Strategos (DayZ)

Should the Mod be abandoned

Fate of the Mod  

300 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done ?

• I only want the mod I wont even play standalone.
    • Develop both together.
    • Ditch the mod and focus on the standalone.
    • I wont be playing either.

Yes the mod should be abandoned, it is beyond the point where the major issues can be solved.

Duping, hacking. None of this is going to be solved and those two things alone, utterly destroy the true potential of the game. It is a waste of effort to continue developing the mod. Even the artifacts dont seem to be resolved after several patches, let alone the true issues of the game.

Just develop the standalone really.

i'm quite happy with the current playability of DayZ. i think rocket is using the mod now to gauge public oppinion, and develop the mod based on feedback.

i do think it would be great to see the team focus on the standalone game, but the mod still has it's uses

"voted but i do have to say what a bullshit thread.. cry cry whine whine etc etc"

May I retort by saying what a bullshit post.

Theres no crying or whining, just an opinion and a vote to see what people think.

Grow up.

they already said the mod and standalone are going to be updated together and that is how it should be. if you don't want to play anymore don't. to say stop developing the mod because you can't deal with the things that come along with an alpha a dumb argument. this is never advertised as a complete game you get what you paid for since you paid nothing for DayZ. having DayZ in any shape is just a bonus. to those who just bought Arma 2 just to play the mod you did not buy DayZ you bought Arma 2 your argument is invalid.

"they already said the mod and standalone are going to be updated together and that is how it should be. if you don't want to play anymore don't. to say stop developing the mod because you can't deal with the things that come along with an alpha a dumb argument."

Did you read my post ? I didn't say any of the things you just assumed.

And I made several valid points that are nothing to do with my ability to "deal with" things.

Im also aware they have stated the two are going to be developed in tandem.

I'll re-iterate just to be clear. Rocket (u know the guy that made the mod) has stated that some problems in the mod cannot be fixed. So with this in mind wouldn't you rather the dev team focused ALL their time and efforts on the standalone where they have access to the source and can produce an alpha build free of the problems that hamper the mod?

I'm a huge fan of the mod , this seems to me to just be common sense.

" i think rocket is using the mod now to gauge public oppinion, and develop the mod based on feedback."

Of course, but lets face it we are all looking forward to the standalone, and are nearly all going to play it. So an open alpha in the standalone will serve the same purpose.

Edited by Strategos

They should just concentrate on the standalone game. They can't fix item duping, or the rampant cheating going on - and new patches seem to break just as much as they fix.

While I feel like the OP is biased towards one answer, it's still a legitimate question.

This mod still can provide useful testing results, in that it can experiment with new game mechanics. If Rocket implements something here that just doesn't seem to fit in, then the dedicated standalone team doesn't have to waste time and resources implementing an already failed idea in the standalone.

The mod will still be the most useful testing tool for ideas, even after the eventual release of a standalone. Think of it as the difference between the League of Legends client and the public test client. You simply test the zombie horses with laser cannons idea on the mod, before you throw something ridiculous like that into the version people payed for.

Short and sweet, I think that Rocket should pass dayZ mod off to a smaller group so he can take the main and best people for the job and have them focus on the standalone. Updates in the mod would be limited but that's okay. This way we can still play the mod and get some help and then also have the standalone be super awesome.

It won't end even if the devs decide to stop the support. Wait, it could end if the devs decide to kill the hive?! Well the stand alone is not far away. So don't worry your heart will get pumped heavily.

Most likely, those who bought ArmA2 and not willing to buy another game will find some other zombie mod that's out there.

I dont think the money thing is an issue here, you signed up to Dayz to be an alpha tester , and have a full game (ArmaII) for your money.

If they release the standlaone at a reasonable price point you've probably still paid less than a full retail game and been a fundamental part of the development.

Why waste time on a mod that cant be fixed ?

Why would you feel dumped they have got standalone! That has always been the goal of the mod. We have done our job!

I think people deserve the mod to be supported for a few months or even a year more, you have to understand 800,000 people over the last few months didnt just buy arma2 to play arma they brought it to play Dayz (me included i will add) considering the ammount of money that has been made from a half finished mod it would be wrong to just dump it as soon as a standalone comes out.

Edited by Luke688

Release content updates until the standalone comes out. Bug fixes should continue if necessary but actual content shouldn't come out after standalone is released.

The best sounding thing is to let both go with continued updates, but in all honesty I want the money I'm going to pay to go to content for the game I purchased, not a mod that others are getting for free.

Edited by Thasik

I dont think the mod should be abandoned in my opinon just work on it and develop it better, and if it is I personally would be pissed. I bought Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead purely for dayz if they get rid of the mod and release a standalone game, take my arma 2 and arrowhead back and gimme the standalone. Not like ill ever play arma 2 / OA normally. Not being selfish or anything but Im not exactly the richest person so id rather not have 30 dollars wasted. Considering I started a week ago.

