echosyp

1st person only, waypoints, what more?

So my server is about 2 weeks old and we have went from 3rd person to 1st person only server, veteran, with waypoints enabled. Players have completely stopped coming. Is 3rd person that big of a deal on a FPS game? I have admins on just about 24/7 to help keep watch over the server, we don't reset when we lose a vehicle or get our tents raided. Most vehicles are still laying around the place waiting to be taken.

So I ask you all, what makes you want to come to a server and stay on it? I need to find a way to keep some players or just quit paying for the server all together.

I only play on servers with 3DP on. I like the ability to scan around in 3rd Person and such. Crosshairs i also like, but aren't a do or die thing. Waypoints and ability to see people on the map is "cheap". I dont mind waypoints because thats just infinite navigation once you have a map, but seeing yourself on a map is a turnoff for a server.

I think if your up-to-date and well managed, switching to 3DP:ON may draw more people in to play.

My ideal veteran server:

3DP:ON

CH:ON

Tracer:OFF

NT:OFF

Waypoints:ON

Map Placement:OFF

If there's an option to make a game easier, and you aren't utilizing it on your server, then they won't use that server. The same reason a lot of people don't play night servers, it's easier during the day. Anyways, I'm hoping in the standalone it's locked to first person. Makes the game a lot more intense.

Edited by Brudagon
  • Like 6

If there's an option to make a game easier, and you aren't utilizing it on their server, then they won't use that server. The same reason a lot of people don't play night servers, it's easier during the day. Anyways, I'm hoping in the standalone it's locked to first person. Makes the game a lot more intense.

If there's an option to make a game easier, and you aren't utilizing it on their server, then they won't use that server. The same reason a lot of people don't play night servers, it's easier during the day. Anyways, I'm hoping in the standalone it's locked to first person. Makes the game a lot more intense.

I guess you are right and that makes sense. If people can't play E-Z Mode then they won't play. As being an online gamer for 18 years now, they have changed A LOT in the recent years. I guess the more of a challenge the less a lot of people like it. 3rd person is kind of cheap IMO, because u can easily check around corners and over walls. We should have to use the environment around us, like maybe have to look at the window of the super market to see if we see someone's reflection around the corner, or if shadows was mandatory have to use them.

Its just everyone has their own likes and dislikes and it seems more people love 3rd person than the people who would rather have it off. Guess I will turn 3rd person back on, leave crosshairs on, leave waypoints on and hope I get some players.

I've even offered people vehicles or gear because my group I play with have been playing for months now and have collected more than enough gear. But then you get the people who love to browse the forums and are quick to yell duper or vehicle hoarder when they have no idea.

Thank you all for the input.

Edited by Desync

3rd person is a big deal. The VR engine can be vomit inducing to many players. There is no way they will make dayz standalone locked to first person. The option has been there since VR1 over tens years ago. If you want players just keep it on veteran but turn 3rd person on.

• Like 1

CH:OFF

Waypoints:ON

Edited by Magicool
  • Like 3

or turn it into the other extreme with nothing enabled.

I only play on expert servers without chat, waypoint, 3rd person and so on. Im a friendly player and because of that im allways in the drawback with 3rd person enabled. And there are viewer bandits playing on such servers.

Guess I am going back to 3DP: ON and see how it goes.

You won't get high traffic with 3rd person off. With the stakes high, no one will give up eyes in the back of their head and the ability to see around corners if they aren't confident in their abilities. Coincidentally, this seems to keep hackers out as well.

• Like 1

in real life you have a wider range of view, that monitor+fps can't cover,

that +hermits like me love to play it safe in 3rd person view, always know what's around me.

but since you mentioned free vehicles, I'd rly like to have a go for real at a chopper, it taken? :V

Having third person on is just as bad as nametags and crosshairs. Some people cried about my nametags showing in my newest montage, yet these are the same people who want to play with third person to be safe.

Idiocy. ;)

• Like 4

in real life you have a wider range of view, that monitor+fps can't cover,

that +hermits like me love to play it safe in 3rd person view, always know what's around me.

but since you mentioned free vehicles, I'd rly like to have a go for real at a chopper, it taken? :V

The pilot got disconnected while flying it and it crashed. Trust me I heard about it for 3 days straight. Kept asking if I was sure it wouldn't come back on restart.

I know some people who cannot play in 1st person, it makes them sick.

Guess I am going back to 3DP: ON and see how it goes.

Don't give in to the whiners who want their "hardcore" game, but without all of the features that make it hard.

No nametags, no crosshairs, no 3DP. Ever.

What's your server? I might stop by.

• Like 5

US 23, hosted out of Dallas Texas UTC -6 CENTRAL TIME

Waypoints:OFF

Playing a game that actually renders my entire character and not just a floating camera, I want to take advantage of it. Not so much to peek around corners, just because I like watching the model, spamming reload and vault.

• Like 2

Waypoints:OFF

Playing a game that actually renders my entire character and not just a floating camera, I want to take advantage of it. Not so much to peek around corners, just because I like watching the model, spamming reload and vault.

My thoughts exactly.

Third person allows for exploiting and needs to be removed, it was not intended for a PvP environment and every PvP ArmA server (and even most PvE groups) disable it themselves.

A poor decision by BIS a few years ago is not an excuse to keep your exploits today.

• Like 6

I know some people who cannot play in 1st person, it makes them sick.

Sounds like they need to turn headbob off. One of the dumbest things ever put into games and completely unrealistic.

its a good thing, its more realistic then the boxed, bouncy view first person gives you. imo 3rd person gives you more of a perifiral field of view, i never use it to look over walls or around walls, that may be just because i enjoy the realism. and as soon as i enter a building or am in combat mode i jump straight into 1st person

its a good thing, its more realistic then the boxed, bouncy view first person gives you. imo 3rd person gives you more of a perifiral field of view, i never use it to look over walls or around walls, that may be just because i enjoy the realism. and as soon as i enter a building or am in combat mode i jump straight into 1st person

I don't understand if you want more prephrial view raise your FoV or double tap numpad -. Third person isn't needed at all. All it does is introduce the possibility of exploits, it is no different than nameplates.

when i discovered waypoints i loved the navigation bonus, but now i dont like it, its too easy. males the map seem smaller.

i do like 3dp on tho, cos i like to see my char, and it makes travelling better.

no, if you have a person standing behind you shoulder IRL or are standing on a player IRL you would feel, or see or know about it, 3dp gives you that feeling IMO, double tapping - gives you the shittest distorted image.

i dont see why people complain about 3dp, dont like it? play on a aserver with it disabled, pretty fucking simple

• Like 4