rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

minecraft has a plugin called combat logger that is a fix for ppl who logon when they are about to die in pvp...just puts a npc player in the players spot for 60 seconds with there stuff so they can still die and b looted after...good stuff.

"Is there anyway we can report players that do this at the moment?"

-on our servers that vigilant addiction runs we have a list of known loggers so that when it becoms punishable we can do so...

But i agree THIS HAS TO BE ADRESSED AS A NUMBER ONE TOP PRIORITY ISSUE! ROCKET IF U READ THIS DROP EVERYTHING AND DO SUMTHING ABOUT THIS PLEASE. its far more important that underground cities and the freaking camo suit and tents...shdu have actally been fixed b 4 the mod even launched IMO. its a compleat game killer when u kill sum one who is decked out with high lvl gear and then he alt f4's out and his body dissapears....

Learn some proper fucking grammar before you start making autistic demands.

• Like 2

Probably already mentioned, probably not the best idea by my 2 pence (i'm from England) lock characters to servers.

Want a new player to mess about with on the coast ... join a new server, want to play with your fully geared dude who just had a firefight at the NW airfield is bleeding and has broken legs ... go back to the server you just got raped in.

From what I understand it wouldn't be too hard to implement, it has some flaws obviously like it won't stop people logging when sh*t hits the fan but it means if they want to save their precious char with all their gear the're going to need some friends to help, and the patient ones among us will ofc know this, friends come to help a logger = more loot ... win/ win.

I think it's pretty apparent from me being one of the admins of southcoastbeanwars.com that I'm a huge DayZ nut but even I feel tempted to just give up on the game until this issue is fixed.. it's no fun having epic gun battles with people then having them disconnect before you put in the kill shot which means you have to immediately vacate the area lest they log in behind you :\

This has been said a million times but I just have to throw my 2 cents in now; its becoming an absolute epidemic on all servers due to the mods rising popularity.

Please Rocket can you and the team make this the priority right now. It is a massive grievance by itself but it's close to getting so out of control that everyone is going to begin adopting the exploit. Whether its so they aren't killed by server hoppers or whether people may start to think "well if that guy doesn't want to lose his stuff, then why the hell should I lose mine?" an appalling 'meta' will start to evolve if this isn't ended soon.

I love this mod a great deal and for the most part think people don't cut you guys enough slack with bugs and implemented changes you are testing etc. but this issue is so important right now that I feel obliged to post.

3 things would make me happy (yes here comes the reposted requests):

1. 30-60 second wait on logouts. (in an ideal world it could be set per server according to preference much like CH and 3D)

2. Death on logout if bleeding.

3. 10min wait to reconnect to the same server but only if you have connected to a different server in the mean time. (i.e. if you disconnect from server A and connect to server B you can't get back on A for 10mins.)

Just to add some originality to my post; yesterday I watched a guy with a AK74 kobra murder some poor guy with no weapon; I grab my hatchet and chase the murder, manage to take 4 or 5 unsuccessful swings and then despite the fact that I know he still had ammo he logged off when I ran after him across a field. Cowardly murders at their 'best'.

Your work is fantastic Rocket, but the game is plagued by this issue, please fix it soon!

• Like 5

Maybe fix the servers first,sometimes you need to change servers frequently becouse servers make you get stuck at waiting for character to create,or are night servers,or have bad ping on entery and so on...Im aginst server hoppers and zombie disconecters,but be careful with this one....

I agree with most of what has been said. The disconnecting to avoid death seems to be getting more and more rampant.

Either that, or the usual server hopping to gain a positional advantage/farm loot, but that's a different thread in it's own right. :)

Awesome mod and some good progress being made right across the board in my opinion. But this problem really needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Edited by GeordieMarv
  • Like 2

would there be anyway for the server logs to detect the player logging out as his health is dropping rapidly? (like being shot, or attacked by a horde) and punish him on respawn with something extreme, like a pack of wolves (or bigfoot, i like that idea). something that distinguishes between d/c from pussy-ing out from death and from d/c when you just have low health (which i almost always do, i usually get smacked by one zed or two occasionally)

Jesus christ, people. Is it not obvious that it is not possible to keep the player on the server? Think about for a few seconds, and you'll see why its not being done this way. You act like this is in the capabilities of the DayZ team to implement, well, they only really have control over spawns, inventory, health, sickness, temperature, and all that other stuff they added. They can't just keep a player in the server.

set the ping timeout to 30 seconds?

I'm not bothering reading the entirety of this thread, so forgive my post if it seems ignorant. A timer is what should be done when logging out, but in a smarter way (Ill explain further on), whatever problems (bugs) the timer creates in the game itself, try and fix them, as its the only way to stop death avoidance, and it is fair.

