Siggy (DayZ)

(Rocket) Why are we logging in on the coast

Server hopping? You mean trying to join a server and having them all fail or freeze in the load screen? Me and my friend were trying to play again and when we finally got into a server and loaded in we're on the fucking coast. If it doesn't even make sure you actually make it in before tallying you as a server hopper then that's just fucking retarded.

It's not like I can do anything about this. I got teleported to the coast as well, I'm just saying that this patch was meant for server hoppers is all.

This happens to me also. I have a understanding of what alpha really means, so I shrug and lug my happy ass inland. It'll get fixed.

Im finding this thread pretty amusing at how oblivious most people, so i'll be nice and fill you all in with what I know.

This server hopping, will happen regardless of what version of DayZ you are running. It's to do with the servers having updated recently to their latest code to track players logins and actions.

So how does it work exactly? Whenever you DC/ Alt+F4 during combat, you will be put back to the coast! Excessive logging in and out, put back to the coast! It's monitoring your actions, and then deciding whether or not you are legitimately logging on and off, and punishing you by putting you at the coast if the database thinks you are playing unfairly. All the posts say very much the same thing, and me and another friend have found this ingame too. It's only happened to me once, and thats because I tried logging onto the same server, about 2-3 times without it working. So I tried a different one, and it put me at the coast. A friend of mine had logged during combat the night before when me and a mate got killed, and the next time he came in, he was on the coast.

So your wondering how to avoid it yes? 1: Don't log during combat, sure fire way to get you back to the coast. You get caught in a gun fight, hang around the area for about 5-10 minutes then move away a good 500 metres or so and put yourself in a bush and log. I myself got caught in combat last night, and a friend died, me and my other mate hung around the area and managed to kill 1 of the 2 people who shot our mate, the other DC'd. We stayed in the area for about 5 minutes just to make sure, before running over the other side of the field to log out for dinner. Came back in, and was in exactly the same place, both of us.

2: You log into a server and it's laggy. Wait for 10 minutes. The reason it's doing this with legit server hopping, is because you logging in and out or respawning, clogs up the servers back end, making it lag for everyone else. You've all seen the red and yellow chain links right? Some broken, some not. This is because someone, or a few people are logging into the server or re-spawning excessively which clogs up the back end making it lag for everyone else. They've already disabled respawning which is reducing this, the next step is to decrease server hopping to increase server performance for everyone else.

This is no bug, it's a test of methods to combat alt+f4'ing and excessive server hopping to make the experience of DayZ better for everyone else. They may take it down, or they'll put a different method in. All I know, is that when you play the game legitimately and think about what your doing in regards to finding a decent server (i.e. go on ones you know are good), then you don't get punished by this system.

DayZ is just great. It's such a great running simulation after a respawn in Kamenka. I always hated Arma because of shooting and weapons. Now DayZ gave me the opportunity to run and crawl for hours! This is what everyone wishes to play after a hard days work!

I see a lot of people saying that players should just stick to one server. I'm sure all of these points have been stated and reiterated at some point during the thread, but noone seems to be getting the point so I'll do it again.

Positive aspects of this new 'feature':

1. Server hopping for loot is gone.
  2. Server hopping to avoid players or to outmaneuver enemies is gone.
  3. Combat disconnecting is extremely limited; if you disconnect you have to stay disconnected for a long time or risk spawning on the coast. Or you could log back in and take the shot you deserved.

And here are the negative aspects:

1. Servers that are 'good' for me in my area have a tendency to go offline permanently or to not appear in the server list for many of my friends.
  2. Sometimes servers are just whacked up; you can get stuck at the loading screen for an hour on a server that ran perfectly for you the day before. What do you do now?
  3. Sometimes servers change settings. I've been on veteran servers that change to recruit-style settings (position on map, other shitty features) later. Do I keep playing here? Even though I'd rather play on harder settings, I can't now because of this 'feature'.
  4. New friends or friends already playing can't join me, as they'd be warped to the coast and likely shot if they left whatever server they inhabit.
  5. It would be virtually impossible to team up with people outside of your server, since they'd have to die and lose it all before they're willing to spawn on the coast for you, unless they think they can make it to safety before they're butchered on the coast.
  6. Many helpful organizations are virtually destroyed by this. Say goodbye to trading, rescue groups, and medics. Medics especially have to hop servers probably 5+ times per hour in order to meet up with patients. That's not even to avoid conflict, just to meet up on the same plane of existence to render services. And even then, patients and medics often get very different servers listed and have to try meeting up on several different ones to see which works enough for both parties.
  7. Again, what happens when your chosen server goes down? I had a clan a month ago. We established a decent sized camp and actually managed to get a working vehicle under the noses of the ruling clan on that server. It took us a week and a half. The day after we fixed up our truck the server went down, and hasn't appeared again since. You're telling me that I have to risk the coast in my good gear because the server I played on doesn't exist anymore?
  8. Not to mention the other potential abuses of admin power. If I'm banned from my server for whatever reason, what do I do now? What if a hacker appears and teleports everyone to the NWAF. No way in hell I'm staying on that server, I'll go to a night one to sneak out of the airfield and then return. I'm not about to be punished by hackers and stay on the now swarming airfield to get shot.

