Sign in to follow this  
grasmann

"Balancing" Survivors and Bandits

But you can't carry many weapons in this game ... so I guess it

wouldn't be such a problem at all.

what is this I don't even...

The issue is that shooting people on sight doesn't have any disadvantages while being friendly does. So to balance this out I think a disadvantage should be added for killing people if you're not defending yourself. Not too harsh tho. Both playstyles need to be equally viable.

What about getting shot? Sometimes you don't take your target down immediatly or he has a nasty buddy you didn't see. If KOS was that easy, I would have never died in the game. Beeing friendly alone doesn't help you, beeing friendly, stealthy and smart however does.

What about getting shot? Sometimes you don't take your target down immediatly or he has a nasty buddy you didn't see. If KOS was that easy, I would have never died in the game. Beeing friendly alone doesn't help you, beeing friendly, stealthy and smart however does.

So does playing with a team and shooting when you've opportunity and knowledge of enemy positions.

Well, since I'm playing dayz ... I have to admit .... I'm even more disappointed in humanity than before XD lol

I always thought it was just big companies and the politics that fuck up real life ... but the people are actually

just the same ... lol :rolleyes:

Welp, I made my suggestion and that's pretty much it

Edited by grasmann

So does playing with a team and shooting when you've opportunity and knowledge of enemy positions.

Doesn't change the fact that beeing friendly and smart is not a drawback. Being stupid however is always bad, no matter if you are a carebear or a lunatic.

Well, since I'm playing dayz ... I have to admit .... I'm even more disappointed in humanity than before XD lol

I always thought it was just big companies and the politics that fuck up real life ... but the people are actually

just the same ... lol :rolleyes:

Welp, I made my suggestion and that's pretty much it

Mankind is evil, don't expect anything else. ;)

Edited by daskleineviech

While I'm not a fan of the KoS mentality, I'd have to say that surviving is too easy as it is (and boring). I say no to making it even easier by letting you keep stuff after death.

I think I will just play on emtpy servers with my buddy ... and if I hear any gunfire around me I will just ALT-F4 out and go on another empty server

Seems to be the best solution right now

Doesn't change the fact that beeing friendly and smart is not a drawback. Being stupid however is always bad, no matter if you are a carebear or a lunatic.

There is a drawback. You need to get in contact with someone before you decide to run or shoot him. Not only you need to get closer but you reveal yourself if they haven't seen you.

Taking out all sniper weapons and thermal scopes would balance a lot.

Sniper don't take high risk when they know what they do.

Shoot a few surveyors. log out. Nearly perfectly safe.

Without snipers your are forced to engange and get in combat range and taking higher risk to get revealed and shot in combat.

This is actually a pretty good idea.

Edited by grasmann

This is actually a pretty good idea.

I'm not per se against this idea, I just don't want the sniper weapons completely gone. I play in a small to mid sized group normally and we do employ our designated marksman a lot for overwatch and stuff like that, it's important for squad based gameplay. But less Elektro hill campers would be really nice, because those guys are just annoying. But removing the weapons all together is not a good solution for that problem.

There is a drawback. You need to get in contact with someone before you decide to run or shoot him. Not only you need to get closer but you reveal yourself if they haven't seen you.

If you're a "friendly" player, you don't have to contact everybody. Sometimes it's just better to avoid players alltogether, and if you are really trying zo contact a group of heavy armed guys and ask them really nice if they won't shoot you, you are not part of the "smart survivor" group.

And you have to get closer to survivors as a bandit too, at least I doubt that I can simply shoot everybody I see with my effective range of 200m. And I still have to loot the body of my victim, if I don't check my surroundings, the already mentioned nasty buddy comes into play.

You guys wouldn't have so many problems if, instead of complaining, you learned how to survive instead. This is supposed to be a hard game and players are much harder than zombies are.

If you're still running down the middle of a road carrying a lit road flare and then complaining that you got shot, then you deserved it. When you can learn to scout an area before moving into it, stick close to cover in case a sniper does take a shot at you, and to always keep moving when out in the open then you'll almost never get killed. I haven't died to a player or zombie in the last few weeks at all (not counting hackers that kill off whole servers, of course).

I play by myself but I'm cautious as hell and don't take risks if I don't want to die. You just need to learn how to play the game and you'll find that even surviving players is relativily easy most of the time. And I'm not talking about Alt+F4 every time you hear a gunshot either. That's not playing the game, it's just being a wimp.

If someone kills me without hacks, then that's fine. They got the best of me and I should learn from my mistakes and move on. Not post on the forums complaining that life isn't fair.

As for Electro/Cherno snipers, I think we all agree that those guys are asshats so might as well just avoid those areas completely and save yourself the headache. Until duping/hacking is removed and rare snipers actually become rare, they won't go away.

