Slobbergoat (DayZ)

Arma 2's mechanics make dayz lame

This community has become so poisonous that speaking out against a clearly outdated engine invites fantastic levels of fanboy rage.

So much this.

This game has seen a surprising amount of sucess for how many huge flaws it has, but expecting to flow on that dying momentum into a standalone game is going to end badly. This game is a timebomb right now and anyone who has watched their main servers slowly depopulate and their clan mates disappear one by one should know this.

The crappy engine is the reason for most of this games flaws, including all the cheaters and script kiddies on it.

I think by far the rule OP is a Fagit has been proven much more in dayz forums than in any other medium, its actually quite astounding.

Have to agree, the game could be much better on a good engine.

In retrospect, I agree that playing the game like left 4 dead isnt the answer. I just wish the controls were a little more user friendly.

I played arma 2 for about an hour and half and absolutely hated it. Not my kind of game. But, Dayz is very cool and I am enjoying it, minus the controls.

ArmA3's getting a revamp of usability. But it will also have more complex actions:

"How do the new animations affect close quarters combat? (@craig_vg)

You heard it here: Arma 3 is balanced for double lean. The new stance animations operate as modifiers. Like Arma 2, you still hit Q or E to lean, X to crouch, and Z to go prone. But you can take an additional step left or right by hold Ctrl and hitting Q or E again. These adjustments are specific to each stance, so if you’re crouched and hit Ctrl + W, you’ll poke your head and upper body up a bit. If you’re prone, you can twist to the right by hitting Ctrl + E."

And ArmA2 can also use the TrackIR head tracking system, unlike most games.

So much this.

This game has seen a surprising amount of sucess for how many huge flaws it has, but expecting to flow on that dying momentum into a standalone game is going to end badly. This game is a timebomb right now and anyone who has watched their main servers slowly depopulate and their clan mates disappear one by one should know this.

The crappy engine is the reason for most of this games flaws, including all the cheaters and script kiddies on it.

ArmA2 didn't have all these hackers until DayZ came along.

• Like 1

ArmA2 also didn't have nearly as many active players before DayZ came along.

Wasn't a bad thing having less players either, doesnt matter if theres 500,000 players on different srvers as long as the one your on has players.

Ive been a fan of the series since OFP came out in 2001. It IS clunky. Thems the breaks, but as said it wasn't designed to me a Zombie survival RPG, and being stuck in animation loops is extremely frustrating, especially when your pulling out bino's in a firefight or being chased by zeds, but until A3 or Dayz standalone comes out theres is more or less nothing we can do about it, if they could, modders would have been doing so for the last few years.

DayZ mod isn't half bad, in fact its pretty fucking good and i'd say the player base says that alone, but one thing ive learned from years of gaming is that on ANY forum the game is always dying, sucks and the sky is most certainly falling.

For now, I, and most of you will continue to play(test) this amazing piece of work and hope that most of the big annoyances are ironed out in the next iterations, dodging bugs, hackers bandits and various other nasties along the way.

ArmA2 also didn't have nearly as many active players before DayZ came along.

Which is fine, the Arma community has always been quality over quantity

• Like 2

Mon, i can only use wasd and space, and the game you buy for me, don't use only this, can we return and trade for _ _ 3

Obs:arma is not user friendly, is buged as hell, le'ts see arma 3 =D

The engine used in ARMA is not perfect for a game like Day Z by any means. However, saying it's an outdated, "crappy" engine is extremely harsh, if not ignorant IMO.

Now, it does have its fair share of problems. Namely animations and transitions between them which can be very annoying. It's not a CQC game, but movement inside buildings is unnecessarily clunky. Climbing ladders, opening and closing doors and picking up stuff is without a doubt much more complicated than it could be but you have to understand you don't actually do that very often in ARMA. I've seen people complaining how awful jumping is in the game. Yes, if you try to use it as a 110m hurdles simulator it will be terrible. The thing is, the jump action was only added to avoid frustration when going over smaller objects. It was never meant to be an actual jumping button.

