echosyp

1st person only, waypoints, what more?

I would personally love to play in a first person only version of the game as it adds an intensity that I really enjoy, but unfortunately in my considerable PC gaming life it is the only first person mode that makes me motion sick. I can tolerate head bob in most games, but the way the engine does it in ArmA 2 is just off enough that it makes me queasy if I play for too long.

Also have you ever tried to cycle off-road in first person mode? It's like sitting on an old tumble dryer turned on, while being driven over rocks in a soft suspension 4x4 car, expecting it to be a smooth ride. I had to ALT+F4 after going down my first hill because I couldn't stare at the screen for long enough to hit Abort without wanting to hurl. The fact that the screen was still bouncing everywhere behind the menu I was trying to concentrate on was just the icing on the cake.

You can turn head bob off in the options.

Really? I hop on your server from time to time. Actually the only time i didnt get kos'd at nwaf was on your server. Me and dude locked eyes both did a 180 and never crossed pathsz again. I'll hop on more often if you need regular players.

Would love to have you on the server. I won't be around much the rest of the week as I am taking a family vacation to FL. I do have another admin that will be running the server tho while I am gone and I will be checking in to make sure everything goes good.

Not like this is the only online game that has both 1st and 3rd person views....it's not a new thing at all.

Playing Duke Nukem 3D in 1997 online u had the option to change views.

1st person can be dizzying and it's not like it's all that realistic. Your field of view is tiny compared to real life, making situational awareness frustrating at times. I understand the lack of realism in looking around corners but overall I think 3rd person is a better experience.

Edit: Just saw that someone said you can turn head bob off. Wasn't aware of that. I think that's a good feature because the head bob thing is stupid. In real life, your brain and body naturally seem to absorb a lot of head movement and compensate for vibrations. I don't get motion sickness from running.

Edited by AnarchyBrownies

Not trying to get name calling and e-z mode life complaining from the thread. Just trying to understand the majority of reasons people don't play on 1st person only servers.

Yes field of view might look smaller and people like watching their character. But in all honesty, who here plays 3rd person view so u can look around corners and over walls to kill other players easier?

Yes using vehicles in 1st person is crappy at times, but I think combining 1st person only with no crosshairs is a nice combination for people to less likely get killed.

And yes some of the weapons have bad iron sights when shooting at a target far off, but over all it's not a bad experience to get use to and greatly helps your game skills I believe.

Our server keeps it off we have okay amount of people you seem to get a better group of people with it off I guess it's a quality or quantity thing take your pic

Exactly, 3DP:off for me and I hope Rocket will remove easy mode from standalone. so the casuals will cry and leave but it's the casuals who brought upon us hacking, duping and

senseless griefing.

Roll down the grass infront of you and position yourself on a hill, anyone expecting to lay down in foot high grass and see everything in front of them is just stupid.

I enjoy how people try to make excuses for 3rd person but then say nameplates need to go, you don't want to see nametags through walls but you're ok with seeing an entire character through the wall?

Who cares. The physics in this game are beyond retarded anyway. You can roll UP HILL just as fast as you can roll down hill.

If you're so hardcore, you shouldn't have a problem facing off against "casuals" with their third person "exploit" on, because you're so hardcore, aren't you? Kids these days.

Back on topic, I've seen a steady drop in my server population regardless of settings. The population spike and hype is over and and people are seeing the game for what it is (a huge mess) and moving on. The game has far too many servers and too little players now, this should hopefully change as server owners hit their due dates and start canceling.

If you're so hardcore, you shouldn't have a problem facing off against "casuals" with their third person "exploit" on, because you're so hardcore, aren't you? Kids these days.

Back on topic, I've seen a steady drop in my server population regardless of settings. The population spike and hype is over and and people are seeing the game for what it is (a huge mess) and moving on. The game has far too many servers and too little players now, this should hopefully change as server owners hit their due dates and start canceling.

I hope so, going to keep my server up and running as long as possible. Maybe things will pick up soon

I don't care about crosshairs or third person really. As long as third person is out there, I'll try to get on servers with it, but I'll be glad when the standalone standardizes the ruleset so we don't have it anymore. Also, waypoints cheapen navigation. I use them often as a medic, but they really should be taken out.

I've seen a steady drop in my server population regardless of settings. The population spike and hype is over and and people are seeing the game for what it is (a huge mess) and moving on. The game has far too many servers and too little players now

The number of players has definitely been decreasing over the last 30 days, and especially over the last 10 or so. See http://arma2.swec.se/game/statistics. The peak number of players over this last weekend dropped by about 4000 compared to the weekend after the July 26th patch.