Edited by Professional N00b
  • Like 2

Not post on the forums complaining that life isn't fair.

But the new crop of so called gamers have this ridiculous sense of entitlement brought about by games being a joke and handing them everything on a plate, sadly.

I thought about a way to balance the ratio between bandits and survivors without touching the gameplay too much.

One thing is clear the bandits shouldn't have a direct disadvantage, but what about giving the survivors and actual

advantage for their style of playing?

My idea is the following:

If a survivor, which actually never killed another player, dies, he/she can choose 3 items to keep after death.

For example a weapon with too magazines of ammo.

What do you think about it?

It is just another gimmick and it doesn't even make sense. Why should anyone get to keep anything after death? And to say that some people get to keep but others don't simply because of a balance issue?

Survivors need to have actual skills, including social skills, if they want to survive. If they need to resort to gimmicks then it won't change the perception that survivors are just noobs who don't know what they are doing.

• Like 1

Dankine and Professional n00b both got some beans for understanding the game.

Something to think about: Maybe so many survivors get shot by bandits because the players who actually take that path are just the better ones? As soon as you know how to approach a location without getting shot and how to spot potential enemies, you might as well use these skills to kill other players. If you don't know these things, you can't be a bandit anyway and have to become a survivor, or alternatively an Elektro sniper pussy.

This was what happened the last time I died:

Well, I don't have a problem with badits at all. But since the game/mod is in such an incomplete state

there are some possibilities to really piss people off.

When I played earlier this day a sniper surprised us ... he shot me, which broke my leg and continued

shooting, tried to kill me, but I could crawl to safety in time. I played with a friend when that happened.

So we both were in safety and quickly healed my injuries and tried to find the bastard.

It was awesome ... we sneaked through the city filled with zombies ... tried to avoid them and find the

sniper on hill at the same time. It was a really intense situation, and it was fun.

Then we were in a house in that city and searched for ammo, when another survivor came in, followed by

two zombies. He made something, it looked like he wanted to drop something or whatever, it didn't matter.

Since he didn't shoot us on sight we tried to kill the zombies that were after him. And suddenly everything

exploded.

Apparently he planted a bomb and blew it without even getting killed himself, or he planted it and ALT-F4ed

out or pressed Abort.

So we both died ... he didn't die ... and we even tried to help him.

As I said ... I don't have a problem with bandits ... but such poor tricks are just a NO-GO.

I posted this here also: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/67020-what-did-you-expect/

And I just have to say ... this is ridiculous ... and if stuff like this is happening to me because everybody

thinks he has to kill everybody ... and then even with such poor tricks ... I will simply react to this and

ALT-F4 out everytime something bad happens ... end of story

I dont want anyone to mention balancing and dayz in the same discussion ever again.

Balancing is for the weak.

I posted this here also: http://dayzmod.com/f...did-you-expect/

And I just have to say ... this is ridiculous ... and if stuff like this is happening to me because everybody

thinks he has to kill everybody ... and then even with such poor tricks ... I will simply react to this and

So you complain about people using Alt+F4 tactics to avoid dying and your response is... to do the exact same thing?

Seems legit.

I posted this here also: http://dayzmod.com/f...did-you-expect/

Sorry, but that's your own fault. You are getting shot by a sniper, so you know enemies are in the area. You and your mate, you are not alone in this, find cover and suddenly a stranger runs into the room. So you know there are hostiles around and you know he probably still wants to kill you and you assume that everybody else in the area must therefore be innocent? That's just bad assesement, nothing else. Our sniper always takes down one target and than we (most of the times three guys) go into CQC and take out the rest of the survivors. It's a pretty common tactic and very predictable at that.

And Alt+F4 is basically the reason why everyoby wants those one-shot wepons now. And those who don't like sniper rifles just shoot you unconcious so you can stare at your screen for a couple minutes next time you log onto a server.

Edited by daskleineviech

It isn't legit at all ... I'm not saying that ... but if every attempt to balance something is denied

Then I have to take action and use the same tricks to survive, am I right?

It isn't legit at all ... I'm not saying that ... but if every attempt to balance something is denied

Again, utterly missing the point of "sandbox". Nothing needs balancing.

All you are doing is acting like a hypocritical dick by alt f4ing.

Edited by Dankine

Well ok ... I guess this discussion has lost it's point completely ... so lets just end it here.

I understand that my suggestions are not welcome in this community ... so I will just try so

survive with all possible tricks.

So, I guess when survivors get a free gun for beeing bad at the game, all good players must start to use script bypasses and hack the shit out of the mod, since they have to "balance" the freebe weapons out somehow. And then the survivors, who are still bad at their job even with the "guns for beeing stupid" perk, have to use godmode in order to survive. Which means that the bandits then need admin rights on servers to balance shit out again. So basically the survivors have to become part of the DayZ dev team by then for balance puproses.