. if the population drops real low then Rocket can work on game content again rather than server and hive issues to make a better game.

I can handle bugs, I can handle grafic problems. But the fact that hackers killed me 4 times a day is frustrating. The whole game concept is destroyed by that, because you just cant survive. The only thing you can do know is running around cities grab a weapon and kill other players. But why should I do this in Dayz?? I can do this in BF3 too and have more fun.

There is no point of collecting good stuff over time, go to NE airfield have some adventures with your buddies and being excited finding good weapons.

Cause you just gonna die by a hacker. And I died also on servers with one player on by fuc*ing artillery. So its frustrating and unavoidable. And where is the point to wait for and patch or update 3 month which will probably fix some issues.

I buyed arma2 because of Dayz... its gameplay was unique. very pity somehow.

i'll be honest i haven't really logged in in about 3 days mostly 'cause I'm fully stacked and don't wanna lose it to hackers so end up just playing another game instead lol

my own damn fault but meh

i agree vaguely that standalone hopefully will be the start of something new but it will have its own set of problems for sure

Less of my friends play this game mainly do to hacking. I still play but it's getting boring and updates take a bit long. I'm still hanging in there. Go Rocket, don't let us down man.

What other video game introduces updates almost every other week? fuck me, people are impatient