Sign in to follow this  
Obsolescence

Can DayZ tell us something about the gun control debate?

With the recent tragedies in the U.S. concerning mass killings with military grade weapons, I began thinking about how the prevalence of guns in DayZ can inform us about the consequences for the prevalence of guns in the U.S.

Consider the following interactions:

1) As the number of players who have guns in DayZ increases, so too do the number of murders increase.

2) If players know (or believe) that they are both unarmed, they will be much more likely to communicate and trust each other.

3) As the lethatlity of weapons people have increases, they are more capable of killing large numbers of players on their own.

Therefore, I posit that parallel to DayZ's mechanics concerning weapon availability:

1) As the number of citizens who have guns in the U.S. increases, so too do the number of murders increase.

2) If citizens know (or believe) that they are both unarmed, they will be much more likely to communicate and trust each other.

3) As the lethality of weapons citizens have increases, they are more capable of killing large numbers of citizens on their own.

I just thought it was interesting, and a testament to DayZ's accuracy for modeling human behavior and interactions, that parallels can be drawn between gun prevalence and violence/trust in modern countries and Chenarus.

Flame away!

• Like 1

If one crazy person had a gun and no one else did because it was illegal then it would be like one person on a dayz server fully equipped hunting unarmed players

• Like 3

You're forgetting that an unarmed player in Dayz can not use melee attacks.. They are forced to be non violent because they literally have no other option..

Also, it's just a game and the consequences for killing are non existent.. I don't think we could find too much helpful to add to the gun control debate.. Not without some monumental stretch of logic anyway.

• Like 1

There are ways to obtain guns whether they are legal or not, just like drugs. Heck, guns aren't even hard to make. Just think how many lives could have been saved at Aurora, CO if one of the movie goers had a gun.

I'm just going to let everyone know there's a host of fellows who love to debate gun ownership and control in the "Current Events" board.

This thread needs to stay about Day Z, and the link to it is already really thin.

I know this is not strictly related to the OP but i have to say it.

I get extremely mad at those who want "gun control" in the US. Do those people really think that removing weapons from those who use guns properly either for leisure or self defense will stop those who use them illegally? I'm from a country in Europe and in my country having a gun legally is almost impossible but the criminals still use them regardless! The only difference from most European countries regarding gun laws is that while in the US we see various cases of store owners or elderly women defending themselves with guns and kicking their assailants ass, here in Europe the assailant always wins. Rape, homicide, armed robbery, etc is illegal in the USA. Does that stop that from happening? NO!

More weapons in the hands of bad people = More murders

More weapons in the hands of good people = Deterrent factor + More criminals dead

Edited by Timberwolf

With the recent tragedies in the U.S. concerning mass killings with military grade weapons, I began thinking about how the prevalence of guns in DayZ can inform us about the consequences for the prevalence of guns in the U.S.

Consider the following interactions:

1) As the number of players who have guns in DayZ increases, so too do the number of murders increase.

2) If players know (or believe) that they are both unarmed, they will be much more likely to communicate and trust each other.

3) As the lethatlity of weapons people have increases, they are more capable of killing large numbers of players on their own.

Therefore, I posit that parallel to DayZ's mechanics concerning weapon availability:

1) As the number of citizens who have guns in the U.S. increases, so too do the number of murders increase.

2) If citizens know (or believe) that they are both unarmed, they will be much more likely to communicate and trust each other.

3) As the lethality of weapons citizens have increases, they are more capable of killing large numbers of citizens on their own.

I just thought it was interesting, and a testament to DayZ's accuracy for modeling human behavior and interactions, that parallels can be drawn between gun prevalence and violence/trust in modern countries and Chenarus.

Flame away!

Source?

You're making wild assumptions here. Millions of people own guns in the US and mass shootings are rare. Only a tiny percent of guns are ever used in violent crimes. The Assault Weapon ban did nothing to stop violent crime committed by criminals and regulations will do nothing to stop that. In countries that have banned long rifles, crime went up, including home invasions.

This game is not an accurate model of human behavior and there are no parallels that can be drawn from the behavior displayed in game.

• Like 2