That's just a list of things off the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see combat disconnection and server hopping removed. But this just isn't the answer. This 'feature' causes far more pain to legitimate players than to server hoppers. If you have a server that works perfectly for you 100% of the time, that's fantastic. But much of the playerbase isn't so lucky, and what happens to friends who are on different servers? New friends who want to play with you? They have to essentially sacrifice their character, for no good reason. If this stays permanently, I'm afraid I'll have to stop being a medic. I'd only be able to help people on the coast since I have to server change to meet people, and doubtless I'd be shot on sight by every makarambo and bandit on the coast for the gear I carry alone.

Excellent post. Most of what I was thinking about and even more.

Hackers? NO PROBLEM!

Server hoppers? OMFGWTF WE NEED TO RUIN THE GAME FOR EVERYBODY TO FIX THIS GAME-BREAKING ISSUE.

I'm not playing until this shit is fixed.....well maybe some pvp in cherno for a change.

It's funny because I predict a spike in hacking due to this sort of 'fix'.

I've already met a few 'friendly' hackers, people who hack but don't grief other people. They hack to get around some of the ridiculous systems in this game. With this new random teleporting issue, hell I can hardly blame them. I spent two hours trying to meet up with my buddy last night, we were playing right beside one another in the same room I mean, so very easy to communicate. But was just dealing with constant BS along the way, we finally did meet up and the server shut down, proceeded to spend another half hour meeting up..... Then I had to leave for work. I also work night shifts, so if I want to play on the same server as my friends constantly, I have to play during night like 90% of the time. I know it's part of the game, but just because I work strange shifts this negatively impacts me... So yeah I usually have two or three servers that I play on, with different time zones, and they go down from time to time so I have to find new ones for that time zone etc...

Seriously though, as others have pointed out, server hopping is an issue but there are many other way more important issues that need to be dealt with first. Leaving them broken while 'fixing' server hopping just screws over the average joe.

Im finding this thread pretty amusing at how oblivious most people, so i'll be nice and fill you all in with what I know.

This server hopping, will happen regardless of what version of DayZ you are running. It's to do with the servers having updated recently to their latest code to track players logins and actions.

So how does it work exactly? Whenever you DC/ Alt+F4 during combat, you will be put back to the coast! Excessive logging in and out, put back to the coast! It's monitoring your actions, and then deciding whether or not you are legitimately logging on and off, and punishing you by putting you at the coast if the database thinks you are playing unfairly. All the posts say very much the same thing, and me and another friend have found this ingame too. It's only happened to me once, and thats because I tried logging onto the same server, about 2-3 times without it working. So I tried a different one, and it put me at the coast. A friend of mine had logged during combat the night before when me and a mate got killed, and the next time he came in, he was on the coast.

So your wondering how to avoid it yes? 1: Don't log during combat, sure fire way to get you back to the coast. You get caught in a gun fight, hang around the area for about 5-10 minutes then move away a good 500 metres or so and put yourself in a bush and log. I myself got caught in combat last night, and a friend died, me and my other mate hung around the area and managed to kill 1 of the 2 people who shot our mate, the other DC'd. We stayed in the area for about 5 minutes just to make sure, before running over the other side of the field to log out for dinner. Came back in, and was in exactly the same place, both of us.

2: You log into a server and it's laggy. Wait for 10 minutes. The reason it's doing this with legit server hopping, is because you logging in and out or respawning, clogs up the servers back end, making it lag for everyone else. You've all seen the red and yellow chain links right? Some broken, some not. This is because someone, or a few people are logging into the server or re-spawning excessively which clogs up the back end making it lag for everyone else. They've already disabled respawning which is reducing this, the next step is to decrease server hopping to increase server performance for everyone else.