Game mechanics and character control in ARMA 2 do differ to other games, but the above mentioned problems aren't the only difference. Unlike other shooters, the first person view is not just a floating camera with arms and some weapon animations attached. The actual 3D model that you see from the outside is what you see from the first person as well. You actually shoot from your weapon rather than the center of the screen. This makes a bigger difference than you might think. Believe it or not, despite the clunkiness, this kind of character control is one of the things people like the most about OFP/ARMA.

The thing with ARMA is, it's a huge, non player-centric game. You can place two opposing groups on a completely different part of the map to you, and they will still engage each other as if you were in the actual battle. The engine supports absolutely huge maps and features realistic ballistics. In a lot of ways it is unique to all other games out there.

How does any of this make the Day Z mod any better? It doesn't, but with Day Z going standalone, it means they can very easily solve issues such as opening/closing doors and picking up stuff while still retaining the good sides of the engine. Rocket recently said they'll change the whole inventory system. Rightly so, because it is very much needed for a game like this.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not trying to make anyone like ARMA. I'm just a little suprised not more people recognize the RV engine for what it is and what it does better than others do, even if military sim stuff isn't their thing at all. It seems a lot of people are of the belief that ARMA 2 is a crappy old game that was "dead" before Day Z mod came along and are quick to suggest a corridor shooter engine should be used instead. I say the underlying engine is, and will be what will make Day Z unique to all other copies that will undoubtedly come out, including War Z.

• Like 4

what engine do you have in mind that is capable of maps that size, hundreds of players and the degree of realism that's needed for dayz? please make an example. otherwise i'll just call "BS" on this thread and will say that the engine is perfect for dayz.

The engine used in ARMA is not perfect for a game like Day Z by any means. However, saying it's an outdated, "crappy" engine is extremely harsh, if not ignorant IMO.

People often think that RV engine was designed only for Arma and can't run any other type of game.That in not true. I wrote this before and i write it again go check Carrier command: gaea mission its strategy game based on VR2 ( Arma1 engine). Its even older version of the engine.

Go back to left 4 dead if you want jumping around and easy but controls. DayZ is like Arma a simulator, not Quake 3. Not having full control over the character / being somewhat clumsy is part of the realism and adds to the atmosphere. Hopping around giving headshots is not.

I could not imagine this game with any other engine. I have to admit I didn't play Arma 2 before DayZ. I did play the old Arma back then and really liked the simulation kind of game though. As already stated, huge map size, real time, perfect weather effects and pitch black nights. Really feeling lost in the woods.

The Arma engine is amazing and the graphics look truly wonderful and close to photorealism at some places (the landscapes) and a bit outdated at other places (cities). All in all its the best engine one could currently use for a game like DayZ, maybe a heavily modified Battlefield 3 engine would do better.

Other than general issues with common bugs. Like not being able to pick up an Alice pack because here are items surrounding it.

The only thing i hate about the engine is it's feeling of unresponsiveness. Like pulling out my pistol whilst on the run from Zombies... You know the ridiculous amounts of blood + bandages i would've saved if i didn't have to pause to take out my M1911??

Oh and i also agree with the vault thing... The cleanest vault i've ever seen remains in BF3 thus far. Whilst this one (animation wise) makes sense; it feels as if your characters a bit too.. paranoid, or cautious for his own good. Which makes him slow... and unresponsive.

Now, it does have its fair share of problems. Namely animations and transitions between them which can be very annoying. It's not a CQC game, but movement inside buildings is unnecessarily clunky. Climbing ladders, opening and closing doors and picking up stuff is without a doubt much more complicated than it could be but you have to understand you don't actually do that very often in ARMA. I've seen people complaining how awful jumping is in the game. Yes, if you try to use it as a 110m hurdles simulator it will be terrible. The thing is, the jump action was only added to avoid frustration when going over smaller objects. It was never meant to be an actual jumping button.

Game mechanics and character control in ARMA 2 do differ to other games, but the above mentioned problems aren't the only difference. Unlike other shooters, the first person view is not just a floating camera with arms and some weapon animations attached. The actual 3D model that you see from the outside is what you see from the first person as well. You actually shoot from your weapon rather than the center of the screen. This makes a bigger difference than you might think. Believe it or not, despite the clunkiness, this kind of character control is one of the things people like the most about OFP/ARMA.