Warning everyone about their log history is stupid, as potentially punishing everyone for a few actual players disconnecting to avoid death is a quick fix for the problem and it will by what I've seen from skimming through this thread is nothing but a bad idea, and will piss most people off.

If Rocket, if you, can some how see the code info on a players shots and where they are hitting, have maybe an area of effect timer that activates wherever shots are fired, so all players have a timer in that area when they log off, this forces a player to leave the timed area of effect - which will make them leave their cover and potentially get shot, or log out then and there and leave themselves open to attack with no defense, the timer will last to whatever you test with and see as balanced.

The other method could be if a player is close to you, and when you're by yourself, there is a log out timer that could in conjunction with shooting, when shots are fired, there is a longer timer, than in general. So to re cap my messy post, when you are by yourself, there is no timer, when you are by yourself and shoot with no other players around, there is a short timer, when there is another player around and there is no shots, there is a longer timer, when there is another player around and shots are fired, there is an even longer timer.

This is not unbalanced with logging off if there are zombies, as with the latest update, zombies are easy to lose as they depend on their sight quite well, and I personally think logging off to get rid of zombies is an exploit. This is my message to Rocket, please find something from this, as punishment from logging out to kill your character is as annoying as spawning in the debug, the game is more evil than the players or zombies, which I do not think should be done, I only wish to be killed my own in game world stupidity (falling, drowning, starving, etc) or zombies or players.

I'm not bothering reading the entirety of this thread, so forgive my post if it seems ignorant. A timer is what should be done when logging out, but in a smarter way (Ill explain further on), whatever problems (bugs) the timer creates in the game itself, try and fix them, as its the only way to stop death avoidance, and it is fair.

Warning everyone about their log history is stupid, as potentially punishing everyone for a few actual players disconnecting to avoid death is a quick fix for the problem and it will by what I've seen from skimming through this thread is nothing but a bad idea, and will piss most people off.

If Rocket, if you, can some how see the code info on a players shots and where they are hitting, have maybe an area of effect timer that activates wherever shots are fired, so all players have a timer in that area when they log off, this forces a player to leave the timed area of effect - which will make them leave their cover and potentially get shot, or log out then and there and leave themselves open to attack with no defense, the timer will last to whatever you test with and see as balanced.

The other method could be if a player is close to you, and when you're by yourself, there is a log out timer that could in conjunction with shooting, when shots are fired, there is a longer timer, than in general. So to re cap my messy post, when you are by yourself, there is no timer, when you are by yourself and shoot with no other players around, there is a short timer, when there is another player around and there is no shots, there is a longer timer, when there is another player around and shots are fired, there is an even longer timer.

This is not unbalanced with logging off if there are zombies, as with the latest update, zombies are easy to lose as they depend on their sight quite well, and I personally think logging off to get rid of zombies is an exploit. This is my message to Rocket, please find something from this, as punishment from logging out to kill your character is as annoying as spawning in the debug, the game is more evil than the players or zombies, which I do not think should be done, I only wish to be killed my own in game world stupidity (falling, drowning, starving, etc) or zombies or players.

as far as im concerned there are 2 major issues with disconnecting. 1) those who disconnect immediately after taking a shot at you & missing or getting hit once (ive seen plenty of people quietly disconnect after theyve become aware of other people around them and i dont really mind that). 2) those who disconnect from a server and rejoin having moved positions in another server. these are the 2 groups that are exploiting the whole dc thing.

your idea is all well and good in principle, but seems needlessly complex without testing the viability of a simple 'one size fits all' timer. to me a 30/60 second log-out timer seems the simplest option for dealing with problem 1, and therefore probably the best. for option 2) the simplest way to me would be to forbid players to rejoin a server for a set time (say 15 minutes) after disconnecting.

Hell, if it goes tits up its not like it can't be removed/adapted in the next patch - trial and error is part and parcel with an alpha.

as far as im concerned there are 2 major issues with disconnecting. 1) those who disconnect immediately after taking a shot at you & missing or getting hit once (ive seen plenty of people quietly disconnect after theyve become aware of other people around them and i dont really mind that). 2) those who disconnect from a server and rejoin having moved positions in another server. these are the 2 groups that are exploiting the whole dc thing.

your idea is all well and good in principle, but seems needlessly complex without testing the viability of a simple 'one size fits all' timer. to me a 30/60 second log-out timer seems the simplest option for dealing with problem 1, and therefore probably the best. for option 2) the simplest way to me would be to forbid players to rejoin a server for a set time (say 15 minutes) after disconnecting.

Hell, if it goes tits up its not like it can't be removed/adapted in the next patch - trial and error is part and parcel with an alpha.

