Haplo (DayZ)

Humanity is broken

Currently I see two major issues with the humanity system

First, if I spawn as a survivor, it is inevitable I will turn into a bandit, even without killing anyone, because my character will catch up to itself or whatever and I have a largely negative humanity (humanity is the only trait that carries through death).

If I spawn as a bandit, I change into a survivor, and then will change into a bandit again.

This causes two issues (that I have noticed):

-- every time this change takes place, I revert back to the coyote patrol pack, which has destroyed numerous guns for me.

-- as an example, I was stalking two guys earlier, eventually they were both prone and I had clear, close range headshots on both of them. It should have been clean, but as soon as I had lined up the second guy I switch into the bandit skin. This gave him enough time to crouch, locate and shoot me, and we both ended up dying.

The only way I can see to fix this within the constraints of the mod is to have it so this change only takes place once, when the character first spawns, but then, this defies the point of having a dynamic humanity system.

To counter this, what if:

Players are still forced either bandit or survivor at the start of each life, but there are 3 bandit skins, and 3 survivor skins to choose from. There are heaps of models already that may work inside ArmA2

I know that these models may not work "realistically (ie. heaps of military/militia guys running around), but within the confines of the mod this adds a great deal of authenticity, and will help steer PvP in a healthier direction ie. survivors vs. bandits (which is what this game essentially is right? Except that survivors aren't really given the chance to form alliances.. and to that extent, neither are bandits..)

Edit: What if the second and third choice of skins had to be "earnt"?

Edited by Haplo
  • Like 1

Humanity carries over after death. You're stuck with it. The bug is that you're spawning as a survivor instead of a bandit (although this is fair considering the unlikely chance that a hero ganks you on spawn...which is not really a hero thing to do).

As I stated, I am aware humanity carries over after death. I doesn't bother me that I'm stuck with it, I'm not changing my play style.

(although this is fair considering the unlikely chance that a hero ganks you on spawn...which is not really a hero thing to do).

I don't really understand this, are you saying it is better that I spawn as a survivor? I have been "ganked" on spawn less than 3 or 4 times in the 3 months I've been playing. I would much rather spawn as a bandit than have the switch back to bandit from survivor destroy my backpack's contents. My humanity will probably be in the 7 figure negatives soon, so there is no reason I should be spawning as a survivor at all.

What do you think of the second part of my suggestion, with multiple skins? Would love some feedback on that..

Just try and make a workaround for the reset of stats, change back into 1st person, and loss of backpack during skin morph. The system is okay (i guess, im still against identifying players through a game mechanic, but i dont really mind) as it is.

What do you think of the second part of my suggestion, with multiple skins? Would love some feedback on that..

Sounds good.

I think it would be really sweet, if they are going to implement a skin change, do it well!!

It would actually seem a more subtle indication (a lot of the skins are quite similar) after we get over the initial shock of all these different characters.. It would improve the game a lot I think..

Edited by Haplo

Am I missing something.. I don't get what you mean by "every time this change takes place, I revert back to the coyote patrol pack, which has destroyed numerous guns for me".

How does changing from a bandit to a survivor change your backpack? I've still no idea what the humanity system actually does (other than classing you as a survivor/bandit).

Well, I usually spawn in the survivor skin with a humanity rating of 0. I will change skin when my humanity catches up to itself, as mine is much closer to -500,000.

When that happens, I might have found for example, an Alice pack, a Lee Enfeild and an AK, and had on of the guns in my pack. When my skin changes, I have coyote patrol pack with any single slot items I had, but the pack is too small for the gun (glitch).

I don't know why the change reverts my pack, but it does.

How does changing from a bandit to a survivor change your backpack? I've still no idea what the humanity system actually does (other than classing you as a survivor/bandit).

It doesn't.

You've got the morph the wrong way round.

He starts as a new spawn survivor plays to a while, and when the skin change happens its resetting the backpack.

Does that backpack glitch happen to heroes when they change too?

Edited by Never

i dont get why we spawn fresh. its a new guy, its a new person, a new survivor

i dont get why we spawn fresh. its a new guy, its a new person, a new survivor

Guess some developers are too stupid to see the differance.......Anyhows humanity as it now sucks monkey balls.

No point in being jiohny be bood people asume your bandit anyways and why shouldnt they, If a game mechanic tell you it is so most player sadly dont question that info and just open fire.....

Good development guys good development....... :emptycan:

The born with bandit skin (humanity 0 or less),morphing to survivor after some times with backpack reset (your backpack reset to coyote patrol and you lose your items in it) it's a known Bug ( http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Known_Bugs )

Any way the other day i tried to (with dayz commander) rollback to dayz 1.7.2.4, join a server and after reinstall dayz 1.7.2.5.After i did that my humanity went back to normal, no more morphing backpack bug, and now when I die I respawn with the right Humanity, the one I had before die (no more 0 or less humanity). If you have -3000 humanity, because of the bug, after the "fix" you respawn with that amount but you regan humanity in a more "normal way", you change the skin but without the morphing revert backpack bug.

I don't know if it's a real solution to this bug but for me it worked, for now. I died several time, join different servers and all it's back to normal.

Humanity carries over? Well fuck me. The first day that 2.5 was out I already spawned with -19000, despite having not killed someone for a very long time, and those people being a group of bandits that attacked us... I figured 'oh I'm already a bandit might as well act like one' so I hunted people until I died. Figuring it would restart.

I guess I dug myself in deeper. Fuck.

It doesn't.

You've got the morph the wrong way round.

He starts as a new spawn survivor plays to a while, and when the skin change happens its resetting the backpack.

Does that backpack glitch happen to heroes when they change too?

Yes. I got an alice pack replacing the one I spawned with. Don't know if getting a better bag was just a coincidence, intended or part of the bug.

edit..

My humanity was also reset to 0 and has just been displaying the usual gradual increase over time. No healing since anyway.

I'm tempted to test what happens when I'd revert back to a default survivor if I started murdering. Just for interest sake but it seems a harsh way to investigate.

I also been wondering if I hit 5k again what will happen then.

Edited by RogueNZ