The thing with ARMA is, it's a huge, non player-centric game. You can place two opposing groups on a completely different part of the map to you, and they will still engage each other as if you were in the actual battle. The engine supports absolutely huge maps and features realistic ballistics. In a lot of ways it is unique to all other games out there.

How does any of this make the Day Z mod any better? It doesn't, but with Day Z going standalone, it means they can very easily solve issues such as opening/closing doors and picking up stuff while still retaining the good sides of the engine. Rocket recently said they'll change the whole inventory system. Rightly so, because it is very much needed for a game like this.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not trying to make anyone like ARMA. I'm just a little suprised not more people recognize the RV engine for what it is and what it does better than others do, even if military sim stuff isn't their thing at all. It seems a lot of people are of the belief that ARMA 2 is a crappy old game that was "dead" before Day Z mod came along and are quick to suggest a corridor shooter engine should be used instead. I say the underlying engine is, and will be what will make Day Z unique to all other copies that will undoubtedly come out, including War Z.

This, this and this again. The best way you could actually put it out. I've started with OFP back in 2004 and fell in love with the feel of control of the character. Since then I couldn't stand that glued gun controls in other games thus never touched shit like bf, cod, cs or crysis. OFP/ARMA controls and feel are what make this game genetically different and what makes it stand out in the crowd of mainstream corridor shit-shooters. Personally, I would be glad to see that DayZ population reduces to 15k of decent and mature players as ARMA community always was. I just hope the hype will go away and all those cod-kiddies will just GTFO to their strafe-rocket-jump crap.

• Like 2

This, this and this again. The best way you could actually put it out. I've started with OFP back in 2004 and fell in love with the feel of control of the character. Since then I couldn't stand that glued gun controls in other games thus never touched shit like bf, cod, cs or crysis. OFP/ARMA controls and feel are what make this game genetically different and what makes it stand out in the crowd of mainstream corridor shit-shooters. Personally, I would be glad to see that DayZ population reduces to 15k of decent and mature players as ARMA community always was. I just hope the hype will go away and all those cod-kiddies will just GTFO to their strafe-rocket-jump crap.

Hell yes. This x10.

The developer team (Rocket was in the military) recognized that this game is the MOST realistic military simulator while providing an authentic gaming experience. There is no better engine for this game.

Have you tried to go from a prone fighting pos to running?

yes, with the one key i bound to "evade forward" which goes from prone to full sprint in under a second.

Other than general issues with common bugs. Like not being able to pick up an Alice pack because here are items surrounding it.

The only thing i hate about the engine is it's feeling of unresponsiveness. Like pulling out my pistol whilst on the run from Zombies... You know the ridiculous amounts of blood + bandages i would've saved if i didn't have to pause to take out my M1911??

Oh and i also agree with the vault thing... The cleanest vault i've ever seen remains in BF3 thus far. Whilst this one (animation wise) makes sense; it feels as if your characters a bit too.. paranoid, or cautious for his own good. Which makes him slow... and unresponsive.

These thing are not limited by engine. About vault and other animations check

its a animation mod. Edited by Starngere

I think the reason why people want to beat up on Arma 2 and it's engine so much is because it is very good, almost perfect infact, and it's just the annoying little things are frustrating us. i'm tired of people accusing me of being a Cod player or whatever, the fact is i dont like Cod and i dont play Cod, i like Arma 2 and DayZ because of it's maps, its realistic damage system, weapons ballistics, free look, first person view with real skeleton, head bob etc, i just dont like the Animations, animation transitions, lack of animation blending, and ground vehicle physics. Is it too much to ask for these to improved?

Edited by freeman83

All those things you listed have come a long way since Operation Flashpoint. Expect those little things to be better polished in the standalone game/Arma III

i just dont like the Animations, animation transitions, lack of animation blending, and ground vehicle physics. Is it too much to ask for these to improved?

i expect this is going to be polished in standalone.. what about this animations? ;) -