jmvars

One character per server?

Been thinking about this alot, mainly because it is annoying.

I was sneaking around in Elektrozavodsk, in a server with around 10 - 15 players, when I meet a guy with a Camo Clothing, Silenced M4, and probably lots of other good gear too. I only had my Makarov with 3 mags. I was assuming he was just here to ruin for new characters by killing them, so I opened fire, hoping to claim that M4. I hit him a few times, I think he passed out because I did not get a murder. Then he dissapears. Now, obviously he logged off to not lose his gear, as most people would with such gear. Obviously I get annoyed because I know he WILL go to a different server and just either die there, or wake up again, with all his gear, and just live on.

Then I continued looting houses, hoping to find drink and food. And what do I see? Some guy just proning there looking at the opposite direction. This time I actually asked him, in voice chat, if he is friendly. He didn't answer, stopped, and dissappeared. Again, he probably switched servers, or came back a few minutes later.

I think it's fine if you went through the trouble running all the way north to find good weapons, and made it there and back to the coast with all this gear, to kill people. I mean, it's not like there is much else to do after you find good gear, except to find better gear, or a vehicle, and as I mentioned, kill people. There is never anyone that gets gear from the north, goes back to the coast to HELP new players.

Anyways. I think there should only be one character per server. You are still able to log out to prevent death, but you will eventually die in that server. Atleast some kind of punishment. I'm not sure if it should be possible to have another character in a different server. Maybe one character in one server?

EDIT: I did search before I post this, and did not find a similar post.

Edited by Jmvars
  • Like 1

As far as I know, there are servers where you have to create a new character.

So it is only on this Server.. I guess.. Had it a few times that I had to create a new character, while my other one was still ok.

Thought I died and joined on an other Server, but I lived.

Edited by dauce

Indeed, I have encounted the same thing dauce.

One sever here in NZ only allows a character made on that server, as opposed to the other servers where normally my character carries over when I change server.

• Like 1

As far as I know, there are servers where you have to create a new character.

So it is only on this Server.. I guess.. Had it a few times that I had to create a new character, while my other one was still ok.

Thought I died and joined on an other Server, but I lived.

Only thing that has happened to me is I join another server, lose all my gear, spawn in "Wilderness" with nothing in sight, only animals and other players. I then looted some guy and he had a Ghille Suit and lots of rare items, so I took them, joined a different server, where I spawned on the coast with the Ghillie Suit and items still on me, together with an Alice Pack.

• Like 1

I have been server jumped several times, because I have been in areas where no one can reach me without me seeing them. quite annoying.

But I think you should still be able to change server, instead of being able to jump from server to server, it should be so you have to request the change of server and wont be able to change more then maybe 1 every hour or so...

There are many private servers that are not connected to the hive, that is why you're starting with a new character.

Edited by Woozaboo
  • Like 1

Play on sanctuary servers, they are not connected to the hive, that sounds exactly what you are after

• Like 1

Play on sanctuary servers, they are not connected to the hive, that sounds exactly what you are after

sanctuary server? is that how you call a private hive?

That would defeat the whole purpose of Day Z...

nope, only part of it. but imho, the worst part of it - server hoping and ghosting,

I think...I think I like this...except sometimes the servers start to suck ass all of a sudden due to a variety of issues.

Edited by scoopolard

I think...I think I like this...except sometimes the servers start to suck ass all of a sudden due to a variety of issues.

Why does it matter? One can simply join another server and start a new character and try to build themselves up from there, come back a few hours later and continue.

I like this idea. It would definitely fix the server hopping and ghosting problems. If it were set up so every player was limited to how many character profiles could be created on different servers then it would allow for legitimate reasons to why one would need to switch servers (eg. servers being full, shutdown or not updated, lack of other players, not wanting or being able to play during the day/night-time, etc). There are good reasons why you should be allowed to switch servers but the people that abuse this aspect of the mod really need to be curbed. I think this would help significantly.

it would be nice, i havent logged into the game in days because of the fact my friend doesnt know how to do what he says he will do and cant log in because of it. wife aggro FTL

This would be great, one character per server. Join a new server start a new character, each character is stored separately on the server end.