This is no bug, it's a test of methods to combat alt+f4'ing and excessive server hopping to make the experience of DayZ better for everyone else. They may take it down, or they'll put a different method in. All I know, is that when you play the game legitimately and think about what your doing in regards to finding a decent server (i.e. go on ones you know are good), then you don't get punished by this system.

It's cute that your entire post is pretty much an assumption... Meanwhile the majority of posts in this thread detail the numerous reasons ( Which you conveniently ignore ) that server hopping occurs legitimately. There are dozens of real decent reasons to hop servers, most of them due to other glitches and issues in the game that ACTUALLY need to be fixed, such as hackers, graphical errors, and then simply wanting to play with friends...

Also I'm pretty sure your assumption that some sort of software is tracking and deciding whether people are being legitimate or not is pretty much complete trash. I've seen no official mention of it anywhere, and if a developer spent the time figuring out the coding for it, they would damn well announce it and be proud of it. But also because I have been on the same server for the past 12 hours since I heard that it was due to 'server hopping' and so far, with just logging into the same server, I've been ported to the coast twice. That's without getting stuck at loading and alt f4ing or any of that business. Also that's with logging in about eight or nine times over two six hour gaming sessions. Sometimes I need to log out due to important phone calls, cooking, taking a dump, or dealing with room mates. I do not Alt F4 out. All my versions are correct and I only join servers that host the same versions as I run. Also when I do log out to cook or use the washroom or any of that business, I don't relog right away... It's usually at least a five or ten minute break, so it shouldn't appear as random sketchy behavior or server hopping...

So please don't try and sound like you know what's going on when you have less of a clue than the average tool posting here. Being negative and simply assuming that everything is working correctly doesn't really help improve anything. Sometimes mistakes are made, and they need to be dealt with.

also I'd like to say that this change would be fine, if hackers weren't such an issue, if vehicles and tents saved properly, and if the dozens of other things fucked up with this game weren't fucked up. But as it stands there's way too many legitimate reasons to leave a server, and this coast teleporting thing makes this game a complete fucking headache for me. I love this game, but there's only so much pointless shit and abuse I can take from it. There are REAL issues that need fixing that ACTUALLY effect the average player.

Edited by Hysterics
  • Like 2

Please stop spamming this thread, edit your posts ffs. There is a temporary fix on the previous page, this isn't twitter, you don't need to make a new post every minute updating us of your activity.

Sorry but I'm not here for shits and giggles. I'm here complaining about an issue that's wasting my god damn time constantly and making this game nearly impossible to play with friends. I don't feel like wasting yet more of my fucking time by making my posts look prim and proper for you. Do you even have a valid contribution to this thread anymore, because quite frankly I'd rather read one person quoting and responding to four legitimate posts with four legitimate responses over four separate posts than read you spamming the thread with absolutely no input other than to try and be a control freak.

I mean hey, I've heard that it's a great idea to provoke people who are already upset. It's been known to settle grievances in many cultures.... Right.... If you don't have anything useful to say, don't say it.

No wonder you have over 700 posts.

Edited by Hysterics

I'm loving it, my fat ass camping character needs the run, I hide his food at the top of the map, server hop and make the fat bugger run up to where his food is...........

• Like 2

I'm loving it, my fat ass camping character needs the run, I hide his food at the top of the map, server hop and make the fat bugger run up to where his food is...........

Haha, run fatty :P

Some of us enjoy doing other things, such as play with our friends, and avoid being neutered by hacker script kiddies. Although I'll say that the scenery in this game is pretty awesome, and the sky when turning from night to day is brilliant... lol.

Killed probably around 30 people since this has started happening and i am going to continue killing more until it is fixed.

i havent had this punishment yet. I have however had the punishment of being KO for about 5 minutes. Other day I was running along when some guys pulled up on a motorbike doing doughnuts. i was just watching and saying LOL when battle eye lost contact with me and i got kicked. i came back on immediately and as i passed out saw the bike lying there ( i figure this server was having a BE problem at that moment). really wanted to get that bike and waited the whole timer, then server restarts.

back to topic.. i always make a point of waiting several minutes before trying to join another server if ctrlaltdel for a thunderdome event. wait before joining. that is only way to explain. i also switch servers occasionally just to play vs more ppl and again wait several minutes before joining. try this if you havent. if u have i dunno

i am glad there is some attempt to stop ghosting, hopping etc tho. its within the framework of arma 2 really. hope for better in future standalone, it shall happen imo

