CSPhobos

Suggestion to combat server hoppers

I just thought about something that could be implemented through the hive handshake: Keep track of last servers visited for 5 minutes, and disallow returning to them if the server is changed.

Example:

I am in server A

I get shot in server A, so I move to server B

I move my location, rejoin server A.

I cannot enter A because I moved to B. I must wait 5-15 minutes to return to server A.

Ways around this: I could go to a server C (or D, E, etc) and then back to A, but this would be prevented by tracking within a timeframe instead.

Just an idea. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Phobos

• Like 3

Sounds like more stress on the hive to me. Although I do like the concept you're going for.

Found a dude sniping outside of cherno, he was moving around quite a bit, looking for better angle or something, I'm not sure. I get within shooting distance and begin to light him up with my AKM, and the little jerk leaves.

I sit around for a few mins thinking he may come back and I can finish him off. Instead he came back in somewhere else and started sniping at me (An AWFUL shot, too...how do you miss a stationary target?). Anyway, it irritated me, almost getting killed by a douche like that.

• Like 1

That is an excellent suggestion I think. I haven't been killed by a server hopper yet but every time someone DCs on me I am paranoid they will just log back in at a good vantage point. Only a matter of time till it happens I guess.

Would also be nice if people who log off in high traffic areas are moved to the coast or into the nearest forest when they spawn. Hate it when I think I am alone in a building and someone just happens to spawn behind me the second my back is turned.

Edited by Dude
  • Like 1

One character per server, All problems involving server hopping, ghosting and empty server farming... Solved. This would also help build communities within each server which makes they more fun to play on. As for Hackers, the Admins should be monitoring their servers, when they are, hackers aren't really an issue.

Edited by Psychobob
  • Like 3

One character per server, All problems involving server hopping, ghosting and empty server farming... Solved. This would also help build communities within each server which makes they more fun to play on. As for Hackers, the Admins should be monitoring their servers, when they are, hackers aren't really an issue.

and what if the server you are on goes offline?? or everyone just gets inactive..:/

not really a solution. and if the server doesnt update to a new version you cant play either.

and what if the server you are on goes offline?? or everyone just gets inactive..:/

not really a solution. and if the server doesnt update to a new version you cant play either.

Then you move to a new server and start over.

Servers should be forced to update but have a backup incase of catastrophic bugs. In the final product this won't be an issue.

If a server updates then you can update to continue playing. If the server doesn't update then you don't have to update, unless you're using the shitty Six Launcher(nobody should be using it)

Edited by Psychobob

accept it like a man.

if your favorite server doesnt update, why should you?

hmm..^^ seems like i missunderstood what he meant..:/

i thought that you meant by character boundet to a server, that you only could create one character boundet to one server per cd-key.

im fine with the "start over on a new server". would be pretty cool, because losers dont farm topnotch weapons on protected servers, to snipe newbs on mass-servers. would be a huge data-stream for the hive though

I've been reading the Sword Art Online novels and I have an idea regarding this server hopping issue inspired by the Seed system of transferring characters.

To expand on what Psychobob said of one player per server.

How about you your player profile on the Hive and you choose your game server. You spawn in said server and it becomes your "home" server and cannot join any other server. You grow tired of this server because of hackers, hoarders, whatever.

You transfer your character to a new server but in fair warning will spawn on the coast as a fresh player BUT with your gear and statistics intact.

Probably still intensive on the Hive but it would stop people leaving one server for another just for a tactical advantage.

• Like 1

Rocket should include a log out timer in which you HAVE to go prone and hide somewhere safe and have to wait 60 seconds before logging out.

I hate getting the jump on a bandit, and then he blinks into nowhere :'(

• Like 1

I think it sounds like a good idea, but i think 5 minutes is enough.

I think it sounds like a good idea, but i think 5 minutes is enough.

that may be a little too long giving that you might simply want to go onto a different server :/ if you're engaged in direct contact in the middle of a fucking field which is what most derpy bandit decide to do ignoring that there is a tree line effective for cover...it just tickles my beans. (not in a good way my friend)

BUT I like where you're coming from :P

It's a tough decision since we can't have both the freedom of keeping our stuff globally, but it is a lot safer to have one per server. :/

As for the stress on the hive, it would merely call for more servers, which could be funded by the standalone. However, we don't know exactly how the standalone will work.

Edited by CSPhobos

I posted my idea for this topic last night... http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/71750-one-character-per-server/

Not sure what kind of extra load this would put on the server side of things though.

Another idea would be to fix the players position on a server to where they log off, so even if they switch to another server and move to a new location, when they log back onto the original server (where they were cowardly trying to cheat death) they would be returned to the exact location they left.