• Like 1

if you really feel that way then just play in private hive servers. People that log will only be able to play on that server and if they log out will have to rejoin the specific server they were on to continue playing.

Now I do understand that there is a problem with people leaving as you said and the solution would be simple. Just do as other games do and when you log off, your character will stay in-game for say, another 10 seconds. They can still die and get shot but it would eliminate problems like that m4 guy. You would have to be in a safe spot in order to log out because there is a chance that you would not be out before the 10 seconds were up. Rather than have 1 player per server just add that rule.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

You should try Lingor.

Sometimes it is hard to keep track of what character is what and where though. I think i have about 5 characters on the go - sometimes i log in and discover i have equipment when i thought i would be starting afresh.

To be honest i think i would prefer one character per map - so when the standalone is released and new maps added we could have separate characters for Chernarus, Lingor, Utes and whatever else.

• Like 1

I like the characters being server swappable, however when things such as settlements as what not get introduced, they should be server bound.

• Like 1

I have thought about this myself a lot and I tend to think it would be better if you had a new character on every Server.

Firstly this would of course stop the server hopping and ghosting issues but that's not the main reason I like the idea. Instead, what I think this would do is create a more beliveable and consistant world where you are more or less 'forced' to play on one particular Server. This in turn makes people become regulars on certain servers, which creates a consistant community where players will survive together or against each other. While you cannot just simply join an empty server gear up and head over to a full server and start the killing, hop to the next to find more unexpecting victims, you will be forced to deal with the people on that server and they have to deal with you. Eventually word might even spread around about that one bandit, making him infamous among survivors. Some might even team up to hunt him others flock to his cause and become bandits. I know this is kind of a romanticised vision of what DayZ could be like but, I think this is what DayZ should be like.

This though, in my opinion, would only work with some sort of 'official' servers that would have to be well maintained and a much larger map as well as player number. Also for the sake of not being 'stuck' on one server there could be an option to transfer your character to another server with a limited amount of transfers within a certain period of time, for example once every 24 hours.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

I was sneaking around in Elektrozavodsk, in a server with around 10 - 15 players, when I meet a guy with a Camo Clothing, Silenced M4, and probably lots of other good gear too. I only had my Makarov with 3 mags. I was assuming he was just here to ruin for new characters by killing them, so I opened fire, hoping to claim that M4. I hit him a few times, I think he passed out because I did not get a murder. Then he dissapears. Now, obviously he logged off to not lose his gear, as most people would with such gear. Obviously I get annoyed because I know he WILL go to a different server and just either die there, or wake up again, with all his gear, and just live on.

Then I continued looting houses, hoping to find drink and food. And what do I see? Some guy just proning there looking at the opposite direction. This time I actually asked him, in voice chat, if he is friendly. He didn't answer, stopped, and dissappeared. Again, he probably switched servers, or came back a few minutes later.

I think it's fine if you went through the trouble running all the way north to find good weapons, and made it there and back to the coast with all this gear, to kill people. I mean, it's not like there is much else to do after you find good gear, except to find better gear, or a vehicle, and as I mentioned, kill people. There is never anyone that gets gear from the north, goes back to the coast to HELP new players.

Sorry, but do you see how contradictary your story is? You complain that players don't gear up and then return to the coast to help people - but also clearly say that you opened up on this guy with no warning hoping to score his shit on a seconds assumption (though probably true....). I do understand where you are coming from, but, well your story isn't as self righteous as you portray :) .

Also, I think the OP is an alright suggestion.

I have to server hop occasionally because of lag. Do you have an idea on how to help people like me?

I have to server hop occasionally because of lag. Do you have an idea on how to help people like me?

Mybe this:

This though, in my opinion, would only work with some sort of 'official' servers that would have to be well maintained and a much larger map as well as player number. Also for the sake of not being 'stuck' on one server there could be an option to transfer your character to another server with a limited amount of transfers within a certain period of time, for example once every 24 hours.

With 'offical' Server I mean it would have to be hosted and administrated by Bohemia making them a lot more stable and free from admin abuse.