BusterFrisco

My Rant: Why I am Done with the Game.

I've played this game for a week now. I will admit--it was very thrilling and addicting in the beginning. But, then, the novelty of it just wore off. I can list some of the reasons why I think this game needs work:

1) There are about 85% of people playing this game like a TDM or Free-For-All type gameplay, which I think, doesn't suit this zombie survival genre. There is a definite lack of cooperation and teamwork. 70% I get killed by other players and 30% I get killed by zeds. Given the lack of squad play and continious random solo spawn points, playing with friends/teammates is nearly impossible. If I wanted TDM, I would play BF3, which is way more rewarding.

2) Communication in-game. How many times has someone rudely announced in voice chat, "Can you hear me?" I can't start to say how annoying this is! If you use the text chat, you are pretty much screwed as well because dick bandits use that to stalk and kill their prey.

3) Lack of Continuity: If I spend 6 hours playing and collecting loot and suddenly get sniped by a dick bandit, I expect some reward system where you can keep you're loot when you respawn based on the time that you have not died in-game. Losing everything so unexpectedly and suddenly is a complete waste of my time given that you have to start from scratch when you die. After so many times dying, the whole concept of the game gets old and repetitive real fast.

4) Need more objective play: Besides scavaging, surviving, and killing, I think there needs to be a reward system based on reaching objectives as well. For example, getting/keeping loot after surviving a certain amount of time. Going to a particular place on a map to check-in to get rewarded. After you've explored the Northernest most point on the map (i.e. Devil's Castle and Northwest Airfield), all the other places become mundane.

5) Camper dick bandits: There is this group who get a thrill solely from murdering Survivors. Instead of rewarding this group, in particular, with continuity, there should be a negative reward for such uncalled for gameplay (i.e. not in a situation needing food or drink and killing just for the fun of it). I can see why the Devs have taken away the Humanity and Bandit skin catering to the 85% of people playing the game in this manner, which makes it even more frustrating.

I will give kudos to the Devs for continuing to put out fresh patches with updates and the overall idea of the game. I just think, in its current state, I wouldn't play it continuously because it gets old and repetitive real fast. Some of you may agree and disagree with some of my points, but I will throw it out there for discussion.

Your gonna get seriously flamed for that post mate! I dont think you actually "get" the game lol.

me and my friends have accomplished everything there is to do in this game and are at the same point so now we kill people for fun and you can lump us in with the 85% that jsut play TDM or DM but to be honest 60 % of that 85% are like me we played the game and now there is nothing else to do with everything you want in the game so why not kill other players its the only thing that brings excitment into chernarus with the current bugs prolonged survival is somthing that is nearly impossible either your tent will vanish or all the items in it or your vehicle will vanish etc.

i know its alpha and thats why i dont make big threads like these and jsut enjoy killing people for what its worth

Heh. I ONLY play this game in a group of 2-6. You just need more reliable friends. That, teamspeak, and staying the hell out of cities eliminate all of your issues. If that's all it takes to drive you away from a pre-Beta game that's free, you should probably thank whatever skywizard you want that your life is so problem-free that this became such a major issue for you.

A level system (that remains) doesn't hurt, but I'm not sure what it could bring. Maybe some unique starting items for some level threshold. Or just some tent, backpack or similar. (But then of course there's a risk of increased spawn killing).

4) Need more objective play: Besides scavaging' date=' surviving, and killing, I think there needs to be a reward system based on reaching objectives as well. For example, getting/keeping loot after surviving a certain amount of time. Going to a particular place on a map to check-in to get rewarded. After you've explored the Northernest most point on the map (i.e. Devil's Castle and Northwest Airfield), all the other places become mundane.

[/quote']

This paragraph does make it sound like this is just the wrong kind of game for you. This is a game for those of us who don't want a carefully choreographed and guided experience.

I agree about camping dickheads, though. I don't mind the banditry, and losing gear I spent hours collecting, but I get a bit peeved when I lose it to an ass that's been camping in one spot for an hour while watching youtube. An aside, to the youtube ass-campers out there: If the way you play this game can't hold 100% of your attention, just stop playing it and let the rest of us have some fun.

Your gonna get seriously flamed for that post mate! I dont think you actually "get" the game lol.

Yes, Yes he is :) And no I think he failed at this game entirely... its ok, not everything is for everyone.....

No offence mate but if you were getting killed that much its safe to say you failed at "Surviving"? Its suppost to be difficult, dieing and learning from your death is part of it.

Acording to your post you want:

1: More rewarding experience like BF3? (LOL)

2: Reward for dieing? You died, you get no reward i.e. your incentive to not die.....

3: More rewards.....

4: Bandits punished....

So you want to get patted on the back for dieing and people who are surviving the game punished for killing you?

-snip-

OH THE TEARS' date=' please cry more!

Point 1: GET OUT OF THE BIG CITIES, People fighting over supplies is a completly normal thing, also alpha.

Point 2: Download the beta patch, only play on servers that use the patch, enjoy having direct chat work, also alpha.

Point 3: YOU DIED. How do you expect to keep your stuff, sprint back to your dead body and hope your stuff is still there. This is a PERMA death game, Go cry some more. Not related to alpha.