Thanks, Mini

"While I feel like the OP is biased towards one answer, it's still a legitimate question."

Obviously I have my opinion :) I put the poll on so we can see everyones opinion not just mine, discussion on this forum doesn't usually go very well after all does it

Im not sure the I"I bought Arma just for this argument" stands up. Mods come and go , there's thousands of them out there, people seem to think just because this mod is popular they are somehow owed something. You chose to buy a game to play a mod that was in alpha. Surely the risks of doing that must be apparant ? There was never even any guarantee it would become a full game, but now we've all got what we wanted.

Judging by the poll only a few people are not going to bother buying the full game. If you are going to do that why would you continue playing the mod? Are you going to play both at the same time ? I can't see the logic.

Like others have said, they should keep developing the mod until the point they no longer need it to flesh out ideas, and then they can dump it for the standalone.

As it is, so much has been devoted to the mod, the least they can do is use it as a testing ground for fringe ideas, and see if they work, before wasting time on bad ideas for the standalone. Also, less clean up work if the idea goes to crap and messes something up. A mod you're about to abandon is great for testing for this purpose.

So I can't really go with any choices in the poll, as the closest would be develop both together, but I don't care if the mod is completed, only interested in the standalone, but I don't want to see them give up on the mod when it can still be useful!

"While I feel like the OP is biased towards one answer, it's still a legitimate question."

Obviously I have my opinion :) I put the poll on so we can see everyones opinion not just mine, discussion on this forum doesn't usually go very well after all does it

Im not sure the I"I bought Arma just for this argument" stands up. Mods come and go , there's thousands of them out there, people seem to think just because this mod is popular they are somehow owed something. You chose to buy a game to play a mod that was in alpha. Surely the risks of doing that must be apparant ? There was never even any guarantee it would become a full game, but now we've all got what we wanted.

Judging by the poll only a few people are not going to bother buying the full game. If you are going to do that why would you continue playing the mod? Are you going to play both at the same time ? I can't see the logic.

Lots of people still play old mods of games even after sequels come out (look at the project reality mod for BF2 for example), theres no doubt the standalone will be different from the original mod and some people might prefer the old gameplay its not hard to see the logic in that.

An Alpha is a stage of development towards a finished product. We the players have provided enough of a buzz that DayZ is actually being produced as a standalone game. Essentially we have done our job.

Not only that the hacking and duping is by Rockets own admission unsolvable in the mod.

I'm not seeing the logic in keeping man power on it that could be used to get the standalone out sooner for us all to enjoy.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion :) Myself although I play waaaay too much of the mod when i get the chance I'll be playing standalone and the sooner the better.

While this has been said, I feel the main focus should be on the standalone, but I'd continue to keep the mod going with new things to see how the player base responds. Like bringing back the bandit skins and the hero skin thing...these types of things should continue to be tested on the mod so there will be somewhat of an idea of what the community likes going into the actual game.

Pretty much in nutshell of what Zeromentor said...try out the stuff like that on the mod.

I think once the Standalone surpasses the mod in terms of quality and playability, the mod should be abandoned or left a skeleton crew to update.

The mod is where it all began and still serves as a useful test bed. Abandoning it immediately would seem to be premature IMO.

Work it for all it's worth and when the standalone is up to par the mod can be tapered down. Also the mod serves as a live taste of things to come for new people (albeit a broken taste currently) so it helps promote the standalone as well.

its pretty poiintless, maybe i have just bad luck but i get killed every day by hackers in dayz... they sould focus on standlone and anti-cheat mechanics.

every time i try the dayz mod i fall back to arma2 domination server, its more fun atm. i'll just wait for the standalone game.

Even though Rocket has said duping cannot be fixed,why not just remove tents for now ?

I realise this is not the only way to dupe but it would sure help,

I would like to see the mod continue.

Sheesh I remember the early dayz when there were patches every day just about.

Mod is dead due to hacking. Focusing on the standalone seems only logical from there.

I dont think the mod should be abandoned in my opinon just work on it and develop it better, and if it is I personally would be pissed. I bought Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead purely for dayz if they get rid of the mod and release a standalone game, take my arma 2 and arrowhead back and gimme the standalone. Not like ill ever play arma 2 / OA normally. Not being selfish or anything but Im not exactly the richest person so id rather not have 30 dollars wasted. Considering I started a week ago.

Thanks, Mini

So... you paid $30 for a full game and an expansion pack (which are pretty good, to be honest) to play a mod that's in alpha and you're saying you would have wasted your money? Seriously... Rocket and co. could shut down the hive any time they wanted to.