I was spawned at the beach before I updated to 1.7.2.5 then updated and its all fixed. no longer being spawned back at the coast, I even server hopped to make sure.. ;)

if this indeed is an intended feature there should be some kind of threshold because losing all of your work because the server you play on can't connect to is beyond frustrating

it's an extremely harsh change if intentional... HOWEVER:

alt+f4 and ghosting was legit and destroying the game. at least 50% of my total 'kills' and almost 100% of my kills where i didn't manage to insta-kill the guy were ruined by aborting kids. not to mention the ever present risk of their hidden friend server hopping to ghost around and flank from behind at any moment. the harsh change was absolutely necessary.

if this change is here to stay - find a server you like and stick to it.

seriously, the aborting/ghosting problem is waaaaaay worse than hacking imo. you think you're having a fair and legit fight, then some ass just decides to LOLQUIT and get a free kill on you because he server hops and teleports into the bush directly behind you.... hackers you just spot a mile off - then leave game and contact an admin.

Edited by tarquinbb
  • Like 1

It's cute that your entire post is pretty much an assumption... Meanwhile the majority of posts in this thread detail the numerous reasons ( Which you conveniently ignore ) that server hopping occurs legitimately. There are dozens of real decent reasons to hop servers, most of them due to other glitches and issues in the game that ACTUALLY need to be fixed, such as hackers, graphical errors, and then simply wanting to play with friends...

Also I'm pretty sure your assumption that some sort of software is tracking and deciding whether people are being legitimate or not is pretty much complete trash. I've seen no official mention of it anywhere, and if a developer spent the time figuring out the coding for it, they would damn well announce it and be proud of it. But also because I have been on the same server for the past 12 hours since I heard that it was due to 'server hopping' and so far, with just logging into the same server, I've been ported to the coast twice. That's without getting stuck at loading and alt f4ing or any of that business. Also that's with logging in about eight or nine times over two six hour gaming sessions. Sometimes I need to log out due to important phone calls, cooking, taking a dump, or dealing with room mates. I do not Alt F4 out. All my versions are correct and I only join servers that host the same versions as I run. Also when I do log out to cook or use the washroom or any of that business, I don't relog right away... It's usually at least a five or ten minute break, so it shouldn't appear as random sketchy behavior or server hopping...

So please don't try and sound like you know what's going on when you have less of a clue than the average tool posting here. Being negative and simply assuming that everything is working correctly doesn't really help improve anything. Sometimes mistakes are made, and they need to be dealt with.

also I'd like to say that this change would be fine, if hackers weren't such an issue, if vehicles and tents saved properly, and if the dozens of other things fucked up with this game weren't fucked up. But as it stands there's way too many legitimate reasons to leave a server, and this coast teleporting thing makes this game a complete fucking headache for me. I love this game, but there's only so much pointless shit and abuse I can take from it. There are REAL issues that need fixing that ACTUALLY effect the average player.

Well yes, it will be an assumption as I only read the first 3 pages of the thread. Im currently at work and therefore don't/ didn't have time to read through all 13 pages. And I chose to ignore the legitimate reasons as they've been mentioned numerous times. I myself log in and out when going for a lengthy of period of time, to either the toilet or to cook food and what not. Yet this has not happened to me yet.

As for my "assumption" on the tracking of logging in and out; http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42806-pending-update-build-1724/page__hl__%20tracking%20%20logins have a read my friend. As you may note that in the list, there is a line in the changelog stating: [New] Hive now tracks login/logout (to assist in the analysis for an ALT+F4 solution). There are also numerous interviews that Rocket was in on youtube, where he further talked about this change and the plans that he has once he has all the data.

My post was intended to give an outline of what is happening, and what it is trying to prevent. Sorry if it didn't quite come out that way, but what is the point in talking about the legit reasons constantly, when theres very little attention to why this sort of thing is happening and what it's trying to prevent. Just a shame that 90% of the issues won't, can't or are very hard to fix until the game goes standalone.

This only happens if u close the game while in the loading screen, and there is a fair few servers that wont load in which forces you to close the game so this is still a big problem.

This only happens if u close the game while in the loading screen, and there is a fair few servers that wont load in which forces you to close the game so this is still a big problem.

Hey am I the only one enjoying this it's like a totally free ride to the coast

This topic has made me scared to change servers! :( so now I'm waiting like an hour befor I join another one

Hey am I the only one enjoying this it's like a totally free ride to the coast

I haven't logged in since Friday. I don't mind dying to a player, but to a bug, after obtaining what I have, I'll pass until it's fixed.