Point 4: Try fixind and defending a heli, or lock down an airfield. Aparently you have no imagination to come up with teamwork play in a sandbox. Also alpha.

Point 5: If you acutally read the forumsit's been stated that the humanity system will be coming back in another form when something more solid than the last system. More tears please. Also ALPHA

Alpha Alpha Alpha

1. Get off the Newbie Coast.

2. Agreed.

3. You are playing the wrong game then.

4. You need more fantasy or friends, my friend.

5. Probably the solution to 4. just go and kill those Camper dick bandit. Become a silent guardian, a watchful protector of the beanboys

and a camper is mostly "camping" around a hotspot, so why dont just avoid the dangerous places?

why do clueless people at this game always seem to find the "new thread" button more appealing then everything else?

Dammit, I got here too late to make a "brace yourselves" joke about all the angry replies to this thread.

@OP,

Game is for obvious reason not your cup tea, ill advise next time investigate what game it is, instead of buy and then find out you don't like to be dropped in sandbox with free for all permadeath and now try craebear it or whine on forums how hardcore this game is go back to your BF/COD games this game ain't for you.

Bye can i have your stuff:P

This community is really sad and extremely closed minded, this guy is addressing legitimate concerns with the game which for the most part are completely valid and true and it's like he is a heretic or something and must be smited for having doubts in relation to aspects of the game. It's getting old whenever someone has a problem with the game and people start saying "it's not for you" or "you don't get it" like they are all stupid or something. People want to make the game better or last longer and suggesting anything other than leaving the game as it is is blasphemy.

Well I think they get it perfectly fine and understand exactly what the game is about but they are identifying with problems and issues which in the long run will kill off the player base. In a year if this project is even still going the ranks of players will probably be nearly 100% replaced by other people simply because of things he is bringing up.

We get it, hell we probably get it more than you but the fact of the matter is the game does get stagnant after a certain point, ask the 40 people I started playing with which has been reduced now to about 8-10. I'm absolutely bored out of my mind at 110 hours but I keep playing to see what new changes are taking place.

Stop being such dickheads to those who want a better and more lasting experience.

This sums up the game perfectly mate, either realise what it means or gtfo.

So the DayZ world has gone to shit? Good. We're on track then. Because its a fucking Zombie Apocalypse.

I'm absolutely bored out of my mind at 110 hours but I keep playing to see what new changes are taking place.

Oh wow, you played a mod in alpha stage for just 110 hours (4,5 days) and you get bored? Oh really? Tell me more

-snip-

I disagree, this is the anti-game a lot of people are looking for, and alot of people realise that right now that there is still a fair bit of content to be added.

Honestly, I feel that using arma2 dayz was more of a test to see if the game would be welcomed, which it has, I wouldn't be surprised if rocket was thinking about how to improve things over on arma3 instead.

Another issue people have with the OP, is that he obviosuly didn't research this at all. The fact the there are some form of quests coming in with rewards, adding more content. The evident of just hanging around the major cities ect. I feel that alot of people are fustrated with these posts because the people playing arn't trying everything. It's like trying one music lesson, going 'oh man im terrible so all music is terrible' then going around the streets telling everyone that playing music should be easier.

This game will never get a super huge player base due to how unforgiving it can be, and that's ok, because it's a niche market game. An experiment if you will.

To the people saying these are legitimate concerns or whatever.

The guy is basically posting a rant, about gameplay reasons about why he is "quitting" the game.

This has been said a THOUSAND times but it has to be said again, its an ALPHA test.

An ALPHA test is where you test the basic functionality of the game, you see a lot of bugs in there at the moment right? Tents work, tents don’t work, desyncs, ladder glitches, death by doors, etc.

Posting a rant about why you are quitting a game, during the ALPHA testing stage of the game, is rediculous. It's not meant to be enjoyed at this point, if you enjoy it, then great and keep at it, but really it's a testing stage.

Posting about how you are bored after XX amount of time because theres nothing to do is rediculous, its an ALPHA test, the gameplay/replayability stuff has not been added yet. Rocket has said this.

If you are bored of the game and theres nothing to do and want to quit, go ahead. Making a post complaining about lack of teamwork/game content during an alpha? It's crazy.

Stop wasting space on this board.

Again,

ALPHA test.

1) There are about 85% of people playing this game like a TDM or Free-For-All type gameplay' date=' which I think, doesn't suit this zombie survival genre. There is a definite lack of cooperation and teamwork. 70% I get killed by other players and 30% I get killed by zeds. Given the lack of squad play and continious random solo spawn points, playing with friends/teammates is nearly impossible. If I wanted TDM, I would play BF3, which is way more rewarding.

[/quote']

In my experience, about 80-85% of the players are good guys. Survivors that want to either be left alone, or work with other survivors. Granted, many of them have learned the lessons of Chernarus, and will shoot on sight if they feel threatened.

I'm playing with two groups of friends right now. One group is Pandemic Legion. We are bandits and we will stir up shit and watch the fallout with a bucket of popcorn. The other group is a bunch of RL friends that play as survivors, being generally friendly and carebearish.

