brandt

Changes to female characters

I believe that DayZ is striving to be a relatively realistic mod. Since DayZ build 1.6.0 female characters have been added to the game.

With reality in focus I would like to suggest that female characters have less inventory space than male characters to simulate their inferior average strength.

Another suggestion is that the effects of recoil could also be bigger on female characters because of the lower body mass(look at the female model ingame).

Again, this mod is aiming at being relatively realistic. In case of an apocalypse things like gender equality and political correctness go straight out the window. The strong survive and the weak meet their demise or team up with the strong.

Make female characters stand out more in static environments, like in base camps. Give them skills that can be used in a base camp environment. Male characters should also be able to do the same things but not as efficiently as the female characters.

Basically add some consequences/bonuses when choosing to play as a female character!

While it seems sexist, it is logical...

Although, you need to keep in mind that anyone that has survived this far is probably pretty strong.

Ive got a bad feeling about this thread.

Spiderman will surely make an appearance

Ive got a bad feeling about this thread.

lol me to, i dont really think it needs to go quite that far..

I am not a troll and why must this be such a touchy topic? Why do some of you straight away start to accuse me of being a troll instead of giving these suggestions a thought and actually have a discussion?

The fact is that men and women are different, we are good at different things. Basically make it show in the game.

And the game has taken a turn now when there is a need of campfires, base camps are starting to have a much bigger importance.

Well I went to a pump-class once at my gym, and those girls showed me the fuck up.

Skins will be purely cosmetic

Well I understand the concept of making the physics such as recoil have a realistic effect, I do not see how females will physically light a fire faster or whatever.

If we choose to weaken the female model we do not have to "balance" that out by giving them artificial advantages. I for one know many more males that can acquire, build and maintain shelter faster than females. (On the flipside I know many females that can outshoot males)

Maybe I'm not completely understanding the base camp stuff but I say just leave things alone overall.

Ignoring any potential sexism, your idea is bad because you will be forcing a certain playstyle on players.

You suggested giving female characters bonuses to staying in a single camp, and limit their ability in the field. This is the same sort of suggestion as imposing restrictions on bandits. Just because a player prefers a female character model, does not mean that they want to stand still for hours on end just to light fires, cook meat and do laundry.

I get the logic behind it, but no. It's not a guarantee that any man will be stronger than a woman or vice versa. I know several girls that could beat me up, actually.

But it's not that it'd be kind of sexist. It's that the game doesn't need to be THAT realistic, and it's unfair to female players. I'd imagine we wouldn't have any if that happened. I'd keep the genders equal.

Females can be just a proficient with weapon firing and being a soldier as males can, what you're saying applies for a base male/female comparison with no training. yes females can be generally weaker than males without any training, but to say something like all girls can never be as strong as men is freaking retarded and just wrong.

What kind of stupid suggestion is this?

SEXISM.

Just because a player prefers a female character model' date=' does not mean that they want to stand still for hours on end just to light fires, cook meat and do laundry.

[/quote']

Cooking Mama: Dayz Edition.

Females can be just a proficient with weapon firing and being a soldier as males can' date=' what you're saying applies for a base male/female comparison with no training. yes females can be generally weaker than males without any training, but to say something like all girls can never be as strong as men is freaking retarded and just wrong.

[/quote']

Well I did not state anywhere in my text that women can never be as strong as men.

In general women are weaker and men are stronger, in DayZ the characters look like average people, they don't look as special forces, body builders or military personnel with training, they look like average survivors.

So here we go again, the average male is stronger than the average women, this is not sexist this i reality. Therefore it would be nice if DayZ could simulate this.

Ignoring any potential sexism' date=' your idea is bad because you will be forcing a certain playstyle on players.

You suggested giving female characters bonuses to staying in a single camp, and limit their ability in the field. This is the same sort of suggestion as imposing restrictions on bandits. Just because a player prefers a female character model, does not mean that they want to stand still for hours on end just to light fires, cook meat and do laundry.

[/quote']

Here I can agree with you, maybe giving them bonuses is not the way to go. But by making the carrying capacity smaller and the recoil slightly bigger for female characters there would be some sense in trying to play differently as a female character.

The point is that it isn't fair to player who play as females.

Well life is not equal and fair.

Yep these people clearly are average citizens with no training, I could just walk down the street pick up a dmr and shoot someone at 600m no sweat. The characters are far from average people. They can run the length of Chernarus without stopping which is like 15Km and fire a wide variety of weapons accurately and proficiently as well as showing the ability to survive off the land. If this is what you consider average...

To OP, these changes are possible but it's more work than it's worth. Trust me. I don't see this ever happening.

I get life isn't fair, but the game doesn't need to be THAT realistic. If the game got to that amount of realism, it'd have to be realistic in other places too, and it wouldn't be fun anymore.

But by making the carrying capacity smaller and the recoil slightly bigger for female characters there would be some sense in trying to play differently as a female character.

But thats the problem with your idea. You're placing rules around having a female character, limiting or disadvantaging people who choose to play as a female character. This is the same as any other bandit 'solution'. Imposing restrictions does not lead to fun, emergent gameplay.

Comparing it to real life is irrelevant.

Leave it as an aesthetic difference.

I trained as both an NZ Army and RNZAF (Air Force) Officer. As part of that training, I did my NZ Army Officer training, RNZAF Officer Training, and I also did the Singaporean Armed Forces Infantry Officer training on exchange.

During that time, I saw the female cadets treated exactly the same as the male cadets and carrying just as much. The NZ Army (and the Israeli Military I might add) makes no distinction between Male and Female.

Whatever my thoughts were before training, after training there was no doubt in me that a tough woman is just as tough as a tough man. Overcoming adversity is just as much about your mental resilience as physical.

Anyway, as I've said before, I'm striving for authenticity (the suspension of disbelief) rather than realism. I admit we're not at that point yet, but I think we're well on the way.

• Like 5