I completely disagree with punishing people with a 15 min ban... its retarded, it put me off halo reaches multiplayer, mainly because I'd lose connection for whatever stupid reason, I got bored, I wanted to go into a different match, and I'd get banned, mommy over players, its moronic and stupid, and you'll just piss people off, no game, ever, should have a 15 min ban, or ban for whatever reason, it doesn't fix the game play, it just adds frustration and loses players. A timer makes everything fair. Eve online has a timer, and it does it well, in fact most of that games mechanics is based on timers. I think in principle as you said my idea is good, and it is complex for now, but I know it would work in the future, but for now, a timer is needed in general, it would make it balanced, for everyone. The server hopping could use the same sort of thing, 30-60 second cooldown to rejoin, just like a respawn timer. Edited by Alyxm

if u get shot at or shoot or have a zombie within 40m of u then u get what is called "battle signs" what now happens is that u have to wait 2 mins to log out of the game or if u try the d/c glitch or server hop u will be left ingame for 2 mins apon u closing the game down but if u dont have "battle signs" then ur free to log out anytime

if u get shot at or shoot or have a zombie within 40m of u then u get what is called "battle signs" what now happens is that u have to wait 2 mins to log out of the game or if u try the d/c glitch or server hop u will be left ingame for 2 mins apon u closing the game down but if u dont have "battle signs" then ur free to log out anytime

I think all of the NON banning ideas, and NON killing your character after multiple warnings ideas, are better and should be implemented post haste (the timers I'm talking about). Edited by Alyxm

Just save the serverinfo where you get hurt. If you try to login to another server when hurt, you die.

If you login to the same server, you get a 2min hourglass.

There has to be some troubling mechanic behind this, because its abnormally annoying.

Simple solution wich someone already has mentioned: Logging out by making a fireplace and using the scroll menu = Insta logout. Logging out anywhere else = character stays 30 secs.

Has worked in Ultima Online for 15 years...

Edited by RaZzi

This is the same discussion like in EVE online a couple of years ago, the other big game of "no mercy".

Yes you can disconnect to avoid death. Pointing fingers doesn't help. Enforcing a disconnect timeout does. If you know your body will stay for another five minutes around for zombies to gnaw your bones and bandits to dress you up in pink bunny clothes you surelly will not disconnect light hearted.

Yes you can lay login traps (that is you lay an ambush consisting of several people waiting logged out with one scout logged in until the target shows up, then they log in en mass). Making people spawn slightly away from their log out helps a lot: People have to regroup and catch up, giving any target a reasonable warning. Consider this a "pre-action timeout".

Hmmm. And you wonder why the MMO/Shooter idea hasn't really taken off. Do you get upset when someone in Battlefield decides to log when you're shooting at them? Now let's look at other MMO's. In Aion/WoW/Ua/FF... and so on... when you die from a mob or player you don't loose all of you progress that you have been working towards. At most you just get sent back to some other place. Now I wouldn't want to see that here. If you just kept your same kit then the whole risk/reward would be stripped. Though people are trying to play this as a progressive MMO. Which it is kinda modeled to be. With the aspect of perma-death added in for realism. So we have to find a compromise.

Now thanks to some that have posted here and that I have conversations with my views have evolved, but some of the extremities are just that. First of all, timers are fine, but have to be done right. So here's my positions which have been stripped from ideas here, talking to others in chat, and some of my own.

• Standard Log-Out - !5 second timer where the player is capable of viewing his surroundings but not moving or activating anything without the timer being canceled.
  • Combat Log-Out - Upon Damage or Act of Aggression (firing a shot / melee) a 3 min timer would go into affect. This would count down in the back ground and when a player attempts to log the remainder of the time would have to run down before logging would be successful. Now upon attempting to log the same would apply as to not moving or using activation's, but looking would still be permitted. A 15 second minimum would still apply as well. In other words once 3 minute timer reach 15 seconds then the Standard Log-Out would apply. Of course each new Damage or Act of Aggression would renew the 3 minute timer.
  • Server Re-Connection - This may blow, but it's needed to curb some unwanteds and a net for some honest problems. A 5 minute "Same Server" re-connection wait. This is added to deal with Game Crashes and Connection loss. If for some reason you loose connection or you game crashes you would be instantly removed from game. Now some may not like this, but the idea of someone having an Avatar for you to kill or loot in COMPLETELY ABSURD. I know what you're saying. "People will just Alt-F4 or Reset their router". Yeah, I know this is possible. That's why you can't reconnect to the Same Server for 5 minutes. If someone wishes to go through the hassle of restarting the game or wait for their router to reconnect and still then wait 5 minutes, then fine. They can go through all that bullshit till the cows come home for all I am concerned. We absolutely have to build in some sort of net to help cushion honest problems happening to honest players in this. If you are having someone get killed and lose all of their progress because of crappy servers or game bugs then we'll be dropping players like dead flies. What this will do though is buffer those that are disconnecting then moving to preposition on another server, then popping up behind you on the original server.