I have absolutely no problems playing with either group. Both groups are able to work together, establish and meet our goals and generally have fun. We do get killed occasionally, and neither group have any problems recovering people who get killed.

The thing is, both when I play with PL and when I play with my RL friends, we're organized. We have out of game voicecomms, organization skills and teamwork. We know how to navigate by maps, scavenge food and supplies and to stay alive. It's relatively rare that people in any of my two groups die.

2) Communication in-game. How many times has someone rudely announced in voice chat' date=' "Can you hear me?" I can't start to say how annoying this is! If you use the text chat, you are pretty much screwed as well because dick bandits use that to stalk and kill their prey.

[/quote']

Turn off VON, and work with a group that uses out-of-game voicecomms.

3) Lack of Continuity: If I spend 6 hours playing and collecting loot and suddenly get sniped by a dick bandit' date=' I expect some reward system where you can keep you're loot when you respawn based on the time that you have not died in-game. Losing everything so unexpectedly and suddenly is a complete waste of my time given that you have to start from scratch when you die. After so many times dying, the whole concept of the game gets old and repetitive real fast.

[/quote']

I don't think you "get" permadeath. :)

Also, you lost everything? Don't carry everything on your person. Find a tent and put it in a secret location that only you know about, then store extra stuff in there that will be used if you die.

Congratulations, now you've created exactly that system that you yourself asked for. The longer you survive in-game, the more loot you can store at your secret camp.

Be aware, however, that someone might find your tent and steal your stuff. That's fine, you can do that to someone else in return. That's part of the sandbox nature of this game.

4) Need more objective play: Besides scavaging' date=' surviving, and killing, I think there needs to be a reward system based on reaching objectives as well. For example, getting/keeping loot after surviving a certain amount of time. Going to a particular place on a map to check-in to get rewarded. After you've explored the Northernest most point on the map (i.e. Devil's

Castle and Northwest Airfield), all the other places become mundane.

[/quote']

So, create some objectives. How about building your own little tent city? How about collecting every type of gun in the game? What about finding a helicopter, repair it and fly it to the highest building in Cherno?

Wait, you need the game to give you achievements for that? So that you'll have a number to display to yourself with a score that only matters to you? What's the difference if you made up those achievements yourself on a notebook next to your computer? You're still the only one who's going to see your achievements and care about them.

5) Camper dick bandits: There is this group who get a thrill solely from murdering Survivors. Instead of rewarding this group' date=' in particular, with continuity, there should be a negative reward for such uncalled for gameplay (i.e. not in a situation needing food or drink and killing just for the fun of it). I can see why the Devs have taken away the Humanity and Bandit skin catering to the 85% of people playing the game in this manner, which makes it even more frustrating.

[/quote']

Oooh! Oooh! I know! How about instead of punishing the bandits, we actually create some rewards for people who kill them? How about a score on how many bandits you've killed, one that could show up in a monitor, like... a debug thing.

Most camping bandits are very easy to kill. Once they've fired once, they've given away their position to a competent observer. Most camping bandits don't like to move from their camping locations.

So, there's a bandit on the grain silo in Cherno shooting everyone in sight? Wait, there's THREE of them? Impossible to counter, because they'll shoot you right away. Right? No.

Okay, you take your group of survivors, with out of game voicecomms, organization and teamwork, then you start moving them into Cherno. One team stays on Vysota hill to maintain overwatch while the rest of the teams move in. Another team moves to the hill northeast of Cherno. The third team infiltrates Cherno from the west.

The Vysota team should be able to keep the grain silo in sight, depending on the fog. If visibility is poor, they move closer. If they can remain on Vysota, they have higher elevation than the grain silo, so they can now hit anyone prone on the grain silo roof.

The NE hill team is closer, but their fire comes from below. Still, they will be able to take out anyone hiding on the seaward side of the grain silo. Even better, if they can send a shooter or two carefully out towards the docks area, they and the vysota team will be able to cover three separate directions from the grain silo.

Meanwhile the infiltration team makes their way east into Cherno, carefully moving from cover to cover. If necessary, one of them can throw flares or otherwise create a distraction for the sniper to move to the docks, or for the rest of the infiltration team to move undetected.

If this is done right, the snipers will either take out the bandits as the bandits try to take shots, or the infiltration team will be able to send people up the ladders of the grain silo to kill the bandits.

And guess what. This is gameplay that you yourself can create, within the sandbox model. This kind of gameplay does not require carefully orchestrated events, or any kind of mission scripting. This kind of gameplay is an emergent form of gameplay that comes naturally from this kind of sandbox. And the best part is, YOU are the one creating it.

Oooh, ooh, and yes! If this is done right, that little score that says "Bandits killed", yes, that one. It will go up and now say "Bandits killed: 1", and you've just gotten your little achievement that you wanted.

Rewardingly,

Sandbox-Marshal Palli 'Teamwork' Treponema

Good, leave. This game is not for idiots like you. The community will be a better place without you.

Honestly, it probibly doesn't help that all these AAA games release "betas" which are esentialy demos with bugs in them. People are so used to that now, they probibly just presume alpha is another type of these AAA betas, probibly think it's an indie game or somesuch.