I hope this ultimately means the game will stabilize into something a bit little more sane than it has been recently.

US 23, hosted out of Dallas Texas UTC -6 CENTRAL TIME

Well if your server still has 3rd person off ill stop by at some point today. Kinda been looking for a new home server.

Edited by Alyas B

Well if your server still has 3rd person off ill stop by at some point today. Kinda been looking for a new home server.

Unfortunately we changed back to 3RD on but can go back to 1st only if we can get enough people to stay

IMO, all these options should be disabled:

Nametags, Crosshairs, 3DP, Waypoints, everything.

Sadly, it's incredibly hard to find a server with those settings.

And 1st person isn't that bad to play in, just disable the head bob and you're fine.

One of the reasons that people didn't go on your server probably was that you didn't name it correctly, and that waypoints were still on.

I know, not having waypoints makes it harder, but I consider them cheating, since they make the GPS completely obsolete.

Edited by H@buster

IMO, all these options should be disabled:

Nametags, Crosshairs, 3DP, Waypoints, everything.

Sadly, it's incredibly hard to find a server with those settings.

And 1st person isn't that bad to play in, just disable the head bob and you're fine.

One of the reasons that people didn't go on your server probably was that you didn't name it correctly, and that waypoints were still on.

I know, not having waypoints makes it harder, but I consider them cheating, since they make the GPS completely obsolete.

Named correctly? The way u see it in the server list is the way it came from the hosting provider.

Either 3rd/1st or 1st only is fine by me (though i will admit 1st only takes some getting used to in Arma2/DayZ).

However, I'm not sure how the "3rd person exploit" is any different than the "right-click your mouse to see an unrealistically far distance exploit."

But right-click certainly is not used by hardcore gamers... as it makes the game too easy, cheapens the game/experience, is unrealistic, gives snipers/campers super powers, etc etc... :huh:

Holding right click is by no means unrealistic. You must be very short-sighted IRL to think of it like that.

I can definitely see as far as the game allows me to and I find it to be a very good and smart feature, because otherwise the resolution will ALWAYS limit how far you can see things in a quite unrealistic way.

About the naming:

You'll have to name your server so people know what they get when they go on.

Also, having a MOTD about disabling head bob will help all the noobs that the DayZ community consists of.

Everything is in the name

DayZ - US 23 (1.7.2.5/95883) (Veteran|3RD:On|CH:ON) dayzmod.com - Desync | Vilayer.com

Not sure why you would turn off 3rd person. We dont play with crosshairs or any of the other luxuries, but 3rd person is crucial imo.

Holding right click is by no means unrealistic. You must be very short-sighted IRL to think of it like that.

I can definitely see as far as the game allows me to and I find it to be a very good and smart feature, because otherwise the resolution will ALWAYS limit how far you can see things in a quite unrealistic way.

short-sighted or near-sighted? :D

the point i'm trying to make is... never IRL have i been able to "zoom" my vision to get a "closer look" at something than the already IRL FOV I have. (not arguing for/against being able to see as far as Arma's engine allows me to). I just think the debate of "this view/that view" etc., is flawed. If it was about "fair" then shouldn't the game be locked to specific resolution, have every one forced to play on the same size monitor, same hardware, etc? So that no one would have any advantage? (just being devil's advocate is all).

Anyways, like I've stated... I don't have a real preference either way... and no desires to anger anyone :)

short-sighted or near-sighted? :D

the point i'm trying to make is... never IRL have i been able to "zoom" my vision to get a "closer look" at something than the already IRL FOV I have. (not arguing for/against being able to see as far as Arma's engine allows me to). I just think the debate of "this view/that view" etc., is flawed. If it was about "fair" then shouldn't the game be locked to specific resolution, have every one forced to play on the same size monitor, same hardware, etc? So that no one would have any advantage? (just being devil's advocate is all).

Anyways, like I've stated... I don't have a real preference either way... and no desires to anger anyone :)

I understand what you are saying, but to me it's just like me looking across the field. When I right-click to zoom in I don't see things bigger or better. The players that are far off are still small and can easily be overlooked.

But when I am standing behind a wall and someone is using 3RD person to look over the wall so they know exactly where I am or use it to peek around a corner without being seen then that's a bit unfair.

But like u said, I have no desire to anger anyone. Just asking questions to see what people prefer and how their play style differs.

Never know when someone could message you and say thank you for your input, we are so and so from gamers online company and we was doing a research and we appreciate you taking time to read our post. Here is a $50 gift certificate.

Was just getting some tips and hints on how I could keep players on my server