Some here may want the timers lengthened or additional penalties to apply and I look forward to reading your additional ideas and reason behind, but we have to be careful not to let our frustration affect what we're doing here. Alpha Testing. We're here to help Rocket and his crew develop a balance game.

• Server Re-Connection - This may blow, but it's needed to curb some unwanteds and a net for some honest problems. A 5 minute "Same Server" re-connection wait. This is added to deal with Game Crashes and Connection loss. If for some reason you loose connection or you game crashes you would be instantly removed from game. Now some may not like this, but the idea of someone having an Avatar for you to kill or loot in COMPLETELY ABSURD. I know what you're saying. "People will just Alt-F4 or Reset their router". Yeah, I know this is possible. That's why you can't reconnect to the Same Server for 5 minutes. If someone wishes to go through the hassle of restarting the game or wait for their router to reconnect and still then wait 5 minutes, then fine. They can go through all that bullshit till the cows come home for all I am concerned. We absolutely have to build in some sort of net to help cushion honest problems happening to honest players in this. If you are having someone get killed and lose all of their progress because of crappy servers or game bugs then we'll be dropping players like dead flies. What this will do though is buffer those that are disconnecting then moving to preposition on another server, then popping up behind you on the original server.

Surely (if implementable) the idea I outlined above: "10min wait to reconnect to the same server but only if you have connected to a different server in the mean time. (i.e. if you disconnect from server A and connect to server B you can't get back on A for 10mins.)" Both allows for harsher penalties for server hoppers while not punishing honest DC's (which happen for any number of reasons).

• Combat Log-Out - Upon Damage or Act of Aggression (firing a shot / melee) a 3 min timer would go into affect. This would count down in the back ground and when a player attempts to log the remainder of the time would have to run down before logging would be successful. Now upon attempting to log the same would apply as to not moving or using activation's, but looking would still be permitted. A 15 second minimum would still apply as well. In other words once 3 minute timer reach 15 seconds then the Standard Log-Out would apply. Of course each new Damage or Act of Aggression would renew the 3 minute timer.

This idea is superb, like my imagined solution to server hopping your idea about different log outs allows maximum punishment for ALT-F4 jockeys while not screwing over honest survivor types.

Jesus christ, people. Is it not obvious that it is not possible to keep the player on the server? Think about for a few seconds, and you'll see why its not being done this way. You act like this is in the capabilities of the DayZ team to implement, well, they only really have control over spawns, inventory, health, sickness, temperature, and all that other stuff they added. They can't just keep a player in the server.

you can indeed keep a player one the server by sying when they logg out they are still present at then server as sort of ghost players then if you disconect to avoid death you will die anyways the problem i think is when players try to log in and out to fix ugs this will interferr as they will not be compleatly logged out when they press abort and they can to this cause charr data is not stored client side it is stored server side at least as i see it

I completely disagree with punishing people with a 15 min ban... its retarded, it put me off halo reaches multiplayer, mainly because I'd lose connection for whatever stupid reason, I got bored, I wanted to go into a different match, and I'd get banned, mommy over players, its moronic and stupid, and you'll just piss people off, no game, ever, should have a 15 min ban, or ban for whatever reason, it doesn't fix the game play, it just adds frustration and loses players. A timer makes everything fair. Eve online has a timer, and it does it well, in fact most of that games mechanics is based on timers. I think in principle as you said my idea is good, and it is complex for now, but I know it would work in the future, but for now, a timer is needed in general, it would make it balanced, for everyone. The server hopping could use the same sort of thing, 30-60 second cooldown to rejoin, just like a respawn timer.

sorry i think there may be some misunderstanding. i am not suggesting that people get a 15 minute ban, just that they are unable to log back onto the same server for a set amount of time. want to carry on playing? just join another server. that way it stops people from leaving a server, moving, and then rejoining. there may be some problems with genuine disconnections yes, but this could be tempered somewhat by including a 'proximity' variable to other players (ie if you dc within x metres from another player you cannot rejoin for x minutes)

Just fix this. Shitload of ideas in the thread.

Any of these will do for now.

-Logout timer

-Cannot logout when bleeding

-Cannot logout when in shock

If you quit the game while bleeding. Your char will just stay in-game until you die or log back in to stop it.

• Like 4

not able to logout when bleeding or unconsciousnessor BAMM DEAD at relog. i find the easiest, best solution.

or a countdown that beginns when you log out. still able to move etc. for the non alt+f4ers (legit dc) alt+f4 will jsut stay there.

edit: damnit ajkimedes almost ninjad

Edited by Bezki